Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21  
    I still don't get it, and I had a good nights sleep. The iPhone glass does not break; it gets broken! Big difference! I know people who routinely put their phones in their shirt pocket, bend over throughout the day, and drop their phones on concrete. That is not a phone problem; that is a stupid human problem.

    The Pre, on the other hand, is riddled with design flaws that make it breakable just with regular usage. Not the same thing! There are a lot of people with iPhones who have a smartphone for the first time. They still treat it like the dumb, free phone they are used to. No high-tech equipment should be treated the same as a child's toy. Even so, the iPhone is amazingly durable, with quality parts and construction.

    Again, I implore the OP to give justification for this thread. It is not a legitimate discussion of technical merits, or a comparative assessment of two products. It is just a mindless cat-fight: bait for a flame-war. For a second time, I call for a mod to close it down.
  2. #22  
    I see no reason to shut this thread down as long as everyone keeps it civil. The glass screen that has been reported for the Pre 2 is enough reason for asking about members' experiences with glass screens on other devices.
  3. #23  
    Very well. I say again, glass does not break; it gets broken. It is much less likely to scratch than plastic. Anyone who has worn glasses for a long time knows that glass is a much better choice.

    The glass in the iPhone, and most other high-end phones, will not scratch by putting it in a pocket full of lint, keys, or nails. In the case of the iPhone 4, the glass on the back does not seem to be of the same quality as the glass on the front, thus giving you a perfect example of good glass, and not so good glass. Most examples of iP4 breakage are of the back glass, and relatively few of those considering how many of them are out there. In all cases, it is a matter of user inflicted damage. Those who are accident prone should sport a protective case. Problem solved.

    Those worried about the P2's glass screen have nothing to fear. Your beloved plastic screen only existed because Palm cut many corners, and used cheap materials. They did not choose plastic because it was better, but because it was cheap. Going to a good glass screen is an order of magnitude better.
  4. #24  
    Dan, I think OP was using Treo, Pre and iPhone 3 & 4 to make comparisons. Amazing how discussions comparing products can be so easily turned into "flame wars". That's reading way too much into OP's post.

    /hands Dan some caffeine inhibitor. =P

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    I see pandas.
  5. #25  
    So you want to talk broken screens... My dad has a 3GS, and has dropped it everyday for most of a year. It finally shattered. I took him to the Apple Store today to get it sorted out. The genius noted that the liquid sensors had been tripped as well. The phone had taken enough of a beating that the back had also cracked.

    Amazingly, it just kept right on working as if nothing had ever happened. I found out he had been using it in this condition for the last couple of weeks. I shot a quick video before giving it to Apple and replacing it with a new one.

    Can you break the glass? With enough time and determination, you bet. Can you make it stop working? I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

    Enjoy.
  6. #26  
    My $0.02 on the iPod/iPhone glass. I have a 1st gen iPod, it has scratches on the glass and nick taken out of the metal sides, though this isn't anything compared to the crap I have subjected it to. I've sat on it, thrown it, slide off my dash and out my window of my moving car, and it's been dropped countless times. There isn't a single crack in the screen, though I do fear one day it will just fall to pieces, lol. In my experience, you have to try to break glass like this, and this is on an old, outdated glass standard of a media device.

    Bring on the glass.
  7. Buis's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
       #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    OP, please give some reason why the iPhone screen is important to you. What is your point?
    The Pre2 screen is said to be made out of gorillaglass, same as iPhone 4. I have good experiences with non-glass displays, and see a lot of broken glass around me. The point is: glass display: yeah or nee. Should I be happy with the glassness?

    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Are you saying the Treo was built better than the iPhone?
    I'm saying that I have a Treo with an in tact display, in spite of regularly dropping it.

    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    They don't even make the Treo anymore. How is that relevant to anything?
    Wait. You are making me regret answering you now...

    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Are you saying that since the iPhone has such a fragile screen, the Pre shouldn't have a similar screen?
    Nope. I'm asking.

    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Are you saying that since the iPhone has sooo many problems, the Pre is great by comparison?
    Nope. Would you like me to?

    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    All of these things are absurd, but I need to know which of these absurd things to mock.
    Knock yourself out kid.

    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I suspect that some people are getting a bit antsy and nervous about the P2, and have to work off some of that nervous energy by picking a useless fight. Perhaps a nice mod will come along and close this thread.
    Judging from the diversity of the responses, this thread is pretty good at getting polarized responses.

    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I will end with my usual charge. Love what you love, and let go of the rest.

    Good night, all.
    ...

    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    That is not a phone problem; that is a stupid human problem.
    I disagree. Anything that gets used a lot like a phone gets dropped. If you don't drop it, you're not using it enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Again, I implore the OP to give justification for this thread. It is not a legitimate discussion of technical merits, or a comparative assessment of two products. It is just a mindless cat-fight: bait for a flame-war. For a second time, I call for a mod to close it down.
    Dude!
    Is this a "nee" then?
  8. #29  
    Glass will more likely crack than plastic....but it most likely won't scratch. If you are accident prone, don't get a phone with a glass screen (which is becoming tougher and tougher).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions