Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
  1.    #1  
    I am looking for a good entry level smart phone for my wife.

    wanting some feedback as to what people think is a better option Pre or Samsung Transform.

    My wife mainly would use her phone for Texting, calls, and would like to use google voice for international calling.

    Maybe some light web browsing and e-mail that supports Hotmail.

    She won't do much multi media and will most likely keep the phone stock.

    This will be her 1st smartphone.
    4G is not necessary and we do not need the expense of 4G that is why going with the Transform over the epic is what we are considering
  2. #2  
    if its sprint I would go with the transform unless you can wait for 2.0 to come out
  3. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #3  
    The transform is the next best thing to the evo/epic on sprint atm...

    I would not recommend buying a pre minus on sprint with new devices on the horizon from HP/Palm its just too outdated.
  4.    #4  
    I am leaning towards Plam because of UI, Is there a way for Google Voice to work on Pre? My Wife uses it for international calls.

    Also I have read the Specs on transform , it is 800mhz, with the Uberkernal & Guvnah, the Pre screams.

    She is a 1st time smart phone convert, coming from a LG rumor.
    The Pre will be way ahead of what she is used to and very little learning curve to using it.

    I bet it will be dirt cheap if not Free with service contract ..
  5. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    I am leaning towards Plam because of UI, Is there a way for Google Voice to work on Pre? My Wife uses it for international calls.

    Also I have read the Specs on transform , it is 800mhz, with the Uberkernal & Guvnah, the Pre screams.

    She is a 1st time smart phone convert, coming from a LG rumor.
    The Pre will be way ahead of what she is used to and very little learning curve to using it.

    I bet it will be dirt cheap if not Free with service contract ..

    And you said the phone would likly be left stock which to me means no uberkernel. And stock vs stock the transform walks all over the pre.

    It has dual cams with the one being auto focus aka real barcode scanning etc. If she is coming from a rumor I would assume she is use to landscape keyboards which the transform has. The pre kb might be to cramped for her.

    No google voice on the pre. Not sure if the transform has Qik but Qik can be link to Gtalk for video chat so the front facing camera might has some value to her has well.

    I know a lot of people who most would consider iD10ts but use android like any other phone with no trouble. Yet handing them my pre and they look at me stupid when it comes to swiping around and doing gestures.
  6. #6  
    are you on verizon? They will be adding skype to webOS, but vzw has that as an exclusive deal with skype.

    but, the fact that they will be doing it means all the parts will be there for someone to develop support for google voice.

    in my dreams I am imagining that jason is already building that and will propel him to many $millions selling that sort of app to the grateful masses. I think it would be downloaded more than preware (assuming it's in the standard catalog).

    any developers listening?
  7. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    I am looking for a good entry level smart phone for my wife.

    wanting some feedback as to what people think is a better option Pre or Samsung Transform.

    4G is not necessary and we do not need the expense of 4G that is why going with the Transform over the epic is what we are considering
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    are you on verizon?
    The transform is only on sprint
    The epic is only on sprint
    4G is only on sprint (t-mobile 3.75G doesn't count as 4G)

    Conclusion hes on sprint.
  8. dreamer3kx's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    #8  
    Web OS is stupid simple, great OS for basics, top that off with all the goodies.
  9. #9  
    I'd check out the Engadget review of the Samsung Transform here... they're saying it's not worth the $150 price tag
  10. #10  
    I'm giving my standard answer for these types of threads.

    If you must get the Palm Pre, ebay.
    Otherwise, get something more current.
    The Palm Pre is simply not worth a 2-year contract.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    And you said the phone would likly be left stock which to me means no uberkernel. And stock vs stock the transform walks all over the pre.

    Well I will add some tweaks and patches for her that she won't even notice.

    I plan on patching it with Uberkernal & other performance tweaks.

    I still have my Pre which is in good working order so I will most likely let her test drive it before we buy her one.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer3kx View Post
    Web OS is stupid simple, great OS for basics, top that off with all the goodies.
    Another reason why I am leaning towards Pre.. Android much broader learning curve..
  13. #13  
    If I can use Android out of the box, anyone can . So not really. But you do need some apps depending on what you're planning on doing. Android needs better built in messaging and music apps for starters, IMO
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by spatel14 View Post
    I'd check out the Engadget review of the Samsung Transform here... they're saying it's not worth the $150 price tag
    I liked the Transform. It has a clean Android option, for one. More pocketable than the Epic 4G is another. I don't mind LCD and no 4G at this point.

    But then I did remember the screen was a bit washed out like the review says.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15. #15  
    Got my wife a transform and my overclocked Pre is much faster. The Pre gives you a faster browser and more it even opens angry birds faster.

    The transform seems to have a good build quality and the camera has auto focus so you can scan barcodes. The android market is full of crap apps and you never know for sure if the apps will work on your phone until you try them out. comes with "android 2.1" but Froyo is supposed to be released soon.

    #1 reason the Pre is better "PreCentral" try looking up information or finding help for the Transform and you will see the problem with having so many different Andriod phones. Not much room for a low end device when everyone is developing for the high end andriod devices.

    if you want to Patch and overclock get the Pre. If you just want a plain boring phone like my wife get a transform.

    just my 2 cents
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Flak1969 View Post
    try looking up information or finding help for the Transform and you will see the problem with having so many different Andriod phones. Not much room for a low end device when everyone is developing for the high end andriod devices.
    Or maybe, just maybe it's difficult to find info on problems specific to the Transform because it is very new to the market.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Flak1969 View Post
    Got my wife a transform and my overclocked Pre is much faster. The Pre gives you a faster browser and more it even opens angry birds faster.
    Not surprising given the transform has an 800GHz clock speed out of the box.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flak1969 View Post
    The transform seems to have a good build quality and the camera has auto focus so you can scan barcodes. The android market is full of crap apps and you never know for sure if the apps will work on your phone until you try them out. comes with "android 2.1" but Froyo is supposed to be released soon.
    The Android Market knows the searching/browsing device's API level and won't display apps a device is unable to run. If you removed all of the apps you define as "crappy," you would still probably have 10 times more apps in the Android Market than in the entire webOS Catalog - even with all of webOS's "crappie" apps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flak1969 View Post
    #1 reason the Pre is better "PreCentral" try looking up information or finding help for the Transform and you will see the problem with having so many different Andriod phones. Not much room for a low end device when everyone is developing for the high end andriod devices.
    Check out the Samsung Transform-dedicated forums at Android-Central, Android Forums, and Android Community - plenty of help there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flak1969 View Post
    if you want to Patch and overclock get the Pre. If you just want a plain boring phone like my wife get a transform.
    Show your wife how cool you are and root and overclock her Transform for her (Link).
  18. #18  
    how about a pixi?
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Flak1969 View Post
    Got my wife a transform and my overclocked Pre is much faster. The Pre gives you a faster browser and more it even opens angry birds faster.

    The transform seems to have a good build quality and the camera has auto focus so you can scan barcodes. The android market is full of crap apps and you never know for sure if the apps will work on your phone until you try them out. comes with "android 2.1" but Froyo is supposed to be released soon.

    #1 reason the Pre is better "PreCentral" try looking up information or finding help for the Transform and you will see the problem with having so many different Andriod phones. Not much room for a low end device when everyone is developing for the high end andriod devices.

    if you want to Patch and overclock get the Pre. If you just want a plain boring phone like my wife get a transform.

    just my 2 cents
    That's simply not true about the apps. I have about 35 apps and none of them are "crappy". Sometimes you get buggy apps and Google removes any that are suspicious. Email the developer about bugs. The good ones fix bugs, the ones who ignore get nice comments to avoid them in the reviews. But the apps generally do work as advertised.

    And there's room for low end when you can't spend $200+ but still need a decent phone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    I am looking for a good entry level smart phone for my wife.

    wanting some feedback as to what people think is a better option Pre or Samsung Transform.

    My wife mainly would use her phone for Texting, calls, and would like to use google voice for international calling.

    Maybe some light web browsing and e-mail that supports Hotmail.

    She won't do much multi media and will most likely keep the phone stock.

    This will be her 1st smartphone.
    4G is not necessary and we do not need the expense of 4G that is why going with the Transform over the epic is what we are considering
    Transform is $149.99 on a 2 year contract and uses the same processor as Samsung Moment which itself was outdated when it was released. It is basically the Pixi processor running at 800 MHz instead of 600 MHz.

    I think a PRE is "far" better. It is much cheaper than a transform and is better equipped. With webOS 2.0 whatever feature is missing from webOS compared to Android will be added (i.e. mic API). PRE also feels better in the hand and your wife might like it better anyway.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions