Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    I got em both (1 work, 1 personal) and I LOVE my Pre so much more. I find things frustrating about both but overall I enjoy my Pre way more. I admit there are some really cool features with the Transform but I have yet to hear of any phone that is perfect.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I could never recommend a pre to anyone at this point. Maybe if you asked me a year ago I would but not now. The pre has so many issues and it runs so slow. The battery life is also awful. Judging from the reviews I read the transform performs really well and you can do such more with it. So much better applications to chose from.

Trust me I got my wife a pre and she hated it so much. At that point I thought the pre was decen. She always complained about it until I got her the epic 4g and she absolutely love it.
    Transform and EPIC are completely different. Epic has Cortex A8 at 1 GHz that is an ARM v7 class processor with the best in class graphics chip SGX 540, it comes with 512 Mb of memory.

Transform on the other hand has SEC6410 which was used in samsung moment and is unchanged in transform. It has 256 Mb of memory as well so basically you are talking about a samsung moment here with android 2.2 (which was never ported to original moment as it was discontinued after only 7-8 months on the market).

Pre is slow or feels slower because of 256 MB of memory and use of non-hardware accelerated technologies. PRE Plus fixed the low memory problem and webOS 2.0 should fix the hardware acceleration. In any case PRE is and will be better than a transform ever would.

With Transform at $150 and PRE at $0 from HP there is no contest, if they are both at $150 even then PRE is better.

TO the OP, you might want to look at Optimus S as it has somewhat better innards than Transform (similar processor running at 600 MHz but better Graphics and twice as much RAM with a 3.2" screen) and at $50 is $100 cheaper. Optimus is reported to be very fast (could be due to almost stock Android). I don't know "anything" about build quality though.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Transform and EPIC are completely different. Epic has Cortex A8 at 1 GHz that is an ARM v7 class processor with the best in class graphics chip SGX 540, it comes with 512 Mb of memory.

Transform on the other hand has SEC6410 which was used in samsung moment and is unchanged in transform. It has 256 Mb of memory as well so basically you are talking about a samsung moment here with android 2.2 (which was never ported to original moment as it was discontinued after only 7-8 months on the market).

Pre is slow or feels slower because of 256 MB of memory and use of non-hardware accelerated technologies. PRE Plus fixed the low memory problem and webOS 2.0 should fix the hardware acceleration. In any case PRE is and will be better than a transform ever would.

With Transform at $150 and PRE at $0 from HP there is no contest, if they are both at $150 even then PRE is better.

TO the OP, you might want to look at Optimus S as it has somewhat better innards than Transform (similar processor running at 600 MHz but better Graphics and twice as much RAM with a 3.2" screen) and at $50 is $100 cheaper. Optimus is reported to be very fast (could be due to almost stock Android). I don't know "anything" about build quality though.
    LG phones are pretty solid when it comes to hardware, Optimus is a phone I was looking at personally and it's not bad, definitely the best low end android phone on sprint.
    Don't marry someone because they are "Not bad." Don't buy a phone because it is "not bad."

Wait until the Black Friday Ads come out. Best Buy is supposed to have the LG Optimus S for $1.

Over your two-year contract you will spend nearly $2,000. Are there better ways to save 10%?

Best Buy will have the Transform for $69 on Black Friday. But if cheap is what you are looking for, get the LG.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/17/2010 at 03:30 PM.
    How much is the Evo going to be on Black Friday?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I agree with many here. With January only a couple months away, and HP Palm slated to announce new hardware sometime in the first few months of next year, I think the Pre now would be a waste, especially to hold her out for a year or two. I would go with the newer hardware if she needs a phone now, and milominderbinder is totally right about the black friday deals for the Transform for $70, and the new LG Optimus S for $1 at BestBuy.
    Palm Pre on Sprint. WebOS 1.4.5
    If I helped you, a thanks would be much appreciated (Thanks button located on right side)
    I have an eclair 2.1 android phone as well as a palm. WebOS is a joy to use. Android isn't a feature I'd brag about, that's for sure. It feels like a third world OS. It's possibly the worst mobile OS out there. I'm not even sure it was designed for phones. It has no consistency. Android is buggy so if you like a dialer that crashes when you get calls, get an android. Android is not good for switching between activities. Android's back button is a mystery as to where it will take you when you press it. Notifications that cannot be dismissed and notifications that can not be cleared individually are a hallmark of this disgusting mess of a UI. The only thing is really has going for it is first party apps by google and even some of those (browser, contacts) are often far inferior to what tiny Palm was able to create. If you want a phone that does what you want it to, then buy a palm. If you want to have the worst mishmash of ideas in your hand, then get android. It really doesn't matter what hardware you put android on, it's still a horrible mess lowest common denominator OS.
    If, say, you were to get the same meeting invitation sent to both an android and a webOS device, and let's imagine for a second it has an embedded URL in the body of the invite, and you were to open this on both phones, you would be presented with two vastly different experiences. On the webOS phone, you would get an invite that you can accept or decline, and see a URL that is highlighted that you can click and would open in the browser card. On the android device, you would not get a meeting invite. You would get an email, that you would open and not be able to decline the meeting and you would see the URL, but it would not be highlighted. You would then press the URL and nothing would happen. You would then, perhaps, in desperation... attempt to reply to the meeting invite so that the text would be selectable, it would not be. You would be unable to copy the string in any fashion from the body of the mail, on android. It's just one example of how thoughtfully designed android is. Well, they must just not have meeting invites or embedded URLs in Africa. Where is the handcrank on this android phone, anyways, it certainly can't require a power outlet to function out here where toilet paper hasn't been invented.
    Last edited by konsole; 11/19/2010 at 07:07 AM.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    You make some good points, the causal racism? Not so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    You make some good points, the causal racism? Not so good.
    I perhaps went to far in jest drawing analogy of an underdeveloped region with an underdeveloped OS. I guess I can see how you could misconstrue the analogy as speaking not about a region but skin tone. That certainly was the farthest thing from my mind.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=konsole;2766180]It feels like a third world OS. QUOTE]

No need for that bro
    first off to the post prior, I read that link that you said about OC the transform (due to I was looking into for my girl) and on there as well as other sites they said it cant be done. Mostly not cant, but the mods on there stated why bother since it has the same processor as the moment and the OC on that device did nothing for its performance. Second if your just getting a device to buy you sometime, until something else comes out that catches your eye, do what someone said on here go on ebay or CL and get one used and activate it. Then you can keep your upgrade for when you do something worth your wild.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12