1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    4.2% within the US, Android is the only OS to increase share from Jun 2010 (bear in mind this is in an expanding market).

comScore Reports September 2010 U.S. Mobile Subscriber Market Share -- RESTON, Va., Nov. 3, 2010 /PRNewswire/ --
    In other news, HP partners with HomeDepot to get lower prices on screwdrivers and other window-wedging technology...

By the way, does anyone know why the numbers for Jun-10 in this report does not match the Jun-10 column from the last report?
    Well, nowhere to go but UP!
    ...with new hardware.
    ...eventually.
    Considering the weak hardware they are releasing coupled with the sheer volume of both windows phones and android phones currently on the market and coming to market and the enevitable release of iphone on Verizon and possibly sprint and tmobile i expect that webos market share to do nothing but plummet.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I am considering getting an itouch to tether until everything comes out in the wash this February. Everybody will have dealt their cards and I'll have a good idea of which network and phone to go to
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    4.2% within the US, Android is the only OS to increase share from Jun 2010 (bear in mind this is in an expanding market).

comScore Reports September 2010 U.S. Mobile Subscriber Market Share -- RESTON, Va., Nov. 3, 2010 /PRNewswire/ --
    The table isn't about webOS, it's about Palm, Inc. That means a portion of that fading 4.2% market share is PalmOS. The decrease from 4.7% to 4.2% might simply be PalmOS phones finally giving up the ghost, but it also indicates that whatever 0.5% of Palm's customers were using last quarter, they didn't switch to the Pre.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    P.S. I reccommend dropping them a line on twitter (or FB) that this is a little bit too quiet too long
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    The fact that the smartphone market as a whole grew and Palm stayed flat at around 4% means they are selling phones. It's not like webOS phones aren't selling or anything.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    The table isn't about webOS, it's about Palm, Inc. That means a portion of that fading 4.2% market share is PalmOS. The decrease from 4.7% to 4.2% might simply be PalmOS phones finally giving up the ghost, but it also indicates that whatever 0.5% of Palm's customers were using last quarter, they didn't switch to the Pre.
    not necessarily.

given that its only looking at percentages there are other possibilities.

first, unquestionably, there is a margin of error in any poll, even from poll to poll, and while we cannot say for certain what that margin of error is, there is a very good chance it is larger than the .5 percentage points palm has lost

second, this looks at the percentage of the total market, which has grown, and thus palms position may be a relative drop, and so we cannot assume that the loss in percentage is in any way indicative of a mass exodus of original palm users. we also cannot assume that it is caused by those users not moving to webOS.

for example the -2.8 from rim and -2.8 from microsoft added to the -.5 from palm fall short of the 6.5% gain that is seen by android (the only gain over all) so the hard numbers have shifted in ways that make such conclusions impossible.

But all of my objections are desperately pedantic, I think the overall position of palm has not changed, they are the underdogs by a mile when it comes to subscribers, HP needs to pull out some serious tricks to get that number up.
    The numbers translate roughly into the following for the last 3 months:
    Code:
    Co.      Increase
    -----------------
    RIM:         1.4M
    Apple:       1.9M
    Google:      5.0M
    MS:         -664K
    Palm:         66K
    • The smartphone market grew by a little under 8 million units.
    • Microsoft is the only one in the red.
    • Palm is pretty flat.
    • Everyone else has added over a million units this quarter with Google adding 5 million.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVisibleShadow View Post
    Well, nowhere to go but UP!
    considering they went down from 4.7% to 4.2% i think they actually can go somewhere other then up.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The fact that the smartphone market as a whole grew and Palm stayed flat at around 4% means they are selling phones. It's not like webOS phones aren't selling or anything.
    Clearing out existing inventory at "free on contract" or near free with giftcards and Touchstone bundles for both new and existing subscribers isn't the same as "selling."

In fact, it is a bad sign if you can't outpace the market selling for $150-200 while practically giving your own products away or outright paying people to take them. But, developers know this already which is why you see Windows Phone 7 gaining 50 percent of the amount of WebOS apps in 1/18th of the time.
    I have the same question I had when I saw last quarter's report: Is webOS part of "Linux"or "Other OS"?
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I have the same question I had when I saw last quarter's report: Is webOS part of "Linux"or "Other OS"?
    The answer remains the same: They're part of the "Not Worth Distinguishing OS" group. Not a good place to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The answer remains the same: They're part of the "Not Worth Distinguishing OS" group. Not a good place to be.
    Ouch! Seriously though, I'm curious and would like to know mainly because webOS is based on Linux but then so is Android. So I'm curious which ones are in the "Linux"category. I understand that both categories are bad, just wondering. Does anyone know?
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Ouch! Seriously though, I'm curious and would like to know mainly because webOS is based on Linux but then so is Android. So I'm curious which ones are in the "Linux"category. I understand that both categories are bad, just wondering. Does anyone know?
    Given that both "Linux" and "other" exist, I'm thinking webOS probably falls into the latter with the former being Linux-based platforms that haven't created an appreciable identity of their own (e.g., ELSE's mobile Linux platform).
    Interesting quote from the full Gartner article:
    "Smartphone OS providers have entered a period of accelerated platform evolution, stimulated by more regular product releases, new platform entrants and new device types, said Roberta Cozza, principal research analyst at Gartner. Any platform that fails to innovate quickly either through a vibrant multi-player ecosystem or clear vision of a single controlling entity will lose developers, manufacturers, potential partners and ultimately users."
    The probability of gaining developers and users in the first place will also be very low.