Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Not the new Pre2, not the lack of features in webOS, although I hope webOS 2.0 would fix some of that, not the fact that the Palm name may go away. It is the lack of respect from Palm/HP to its user base. Do we deserve this complete lack of communication? Do we deserve to be in the dark on what we should do or where to go from here? Sprint users do not even know if they will ever get another webOS device, VZN users know that they are getting a Pre 2 in the coming months, in the coming months? Are you kidding me? Why? Why do you Palm/HP disrespect your user base?

Say what you want about Apple, but one thing they do, they respect their user base, they tell them exactly when the new product is coming through and they come through with the product in time.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    Why? Why do you Palm/HP disrespect your user base?
    Maybe HP Palm should be asking, "Why consumers do you not purchase more of our HP Palm products?"

It's about respect. It's about marketing. And, it is all economics.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by neutron View Post
    Maybe HP Palm should be asking, "Why consumers do you not purchase more of our HP Palm products?"

It's about respect. It's about marketing. And, it is all economics.
    How would consumers know that there are products to be bought if HP/Palm cannot even commit to a time table?

Where is the marketing to the new Pre 2 on VZN?

Even in their new commercial adds about their new printers they say "You can print from any wireless device", isn't that a golden opportunity to promote their phones instead of saying "Any phone"?
    How would consumers know that there are products to be bought if HP/Palm cannot even commit to a time table?

Where is the marketing to the new Pre 2 on VZN?

Even in their new commercial adds about their new printers they say "You can print from any wireless device", isn't that a golden opportunity to promote their phones instead of saying "Any phone"?
    They do show them using a pre though. It's a start.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by tsquare2112 View Post
    They do show them using a pre though. It's a start.
    How would your average Joe know that the phone shown is a Pre? it looks very generic to non Pre owners.
    Say what you want about Apple, but one thing they do, they respect their user base, they tell them exactly when the new product is coming through and they come through with the product in time.

Thoughts?
    I don't know a whole lot about Apple, but, did not the iPhone 4 get left in a bar in San Francisco or something, it was somebody's prototype and they 'accidentally' forgot it there and someone else found it and then it was national news? I'm pretty sure that that was supposed to be a secret at the time, and a brilliant marketing campaign that cost, $0.00. Gotta love CNN(sorry I should change that dollar amount to whatever they cost at the time, no clue, somebody else go ahead)

I'm not sure of the details of the following release date and whether or not it was on time.
    I'm also guessing that "when they are ready to ....." "...they tell them exactly when the new product is coming through and they come through with the product in time." and not a second sooner.
    Just got off the phone with sprint's cancellation department. The agent said that they should be getting a new webos phone soon, but at this point I think he was just trying anything to keep me on their plan. When it came down to it they couldn't commit to anything. Now I am waiting on a call back. My plan is set to end at the end of this cycle now. I hope they call me with some good news soon.
    Trust me if all use webos users start doing this, sprint will be forced to do something. And hp would support them in this.
    I just want a yes or no to webos from sprint. Its not asking much. If they said no I might consider staying just for being straight with me. Saying nothing is rude.
    I think Palm has been in the dark with themselves the past year. They didnt know what would happen when they were needing someone to bail them out. Apparently, Ive read, the Pre 2 was supposed to be released in the summer but obviously due to the buyout, it wasnt. Now that Palm is finally settled with HP, they are releasing a new device.

Im sure it is not Palms fault who gets it and when it is released. Isn't it up to the carriers to want the device and to choose when to release it? Im sure they would want it on ALL carriers but its not up to them. Verizon has been the only ones who agreed to take it so far in the U.S. and until THEY give a release date, Palm cant. But HP has already stated they will sell an unlocked version right? And I dont remember but have they given a date for that? From the articles on P|C you can pre order it on the 8th.

As far as TV ads go, do phone makers usually put ads on TV showing off their phone and then saying coming soon? I thought they usually start advertising when its available.

Apple has one carrier to deal with so far and thats AT&T. Im sure its a lot easier to release something on time every year when you have a continuous deal with the carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Apple has one carrier to deal with so far and thats AT&T. Im sure its a lot easier to release something on time every year when you have a continuous deal with the carrier.
    And when you're not in the turmoil of going broke/corporate takeover. Apple is on all carriers up here.

I was at a Roger's store last weekend and I didn't see any signs of the coming Pre 2. You are probably right, once it's out, it'll be advertised. On a side note I got asked how I liked my BB Torch. I told them I hated it and got a Palm instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpkrules@yahoo.com View Post
    Trust me if all use webos users start doing this, sprint will be forced to do something. And hp would support them in this.
    I just want a yes or no to webos from sprint. Its not asking much. If they said no I might consider staying just for being straight with me. Saying nothing is rude.
    This just seems backward to me. Shouldn't you "force" Palm to release a product Sprint wants to/is able to carry?
    there is one thing that would make me jump ship, it is....

IF (and they probably will) VZW desides to hold on to the pre plus2 and cripple out the GPS yet again
    I think Palm has been in the dark with themselves the past year. They didnt know what would happen when they were needing someone to bail them out. Apparently, Ive read, the Pre 2 was supposed to be released in the summer but obviously due to the buyout, it wasnt. Now that Palm is finally settled with HP, they are releasing a new device.

Im sure it is not Palms fault who gets it and when it is released. Isn't it up to the carriers to want the device and to choose when to release it? Im sure they would want it on ALL carriers but its not up to them. Verizon has been the only ones who agreed to take it so far in the U.S. and until THEY give a release date, Palm cant. But HP has already stated they will sell an unlocked version right? And I dont remember but have they given a date for that? From the articles on P|C you can pre order it on the 8th..
    But that is just it. It is Palm's fault. As a business owner, you must take responsibility for what happens to your product in the marketplace. The above reasoning is like saying "It's not Palm's fault WebOS didn't succeed the first time around. It's up to the customers to buy the devices." In America, the first customers are the carriers.

Any agreements with carriers - including exclusive ones - are mutually agreed upon by Palm and the carrier. So if they are exclusive on Sprint, that is on them. If they are exclusive on Verizon for the Pre 2, that is also on them. If they can't get product to all carriers at once - like Samsung Galaxy S - then that is also on them. If they don't make product US carriers want...that is also on them.
    my question is would Sprint, TMO, and AT&T offering the Pre 2 this holiday season, either through those specific carriers, ording a very small amount hurt them? Or HP offering all 4 Version for the US through them, with contract requirments as a option really hurt them? Even just considering Sprint for a second, couldnt Sprint ask customers if your interested in the Pre 2, you can preorder it now, and we will have HP ship the devices to those asking for it. I really don't see the issue here, though Im asking this question hoping maybe somebody has a answer to it thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    my question is would Sprint, TMO, and AT&T offering the Pre 2 this holiday season, either through those specific carriers, ording a very small amount hurt them? Or HP offering all 4 Version for the US through them, with contract requirments as a option really hurt them? Even just considering Sprint for a second, couldnt Sprint ask customers if your interested in the Pre 2, you can preorder it now, and we will have HP ship the devices to those asking for it. I really don't see the issue here, though Im asking this question hoping maybe somebody has a answer to it thanks.
    From what I understand, this business model is extremely unwieldy for the manufacturers who pay a lot for production runs and need to make each one count. HP probably doesn't need warehouses full of WebOS product sitting around waiting for people to order it. I mean, they probably got their fill of that when trying to fire sale the existing Palm inventory after the merger. They gave away gift cards and "power bundles" for several months now, and are still burning through stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    From what I understand, this business model is extremely unwieldy for the manufacturers who pay a lot for production runs and need to make each one count. HP probably doesn't need warehouses full of WebOS product sitting around waiting for people to order it. I mean, they probably got their fill of that when trying to fire sale the existing Palm inventory after the merger. They gave away gift cards and "power bundles" for several months now, and are still burning through stock.
    and that makes alot of sense, so then did the question ever arise, in that why would HP offer the device to Verizon out of all the carriers in the US, considering how Verizon treated the Plus version months ago? Was it that only Verizon said yes to carring the Pre 2, or have some sort of clause in carring the device? To me why not even just try to offer it to TMobile the carrier who dosent have a Webos device at all, if understanding that Sprint did in fact turn this verison down?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But that is just it. It is Palm's fault. As a business owner, you must take responsibility for what happens to your product in the marketplace. The above reasoning is like saying "It's not Palm's fault WebOS didn't succeed the first time around. It's up to the customers to buy the devices." In America, the first customers are the carriers.

Any agreements with carriers - including exclusive ones - are mutually agreed upon by Palm and the carrier. So if they are exclusive on Sprint, that is on them. If they are exclusive on Verizon for the Pre 2, that is also on them. If they can't get product to all carriers at once - like Samsung Galaxy S - then that is also on them. If they don't make product US carriers want...that is also on them.
    Yes, it was palms fault they went under. But now HP is trying to get it back on its feet. Im not familiar with the process of getting a phone on mulitiple carriers and all, but I would assume that a maker of a phone would want its product on all carriers. They present the phone and its up to the carrier to put it on their network or not. To me, The Pre 2 might have been presented to all the carriers, but Verizon was the only one who took it....so far. It hasnt been announced that it was going to be EXCLUSIVE on verizon, has it? The carriers have a choice too. Its not ALL Palms fault it isnt on all the carriers.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpkrules@yahoo.com View Post
    Just got off the phone with sprint's cancellation department. The agent said that they should be getting a new webos phone soon, but at this point I think he was just trying anything to keep me on their plan. When it came down to it they couldn't commit to anything. Now I am waiting on a call back. My plan is set to end at the end of this cycle now. I hope they call me with some good news soon.
    Guys,

this is not another "Sprint is getting/ not getting the Pre 2" thread I started. This is my modest opinion about why some people like myself are frustrated with the lack of communication from HP/Palm to the user base. If VZN has an exclusive deal with the Pre 2 then fine, announce that. If Sprint rejected the Pre 2 then fine, let us know so we can make decisions, leaving us in the dark just leaves a sour taste in my mouth, that's all.
    sprint iphone
    Guys,

this is not another "Sprint is getting/ not getting the Pre 2" thread I started. This is my modest opinion about why some people like myself are frustrated with the lack of communication from HP/Palm to the user base. If VZN has an exclusive deal with the Pre 2 then fine, announce that. If Sprint rejected the Pre 2 then fine, let us know so we can make decisions, leaving us in the dark just leaves a sour taste in my mouth, that's all.
    Yeah, I think it got a little off topic. Well I hope the problem is that they are still in talks with other carriers so they cant really announce anything yet other than what they know. And all they know is that the Palm Pre 2 is coming out on Verizon whenever Verizon wants to release it. If they DO know the details already, then I agree. Announce it. If they know when they are planning on releasing 2.0 to all of us, announce it. I agree with you. I hate not knowing.
    To me, The Pre 2 might have been presented to all the carriers, but Verizon was the only one who took it
    If that's the case, it should tell you something.

I'm not sure about the logic in this thread. I don't see any carrier making a habit out of announcing which phone they are not carrying. If you don't see it on their availability list, then move on. Change carrier if you must for the phone or change phones if you must for the carrier (or just stick with the phone you have if it works for you).

HP answered a request for getting the Pre 2 on Sprint by telling people to go tell Sprint that you want it. That should tell you something. I could be wrong on this, of course, but it says to me "Sorry, but we have not yet been able to convince them to carry it."

And this thing about blaming everyone but Palm is something I just don't get either. If you make a product that no one wants, you have two choices. Go make a better product or you can try and convince people that they really do want it. Either way, it is YOUR problem as a company, not that of your potential consumers.

On the point about just having Sprint allow people to pre-order it: The problem, I believe, is that Sprint would still have to support it. Let's face it, when your phone gives you problems, you tend to go to the carrier first. This would translate into support cost from Sprint. So if they don't want the phone, my guess is they don't want any of the costs associated with it either.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast