Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    On the point about just having Sprint allow people to pre-order it: The problem, I believe, is that Sprint would still have to support it. Let's face it, when your phone gives you problems, you tend to go to the carrier first. This would translate into support cost from Sprint. So if they don't want the phone, my guess is they don't want any of the costs associated with it either.
    I think the point was HP was allowing you to pre order it. Not Sprint. Unless I missed someone saying that. But I was commenting on the communication from HP Palm. They are giving us a date to pre order the unlocked pre 2 because they have control over that. They cant give us a date on anything else because, in my opinion, the carriers have control over that. So far, as far as communication goes, they have told us they have the Pre 2 coming out. You can pre order it on the 8th. It is coming to Verizon. To me, thats all the things they have control over to tell us. Oh and they said they are coming out with new devices in 2011. Just dont know what. And 2.0 WILL come to everyone before the end of the year. So I think we have a good idea what to expect. I think we are all (including me) just impatient and eager to get new stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I think the point was HP was allowing you to pre order it. Not Sprint. Unless I missed someone saying that.
    Yeah, I was responding to the following:
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    Even just considering Sprint for a second, couldnt Sprint ask customers if your interested in the Pre 2, you can preorder it now, and we will have HP ship the devices to those asking for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Yeah, I was responding to the following:
    Ah. Missed that one.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Agreed. HP should be advertising the phone independently of the carrier, and the carriers should be advertising the phones they have committed to (why would VZ sign on to carry the Pre Plus or Pre 2 if they weren't going to try to get people to buy them?)

In the end, the customer is screwed (as usual). Capitalism at its finest!
    both hp and rahul sood have said that new webOS devices will be coming out. they even told you when: 2011.

as for sprint, their business strategy is centered on 4g now (trying to leverage the first-to-market advantage with that). the pre2 doesn't do 4g, so they will take a pass on it.
    Almost since the day of release, the iPhone has been rumored to be headed to Verizon any day now. If you call Verizon to ask them about this, they will tell you nothing useful accept they do not carry it at this time. They cannot tell you about future plans and ongoing negotiations. Why on earth would anyone think Sprint owed them that kind of information?

The "entitlement generation" thinks they have a right to know everything. It sometimes comes as a shock, or appears to be rude when they are told to go pound sand. I agree that this is one of the worst run product launches in history. But, not telling you what their specific plans are for each carrier, and where negotiations stand, is perfectly within their rights. <comment deleted by mod>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/04/2010 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Rude
    I would jump ship if there was a fire on board and there was no other way out...
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    both hp and rahul sood have said that new webOS devices will be coming out. they even told you when: 2011.

as for sprint, their business strategy is centered on 4g now (trying to leverage the first-to-market advantage with that). the pre2 doesn't do 4g, so they will take a pass on it.
    So you are ok with just '2011' as an answer? I am not.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Almost since the day of release, the iPhone has been rumored to be headed to Verizon any day now. If you call Verizon to ask them about this, they will tell you nothing useful accept they do not carry it at this time. They cannot tell you about future plans and ongoing negotiations. Why on earth would anyone think Sprint owed them that kind of information?

The "entitlement generation" thinks they have a right to know everything. It sometimes comes as a shock, or appears to be rude when they are told to go pound sand. I agree that this is one of the worst run product launches in history. But, not telling you what their specific plans are for each carrier, and where negotiations stand, is perfectly within their rights. <comment deleted by mod>
    I think nothing I said justifies your aggressive response, since you are speaking about entitlement, who entitled you to be rude with others?

Anyway, I still stand with how I feel, you don't agree, that's fine by me.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/04/2010 at 12:53 AM. Reason: rude comment in quote deleted
    Please stay on-topic and away from rude comments. Remember - these discussions are about the products.. not the people.

Thanks
    ...clear the ship gas!

seriously though, here in corn country, it's hard to beat Sprint's connection quality for voice and data. Other carriers here are extremely slow data or crappy voice quality. Plus, they don't let us out much, so coverage elsewhere doesn't affect me.

So, unless another carrier can best them at a cheaper rate, I'm not shopping for a new carrier.
    I see pandas.
    I was in the golf business for 16 years and the whole "exclusive" thing may have even started there for all I know. The reason for exclusives is to keep the retail price up...no competition = no discounting = more profit! There's a reason that these phones debut on one carrier and it's all about making money. If every carrier had access to every phone none of them would make money because someone would undercut the others and a price war would ensue. Pretty quickly the phone would be selling at cost +10%, or less if there were manufacturer rebates involved, and ultimately none of the retailers would want to carry the item because they couldn't make any money on it. These dealers have a lot of overhead to pay for so they have to make money or the whole retail system falls apart and they're out of business. Don't expect Sprint to get on board for the Pre 2 because, as someone already stated, they're into 4G (wimax) now. That doesn't preclude them from jumping on the first HP WebOS phone and I would think they would since they probably already have the most loyal WebOS fan base. Give them a chance...
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    I was in the golf business for 16 years and the whole "exclusive" thing may have even started there for all I know. The reason for exclusives is to keep the retail price up...no competition = no discounting = more profit! There's a reason that these phones debut on one carrier and it's all about making money. If every carrier had access to every phone none of them would make money because someone would undercut the others and a price war would ensue. Pretty quickly the phone would be selling at cost +10%, or less if there were manufacturer rebates involved, and ultimately none of the retailers would want to carry the item because they couldn't make any money on it. These dealers have a lot of overhead to pay for so they have to make money or the whole retail system falls apart and they're out of business. Don't expect Sprint to get on board for the Pre 2 because, as someone already stated, they're into 4G (wimax) now. That doesn't preclude them from jumping on the first HP WebOS phone and I would think they would since they probably already have the most loyal WebOS fan base. Give them a chance...
    Except the phone is not the product that carriers sell. What they sell are the "plans". So exclusivity is for using a popular device to get you in the door to sell you a plan. The price of the phone really doesn't matter much, so undercutting makes little difference.
    Palm is being foolish. To be honest the majority of people that want the Pre 2 are on Sprint. I, myself, am on Verizon and do want the Pre 2 but did you see all the people that left posts on the Sprint Facebook page? The Pre Plus did HORRIBLE on Verizon and there are not many hardware changes between the two. The Pre 2 may dissolve into air on Verizon...
    By the way, the post was taken off of the Facebook page. We no longer know when the phone will be up for pre-order.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydenrobins08 View Post
    Palm is being foolish. To be honest the majority of people that want the Pre 2 are on Sprint. I, myself, am on Verizon and do want the Pre 2 but did you see all the people that left posts on the Sprint Facebook page? The Pre Plus did HORRIBLE on Verizon and there are not many hardware changes between the two. The Pre 2 may dissolve into air on Verizon...
    Is Palm being foolish or are they being rejected? From their response to the user that inquired about getting the Pre 2 on Sprint, it sounds more like Sprint said no (or at least hasn't said yes yet) to them.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    Guys,

this is not another "Sprint is getting/ not getting the Pre 2" thread I started. This is my modest opinion about why some people like myself are frustrated with the lack of communication from HP/Palm to the user base. If VZN has an exclusive deal with the Pre 2 then fine, announce that. If Sprint rejected the Pre 2 then fine, let us know so we can make decisions, leaving us in the dark just leaves a sour taste in my mouth, that's all.
    Yeah it sucks they can't tell us squat. I'm not leaving sprint so I just grabbed the epic and hopefully in a year hp will have some really nice hardware for sprint.

Side note; when I called to activate my new phone, the rep had mentioned the rumor she heard, was in Q2 2011 for new webOS devices. For the sake of all those sticking with sprint and webOS I hope a new device is coming sooner.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Yeah it sucks they can't tell us squat. I'm not leaving sprint so I just grabbed the epic and hopefully in a year hp will have some really nice hardware for sprint.

Side note; when I called to activate my new phone, the rep had mentioned the rumor she heard, was in Q2 2011 for new webOS devices. For the sake of all those sticking with sprint and webOS I hope a new device is coming sooner.
    That's the problem, rumors is all we got.
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    How would consumers know that there are products to be bought if HP/Palm cannot even commit to a time table?

Where is the marketing to the new Pre 2 on VZN?

Even in their new commercial adds about their new printers they say "You can print from any wireless device", isn't that a golden opportunity to promote their phones instead of saying "Any phone"?
    Didnt they announce a november 11 release date for the pre 2 on verizon? but there are other phones being released on november 11 and I havent seen a single commercial for them
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    If there is one thing that would make me jump ship, it is....
    A keyboard on an iPhone. Okay two things. A keyboard on an iPhone on Sprint. Even then, I would have serious webOS withdrawals. Nope. Not leaving.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12