1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The Canalys numbers are out, and with Android coming off an 886 percent jump reported at the end of the second quarter we were expecting something big. So, here it is: Android is up 1,309 percent worldwide from this time last year, taking over 43.6 percent of the US smartphone market in the third quarter. In terms of mobile operating systems that makes it the dominant player in America, but with Apple capturing 26.2 percent it now jumps into the lead when it comes to hardware, beating out RIM's 24.2 percent.
    Canalys: iPhone becomes most popular smartphone in the US, Android continues as most popular OS -- Engadget
    No surprises here… Android will never overtake iPhone because they split their vote among too many different phones and they will probably hold the lead in OS because they are still coming out with 20+ new phones a month.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Yippee
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    No surprises here… Android will never overtake iPhone because they split their vote among too many different phones and they will probably hold the lead in OS because they are still coming out with 20+ new phones a month.
    Android never needs to. It meets the needs, price points, and form factor wishes of virtually anybody on ANY carrier. It's the only OS that does so, so it kinda deserves to win, IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Android never needs to. It meets the needs, price points, and form factor wishes of virtually anybody on ANY carrier. It's the only OS that does so, so it kinda deserves to win, IMHO.
    Correct - and every single one of those many, many Android models feeds the Google information machine and makes them more money. Ingenious.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Correct - and every single one of those many, many Android models feeds the Google information machine and makes them more money. Ingenious.
    And why exactly does Palm (and now HP too I guess) need my physical GPS co-ordinates uploaded to them every evening? Not exactly the same reach Google has but it's along the same lines. And they're ALL going to collect and sell information because they can. Not enough people care, unfortunately - if they did Facebook would be a ghostland by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by sphere79 View Post
    And why exactly does Palm (and now HP too I guess) need my physical GPS co-ordinates uploaded to them every evening? Not exactly the same reach Google has but it's along the same lines. And they're ALL going to collect and sell information because they can. Not enough people care, unfortunately - if they did Facebook would be a ghostland by now.
    And that has *what* to do with this thread?
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I think that's obvious. He was commenting on the intentions of Google's Android (in the thread title) concerning their information gathering and I pointed out that Palm (this is a Palm site and I do own several in-use and backup - /+ Pre's) and others also do things of that nature. Do those words meet with your approval?
    Quote Originally Posted by sphere79 View Post
    I think that's obvious. He was commenting on the intentions of Google's Android (in the thread title) concerning their information gathering and I pointed out that Palm (this is a Palm site and I do own several in-use and backup - /+ Pre's) and others also do things of that nature. Do those words meet with your approval?
    My apologies, I didn't see what you were replying to due to a combination of factors. Won't happen again.