Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My first phone was the palm pre and i loved it only had it for 3 days. My dad made me get an htc hero (palm pre wouldnt allow some sprint applications to work after update)(later found out it was caused by updating my palm pre the third one i got, went to the sprint store once a day for 3 days,then i got a htc hero)
    I loved that phone soo much(palm pre) but I've heard of the palm pre having defects and breaking really fast....so I'm wondering if I should get it or not(for my birthday)

Android Xda are attempting to port the WebOS to htc hero sprint phone becuase their specs are really simular

but I don't know if I should wait for that (might have glitches) or If i should buy a palm pre off of ebay
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I'm on sprint, and went from touch pro 2 to the palm pre last week, and love it. The biggest thing I miss is garmin gps. I had it on my tp2, but can't get it on the pre. Other then that I love it.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Recently had a Tour and Hero, now on a Pre and just love Web OS so much more then Android, Hero was great but I was getting flashbacks of my HTC Diamond with the phone.
    I love the Pre. But I can't honestly advise it this late in it's life cycle. It's not the best phone in Sprint catalog right now.

edit: I see you are ebaying... In that case, I do recommend it...
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 10/31/2010 at 08:11 PM.
    if your coming from the hero like me go for the pre. the pre overclocked to 1ghz smokes that laggy hero to death.

if you want to stick to android go for the evo or epic.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks Rush hopefully I find a cheap palm pre below 100$ and then my dad will let me get....my hero laggs to much...and its the first gen android for sprint so no 1 ghz processor and they might stop updating the android software from 2.1..... so end of the line for that phone

(HOPEFULLY A NEW PALM PRE)
    You can listen to RUSH if you want to, or you can research and see that the Pre's defects are very real. I went through 6 of them in my one year with it. My wife is on her 3rd, mom is on her 2nd and brother is on his first. My brother's and mom's are on their last leg at this point. The wife's Pre is stil OK but has some issues (not really worth replacing just yet). So my advice to you is to do your research and get what you need. But do not believe someone who tells you that everything is peachy when there are lots and lots of documented accounts of very real issues (especially with the version of the Pre on Sprint). If you do get a Pre, my advice is to not lock yourself into a 2-year contract with it.
    I'm still on my first pre and I don't care what the guy above says I haven't had any problem as long as you don't mistreat the phone and abuse it like an old flip phone you will be fine I have no probs with anything including my slider no oreo effect at all I'm also overclocked @ 1.005ghz and love it.. You will be fine like I said as long as you don't abuse and slam the phone around or constantly drop it on the pavement
    Go with webOS! check out this thread - http://forums.precentral.net/general...k-my-pixi.html
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    @ taharka,
    In that case then every phone is considered to have some defect or another. I will admit that the pres have had some slider problems, it as a slider keyboard and slider keyboards do have a little loosness to it. However, if you don't try to twist both halves of the device to see how for it can go, then you should be fine. The pres might not be the sturdiest hardware available, but nonetheless, its not the worst either.(IMO) Some like it...while others may think it sucks. That's understandable.

Note: To the Official Poster(OP) I say again ~ I don't think you'll be disappointed in getting a pre. :-D

Best of luck.
    Actually, if I were you, I'd wait until January to hear what Palm is going to talk about at CES. There are rumoured to be 5 new phones from Palm next year. And they will all be better than the Pre.

And I have a hunch that some of them will come to Sprint. I have no information, it just seems likely.

And as much as we both love the Pre, the Pre can be laggy too if you don't overclock.

I'd wait to see if there's new exciting hardware coming from Palm. That's what I'm doing. Until then I hear Android now has Angry Birds. That should tie you over.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    @ taharka,
    In that case then every phone is considered to have some defect or another.
    Indeed. They ALL have their issues. The difference is they don't all require as many returns as the Pre.

I will admit that the pres have had some slider problems, it as a slider keyboard and slider keyboards do have a little loosness to it. However, if you don't try to twist both halves of the device to see how for it can go, then you should be fine.
    Sorry, but I never tried to twist anything. I simply used my Pre like I did any other smartphone (or product for that matter). Also, note that not all of my returns were due to the oreo effect. I've seen a trend of fans trying to make it look like anyone who has had issues with the Pre were somehow using it wrong. This is simply not true for everyone.

The pres might not be the sturdiest hardware available, but nonetheless, its not the worst either.(IMO) Some like it...while others may think it sucks. That's understandable.
    I respect your opinion on this. However, from a hardware point of view, the Pre has absolutely been the worst electronic product I've purchased. At no time in my life so far have I had to deal with so many issues on so many replacements of a product. Combined, my 4-line family plan went through about 12 Palm Pres (and there are still serious issues with 2 of the 3 remaining devices - one of wich has the infamous usb-door-crack that is creeping across the screen). I see from stories on this site and others that my experience is not really an unusual one. Again, this is from a hardware point of view. The OS can be debated from now until dooms day but it will boil down to preferences. On the hardware side, things need to simply work, consistently (i.e. for more than a month or two at a time).

Despite that, I'm not telling the OP to skip the Pre. I'm telling him/her to make sure the research is done first. If the Pre is what he/she wants, my advice is to not get it on a 2-year contract at this point in time.
    well I'm on my 15th pre and all I use it for is email,text, light web browsing, and for throwing through windows at riots I don't understand why palm make such awful hardware....

back to reality I love webos and the droid software is just clunky and not user friendly so I will continue t use webos as long as homebrew lives on!
    Quote Originally Posted by ddonahueiup View Post
    well I'm on my 15th pre and all I use it for is email,text, light web browsing, and for throwing through windows at riots I don't understand why palm make such awful hardware....
    If there isn't already a patron saint of Pre-users, I nominate you for beatification!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    If there isn't already a patron saint of Pre-users, I nominate you for beatification!
    I think its a joke, or are my mis reading the sarcasm is 'throwing through windows at riots' and the 'bact to reality' ?
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I think its a joke, or are my mis reading the sarcasm is 'throwing through windows at riots' and the 'bact to reality' ?
    I would try to answer your question, but honestly I couldn't suss out what you posted. Can anyone help me out here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I would try to answer your question, but honestly I couldn't suss out what you posted. Can anyone help me out here?
    I'm not sure if this was intended as more sarcasm, but if you were really asking...

He was saying that he thought the post you replied to was a joke because that poster said he was on his 15th Pre and all he "use it for is email,text, light web browsing, and for throwing through windows at riots..." then followed up with "[let's get] back to reality..."
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I'm not sure if this was intended as more sarcasm, but if you were really asking...

He was saying that he thought the post you replied to was a joke because that poster said he was on his 15th Pre and all he "use it for is email,text, light web browsing, and for throwing through windows at riots..." then followed up with "[let's get] back to reality..."
    Thanks, that cleared it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    It was sarcasm.
    I would buy a used Pre and wait for the next Palm device

My Themes:CLICK HERE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast