Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Let's Play, You Be The Verizon Rep.

Pretend that you are the best Verizon salesman ever: honest, hard-working, smart, and good-looking. You help customers meet their needs. So make up some typical customers that come in your store. Tell us what they want and how it goes. Be clear to state a feature as a benefit to them. Here are a few to get this started.

You: Hi, how can I help you?
    Customer: I need to upgrade my phone...
    You: What is important to you?

Customer 1: I want it to be cheap.
    You: {Get past the money to get to the need.} Over your 24 month contract, you are going to spend close to $2,000. The phone is the cheapest part, so get what your want. Do you need it to be your everyday iPod, camera, GPS, video chat?
    Customer: I do want it to replace my iPod too.
    You: Do you want to be able to get lyrics, album artwork, etc?
    Customer: Yes!
    You: Great! Let me show you some of the music players to pick from...

Customer 2: It needs to also be a good camera.
    You: So you want good resolution, zoom, and auto-focus?
    You: Do you want to be able to crop and do effects?
    You: Do you want a bigger screen to look at your photos?
    You: High Def, zoom and auto-focus make this your everyday camera!

Customer 3: I want a phone that I can also use as my car GPS.
    You: What features are you looking for then?
    Customer: It has to be big and bright.
    You: Do you want to be able to say something like "Navigate to 123 Main, Mytown, NY" and it will do it?
    You: Do you want a compass on the map like a real GPS?
    You: Let me show you some great phones that do all that...

Customer 4: I want a phone that can video chat with my friends/family.
    You: So you want a front camera and a bigger screen?
    You: Let me show you some great phones for video chatting...

Customer 5: I want a great phone for texting.
    You: Would you like to be able to say your text instead of typing it?
    You: Would you like the fastest texting keyboard ever?
    You: Let me show you Voice Actions and Swype. Swype Sets Guinness Records...

Customer 6: I want a phone that I can just talk to and it does it.
    You: Would you sooner type instead.
    Customer: Sometimes but I want to be able to say it in the car. Texting is illegal.
    You: Like a Voice dialer? Say "Call Joe" and it does it?
    You: Or say "Text Joe Be there by 6" and it does it?
    You: Voice Actions and Vlingo do this...

Customer 7: I want all the cool apps my friends have.
    You: Sure, like what?
    Customer: Like the thing that listens to a song and tells you what it is.
    You: Oh, like Shazam. It can then even download the song for you.
    -or- Customer: What's the one that you say it in English and it says it in Spanish?
    You: My favorite one is free: Talk to Me. Sure, let you show you...
    -or- Customer: What that one that can tune your guitar?
    You: My favorite one is gStrings. It's free. Let me show you...
    -or- Customer: What's the one that scans a barcode and tell you if it's cheaper online?
    You: Oh like Barcode Scanner. Let me show you...
    -or- Customer: Can it save buying a Nook or Kindle?
    You: Sure, let you show you...
    -or- Customer: Can it do {one of the other 100,000 things}?
    You: "There's an app for that!"

Customer 8: I want a great phone for the internet.
    You: Do you want a bigger screen then?
    You: Do you want it to cut off the screen where you have to go back and forth like this?

Cut Off Text. Note the Status and Notification bars.

You: Or do you want it to word-wrap like this?

Android "Re-flows" Text Correctly

Customer: I want it like that second one!
    You: Let me show you several great phones for surfing the web...

Customer 9: I want to be able to play our videos and movies on my TV.
    You: Let me show you the HD TV output...

Which phone would you recommend to these customers?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/05/2010 at 10:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post

welp, when u put it this way, the epic... but the pre2 does support flash... iphone does not.
    1: The Pre2 HAS Flash support, and so will the Pre and Pre Plus, soon. Furthermore: what kind of Verizon rep tries to sell an EVO, an Epic OR an iPhone 4?
    I would sell them a Centro or a Droid2. I would add the Pre2 when it ships.
    Great piece of selective lopsided propaganda, no mention of true multitasking, touchstone charging, synergy and some of the features considered a plus by some users , for example – I like a physical keyboard and I don’t need a giant display or 4 inch screen size. The smartphone market has room for several form factors and not all possible features make for a phone that is needed by every user.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I would try my best to convince the customer(s) to buy webos phones. I'm very convincing and I would definitely have them leaving the store with a webos phone. I wouldn't even mention the others at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    I would try my best to convince the customer(s) to buy webos phones. I'm very convincing and I would definitely have them leaving the store with a webos phone. I wouldn't even mention the others at all.
    You don't find that a little irresponsible?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You don't find that a little irresponsible?
    It's also quite ironic considering how Verizon salespeople handled the original Pre...
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    It's also quite ironic considering how Verizon salespeople handled the original Pre...
    But they were right.

Why would you want to sell a customer (who is relying on your expertise to help them make a decision) a phone with fewer features than its competitors and a niche operating system with the least developer support in its class?
    the phone with the least amount of returns
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    But they were right.

Why would you want to sell a customer (who is relying on your expertise to help them make a decision) a phone with fewer features than its competitors and a niche operating system with the least developer support in its class?
    There are tons of fantastic reasons... Give me a while to think of them first lol
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    Great piece of selective lopsided propaganda, no mention of true multitasking, touchstone charging, synergy and some of the features considered a plus by some users...
    I think that typical Verizon customers might come in asking about:
    • Internet
    • Texting
    • Music players
    • Camera
    • GPS
    • Video chat
    • Voice dialer
    • Voice commands
    You are thinking that customers instead come into Verizon stores asking to see phones that have Touchstones?

As to true autonomous multitasking...It requires a dedicated processor for each task with it's own memory, I/O, etc. That's a server farm. There is no phone that has true autonomous multitasking. All they do is time share. They save state so that you can go back where you left off.

But some soccer mom does not care. All she knows is that after she responded to a text that came in, Googled an address, checked the weather, she went back to Facebook to finish her post. Then back to where she left off in her Kindle book until an email came in. She replied then used Google Maps then back to finish the email and then back where she left off in her book. My Pre and my EVO can "multitask."

She does not care what you call it or how it works. It just needs automatically go back to wherever she left off with whatever she was doing. And email, text, Facebook, and Calendar thingies just need to pop up whenever they need to. Oh, and at some point she may get a call.

As to there being lots of different form factors, with keyboards and without, phones are like shoes. They come in every style and size. Pick whatever feels right for you.

43 New Androids Announced, Shipped, or Leaked So Far in October

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 10/31/2010 at 07:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    the phone with the least amount of returns
    the phone with the shortest battery life
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I think that typical Verizon customers might come in asking about:
    • Internet
    • Texting
    • Music players
    • Camera
    • GPS
    • Video chat
    • Voice dialer
    • Voice commands
    You are thinking that customers come into Verizon stores asking to see phones that have Touchstones? OK.

As to true autonomous multitasking...It requires a dedicated processor for each task with it's own memory, I/O, etc. That's a server farm. There is no phone that has true autonomous multitasking. All they do is time share. They save state so that you can go back where you left off.

But some soccer mom does not care. All she knows is that after she responded to a text that came in, Googled an address, checked the weather, she went back to Facebook to finish her post. Then back to where she left off in her Kindle book until an email came in. She replied then used Google Maps then back to finish the email and then back where she left off in her book. My Pre and my EVO can both do all of that flawlessly.

She does not care what you call it or how it works. It just needs automatically go back to wherever she left off with whatever she was doing. And email, text, Facebook, and Calendar thingies just need to pop up whenever they need to. Oh, and at some point she may get a call.

As to there being lots of different form factors, with keyboards and without, phones are like shoes. They come in every style and size. Pick whatever feels right for you.

43 New Androids Announced, Shipped, or Leaked So Far in October

- Craig
    *Internet
    *Texting
    *Music players
    *Camera
    *GPS

Those features the Pre does very well.

*Video chat
    *Voice dialer
    *Voice commands

Those features, obviously not.

I worked as a Verizon Sales rep for a several years. Most of my customers didn't care about half of those features. They really cared about texting, web, and email (you left out email). Some cared about camera and voice commands/dial. Some. Most could care less about MP3, GPS, video recording... I'm talking about customers from young to old. Video chat wasn't available. 8 out of 10 customers wanted a physical keyboard. That was my experience up to last year and I don't think that has changed much since (I still keep in touch with my former coworkers).

On a side note: The Pre hasn't sold because Verizon trained the crap out of everyone with the Droid. The Pre didn't get as much attention and never will. I remember in 2008 when Verizon made a lot of internal Brouhaha over their new corporate partner: Google.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    how bout...
    you want a free mobile hotspot (assuming it will again be offered on the pre 2)?

like playing games on your phone? Best gaming cellphone on vzw, as of now, is...

do you like the idea of pausing your game, or two, to send a text or your calender/todolist or purchase an app, or update your fb status, or download a song, etc etc, ALL AT THE SAME TIME...then return to your game right where you left off?

would you like to have a phone with the best facebook app available on vzw?

would you like to have a phone with...get this...good phone quality?

would you like a phone you can slip into your pocket, and not feel like you are putting a gps device on your ear?

would you like a phone with a superfast processor, and fast memory, with an operating system where you can just type whatever you want and in an instant update your fb/twitter status,send an email or text, or search google?

do you want a phone that won't interrupt what you are doing by notifying you of things in a minimally invasive way?

would you like a phone where you can customize it to your hearts desire with the support of precentral, webOSroundup, webOSinternals, and indirect support by hp and palm?

if not...then there is yet another droid over there, which will be replaced by another droid with better specs than yours, in 3 months. It may or may not get the newest version of the android OS.

well ok, these points may not sway most customers, but it will sway a few.
    and a few on vzw is a lot.

if vzw was smart, they would also give webOS users the same access to gps that they give to the other platforms.

and by the argument given above by the original poster...you are pretty much knocking off mid range android and blackberry devices as well.

so the only thing a vzw customer wants is a evo type device? Vzw might as well cancel all the other phones and only offer the droid 2 (how many versions of that phone are there going to be???), the fascinate, the incredible, and the X.

all other manufacturers....good riddance?
  16.    #16  
    MDsmartphone,

You make some really excellent points.

These are things that both my Pre and EVO do well except the notifications. The EVO does not take up any screen to show notifications but the Pre does.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    On a side note: The Pre hasn't sold because Verizon trained the crap out of everyone with the Droid. The Pre didn't get as much attention and never will. I remember in 2008 when Verizon made a lot of internal Brouhaha over their new corporate partner: Google.
    No issues here with most of your post except this last part. I still don't understand why people say the Pre didn't sell well because Verizon was all Android. If that is the case, why didn't the pre sell well on "any carrier"? Were they all pushing Android?
    (as a side...when playing with my wife's droid 2, how do you clear only certain notifications and not all?)
    A Verizon rep would recommend the phone that would net the greater commision.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    No issues here with most of your post except this last part. I still don't understand why people say the Pre didn't sell well because Verizon was all Android. If that is the case, why didn't the pre sell well on "any carrier"? Were they all pushing Android?
    Good point; I can't say much about why it didn't sell well at Sprint (if it didn't, but I do remember reading that it DID back in June of 09). I rarely, if ever, go into a Sprint store. As far as AT&T... well it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what smart-phone sells there.
    Last edited by RafRol; 10/31/2010 at 10:20 PM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast