Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Specs aren't all their cracked up to be if you are stuck with a poor OS - A VZ sales person should know all their phones and their strenths and weekneses then sell the phone that fits the customers needs.

http://forums.precentral.net/general...k-my-pixi.html
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You don't find that a little irresponsible?
    A little... But who says life is fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    Good point; I can't say much about why it didn't sell well at Sprint (if it didn't, but I do remember reading that it DID back in June of 09). I rarely, if ever, go into a Sprint store. As far as AT&T... well it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what smart-phone sells there.
    Don't forget about the rest of the world (the Pre wasn't released on just the top 3 US carriers).
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    A Verizon rep would recommend the phone that would net the greater commision.
    this is true, unless he recommends the sprint or at&t phones in the OP, which would earn no commission and probably get the rep fired...
    Nice post I was reading all the customers needs and I was thinking, the pre cant do that!

But why compare phones from other companies and not verizon phones? Epic and evo is not on verizon. What about blackberrys?
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbeiser View Post
    1: The Pre2 HAS Flash support, and so will the Pre and Pre Plus, soon. Furthermore: what kind of Verizon rep tries to sell an EVO, an Epic OR an iPhone 4?
    Thanks!

The opening post chart is corrected.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/01/2010 at 09:33 AM.
    As a salesman, I can tell you that moving product that brings the most commission is only half the story. The other half is the product least likely to become a charge-back.
    While I realize that folks want to defend their favorite OS, I think milominderbinder's (still love that name!) point is well taken. Many of the features that fans love about WebOS aren't major factors for most buyers. "True multi-tasking" is great, but Android's multi-tasking, in practice, gives you the same functionality. Even the iPhone 4 has a pretty slick way of balancing multiple programs.

To me, it seems that functionality is becoming harder and harder to distinguish between OS's. It's going to come down to specialized features: video chat, real vs virtual keyboard, personal form factor preferences, carrier choice.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Though commissions have a bearing, i do believe the reps want to be helpful. They're more likely to push what they own. Simple as that.

It's been mentioned over and over that Palm needs to make something that devs and carrier employees would actually want...that the tech blogs would go nuts over. It'll filter down to the masses.

Palm had all that going for them at the Sprint launch (and they'll never have that moment again..that iphone like hype). Tech blogs were blown away. Sprint employees had nothing else really to sale but the Pre. But Sprint employees weren't allowed to buy Pre's.

Palm & Sprint really screwed things up. Maybe the build issues could've been solved with a quick Pre Plus update around the holidays in 2009. A much longer US exclusive on Sprint, a slab, instead of the Pixi, and Palm might still be a company today instead of a unit.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    *Internet
    *Texting
    *Music players
    *Camera
    *GPS

Those features the Pre does very well...
    Let's take those one at a time.

*Internet
    Because we have Homebrew patches, we have many key features missing from webOS but the other 97% of webOS users don't have that luxury. But the worst problem is one that no simple patch is going to fix. webOS chops off text forcing you to pan left and right to read text. This is how I see the world from my flagship Palm phone:

Cut Off Text. Note the Status and Notification bars.

This is how the rest of the world sees it with word-wrap.

Android "Re-flows" Text Correctly

*Texting
    Again, Homebrew patches give us many of the key Texting features missing in webOS. Also, the Guinness Record for Texting speed has been broken three times this year by Swype. I am however way faster with the predictive text in Swiftkey. I am even faster if I am allowed to talk instead so I often press that microphone key. Check out how far Keyboards and speech recognition has come.

*Music players
    Again, we have Homebrew which lets us have Music Player (Remix). Remix is the best music player on any market today. Period. But the other 97% of webOS users have the Palm music player lack even basic features we had in our Treo 600's in 2003. The webOS music player is not doing very well.

*Camera
    Every other flagship smartphone released in the past year has had autofocus and digital zoom. The Palm camera lacks the features in a basic $39 WalMart cameras. Other flagship phones can also crop and have a list of effects.

*GPS
    The key thing about the other flagship phone's GPS is that you can say something like "Navigate to 123 Main Street, Mytown, NY" and it will take you there. Palm talks but won't listen. Plus, if a GPS can do nothing else, it should at least have a real compass.

Homebrew has helped us keep our sanity (or what's left of it). Try going just 24 hours with all of your Homebrew apps gone and all of your patches removed. You will never make it. Losing your basic features in your email, phone, calendar, browser, nessaging, and launcher is just too painful.

But that is what the other 97% of webOS users lives are like. Seriously. Try to make it for one day to see what they go through.

The sad part is that of the over 400 patches, Palm has only incorporated 6 as features. When asked about it at a developer conference, a Palm developer made it clear that it was not that they had listened to us. They just happened to be doing those features anyway.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/01/2010 at 07:28 PM.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Though commissions have a bearing, i do believe the reps want to be helpful. They're more likely to push what they own. Simple as that...
    Truer words were never spoken.

Sales people sell what they know.

The thing they know best is what they have.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Though commissions have a bearing, i do believe the reps want to be helpful. They're more likely to push what they own. Simple as that....
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Truer words were never spoken.

Sales people sell what they know.

The thing they know best is what they have.

- Craig
    I must agree 100%! This is why successfully marketing a device goes beyond things like slick ad campaigns. Educating the reps and getting them on board is paramount to a successful launch.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    While I realize that folks want to defend their favorite OS, I think milominderbinder's (still love that name!) point is well taken. Many of the features that fans love about WebOS aren't major factors for most buyers. "True multi-tasking" is great, but Android's multi-tasking, in practice, gives you the same functionality. Even the iPhone 4 has a pretty slick way of balancing multiple programs.

To me, it seems that functionality is becoming harder and harder to distinguish between OS's. It's going to come down to specialized features: video chat, real vs virtual keyboard, personal form factor preferences, carrier choice.
    Great post, Bujin.

Apple clearly has this figured out. Each year, with each new phone release, they focus on one or two things the new phone version does that's either unique to the phone, or incorporated in such a way that "even a cave man could do it." This distinguishes the iPhone from the rest of the pack and keeps the customers coming in for more.

Android's approach, in general, is a little less refined than Apple, but it's quite clear from an android commercial that Androids to a whole lot - probably as much as the average user would ever dream of - and they can do a whole lot more because of the 100K additional programs available for the Android. Plus they come in every shape, size, color, and configuration imaginable, so one of them ought to fit.

Palm has "true multi-tasking," which besides being an inappropriately assigned term, makes the average consumer say, "Huh? So what?" Otherwise Palm phones have touch screens and sliders and run some of the same programs the other phones run - in other words, same-o, same-o. And when you see a comparison table like Milo put together, the average consumer thinks, "Eww. Why would I want that over any of those other phones?"

Palm needs truly distinguishing features to stand out from the pack. webOS, by itself, is meaningless. It needs to do something unique that make regular folks want to choose a Palm phone over any other phone. Otherwise it will remain a niche phone to a small percentage of the market ... and HP won't waste it's money on something like that (*cough*VoodooPC*cough*).
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Let's take those one at a time.

*Internet
    Because we have Homebrew patches, we have many key features missing from webOS but the other 97% of webOS users don't have that luxury. But the worst problem is one that no simple patch is going to fix. webOS chops off text forcing you to pan left and right to read text. This is how I see the world from my flagship Palm phone:

[IMG]http://forum.androidcentral.com/attachments/general-help-how/3424d1285015000-palm-webos-homebrewers-guide-android-word-wrap-none-pre-2.jpg[/IMG]
    Cut Off Text. Note the Status and Notification bars.

This is how the rest of the world sees it with word-wrap.

[IMG]http://forum.androidcentral.com/attachments/general-help-how/3443d1285080415-palm-webos-homebrewers-guide-android-word-wrap-evo-2.jpg[/IMG]
    Android "Re-flows" Text Correctly
    Please stop linking images from AndroidCentral as Most users in this forum can not view them.

Even after creating an account.

either attach the images here or dont attach them at all..

sorry milo its just that its frustrating and you def know better
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If I was Verizon Sales rep, I would be pushing the new Verizon iPhone! Heh heh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post
    If I was Verizon Sales rep, I would be pushing the new Verizon iPhone! Heh heh...

why?
    Last edited by sketch42; 11/01/2010 at 04:14 PM.
    If I were a Verizon Sales Rep, I'd quit and go work for Sprint. Even with an employee discount at Verizon, it's probably still more than paying for service at Sprint without a discount.

I'm just not a fan of Verizon. I like Sprint, despite the enthusiasm that many Sprint reps have for the new 4g phones, I've always felt that they were more into answering my questions, rather than pushing some device down my throat. That's been the experience I've had with Sprint Reps anyway.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Please stop linking images from AndroidCentral as Most users in this forum can not view them.
    Sorry. Fixed. I forgot that both sites do that.

- Craig
  19.    #39  
    The chart in the opening post has been updated to show that the Droid 2 has been replaced by the Droid 2 Global. The Droid 2 was basically the same old original Droid but at 1 GHz instead of 500 Mhz with faster memory

The Droid 2 lasted 3 months before the replacement came out.

The chart will change again as the Droid Incredible HD and other phones hit this month.

I would always push the phones that give me the highest commission. Call me crazy, but I don't think Palm phones are at the top of that list...

My Themes:CLICK HERE
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast