Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by NScott View Post
    Seeing as the patenting of software is no different than the ownership of an equation, I have no sympathy for Palm or the law. Patent rights on software are completely absurd morally and pragmatically.
    Note that nowhere did I mention software patents. Patents are not relevant to this discussion, which is about copyright.

Software copyright is the basis of open source. Trademarks are also heavily used by open source organisations.

You can't be an open source advocate and trample over the right for closed source entities to use the same copyright and trademark laws as you do.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by NScott View Post
    IP is the ownership of an idea. It is neither rivalrous or reasonably excludable, thus to assume it is a type of property is absurd.
    The IP referred to in my post is the specific copyrighted assets of a company, expressed in a software form covered by copyright law.

Whether or not you can protect an idea is not relevant to this discussion. Distribution of specific expressions of an idea in software form covered by copyright law is the issue at hand.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    <staff edit>

Ah, now I see the basis on which your opinions are formed.

Good luck with your personal revolution.

-- Rod
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/22/2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: original post deleted
    So if you had an original idea that could only be protected under your jurisiction's copyright laws, you would be ok with someone else making money from your idea?
    Can I PM you my PO box so you can forward your paychecks while we're at it?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    So if you had an original idea that could only be protected under your jurisiction's copyright laws, you would be ok with someone else making money from your idea?
    Can I PM you my PO box so you can forward your paychecks while we're at it?
    Who is forcing you to divulge your idea? Who is insuring others don't copyright things you already have thought of? Why are you being forced to pay thousands of dollars just to recognize things that are already your property?

IP, Copyright, and any other form of idea ownership is no different than the ownership of someone else's mind. It is a form of slavery.

Please defend Amazon's one click buying as a legitimate property right. I would love to see your convoluted logic at work.
    Why oh why would anyone do this port Android to the Touchpad? What happen to the guys who wanted to port webOS to another phone? Now is the time to try that with version 3.0, since HP took out the gesture area, it should be much easier to port it to a phone with better specs, but on the same chipset. Also, since HP mentioned maybe rewriting webOS for other chipsets, that would allow more opportunities to port to other phones, maybe iPhone? How about it webOS internals? Think it's possible?

And now that webOS tablets have finally made it to the masses, many who have no clue what webOS is, this is when the Homebrew community can really shine. I think we need to have a telethon to support our guys!!!
    We found out in the end that the guy claiming to be doing this was a fraud. webOS is closed source and can't be copied to another platform without permission.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345