Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by knightflores View Post
    umm i dont think it is.... the reason i say this is that the guys from xda got the source code for the port from palm's own website... my question is this... why would palm put up its code if it were illegal??
    The code on opensource.palm.com is not webOS. It is the Linux userspace upon which webOS runs.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    So no-one has considered the fact that such a port would be an illegal use of Palm's proprietary OS assets?

-- Rod
    Rod,
    In the technical legal sense yeah maybe its illegal; but all I see it as is just geeks(meant in the highest regard) being geeks. Not accepting things for the way they are and trying to enhance and tinker and hack their electronics. Its that same desire that makes us love our homebrew and patches at webos.

But I do see your position, since Palm has a very close relationship with developers such as your self. You can't do anything that would anger them. whereas there is no relationship with competing OS's
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    Rod,
    In the technical legal sense yeah maybe its illegal; but all I see it as is just geeks(meant in the highest regard) being geeks. Not accepting things for the way they are and trying to enhance and tinker and hack their electronics. Its that same desire that makes us love our homebrew and patches at webos.

But I do see your position, since Palm has a very close relationship with developers such as your self. You can't do anything that would anger them.
    Geeks doing things for their own use is fine. I doubt that anyone has a problem with that.

It's when they start distributing the results of that as "custom ROMz" that the hardware or OS vendor is then forced to act to protect their trademark or copyright status. The law requires them to vigorously defend their property, or else their legal status is effectively reduced in future cases. And then the folks that are doing things legally get caught in the cross-fire, and everyone loses.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Geeks doing things for their own use is fine. I doubt that anyone has a problem with that.

It's when they start distributing the results of that as "custom ROMz" that the hardware or OS vendor is then forced to act to protect their trademark or copyright status. The law requires them to vigorously defend their property, or else their legal status is effectively reduced in future cases. And then the folks that are doing things legally get caught in the cross-fire, and everyone loses.

-- Rod
    I see what you mean. Basically company has to protect from the "geeks" and those who just like to do such things for fun; because it helps legal standing in cases against say some off brand phone company in let say china, that uses the proprietary code for their own products.
    I see what you mean. Basically company has to protect from the "geeks" and those who just like to do such things for fun; because it helps legal standing in cases against say some off brand phone company in let say china, that uses the proprietary code for their own products.
    What people do in the privacy of their own home should be of no concern to anyone.

But when they publish those things on the internet, and those things contain the property of someone else, then bad things can happen.

-- Rod
    Guys your missing the point, It doesnt matter which Android phone they do it with, the point is if they do it then it is possible and can later do it with other phones
    I think the best thing Palm can do to protect the property is to produce things that people want to buy .

Here's hoping for my superphone!
    Right now I don't think Palm or HP would want to stop development of this project, since they currently NEED more devices and users of WebOS. Of course, when the porting is finished, I could simply offer instructions on how to compile and install your own port... that would be legal since I'm not distributing anything but instructions.
    I doubt that ports to devices from other manufacturers factors into HP's marketing strategy for webOS.

Let me know once you've built the kernel and ported the device drivers and then we can see what the next step is ...

-- Rod
    the xda devs work miracles, i owned a hero and i know. i bet they even get gingerbread on that phone. if i could get webos 2.0 on an epic or evo id buy one in a heartbeat.

i just hope we do not give up on this as many have in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinehart93 View Post
    Right now I don't think Palm or HP would want to stop development of this project, since they currently NEED more devices and users of WebOS. Of course, when the porting is finished, I could simply offer instructions on how to compile and install your own port... that would be legal since I'm not distributing anything but instructions.
    if hp/palm tell you to stop im done with webos. i remember them doing this a year ago with that webos theme for android. bottom line is they need more webos users, this is the only way. i sure don't see them offering any high end phone atm.
    And I highly doubt the hero is anything close to a superphone; Actually they pre has better specs.
    very true as the most the hero can be overclocked to stable is 720mhz.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    if hp/palm tell you to stop im done with webos. i remember them doing this a year ago with that webos theme for android. bottom line is they need more webos users, this is the only way. i sure don't see them offering any high end phone atm.
    Oh.. So a company has no right to protect it's IP according to you ... I doubt that palm had this in mind when supporting homebrew.

Palm has made it clear that it is illegal to post any vers of their IP online, and that it has been that way since the beginning.. Check out the meta doctor thread.

these threads shouldn't be allowed on PC... If some PC Members want to go to xda to help, than fine. But don't bring that garbage here.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Oh.. So a company has no right to protect it's IP according to you ... I doubt that palm had this in mind when supporting homebrew.

Palm has made it clear that it is illegal to post any vers of their IP online, and that it has been that way since the beginning.. Check out the meta doctor thread.

these threads shouldn't be allowed on PC... If some PC Members want to go to xda to help, than fine. But don't bring that garbage here.

i disagree... this is why android is such a phenomenal success. palm needs to go pure open source on this. webos is dead in the general public's eyes. if we could get it to run on most of the "current" hardware that is out there, they might have a fighting chance. im sick of the closed source apple mentality. microsoft did this too with wp7 and i think that os will FAIL as well.

if it weren't for the devs on xda and here most of the phones including the pre would of been dead long ago!
    i disagree... this is why android is such a phenomenal success. palm needs to go pure open source on this. webos is dead in the general public's eyes. if we could get it to run on most of the "current" hardware that is out there, they might have a fighting chance. im sick of the closed source apple mentality. microsoft did this too with wp7 and i think that os will FAIL as well.

if it weren't for the devs on xda and here most of the phones including the pre would of been dead long ago!
    I appreciate your response but you are wrong on a couple of points.

1. Android is successful for a numver of reasons. And hackers custom roms is NOT One of them.
    Many enthuisiast think that they are the majority view. When in reality they are the minority. 90% of all android owners will not only never Root their device, don't even know what rooting is.

2. The biggest problem android faces .. Is fragmentation, and only getting worse.

3. Palm has found a great happy medium.. Where they support the homebrew community and allow modificatioms, to a degree, while protectin their IP.

This is NOT the model of Apple nor MS.

4. While palm may seem dead in the water to you . You seem to miss the fact that for almost 2 years they still stand amongst the plethora of androids, iphones an now win 7. Hp won't let palm or webos die as they have invested a good chunk of change, not in the "hopes" of reviving palm. But in the reality of stuffing webos in everyones face to create a powerful ecosystem.

WebOS is here to stay, and more devices Are coming , without illegal porting that can damage dev relations.

1. Android is successful for a numver of reasons. And hackers custom roms is NOT One of them.
    Many enthuisiast think that they are the majority view. When in reality they are the minority. 90% of all android owners will not only never Root their device, don't even know what rooting is.

2. The biggest problem android faces .. Is fragmentation, and only getting worse.

3. Palm has found a great happy medium.. Where they support the homebrew community and allow modificatioms, to a degree, while protectin their IP.

4. While palm may seem dead in the water to you . You seem to miss the fact that for almost 2 years they still stand amongst the plethora of androids, iphones an now win 7. Hp won't let palm or webos die as they have invested a good chunk of change, not in the "hopes" of reviving palm. But in the reality of stuffing webos in everyones face to create a powerful ecosystem.

WebOS is here to stay, and more devices Are coming , without illegal porting that can damage dev relations.

i know about the memory leaks and fragmentation that android has, that's why i came back to the pre. i meant as of right now webos is dead to most. im still all for the porting of this. im sure they will get a cease and desist from palm soon. i only hope maybe then they will buy a real webos device and help with development over here.

and i disagree about the custom roms not playing a part in androids huge success. custom roms are no different than what rod & company are doing by creating custom overclocked kernels that can and will void people warranties with palm.
    what did the XDA devs to for the @Pre ??
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    what did the XDA devs to for the @Pre ??
    re-read my statement.

pre-central------pre & pixi

xda--- all other outdated phones!

Symbian: A Lesson on the Wrong Way to Use Open Source: Tech News

interesting read
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

1. There is no need for hackers when you have an OS that is complete out-the-box.

2. If having multiple form factors on multiple carries is what you call fragmentation, I'll gladly take that over the uninspired closed platform/ form factors Palm has provided us. That only works for Apple and Palm isn't in the same league as Apple.

3. Palm "supports" (and I use support loosely) the homebrew community because they have an OS is that was incomplete in terms of providing basic functionality most smartphones provide by default. you know things like timestamping messages?
    The fact there is even such a strong homebrew community is a testament to the weakness of the out-of-the-box webOS. I've even read people saying they can't wait to patch webOS2.0.

4. I wouldn't call 0% mindshare standing strong. As far as HP not letting webOS die, I guess we'll have to see. The Pre2 isn't a good start.

"without illegal porting that can damage dev relations"......what dev relations? Lol
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast