Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44
  1. #21  
    The Android platform is way too ubiquitous for me. It does not feel unique in the slightest now. It's like the Walmart of OS'es.

    /end rant.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    The Android platform is way too ubiquitous for me. It does not feel unique in the slightest now. It's like the Walmart of OS'es.

    /end rant.
    I'm with you man. I liked that band way before they got popular.
  3. #23  
    I agree there are a lot. The flipside is because it's on many phones, there will be continued developer support. Another good thing, like another poster said, you have something for all budgets and needs. So no one will get left out. I personally am not into the "exclusive" thing when it comes to phones. I need functionality more. Does it work and is it good quality, is all I need to know.


    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    The Android platform is way too ubiquitous for me. It does not feel unique in the slightest now. It's like the Walmart of OS'es.

    /end rant.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I agree there are a lot. The flipside is because it's on many phones, there will be continued developer support. Another good thing, like another poster said, you have something for all budgets and needs. So no one will get left out. I personally am not into the "exclusive" thing when it comes to phones. I need functionality more. Does it work and is it good quality, is all I need to know.
    Owning something simply because it's "unique" is silly.
  5. #25  
    Well I have fallen into that trap when it comes to fashion sometimes.

    It's just that with phones, it's all about features and functionality over how many people own what.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Well I have fallen into that trap when it comes to fashion sometimes.

    It's just that with phones, it's all about features and functionality over how many people own what.
    As you have probably deduced, sometimes phones become fashion to some folks, Diva.
  7. #27  
    Well I always have to have a case and cool wallpaper. Sometimes themes. Do those count as fashion?

    I would say the case and sometimes the chosen headphones(not always), yes. But that's where it ends.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8. #28  
    Yea, I'm not trying to say it's "not cool enough" or whatever, and you're right about functionality superceding all else, but it's just getting really, really overly annoyingly popular. It is EVERYWHERE, from the crappiest $129 Taiwanese tablet PC to about 75% of smartphones to TV sets to.. probably my next electric toothbrush. It's just taking over. I'm sick of looking at it/hearing about it/reading about it. I'm sticking with webOS as long as I possibly can. SO SICK OF ANDROID!
  9. #29  
    iPhones are still everywhere in my neck of the woods. That's not any better news for webOS fans, at least not around here. There's both Sprint and AT&T corporate stores right down the street. And barely any Pres are seen. I've seen some, but nowhere near the number of iPhones. Although that's not good for Android fans either, lol. Though I have seen some Evos and Droids.

    Google is trying to take over, that's too obvious IMO. They're succeeding in several areas. But as with most companies that start to get pretty large, they'll be next on the "bumps in the road and growing pains" list. Apple is going through some of that this year. So is Google somewhat, with all the lawsuits over Android.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

    Google is trying to take over, that's too obvious IMO. They're succeeding in several areas.
    I think Google is in some way doing what i think Palm should have done in licensing their O.S. I know some don't like the idea but from my perspective Google is doing a smart thing.

    Microsoft took over the computer OS not by making hardware but just the software and licensing it to any hardware maker they wanted. Apple tried to control hardware and software and eventually lost the marketshare war.

    Google's doing a similar thing. Though IPhone is the dominant smartphone Apple must deal with making the hardware and the software. And as we've seen with the antenna and the white iphone issue there are issues when you have to make your own hardware. But google is going the Microsoft route, licensing the O.S. And letting others make the hardware. And just like Windows, gaining market share. And they aren't even trying to make money off of it. Which may be an issue somewhere down the line. But not while they make money hand over fist off of advertising. Regardless, just my opinion, Palm should have gotten their OS on as many phones as possible through licensing (though not free like android), taken market share, and let others deal with cracked screens, oreo, broken usb doors, dead power buttons, etc. Plus i think being on all the platforms would have meant they got the sort of major app support Android is getting now. Plus they wouldn't have been funding hardware development and could have focused on software which probably would have been cheaper. Anyways my two cents.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 11/02/2010 at 12:54 PM.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    As you have probably deduced, sometimes phones become fashion to some folks, Diva.
    Sometimes? That defines apple products at least in my area (NYC).


    An iPhone becomes a status symbol. Why else are there 35 year old mothers lining up to buy an iPhone on launch day? No other comapny can cause casual consumers to line up to buy an electronic device.

    (not knocking the iPhone but that along with other apple products all come off like status symbols in nyc.)
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    I think Google is in some way doing what i think Palm should have done in licensing their O.S. I know some don't like the idea but from my perspective Google is doing a smart thing...
    That is spot on.

    Windows has never been the best at anything. But any maker could jump in fairly easily and there would be an instant market of software titles. So for $399 you can get an unbelievable laptop at WalMart or for $1100 you can get the Apple. The Apple Air is better but in the end it is just a laptop. The parents buying their kid a laptop for Christmas are going to buy the $399 model.

    Android is copying a proven marketing strategy not just from Microsoft but from Palm...

    Back in the day, PalmOS was used by a variety of manufacturers and it dominated. PalmOS phones came in every size and style.

    Then after 20 reorganizations, Palm forgot what worked and BlackBerry swooped in. Then BlackBerry got fat and lazy and Apple swooped in.

    And now the iPhone's greatest weakness is the strength that got it this far: Steve Jobs giant ego. He honestly believes that there is exactly one size phone that everyone must buy. It is not up to you whether you need a physical keyboard. He will tell you what you want.

    In cars, want to know what they call that? A Mini, a Cooper Mini, dominating it's 3% market niche.

    In that old paradigm, there is always the "one" product that is on top. The biggest shark was always watching for a bigger shark.

    Apple still does it that way. Last year's high-end (3GS) in now this years mid-market product.

    Android instead has new phones aimed at every possible market, size, and shape. If you want a "free" phone, you don't get the one from two years ago. You get a brand new one designed for your needs.

    Android is a pack of 100 piranhas relentlessly nipping away. Every nine months stronger and faster young piranhas come and devour the old piranhas.

    Apple and RIM were having a knife fight and Android showed up with an AK-47...and a hundred clips.

    Similarly, HP wins the printer wars by flooding the market with dozens of different models for every need. They did the same thing in calculators, computers, laptops, and every other market they are in.

    HP has the size to offer high, mid, and low end phones as well as tablets. More importantly they know how to do this kind of marketing.

    At CES, HP is not going to announce a phone but instead a range of mobile product families.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/02/2010 at 10:08 AM.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Sometimes? That defines apple products at least in my area (NYC).


    An iPhone becomes a status symbol. Why else are there 35 year old mothers lining up to buy an iPhone on launch day? No other comapny can cause casual consumers to line up to buy an electronic device.

    (not knocking the iPhone but that along with other apple products all come off like status symbols in nyc.)
    Hyperbole much? So according to your post:

    1. All purchasers of Apple iPhones in NYC only do it for the fashion benefits. (Google Search: Reasons to own an iPhone - reasons for and against an iPhone purchase. Not much talk about status symbol.)
    2. No other device can cause casual consumers to line up... (Palm Pre Fans Line up in the Early Hours, among other devices, like the Droid X, Droid, Wii, PS3, ad nauseum.)

    So, how do you really feel about Apple, Brain?
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Hyperbole much? So according to your post:

    1. All purchasers of Apple iPhones in NYC only do it for the fashion benefits. (Google Search: Reasons to own an iPhone - reasons for and against an iPhone purchase. Not much talk about status symbol.)
    2. No other device can cause casual consumers to line up... (Palm Pre Fans Line up in the Early Hours, among other devices, like the Droid X, Droid, Wii, PS3, ad nauseum.)

    So, how do you really feel about Apple, Brain?
    haha well if you take my saying like that ure. I didn't mean to apply it to everyone. Just through my anecdotal experience....there seems to be a larger sense of status symbolism through products in NYC than i experience else where in my life thus far (which is many places to be honest). With that, i have found, those who are not really tech savy per say are often using iPhones.

    The thing is, i'd cut them a break if they were using it for at least bottom end features....but i have a friend who doesn't even have an email account tied to her phone.

    Why does she have a smartphone? Not only that, why does she have one of the most expensive smartphones to own?


    And while i'm not the biggest apple fan, their products are really excellent....but my quip is more about the way people in NYC are all about status symbols. What makes me look like i have money. etc. etc.


    I'm not immune to this either. But just something i've noticed. Line up for products you want because you've been researching it and want to use all its new features. Not just because you want to be the first to rock it and brag about it.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Line up for products you want because you've been researching it and want to use all its new features. Not just because you want to be the first to rock it and brag about it.
    The issue I see with that logic is that if you don't want to be the "first to rock it", you'd likely not "line up" for it in the first place. It's not like these are limited editions or something. Sure, the stock may dry up on launch day, but it will be replenished. So other than to be the first, why else line up? Researching a product and wanting to use all of its new features doesn't usually cause massive lines. At least I don't think it does.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Palm should have gotten their OS on as many phones as possible through licensing, taken market share, and let others deal with cracked screens, oreo, broken usb doors, dead power buttons, etc..
    On the one hand, I want to ask"didn't they try that before with the whole hardware vs software split back in the day?"

    On the other hand, imagine if only webOS was associated with Palm and not the Pre. Some company would have gotten a very bad rep for producing the defect-filled device called the "[insert company name] Pre" while Palm may have gotten some good reviews on webOS (assuming they brought it up to speed quickly). Unfortunately for them, the Pre has all but killed off much of the "potential" of webOS. It's also unfortunate, IHMO, that HP hasn't decided to burn the name "Pre" so as not to invoke those bad memories.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    On the one hand, I want to ask"didn't they try that before with the whole hardware vs software split back in the day?"

    On the other hand, imagine if only webOS was associated with Palm and not the Pre. Some company would have gotten a very bad rep for producing the defect-filled device called the "[insert company name] Pre" while Palm may have gotten some good reviews on webOS (assuming they brought it up to speed quickly). Unfortunately for them, the Pre has all but killed off much of the "potential" of webOS. It's also unfortunate, IHMO, that HP hasn't decided to burn the name "Pre" so as not to invoke those bad memories.
    This is very much what happened with Palm and:

    1. Sony's Clie series.
    2. Handspring in general (before they eventually merged back with Palm).
    3. Kyocera with their 6035 and 7135 Palm OS phones.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    On the one hand, I want to ask"didn't they try that before with the whole hardware vs software split back in the day?"
    i'm not a palm expert or aficionado and so i don't know for sure. And i honestly don't know what you mean by "hardware vs software split." but i think that is a probably a product of not really following palm. But i sort of recall them licensing like the palm pilot OS or something. If that's what you mean i'd argue, first it was a different era back then. Smartphones were not prevalent and the operating system on the device didn't matter because for phones all the phones where mostly dumb phones, and two the palm pilots where just electronic dayplanners which were gonna die out anyways as they merged into phones.

    Since i don't know the details of Palms my other comment would be, that just cause it was attempted doesn't guarantee it was attempted well. I think Apple licensed other companies to make computers for a while and ended up stopping it and suing them. Not sure it would have mattered anyways since by that time as Windows was pretty entrenched but it didn't work.


    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    On the other hand, imagine if only webOS was associated with Palm and not the Pre. Some company would have gotten a very bad rep for producing the defect-filled device called the "[insert company name] Pre" while Palm may have gotten some good reviews on webOS (assuming they brought it up to speed quickly).
    In some way that's what happened with the G1. Funny looking, not the best hardware, funky hinge. Android didn't take the hit though cause they already had 5 or 6 more handsets on the way the next year and Motorola hanging it's future on Andorid devices.

    But had HTC made the Pre, people would be mad at HTC and HTC probably would have another phone out already. Not only that, by now there probably would have been at least 6 or 7 phones with webos out by other phone makers.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    The issue I see with that logic is that if you don't want to be the "first to rock it", you'd likely not "line up" for it in the first place. It's not like these are limited editions or something. Sure, the stock may dry up on launch day, but it will be replenished. So other than to be the first, why else line up? Researching a product and wanting to use all of its new features doesn't usually cause massive lines. At least I don't think it does.
    That is true.

    The last thing i got on launch day (not counting a video game and thats just because i want to play it as soon as possible) was my xbox360. (and only because i bought one online and had it pre-ordered, but wanted to buy another one to sell). But i also love video games so i enjoy having it early if i have the means.

    If you enjoy technology by all means, get it early...but again, walking by the apple store on launch day the line in front was SIGNIFICANTLY different than a line you'd see for a game console.

    Again, it just seems its the apple effect that convinces people they need to buy it the day it comes out or they will never own it haha.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    That is spot on.
    Back in the day, PalmOS was used by a variety of manufacturers and it dominated. PalmOS phones came in every size and style.

    Then after 20 reorganizations, Palm forgot what worked and BlackBerry swooped in. Then BlackBerry got fat and lazy and Apple swooped in.
    I think that is one reason microsoft has been so dominant in PCs. From OS version to OS they've managed to bridge the gap and success fully get people to move from one to another. Plus, and a big plus is the nature of business. Big OS customers can't be early adopters so as long as Microsoft can support NT they could get people to windows 2000 and then to xp and so on all by providing some level of legacy support. And if you are a global business you can't just switch os at a cost of a couple hundred million dollars plus the problem of stuff not working. MY old company built it's own proprietary software to run in windows. we couldn't switch to macs if we wanted to. But one individual can switch out of Palm OS anytime it wants to. And Blackberry offered more of what business consumers wanted.

    I think now though Apple has a lot of people tied to the ecosystem the same way businesses are tied to windows. Not as drastic but they like itunes, they like their apps so any alternative has to provide comparable services.

    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    And now the iPhone's greatest weakness is the strength that got it this far: Steve Jobs giant ego. He honestly believes that there is exactly one size phone that everyone must buy. It is not up to you whether you need a physical keyboard. He will tell you what you want.

    In cars, want to know what they call that? A Mini, a Cooper Mini, dominating it's 3% market niche.
    I'm gonna approach this comment a different way. I think right now Apple is not a computer or a phone company. It's a high end niche consumer electronics company. And part of what they offer is not variety it's. They sell a certain singular style of product that permeates all their software and hardware, Clean, sleek, minimalist. The products have few seams and few buttons. The O.S. tends to reduce clutter and menus. Their commercials lack clutter, often just a white background. Minimilist. A lot of people buy the apple products cause of the aesthetic design of their products. Apple sells one phone cause part of keeping Apple Apple is making the Hardware look a certain way. It's not about the O.S. it's about the Apple package of products.

    point is i don't think they are selling Mini Coopers. I think they made a Mercedes. it doesn't dominate the car market but it does well in the luxury car market. They aren't just selling car utility they sell a style, a level of quality, of status, etc. Smartphones are at this point a high end of the phone market. And i think just like mercedes they don't have to dominate all the products to be successful they just have to dominate the high end. Now can they do it forever, i don't know. But what sells iphones is more then just the phone, it's the ease of use, it's the minimalist design, it's media ecosystems (music, video, podcast downloads), its easy sync, it's got a cohesive look to even the Mac desktop OS. Like it's all grey and the icons even have a similar look. Point is i don't think Apple has to has to dominate marketshare to be very successful. I think they just have to satisfy those people they got that are part of that Apple system and way of doing things. Personally i think cause it's about more then phones their challenge is different then, like a Motorola, They have to be loyal to their apple style cause that's a large part of what keeps them afloat. Like they make Hyundais with all the features a similarly equipped Mercedes has but that Hyundai doesn't have the design and style and all that stuff that comes with buying a Mercedes.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 11/02/2010 at 09:43 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions