Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My friend's wife works for company as a speech therapist. They are getting rid of their palmOS hardware/software that they use and switching to the iphone. At the end of the day "card view" and "true multitasking" is not enough to succeed. I'm thinking that even if HP knocks it out of the park with sweet new hardware, and continues to improve webos and pay developers directly to create software, it is going to be a few YEARS before webos gains any traction in the marketplace. The only corporation I have ever heard about adopting webos devices in any capacity is HP. From a personal perspective, this means that the "wait for XXX and then palm will have everything you need" is still years off. CES is not going to completely change the landscape overnight. Who thought it would take 2 CESs just to get doc editing. Palm is the company of the prepetual wait.
    Wait, were they using palmOS or webOS? BIG difference if so.
    They probably looked at upgrading to webOS vs iOS and decided to go with the latter
  4.    #4  
    They were using PalmOS.
    Companies are probably going to be HP's target audience with webOS 2.0. When they get webOS 2.0 into phones, printers, tablets, and everything else needed to integrate a business's communications, the situation will change.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    +1

But it doesn't appear that HP is any kind of a hurry to announce something to help stem the flood.

I don't think they realize the "opportunity lost" concept when companies migrate to iOS or BB.

Even with WebOS 2.0 and decent hardware "coming" there are no business applications and minimal developer support. Gonna be a tough sell.
    Dan
    look at it this way Palm made it real easy to be able to port stuff over to webOS.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    One wonders how this situation would have turned out if Palm had put more effort into supporting the Classic PalmOS emulator and targeting the most important PalmOS apps to get them ported to webOS more quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    One wonders how this situation would have turned out if Palm had put more effort into supporting the Classic PalmOS emulator and targeting the most important PalmOS apps to get them ported to webOS more quickly.
    Worse, I would think. They needed the clean break and to make sure WebOS wasn't burdened by legacy code. I mean, it's slow and unoptimized enough as is, and we don't know how much of that 2.0 solves. Imagine if they had to account for native PalmOS emulation in each release too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    look at it this way Palm made it real easy to be able to port stuff over to webOS.
    They made it real easy to port "games" over. Not much else is "easily" ported. There are also those apps that webOS simply cannot support at this stage.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    +1

But it doesn't appear that HP is any kind of a hurry to announce something to help stem the flood.

I don't think they realize the "opportunity lost" concept when companies migrate to iOS or BB.

Even with WebOS 2.0 and decent hardware "coming" there are no business applications and minimal developer support. Gonna be a tough sell.
    I agree 100%. The best example is the PC/Mac dichotomy. Once a platform is ubiquitiously adopted by business, it is a long hard road to change. Even the biggest blockbusters like the iphone take a long time to move the industry. The iphone turned the smartphone industry upside down and nly now, nearly 4 years later has the iphone surpassed BB in terms of sales. HP is missing out on the ground floor.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    They made it real easy to port "games" over. Not much else is "easily" ported. There are also those apps that webOS simply cannot support at this stage.
    This is really the sad part. We at PreCentral have been able to test amazing apps like Music Player (Remix) and NanPlayer.

Since January of 2009, Palm has locked developers out from developing anything:
    That can play Music
    Needing the microphone like Talk to Me voice translations.
    Needing the camera like Layar or Barcode Scanner or Vignette
    That would integrate into or replace the calendar app like K-9.
    That would integrate into or replace the massaging app like Chomp.

and so on...

So what can developers do? Well, play games mostly.

So instead of the amazing NanPlayer or Music Player (Remix), users get a music player missing the basic features the Treo 600 had in 2003.

We have thread after thread begging for Shazam but the locked out Mic API kills that.

Android Voice Actions let's you say things like "send text to Jeff Miller See you at 10" And it does it.

Instead of Voice Actions, webOS 2.0 is going back to 2008 to Just Type.

I love my Pre but hate how Palm works so hard to drive developers away.

How do you attract developers if you won't let them in?

If you had a choice between webOS 2.0 giving you Just Type or instead opening up the API's to real apps, which would you pick?
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Is there any clear explanation of *why* this stuff is still locked down?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Is there any clear explanation of *why* this stuff is still locked down?
    Because the screwdriver they were going to use to pick the lock has been sequestered by Mr. Sood so that he can pry open the window of opportunity at a later date.

Seriously though, I thought I heard Derek on last week's palm cast mention that those APIs may very well be available in 2.0. So maybe there's hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Seriously though, I thought I heard Derek on last week's palm cast mention that those APIs may very well be available in 2.0. So maybe there's hope.
    I sure hope you are right.

We have seen countless threads from developers who were told to not hook into the locked API's.

Maybe they could find the list of everyone who got cease and desist emails and invite them over for pizza at CES?

And I am serious in asking this question and I will even expand it a bit.

Which would you sooner have in webOS 2.0?
    1. More ways to stack cards and Just Type circa 2008.
    2. Unlock the API's that Remix and the other 100,000 apps need.
    3. Incorporate 100 of our favorite patches into webOS 2.0 like Android already did.

Pick only one.
    For Palm's sake, I hope Derek is right. It was unfortunate that Palm chose to focus on games. I know games sell extremely well on iOS, but I wonder how many people purchased a webOS device "because" it could play games.

I see Angry Birds plastered on Palm's (HP's) blog as an advertising point. Does anyone know if Angry Birds and other games had any meaningful effect on webOS in terms of sales? I know people who owned the devices would get the games, but I'm wondering if this brought "new customers" to the webOS fold.
    Considering Palm fans are/were business users, focused on productivity, I've always thought that a huge mistake.
    yea the mic API's are Def coming out... AND the media database API's that NaNPlayer needs are going to be released with 2.0 Even Palm has said that... should be November or December release for sure! I would love to write an inventory app that reads barcodes... but our phones don't have autofocus so can't do that yet.. but will soon
    There are legitimate reasons why certain APIs have been kept private. I can't talk about this in detail since I'm under an NDA. I'll talk about it in more detail once the NDA is lifted. But until then, just know that releasing certain APIs prematurely would have been a mistake. And this is coming from a developer who needed certain APIs to release his app!

And even though we haven't had access to certain APIs, webOS users do have other huge advantages over the other mobile platforms (cards/multitasking, notifications, etc.). So while Android may have voice search, they also have to deal with a clunky interface. There is no one perfect mobile OS, but in my eyes, webOS is the one with the best chance to approach perfection.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    webOS is the one with the best chance to approach perfection.
    lol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast