Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It seems funny how everyone that hasnt owned a pre or iphone is making fun of palm for releasing a 3rd gen? pre and yet they would talk about how great the iphone is even though the hardware has hardly changed since 2g. Yes they added a front camera and a bit faster but thats what we've done (minus the camera) It just seems kind of uninformed for people to mock palm about remaking a phone twice now when apple has done it 3 times. I guess its because its apple that its alright to do so.

Edit: the original Pre was definitely not great hardware, it was 1st gen though you cant really blame palm. Yeah I get it, Apple has made more solid hardware. Saying its better is a point of view because I prefer a real keyboard

As Giograph I think it was pointed out, Blackberry also does the samething. you can call them different names but the Bold and Tour are the samething plus/minus the trackball/pad. and the Curve, well I used to have an 8330 and now I have a pre and pixi end of story.
    Last edited by manordwall; 10/29/2010 at 09:40 PM.
  2.    #2  
    This is the right forum right?
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    sorry, but the pre isn't in the same league as the iphone.

The iphone was an absolute game changer and unlike palm, they got it right the first time. Palm's third generation phone is basically the same as the first generation pre, which from a hardwarde standpoint, was a fail.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by susanoo26 View Post
    sorry, but the pre isn't in the same league as the iphone.

The iphone was an absolute game changer and unlike palm, they got it right the first time. Palm's third generation phone is basically the same as the first generation pre, which from a hardwarde standpoint, was a fail.
    I wouldnt call the pre out of the game, WebOS is definitely in the same league as ios. One site, not sure which one, made a top ten list and rated the pre 2 number 8 even though its not even out and said it was because of webos that it was so great. If the original pre had been advertised better than with a creepy pale girl then palm may have never been bought by hp because the pre would have likely done so much better
    You get the difference between refreshing a successful model, and refreshing a failed model, right?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandufour View Post
    WebOS is definitely not in the same league as iOS.
    Webos is way ahead of ios. Yeah I get it, the hardware quality is behind
    Last edited by manordwall; 10/28/2010 at 10:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    Webos is way ahead of ios.
    In what way? It's not ahead in terms of featureset. It's generations behind in terms of developer support. The only way I see webOS being ahead of iOS is on the manordwall's Favorite Mobile Operating System list.
    I wouldnt call the pre out of the game, WebOS is definitely in the same league as ios. One site, not sure which one, made a top ten list and rated the pre 2 number 8 even though its not even out and said it was because of webos that it was so great. If the original pre had been advertised better than with a creepy pale girl then palm may have never been bought by hp because the pre would have likely done so much better
    No one said that they were out of the game, they said the Pre was a failed device and that it doesn't compared to the Iphones success.

That site was Znet and yes they only credited Webos not the Pre 2.

The creepy girl was only part of the problem...lots of quality issues, slow laggy, underpowered, tmc errors, lots of exchanges/returns gave it a bad rep which started a snowball effect (word of mouth)and the rest was history.
    hardware is behind on the pre, no doubt, but the form factor is still more intriguing than a black slab.

webOS is much much better than ios, if you are looking at each as an OS only. However, the iphone's app catalog is what makes it stand out and makes webOS fall behind. If iOS had the same number of apps as webOS, webOS would be a better OS.

but honestly, there's no reason to compare the two. Even big time palm fans like myself realize apple is waaaay ahead of the curve. It's better hp and palm re-enter the market and make significant progress. Android did it, win7 will likely be able to do, and so can webOS.
    Webos is way ahead of ios. Yeah I get it, the hardware is behind.
    If you get it, then why did you start this thread? If you just now got it, maybe a nice mod will come along and close it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    If you get it, then why did you start this thread? If you just now got it, maybe a nice mod will come along and close it.
    I hope it's not closed before someone explains how webOS is ahead of iOS.

And if "true multitasking, duh" is the reason, I'd like to know what kind of real world multitasking they're doing on webOS that can't be done on iOS.
    The iPhone was only a game changer because it was there first, and Steve Jobs took advantage of all his fan boys in the blogosphere to make sure iPhone was the "cool" phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    The iPhone was only a game changer because it was there first, and Steve Jobs took advantage of all his fan boys in the blogosphere to make sure iPhone was the "cool" phone.
    So the iPhone was only popular because it was the first phone to save us from BBOS, PalmOS, and Windows Mobile.

Got it.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I started this thread for exactly what I stated in my first post. The fact that people started mocking the Pre 2 for being yet another remake of the original pre even though apple remakes the iPhone each year. The first pre wasnt too great, mostly because it was underpowered and shaky. the pre plus wasnt popular because of well, verizon. I think palm did well with the pre plus even though it was a minor upgrade. I think the Pre 2 would be a great competitor to the iphone 4 if advertised right.

No, I dont want the thread close, it was opened partly for debate and mostly for opinion. So dont assume that you know what is happening
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I hope it's not closed before someone explains how webOS is ahead of iOS.

And if "true multitasking, duh" is the reason, I'd like to know what kind of real world multitasking they're doing on webOS that can't be done on iOS.
    Multitasking is definitely something that puts it ahead, as well as the simplicity of using it.
    Unfortunately, manordwall, you're probably going to attract more i-trolls in this thread than anything else.
    The answer was already said.

Repeating a popular successful model.

Repeating a failed model.

/thread.
    Multitasking is definitely something that puts it ahead, as well as the simplicity of using it.
    webOS has a better interface for switching between apps. I'd argue that the implementation is worse than iOS', though, just because of iOS' superior memory management.
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    ...The creepy girl was only part of the problem...lots of quality issues, slow laggy, underpowered, tmc errors, lots of exchanges/returns gave it a bad rep which started a snowball effect (word of mouth)and the rest was history.
    I totally agree... If Palm had come out of the gate with a solidly built device it would be a different story. The Pre may be a 'past' device that was rushed to market. But webOS is far from a dead platform.

My personal take on the whole Pre hardware thing is this (includes Pixi).. Ruby's whole intent wasn't to sell a ton of phones, but to get a phone to market and show off webOS. Palm was running dry for funds and webOS was actually the product on sale - not the hardware. I'm under the impression that Ruby's whole intent was to actually sell webOS (Palm as a whole) to a large company like HP, BB, HTC, etc... not to revive Palm as a stand alone company. He needed to get webOS to market as quickly as possible and a cool device. The Pre was rushed to get webOS out there in front of people to show off and entice potential bidders for Palm. The device was flawed, but to Ruby it was about showcasing the OS, not the equipment. The Plus versions of both were brought out later to fit the original hardware concept. Again, Ruby wanted to hit the market within a certain time window...the window as closing, so they released the non-Plus versions to get the OS to market (knowing they could advance the hardware later).

That's just my take on it... not other's I'm sure. WebOS was a HUGE product for Palm and they needed to sell to survive. They put all their resources into that OS and... in the end, the move paid off. If you look at it that way - it was a heck of a business move by Ruby. He didn't fail with Palm... he actually succeeded with his whole project.

Like I said... just my take on it It doesn't matter to me in the long run. WebOS is a great OS with a ton of potential for a market that is growing exponentially every year.
    I don't see the need to say it is better or worse than the iPhone. Each serves different niches and have their own pluses and drawbacks. Why does there have to be a decision this early in the game?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/29/2010 at 03:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    The answer was already said.

Repeating a popular successful model.

Repeating a failed model.

/thread.
    I'd say this is fair enough. Regardless of what you think of WebOS, when you factor in the early hardware issues, the lackluster marketing, and other corporate/carrier decisions, the sales campaign for the pre as a whole gave an ineffective perception (or no perception) to many people. A totally new model gives you a better opportunity to make a better first impression again.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast