Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 67
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    In this type of market, in this type of country failures are always remembered.

    People will flat out avoid the Pre 2 for no other reason than what happened with the quality of the Pre.
    That, in itself, is a good enough reason to drop it.
    That is actually not true. One of the big mistakes that hurt Palm will actually help the Pre 2, poor marketing of the Pre. Failures are only remembered when they were actually noticed and one of the big failures of Palm was they didn't market the Pre well enough to really be noticed.
  2. #42  
    Isn't it weird that the editor of TiPb.com, Apple's "Pre|Central",(Rene Ritchie) doesn't outright say that Palm is dead like many of her minions that frequent here.(Sorry guys nothing personal but you really are a drag on those of us that do have Palm's, and I'm sick of getting our noses rubbed in it like we did something wrong.... It was a good choice for me at the time... You know... Just past Christmas, just laid off from work...FREE Smartphone...ya bad decision...) but anyways it's not about that.... She says" ...the market CAN and WILL change on a dime and then change again. Palm reinvented themselves once already with the Pre." ..."the Pre 2 doesn't have to excite, it just has to place-hold." but then to you guys that seem to know it all .... She probably doesn't know what she's talking about, that's why she's editor right? Wasn't about whatcha know it's who you know?" anyways that's it. All there in black & white front page of PreCentral feel free to voice your opinions if you disagree with her, and maybe if you do know more than her and she's totally way off, maybe you should try and take her job. Have a great day, happy halloween, seeyas.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    That is actually not true. One of the big mistakes that hurt Palm will actually help the Pre 2, poor marketing of the Pre. Failures are only remembered when they were actually noticed and one of the big failures of Palm was they didn't market the Pre well enough to really be noticed.
    I'm not sure I'm following what you're talking about.

    Sprint pushed the Pre significantly.
    It was practically their signature device on any Sprint commercial nationwide for months.
    Every reviewer was asking the question of if it was an "iphone killer".

    While the actual Palm Pre commercials were...at times...creepy...with that woman... the Pre was pretty well advertised.

    The Pre 2 is looking to have little to no actual advertisement and little to no push by any major carrier thus far.

    So again, not sure I'm following you.


    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Isn't it weird that the editor of TiPb.com, Apple's "Pre|Central",(Rene Ritchie) doesn't outright say that Palm is dead like many of her minions that frequent here.(Sorry guys nothing personal but you really are a drag on those of us that do have Palm's, and I'm sick of getting our noses rubbed in it like we did something wrong.... It was a good choice for me at the time... You know... Just past Christmas, just laid off from work...FREE Smartphone...ya bad decision...) but anyways it's not about that.... She says" ...the market CAN and WILL change on a dime and then change again. Palm reinvented themselves once already with the Pre." ..."the Pre 2 doesn't have to excite, it just has to place-hold." but then to you guys that seem to know it all .... She probably doesn't know what she's talking about, that's why she's editor right? Wasn't about whatcha know it's who you know?" anyways that's it. All there in black & white front page of PreCentral feel free to voice your opinions if you disagree with her, and maybe if you do know more than her and she's totally way off, maybe you should try and take her job. Have a great day, happy halloween, seeyas.
    I disagree with every letter of the quote you just posted.
    [I also add that being an editor doesn't mean too much. Much like being President doesn't mean your I.Q. is above 50]

    The Pre itself... a phone that was pushed by a lot of different reviewers and was Sprint's signature phone for months...resulted in a market share loss of about 50%.
    EVEN IF the Pre 2 [with little to no advertising thus far and the release on Verizon upcoming] somehow held on to the remaining 4%...
    So what?
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 10/29/2010 at 05:40 PM. Reason: made two posts into one
  4. #44  
    I'll get it (if it comes to Sprint) for the simple fact of the Gorilla glass screen. No more scratch magnet.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    (Sorry guys nothing personal but you really are a drag on those of us that do have Palm's, and I'm sick of getting our noses rubbed in it like we did something wrong....
    Well, that's just rich. This thread was started as nothing more than a flame war. No one should be surprised to find themselves in one, now. Further, it was particularly started to pick a fight with iPhone users. Nothing new for this community, either.

    Palm has been trying to pick a fight with Apple from the beginning. The community has taken up the battle cry. For reasons that escape me, many in this community never miss a chance to take a cheap shot at the iPhone and the people who use them. Foolish comparisons are made, and names are called. Can't win in the market? no problem. You can at least win the flame war, right?

    So pardon me if I am somewhat insensitive to your pain. For the second time, I suggest that the thread be closed, as it never served any purpose except for venting and petty cheap shots.

    Seems like the iPhone is on the minds of more Pre users than iPhone users. Trust me, you guys are the only ones fighting. Apple doesn't even know you're there. Let it go. Love what you love, and leave the comparisons and the hate behind.
  6. #46  
    Meh, if I wanted an iPhone I'd have one. I'm happy for those that have one and like it, but it's not for me.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Well, that's just rich. This thread was started as nothing more than a flame war. No one should be surprised to find themselves in one, now. Further, it was particularly started to pick a fight with iPhone users. Nothing new for this community, either.

    Palm has been trying to pick a fight with Apple from the beginning. The community has taken up the battle cry. For reasons that escape me, many in this community never miss a chance to take a cheap shot at the iPhone and the people who use them. Foolish comparisons are made, and names are called. Can't win in the market? no problem. You can at least win the flame war, right?

    So pardon me if I am somewhat insensitive to your pain. For the second time, I suggest that the thread be closed, as it never served any purpose except for venting and petty cheap shots.

    Seems like the iPhone is on the minds of more Pre users than iPhone users. Trust me, you guys are the only ones fighting. Apple doesn't even know you're there. Let it go. Love what you love, and leave the comparisons and the hate behind.
    I completely agree with this post.[well, about how members of this forum act anyway]
    I rarely ever had any comments on the android vs webos discussion and now that's literally all I comment on.
    The reason? Because of the literally asinine and completely ignorant statements about Android made by people that, for whatever reason, are completely blind for their love of Palm/Webos no matter what.
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 10/29/2010 at 06:04 PM.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Palm has been trying to pick a fight with Apple from the beginning. The community has taken up the battle cry. For reasons that escape me, many in this community never miss a chance to take a cheap shot at the iPhone and the people who use them. Foolish comparisons are made, and names are called. Can't win in the market? no problem. You can at least win the flame war, right?
    It's funny. People talk about the arrogance of Apple while conveniently forgetting things like Rubinstein's "I have never used an iPhone," McNamee's lunacy that Palm had to issue a retraction for and, of course, the famous:

    My assumption is that Palm (PALM) would try to take market share by coming in significantly lower than the $200 or so Apple wants for its iPhone. But when I ran that theory by Palm CEO Ed Colligan, he looked at me liked I’d peed on his rug. “Why would we do that when we have a significantly better product,” he asked, then walked away.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    That is actually not true. One of the big mistakes that hurt Palm will actually help the Pre 2, poor marketing of the Pre. Failures are only remembered when they were actually noticed and one of the big failures of Palm was they didn't market the Pre well enough to really be noticed.
    The problem I see with that is that there are two groups of people palm needs to convince to "forget about our most recent failure". They are the carriers and the consumers.

    A store manager at Spring said to me simply: "The Pre was just bad for business." So Palm needs to convince the carriers to simply carry this "new" device.

    Consumers who have had many replacements (I've had 6 myself, but I've seen someone post 12 - TWELVE REPLACEMENTS OF THE SAME PHONE ) are going to find it a bit hard to come back and they will tell their friends not to touch it.

    So I hope HP really cranks up the marketing machine into overdrive because they will need that and perhaps more to counter the combined effects of Palm's previous mistakes.

    I agree with you to a point and I've said it before; Palm's marketing mistake may be a blessing in disguise. However, lets see how they do with getting the carriers onboard first.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Consumers who have had many replacements (I've had 6 myself, but I've seen someone post 12 - TWELVE REPLACEMENTS OF THE SAME PHONE ) are going to find it a bit hard to come back and they will tell their friends not to touch it.
    I was one that went through 12 in 12 months.


    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I agree with you to a point and I've said it before; Palm's marketing mistake may be a blessing in disguise.
    Can someone please explain this "mistake" for me again?
  11. #51  
    Ditto, because Sprint was responsible for marketing.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I was one that went through 12 in 12 months.
    That's rough man! I was fuming after the 4th one. And gave up on #6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Can someone please explain this "mistake" for me again?
    Well, Palm really did a poor job marketing the Pre and webOS. Their first ad was cool to me (the one with the rings of people). But they remained too...artsy? with it and never really let people know what the device and OS could do. My guess is it had to do with their budget but as a consumer, I wouldn't care.

    So there is a chance that many people don't know about the Pre and will see this as "the new Palm phone". Of course, they've got to make sure carriers carry it first.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    That's rough man! I was fuming after the 4th one. And gave up on #6.
    Well, Palm really did a poor job marketing the Pre and webOS. Their first ad was cool to me (the one with the rings of people). But they remained too...artsy? with it and never really let people know what the device and OS could do. My guess is it had to do with their budget but as a consumer, I wouldn't care.

    So there is a chance that many people don't know about the Pre and will see this as "the new Palm phone". Of course, they've got to make sure carriers carry it first.
    I...guess that's true... but Sprint also pushed marketing on it like I said.

    And the reviewers stirring about it was also free marketing.

    I don't see anything about the Pre 2 so to suggest that the Pre 2 could help save or maintain market share seems...silly.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I'm not sure I'm following what you're talking about.

    Sprint pushed the Pre significantly.
    It was practically their signature device on any Sprint commercial nationwide for months.
    Every reviewer was asking the question of if it was an "iphone killer".

    While the actual Palm Pre commercials were...at times...creepy...with that woman... the Pre was pretty well advertised.

    The Pre 2 is looking to have little to no actual advertisement and little to no push by any major carrier thus far.

    So again, not sure I'm following you.
    First time I'd ever heard of the Palm Pre or webOS was about March of this year. I'd never seen a Sprint commercial, never seen a Verizon commercial (don't even know if they existed) and in reality the only reason I found out about the Pre was because I started researching alternatives to the Droid. I'd certainly heard all there was to know about the iPhone well before it even launched without doing research even though at that point I had lost my interest in PDAs, which is what the iPhone amounted to in it's original form. The reason for not really considering it when I gained interest in smartphones was because it was on AT&T.

    I'm pretty sure my exposure to the Pre before researching enough to actually find it is more typical of the general population then most people on these boards.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I...guess that's true... but Sprint also pushed marketing on it like I said.
    Well, Sprint seemed to market their 3G "Now" network and usually gave the Pre more of an honorable mention at the end of each commercial. I wouldn't really say Sprint "pushed" the Pre. I also haven't seen them push the Evo or Epic anymore than they've pushed the Pre. They are pushing their network and 4G more than any particular device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    And the reviewers stirring about it was also free marketing.
    Yes but laymen do not really follow these reviewers. In my experience, the average Joe consults a review of a device after they've become interested in that device. So it's not fair to count these reviews so much as "marketing".

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I don't see anything about the Pre 2 so to suggest that the Pre 2 could help save or maintain market share seems...silly.
    Nor I. But for someone who has never seen a Pre before (and with almost 0% mindshare, I'd guess there are quite a few of those people out there), there is a chance "they" may see the Pre 2 as something new.
  16. rkguy's Avatar
    Posts
    803 Posts
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Isn't it weird that the editor of TiPb.com, Apple's "Pre|Central",(Rene Ritchie) doesn't outright say that Palm is dead like many of her minions that frequent here.(Sorry guys nothing personal but you really are a drag on those of us that do have Palm's, and I'm sick of getting our noses rubbed in it like we did something wrong.... It was a good choice for me at the time... You know... Just past Christmas, just laid off from work...FREE Smartphone...ya bad decision...) but anyways it's not about that.... She says" ...the market CAN and WILL change on a dime and then change again. Palm reinvented themselves once already with the Pre." ..."the Pre 2 doesn't have to excite, it just has to place-hold." but then to you guys that seem to know it all .... She probably doesn't know what she's talking about, that's why she's editor right? Wasn't about whatcha know it's who you know?" anyways that's it. All there in black & white front page of PreCentral feel free to voice your opinions if you disagree with her, and maybe if you do know more than her and she's totally way off, maybe you should try and take her job. Have a great day, happy halloween, seeyas.
    I always though Rene was a guy
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    I always though Rene was a guy
    He is a guy. Some people, especially in the US, don't know that Rene is a unisex name so they just assume he's a she.
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I'm not sure I'm following what you're talking about.

    Sprint pushed the Pre significantly.
    It was practically their signature device on any Sprint commercial nationwide for months.
    Every reviewer was asking the question of if it was an "iphone killer".

    While the actual Palm Pre commercials were...at times...creepy...with that woman... the Pre was pretty well advertised.

    The Pre 2 is looking to have little to no actual advertisement and little to no push by any major carrier thus far.

    So again, not sure I'm following you.
    I do agree with you that Sprint did an outstanding job of marketing the pre and then the pixi. Lets not Argue that no one expected it to go great being the debut of the software and hardware. But it did surprisingly go very well. While numerous returns were made Sprint does have a policy of after the 3rd return pick a new phone and many people stuck with it. But if you take a Survey on P|C you will find the majority are Sprint users because Verizon didnt do a great job of marketing Palm and word got out to people on At&t that it is supposedly a "bad" phone so not many got it there either. But your right, Sprint for the most part did there job of marketing it.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Well, that's just rich. This thread was started as nothing more than a flame war. No one should be surprised to find themselves in one, now. Further, it was particularly started to pick a fight with iPhone users. Nothing new for this community, either.

    Palm has been trying to pick a fight with Apple from the beginning. The community has taken up the battle cry. For reasons that escape me, many in this community never miss a chance to take a cheap shot at the iPhone and the people who use them. Foolish comparisons are made, and names are called. Can't win in the market? no problem. You can at least win the flame war, right?

    So pardon me if I am somewhat insensitive to your pain. For the second time, I suggest that the thread be closed, as it never served any purpose except for venting and petty cheap shots.

    Seems like the iPhone is on the minds of more Pre users than iPhone users. Trust me, you guys are the only ones fighting. Apple doesn't even know you're there. Let it go. Love what you love, and leave the comparisons and the hate behind.
    I started this thread for a debate and peoples opinion, while it is well known that people get a bit hectic with a debate its not meant to be a "flame war" and not to be a cheap shot at the iphone. Its a point out at the people who may or may not be apple fans criticize palm for putting out the same phone 3 times while apple has done it 4 times. Im not dissing on iPhone, I think its very innovative and clearly very popular. However, you seem to be having a bad day or something because you appear pretty upset or mad. I dont know what went wrong with you today maybe you held your iPhone wrong and couldnt make a call but your just ruining everyone else's good day.
  20.    #60  
    Well, Sprint seemed to market their 3G "Now" network and usually gave the Pre more of an honorable mention at the end of each commercial. I wouldn't really say Sprint "pushed" the Pre. I also haven't seen them push the Evo or Epic anymore than they've pushed the Pre. They are pushing their network and 4G more than any particular device.
    I think the real reason they are pushing Evo and Epic more than they did the pre is because they are on 4g, not so much that they are Android because by now everyone knows that game and is just wowed by it. When Android was truly emerging about a year ago Sprint had the Moment and Hero coming out and pushed those two about the same as the pre and pixi. So I guess I agree with you
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions