1.    #1  
    Love em' or hate em', this is a big deal. Apple is enjoying an incredible run of success with no signs of stopping. They are taking out the big boys one by one. Three years ago, RIM was their measuring stick. Now, RIM is in Apple's rear-view mirror.

AT&T has added more new subscribers, thanks to the iPhone, than Verizon for the last six quarters, and is very close to overtaking Big Red in total users.

The iPad has obliterated the tablet paradigm, and has become the fastest adopted device in the history of consumer electronics. After seven months on the market, there is still no credible competitor for sale. If iPads are counted as PCs, Apple is the #1 PC maker in America.

Now, Redmond is starting to feel the tsunami. Eventhough MS posted record numbers, they were handily beaten by Apple for the first time in recent memory.

This is not a marketing trick, or a simple matter of luck. Apple is defying economic recession and near record unemployment. Even I don't know what accounts for this meteoric rise.

Apple's opposition seems to be more interested in minimizing, and even trying to diminish Apples success by creating, or bandwagoning perceived flaws in the iPhone 4. Such attempts have not only failed, but have seen sales of the product break new records and set new standards.

Rather than rehashing all the tired arguments about why we love or hate Apple, perhaps we can consider some lessons that can be learned and applied by competitors.

Is Apple successful run nothing more than a fluke, or is there something to be learned? What can HP do differently to compete? What would it take to slow the Apple Express? Does Apple have to lose for Palm to win?

Thoughts?

Here is the source link.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Most of what you're saying is true but slowly but surely comparisons between Microsoft and Apple are becoming apples to oranges. Microsoft are mostly a software and computer accessory company and Apple is becoming more and more a consumer electronics company. That's not necessarily a bad thing for either company just a difference in strategies - Apple is certainly more in tune with the convergence of computer software and electronics than Microsoft.

As for HP I'm not sure what they can do. They are on record as saying they don't want to become a consumer electronics business, but saying that they are planning a WebOS tablet and a run of smart phones. I'm a little confused there myself What HP don't have though (and very few others btw) is a vertically integrated business like Apple. What Apple have created is a very profitable business model where they can seamlessly integrate content, hardware and operating systems. No other company can do that across all their product lines - the closest HP gets is the OS and hardware in the mobile space, but they have no content other that the app store - no music, no movies, no computer applications (alah the just announced Mac App Store).

I won't knock Apple's business strategy - its works great for them and provides an easy to use environment for the every day user. Throw in some of the best marketing in any business and it makes for a great recipe for success. That doesn't mean I have to like their arrogant attitude (they really do remind of Microsoft in the 90's) or be a fan of their closed environment - sorry I couldn't resist a little knock there

With that been said, I'm a gadget guy and I, along with most here I would imagine, have no problem flipping between different content providers and OS, and hardware. The average customer is not like us - they want an easy way to do everything, and if the hardware is drop dead gorgeous then its even better - for the every day consumer and of course Apple's bottom line.
    Last edited by solarus; 10/28/2010 at 11:09 PM.