Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    !

Look familiar? : )

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Saw this yesterday. Think Palm/HP should be looking into seeing if this breaks any patents. Would not stand for this. PalmPad get ready for a fight!

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    They're call imitaters... It's hard to stop them.

Regards,
    I wonder if Palm has IP protection on this?

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Hell with the tablets, if they are smart Rim should put this Qnx OS on their blackberrys it will be a "killer" for them and i'm not talking about Iphone!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    Saw this yesterday. Think Palm/HP should be looking into seeing if this breaks any patents. Would not stand for this. PalmPad get ready for a fight!
    Better check with Microsoft first - this was a capability in Windows Mobile back in 2003.
  7.    #7  
    ^swipe up to home view was?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    New Video, swipe up home screen, plus swipe cards away.

BlackBerry PlayBook first hands-on! (video) -- Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by housetube View Post
    New Video, swipe up home screen, plus swipe cards away.

BlackBerry PlayBook first hands-on! (video) -- Engadget
    I guess we know where to go if HP fails to bring a PalmPad...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainforrest View Post
    I guess we know where to go if HP fails to bring a PalmPad...
    I saw this video too, I was amazed. What a rip off of webOS. Oh well, hopefully the Palm Pad will bigger in size like the iPad, other wise it may look identical to the Playbook.

As it stands now, it looks like the Playbook does a better job than the iPad, when it comes to web browsing.

The "swipe up" gesture on my MacBook Pro takes me to my desktop. Did Palm copy Apple?

Cards remind me of Areo. Did Palm copy Microsoft?

Pinch-to-zoom?

Point: This happens all the time. Ideas are expanded upon. It's likely not going to result in any sort of patent fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    The "swipe up" gesture on my MacBook Pro takes me to my desktop. Did Palm copy Apple?

Cards remind me of Areo. Did Palm copy Microsoft?

Pinch-to-zoom?

Point: This happens all the time. Ideas are expanded upon. It's likely not going to result in any sort of patent fight.
    Its one thing to take an idea like pinch to zoom, but they copied the whole flow of the os from what it looks like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    Its one thing to take an idea like pinch to zoom, but they copied the whole flow of the os from what it looks like.
    In fact, even their controls are called widgets (similar to mojo widgets). So I'm not saying they didn't copy things. My point is they all take ideas and try to make them better. webOS fells A LOT like CoverFlow. I've personally built Web 2.0 systems that used notifications that I was reminded of when I saw webOS years later. This stuff is not really new, just remixed.

I didn't create this particular example, but I've built similar stuff. I'm posting it not to suggest webOS copied anything here but to show there are lots of similar "stuff" out there that "showed up" in webOS later on. It's just the way it is.

The example (again, not mine but I've done similar): ToastWindow
    it doesn't matter who copied who. All that matters is who gets credit for it. Nobody knows what webOS is. By the time PalmPad comes out, it'll look like HP is the copycat to the public.
    My big take away is that the Black Book or whatever it's called was slow. When the first nerd was showing the flash app and swiped up, it noticeably stuttered. My assumption is that the Palm Pad will not. Of course, there will be no stuttering in RIM's commercials. In the end, I don't see the battle being won or lost by swipe up, or pinch to zoom. Much will depend on how they market it, to whom they market it, and distribution channels.
    My second thought is that the fat nerd, with all his talk about air, has no idea what will resonate with John Q Public. They need to get Angry Birds on the next demo, not Graceful Whales.
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    My second thought is that the fat nerd, with all his talk about air, has no idea what will resonate with John Q Public. They need to get Angry Birds on the next demo, not Graceful Whales.
    Assuming their focus is Jonh Q Public. I can tell you that at my current job we've already sent developers to RIM's BBOS6 training/marketing and there were many companies in attendance. BBOS is in the 3 OSes we are targeting (the other two are Android and iOS). So I'm not so sure Angry Birds is going to matter if they continue to target the Enterprise.
    @ Taharka, I think you are right, which is also why I don't think swiping and pinching will matter in thefinal analysis. Both HP and RIM are goingto be looking for large contract purchases. The quality and reach of their respective sales teams, coupled with support for company specific solutions will win the day. In my opinion, HP has a better chance in this, because they have experience selling a variety of tailored hardware options, whereas RIM only knows how to sell phones.

My guess regarding development priorities is that your companies and others are targeting what is in the market now. The focus can and (hopefully) will change as WP7 and webOS begin launching new platforms.

I hope RIM and HP are successful. I'd like to see multuple competitive platforms that rip off the best from each other and innovate for diferentiation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    it doesn't matter who copied who. All that matters is who gets credit for it. Nobody knows what webOS is. By the time PalmPad comes out, it'll look like HP is the copycat to the public.
    I agree, if the Playbook comes out before the PalmPam (which I'm sure it will), it will definitely look like HP/Palm is the copycat. I think HP should take legal action, let the legal wars begin!!!

Should HP/Palm Take Legal Action? | webOSroundup
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I agree, if the Playbook comes out before the PalmPam (which I'm sure it will), it will definitely look like HP/Palm is the copycat. I think HP should take legal action, let the legal wars begin!!!

Should HP/Palm Take Legal Action? | webOSroundup
    Take what legal action? HP/Palm did not invent multitasking, scrolling thru displayed apps, minimizing apps, and swiping the screen to cause things to happen.

What HP/Palm did was coin the phase "Apps in Cards".
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast