1.    #1  
    This is a pretty neat trick. A clever user over at talk.maemo.org noticed that Nokia’s N900 was pretty similar in specs to the Palm Pre, and that they both run SDL 1.2 — meaning that it should be able to run unmodified WebOS binaries.

Using a little elbow grease, hoodoo, and magic, YouTube user fukywak has put together a video showing that it is possible to run EA’s Sims 3 and Need For Speed without having to boot into a WebOS emulator.

Now, the Palm Pre supports multi-touch, while the N900 doesn’t, so you need to pick a game that doesn’t require a multi-touch gesture for anything critical.

The original thread is here, with (some) details on getting it working here. The site keeps dropping out, though, so I don’t have any more details than what I’ve said here. If you’re keen, though, keep on at it!

[Via: Techcrunch]

Palm Pre gets SDL! native gaming - maemo.org - Talk | Awesome Screenshot
  2.    #2  
    Woulda thought there wouldve been more replies by now

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Neat. Does this mean maemo apps can run on webOS?

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spongamabob View Post
    Neat. Does this mean maemo apps can run on webOS?
    that's the question! can we use N900 apps on a pre?

and of course, now that the information is out, in which version palm/nokia will add a special bit somewhere to prevent it.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Yeah, WebOS is much more elegant than Maemo. But, with Nokia's staggering world-wide presence, I can see being Maemo getting more attention from software developers than WebOS.

Therefore, vice-versa would be really interesting (Maemo apps running on a Pre).
    Anyone from webOS-internals feel like chiming in on Maemo to WebOS conversions?