1.    #1  
    Speculations aside, it would be extremely powerful to see a series of videos comparing the Palm Pre 2 against some of its contemporaries.

For instance, a series of videos comparing the Palm Pre 2 against, say, the iPhone 4, Droid X, Droid 2, HTC Evo & Samsung Galaxy variants in three areas:

(1) Raw performance: opening and running stock/PDK apps such as the email app, messenger app, web browser, picture viewers and stock music players, 3D games

(2) Multi-tasking: opening multiple apps. e.g. opening two web-pages, a local picture picture, play a track from a specific artist and viewing two emails

(3) Productivity: completing a predefined sequence of tasks. e.g. send a web link of an opened page, the loaded local picture as attachment with the name of the artist to two local contacts via email and to another two via google talk and another one via SMS.

I have been unsatisfied with the comparison videos that I have seen in the past and feel a true comparison of the capabilities of these devices/platforms needs to consider their raw performance, multi-tasking capabilities & productivity/ease of use.

Obviously, creating these video series would require accessibility to these devices, motivation and time to make them.

I would, therefore, suggest that we all implore reviewers/bloggers to at least consider creating such videos.
    That would be coming as soon as the pre2 hits the states.^_^
    personally i think you're playing with fire trying to directly compare the pre2 to many of the more recent phones like the G2 , Evo, Iphone 4 etc. processor wise it's fine but i don't think most people have any clue what processor speed a phone is or care. "running stock/PDK apps"? I mean i still have know clue what the difference is and i don't think regular people do. And when they start comparing they will compare stuff like video recording, visual voicemail, shazam, the robust gmail app, front facing camera, video chat. And the pre2 will sit there going, "I can't do that."

do you really want to put the stock pre crappy email app up against the very good and much more robust gmail app on android? Stock music player is horrendous. There's no way i'd mention that vs the iphone's music capabilities. the stock app doesn't even do gapless playback or sync easily. And Android at least has some apps coming out like Winamp.

like highlighting multitasking? I don't know. It had multitasking and it didn't sell the first set of phones. i don't think it will be any different. I mean multitasking is nice but i don't think most consumers care. it's good enough.
  4.    #4  
    @RUSH
    We have already seen videos from Precentral & Engadget and there could be others. So there are Pre 2 devices in some select hands in the US and the idea would be to convince those select hands to make videos now.

@BLACKMAGIC01
    Your are definitely right about the app-defficiencies of the Palm Pre 2.

However, you are at best only "probably right" about the performance differences. Neither you or anybody I know have seen a comparison. So, any claim that you make isn't any different from a claim that the stock Palm Pre+ running webOS 2.0 is much faster than the Droid X with Froyo.

In which case, the goal of the comparisons would be to have an "objective" basis for making any claims about how these devices fare against each other.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    @DumbPreCommenter
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    In the How fast is your phone? thread we tested two apps that are native on the Pre, EVO, Epic, Droid X, BlackBerry Torch, Storm, and Bold: Facebook and Google Maps.

Everyone else was faster than even a rooted Pre overclocked to 1 GHz.

By a lot.

-Snip
    Webos 2.0 is not going to improve performance as much as everyone thinks. Look at the some of the video's posted in the pre 2 forums a stock clocked pre+ is almost as fast as a pre 2..
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    personally i think you're playing with fire trying to directly compare the pre2 to many of the more recent phones like the G2 , Evo, Iphone 4 etc. processor wise it's fine but i don't think most people have any clue what processor speed a phone is or care. "running stock/PDK apps"? I mean i still have know clue what the difference is and i don't think regular people do. And when they start comparing they will compare stuff like video recording, visual voicemail, shazam, the robust gmail app, front facing camera, video chat. And the pre2 will sit there going, "I can't do that."

do you really want to put the stock pre crappy email app up against the very good and much more robust gmail app on android? Stock music player is horrendous. There's no way i'd mention that vs the iphone's music capabilities. the stock app doesn't even do gapless playback or sync easily. And Android at least has some apps coming out like Winamp.

like highlighting multitasking? I don't know. It had multitasking and it didn't sell the first set of phones. i don't think it will be any different. I mean multitasking is nice but i don't think most consumers care. it's good enough.
    In the OP's defense, Palm/HP would be doing the video comparisons. They set the criteria. They set the rules. It's their ad.

Obviously then, you don't make yourself look stupid and compare webOS's weaknesses to the competitor's strengths. You sorta do the reverse.

If the competitors respond back, then consider it a win to even be thinking of you. Because i seriously doubt, Apple for instance, would change its marketing campaign to go to war at Palm. Remember, Palm/HP are gnats in marketshare, are better ignored by the competition, and have nothing to lose by taking risks.

Ultimately, i don't think it matters. Palm/HP needs a nice looking slab first and foremost because that is what will draw the mainstream. Comparing a Pre vs a bigger screen slab is just flawed no matter how much you control the ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Ultimately, i don't think it matters. Palm/HP needs a nice looking slab first and foremost because that is what will draw the mainstream. Comparing a Pre vs a bigger screen slab is just flawed no matter how much you control the ad.
    Exactly. I remember those "Instinct vs. iPhone" spots Sprint did that did nothing so much as they showed how much smaller and washed out the Instinct screen was. Of course, they were rendered completely inert by the then-new iPhone 3G dropping a little while later.
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbPreCommenter View Post

@BLACKMAGIC01
    Your are definitely right about the app-defficiencies of the Palm Pre 2.

However, you are at best only "probably right" about the performance differences. Neither you or anybody I know have seen a comparison. So, any claim that you make isn't any different from a claim that the stock Palm Pre+ running webOS 2.0 is much faster than the Droid X with Froyo.

In which case, the goal of the comparisons would be to have an "objective" basis for making any claims about how these devices fare against each other.
    i made no such claim. i said nothing about one phone being "as fast as" or faster then a droid x. In fact i don't know that little distinctions in processor speed matter to most consumers.

i made a fact claim. One records in hd the other doesn't. one has a front facing camera. the other doesn't. one can video chat. the other doesn't. And the list goes on and on. These are facts. save formats are part of android, zoom and autofocus are part of iphone and EVO.

That is not about performance of something like ghz that almost no consumer goes into the store asking about. maybe a few phone geeks but not the bulk of consumers. I mean how many people had any clue what the processor speed was of the original pre when they walked into the store? I sure didn't. See just like multitasking, i think the problem with the pre users mindset is that they keep pushing features that don't matter nearly as much to most consumers. Not saying that Multitasking is bad or useless or not a draw. I'm saying that for the bulk of consumers the other platforms multitask good enough to get the sale.

But the point still stands, if you want to start comparing the total package of a pre 2 to iphone 4 , or evo or the G2 a Pre 2 just looks deficient. I mean i'd just have a rebuttal commerial with the iphone 4, evo, g2 etc on one side and the pre 2 on another and i'd just pose the question, "Can your phone do this" And i'd rattle off a list visual voicemail, video chat, hd recording, and when it comes to iphone you could have a commercial for every major app not available on webos with is thousands of apps. hell their slogan is "there's an app for that" Apple would just go "yep but not on Webos." To me it's like comparing a honda accord to a 7 series bmw. both ok cars but the 7 is in a class by itself features wise. I think the only people that think the pre 2 compares favorably to the elite phones are current pre users and i think that's a bit delusional. And my point is i wouldn't highlight that cause assuming they even pay attention to a phone with like 3% marketshare and 0% mindshare, it would easily be rebutted and it makes webos look bad.

In the OP's defense, Palm/HP would be doing the video comparisons. They set the criteria. They set the rules. It's their ad.

Obviously then, you don't make yourself look stupid and compare webOS's weaknesses to the competitor's strengths. You sorta do the reverse.
    True but it was the OP's hypothetical and he listed like 3 or 4 things he'd highlight. My response was to his list of enumerated things. He was saying those are what HP should highlight. I merely said to do that would, as you put it, "make yourself look stupid."

If the competitors respond back, then consider it a win to even be thinking of you. Because i seriously doubt, Apple for instance, would change its marketing campaign to go to war at Palm.
    agreed pretty much what i said above. i dont' think Palm is really on anyone's radar at the moment.

Maybe i wasn't eloquent enough but this was exactly the point i thought i expressed in my post. Such a comparison would be a flawed strategy.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 10/25/2010 at 03:35 PM.
  9.    #9  
    My suggestion for the comparisons is to move away from myth; and compare based on what really counts and how people use their phones.

I am not suggesting that they should be Palm commercials, but instead to give a basis for any claim one way or the other about the relative performance of the phones (not just fast processor/operations, but ease of use -- I don't care about processor speeds either)

For instance, it was powerful to see the videos of the iPhone 4 dropping calls as evidence that it really happens and that it is reproducible.

Hardware specs are a completely different issue from what I perceive as performance criteria. Differences in hardware specs are mostly undeniable and self-evident.

Although, I haven't seen the lack of front facing cameras or lower screen resolution make the Droid X seem inferior to the iPhone. These are just check boxes, but this is not an argument I want to have.

In any case, @BLACKMAGIC01, I think I misread your earlier email.
    Im not so sure this is totally a bad idea, if one is to highlight certain aspects of the Pre 2 versus a competitor smartphone.

There are certain features that the Pre has, like cards, gestures, notifications, and multitasking that would, theoretically, compare well with competing devices - and to those potential new users who have a priority for those aspects of a smartphone, well, its a no brainer for them.

I don't know what the market statistics would be for these characteristics of the smartphone, but, I have personally seen many people "ooh and aaah" at the card swiping and flicking away of the app card.

Just sayin...

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I would like to see that comparison and highlight any features or performance advantages. I love my pre+ but I don't know if the pre2 is going to be good enough. I want to see which one is better overall.

However, if you're going to compare application opening speed, you have to compare apples to apples [or palms] Since an android or iphone keeps an app open once it's been open, unless you really close it by rebooting or using a patch, then it's not fair to show app switching on the iphone vs app opening raw on the pre -/+/2

Comparison? bring it on. I want to know!!!
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy

In any case, @BLACKMAGIC01, I think I misread your earlier email.
    no harm not foul. play on i say.
  13.    #13  
    Now that there are Palm Pre 2s flying around, how about (re)considering the suggestion in the original post.

I think side-by-side comparisons that show running multiple applications are generally more effective.

Speculations aside, it would be extremely powerful to see a series of videos comparing the Palm Pre 2 against some of its contemporaries.

For instance, a series of videos comparing the Palm Pre 2 against, say, the iPhone 4, Droid X, Droid 2, HTC Evo & Samsung Galaxy variants in three areas:

(1) Raw performance: opening and running stock/PDK apps such as the email app, messenger app, web browser, picture viewers and stock music players, 3D games

(2) Multi-tasking: opening multiple apps. e.g. opening two web-pages, a local picture picture, play a track from a specific artist and viewing two emails

(3) Productivity: completing a predefined sequence of tasks. e.g. send a web link of an opened page, the loaded local picture as attachment with the name of the artist to two local contacts via email and to another two via google talk and another one via SMS.

I have been unsatisfied with the comparison videos that I have seen in the past and feel a true comparison of the capabilities of these devices/platforms needs to consider their raw performance, multi-tasking capabilities & productivity/ease of use.

Obviously, creating these video series would require accessibility to these devices, motivation and time to make them.

I would, therefore, suggest that we all implore reviewers/bloggers to at least consider creating such videos.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    There are going to be no videos of the Pre2 vs. X phone, it was pushed out like a lame dog to die in the cold. Palm don't seem interested in this beyond simply off-loading inventory on hardcore fans and developers. Once they have a piece of hardware they proud of, maybe the 'mansion', you might start to see such video as part of some actual marketing.