Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    iOS vs. Android vs. webOS | 1n73r.net

    It was written a few months ago in June but thats just before the iphone 4 came out and when the Evo came out. It still puts some fairly accurate facts and opinions (not saying opinions are accurate) but notice how palm had a checkmark most boxes and some of the categories they didnt get a checkmark in were labeled bogus
  2. #2  
    The three most powerful operating system huh? Interesting read ~ never seen this before.


    Thanks.
  3. #3  
    Excellent article. Thanks for sharing it!
  4. #4  
    If I didn't know anything about Android, that article would have left me extremely uninformed. Under the Android column, he missed checks for

    • Ease of Use
    • Openness
    • Multitasking
    • Notification System
    • Tethering
    • Music Player


    I don't care who you point out as the winner, just include the facts at minimum.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    If I didn't know anything about Android, that article would have left me extremely uninformed. Under the Android column, he missed checks for

    • Ease of Use
    • Openness
    • Multitasking
    • Notification System
    • Tethering
    • Music Player


    I don't care who you point out as the winner, just include the facts at minimum.
    well the first one

    ease of use, is all a matter of opinion.. so you cant EXPECT him to put that one down if he doesnt believe so.

    the rest you are right.. although dont all mobile OS's in the smartphone segment give you notifications?

    EDIT: also the image posted was Lifehackers comparison between iOS and Android.. i think that he was focusing more on WebOS getting in the picture to begin with
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    If I didn't know anything about Android, that article would have left me extremely uninformed. Under the Android column, he missed checks for

    • Ease of Use
    • Openness
    • Multitasking
    • Notification System
    • Tethering
    • Music Player


    I don't care who you point out as the winner, just include the facts at minimum.
    based on when this was written, it was accurate. No carrier offered tethering until recently, android notifications still suck although improving. Ease of use is purely subjective, and openness is an argument you won't win - look at what htc and motorola (and verizon and at&3) are doing to cntrol and prevent many types of homebrew mods.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    based on when this was written, it was accurate. No carrier offered tethering until recently, android notifications still suck although improving. Ease of use is purely subjective, and openness is an argument you won't win - look at what htc and motorola (and verizon and at&3) are doing to cntrol and prevent many types of homebrew mods.
    Well said. I couldn't have stated it any better.
  8. #8  
    I'm gonna use that article for whatever it is worth in the fight of ignorance within the iP users amongs my friends.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    If I didn't know anything about Android, that article would have left me extremely uninformed. Under the Android column, he missed checks for

    • Ease of Use
    • Openness
    • Multitasking
    • Notification System
    • Tethering
    • Music Player
    I don't care who you point out as the winner, just include the facts at minimum.
    No phone even today truly multitasks. True multitasking requires dedicated processors, memory, bus, and resources for each task, like a server array. Even a dual processor is not really multitasking.

    Our phones time share just like our PC's. They do one task and freeze it (save state) when you open another task. When you you go back to the first task, the app is reopened in the state it was saved.

    That is not multitasking but to any normal user you can't tell the difference.

    But the iPhone cannot save state except on Apples own designated internal apps so it does not "multitask" (save state).

    The Android saves state (multitasks) automatically. webOS requires that the user do the multitasking (save state) by hand.

    Google begs users to not use Automatic Task Killers because it destroys the saved states. But users see the dozens of apps that are "open" (saved state) and think that they are running. They aren't.

    From Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks, Multitasking section:

    Multitasking Notes For Nerds
    If you are not a nerd, shield your eyes and go to the next topic! If you are, you may have more questions about just how Android does "Multitasking." True Autonomous Multitasking requires that each task have it's own CPU, memory, IO, and resources. No phone does this. Android uses time sharing to do Multitasking. Apps (and processes) not in use are saved into a dormant state until needed again. This saves battery and is so fast that apps reopen right where you left off. Here is a from Google.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 10/24/2010 at 11:03 PM.
  10. #10  
    I was the one who wrote that article (thanks for posting it here) and I wrote it because I really felt like webOS as a platform didn't get the recognition it deserved (still doesn't).

    Sketch hit the nail on the head
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    also the image posted was Lifehackers comparison between iOS and Android.. i think that he was focusing more on WebOS getting in the picture to begin with
    Yes some of the facts are super biased toward webOS (intentionality because I felt the original article was handled somewhat the same). And I honestly didn't think anyone would even read the article. It just so happened that the editor in chief for Lifehacker (Adam Pash) saw my message on twitter about the article and reposted it on Lifehacker. In the end it gained me like 30-40 more webOS fans as followers and Palm gave me a free Pre+ because at the time I was still using an HTC Vogue with Android 2.1 hacked on it.

    I am a huge phone nerd and I feel as a platform webOS has the most potential and does the best at managing user interaction with programs. Android and iOS have some great things about them (even Windows Phone 7 for that matter) but I still choose to use and promote webOS because I think it is the best mobile software platform.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The Android saves state (multitasks) automatically. webOS requires that the user do the multitasking (save state) by hand.

    Google begs users to not use Automatic Task Killers because it destroys the saved states. But users see the dozens of apps that are "open" (saved state) and think that they are running. They aren't.
    Although some of those programs are actually running in the background (Navigation, Co-Pilot, Torque, Music, Scorecenter are 4 I have confirmed), and Android's OS treats those no differently than it does save-state programs resulting in:
    1. Battery consuming programs running in the background, perhaps without the user's knowledge.
    2. Android OS shutdown of programs running in the background against the user's desires.
  12. #12  
    Wow yeah I cant agree with the review lol Terrible How can u go give a tie and say pick up preware... It needs to be reviewed out of the box.. Imagine if every review said go jailbreak a iphone... I have a evo but if u jailbreak a iphone its a beast! lol... Same with rooting a android device...
    Last edited by youngzayiles; 10/27/2010 at 04:58 PM.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    No phone even today truly multitasks. True multitasking requires dedicated processors, memory, bus, and resources for each task, like a server array. Even a dual processor is not really multitasking.

    Our phones time share just like our PC's. They do one task and freeze it (save state) when you open another task. When you you go back to the first task, the app is reopened in the state it was saved.

    That is not multitasking but to any normal user you can't tell the difference.

    But the iPhone cannot save state except on Apples own designated internal apps so it does not "multitask" (save state).

    The Android saves state (multitasks) automatically. webOS requires that the user do the multitasking (save state) by hand.

    Google begs users to not use Automatic Task Killers because it destroys the saved states. But users see the dozens of apps that are "open" (saved state) and think that they are running. They aren't.

    From Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks, Multitasking section:
    I disagree, to a point. Case in point: I was in Dallas a few weeks ago in the rental car heading to a friends place. On my EVO I had the Rhapsody app open and playing music and the Sprint Nav app open and running, in the background.

    The particular song was playing and then a turn came up. The Nav app talked OVER the music with the music still playing. No interruption, no stoppage of the music either.

    This was all over 3G, not 4G.

    Sure, some apps aren't really true multi-tasking but 2 apps running simultaneously and one talking over another, while both continue sure defines multi-tasking to me.

    I never ever use any kind of task killer. I let Android manage that.
  14. #14  
    del not worth it.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 10/27/2010 at 08:49 PM.
  15. #15  
    This comparison chart is severely outdated. As of iOS 4.x, almost every item listed there can be checked for the iPhone. Same for Android.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    But the iPhone cannot save state except on Apples own designated internal apps so it does not "multitask" (save state).

    Why do people here keep saying this? This is simply not true.

    I can be playing Angry Birds, take a phone call, or read an email and go right back to it, even if "mid-throw."
  17. #17  
    That's exactly what save state does, just saves your place, until you return to it. The Pre finishes the throw and can leave you with some impatient birds, if you take too long.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    No phone even today truly multitasks. True multitasking requires dedicated processors, memory, bus, and resources for each task, like a server array. Even a dual processor is not really multitasking.

    Our phones time share just like our PC's. They do one task and freeze it (save state) when you open another task. When you you go back to the first task, the app is reopened in the state it was saved.

    That is not multitasking but to any normal user you can't tell the difference.

    But the iPhone cannot save state except on Apples own designated internal apps so it does not "multitask" (save state).

    The Android saves state (multitasks) automatically. webOS requires that the user do the multitasking (save state) by hand.

    Google begs users to not use Automatic Task Killers because it destroys the saved states. But users see the dozens of apps that are "open" (saved state) and think that they are running. They aren't.

    From Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks, Multitasking section:
    HUH?!

    Multitasking doesn't require multiple CPU's, large amounts of memory, bus, etc. etc. etc. It just requires a system (OS) that allows processes to be forked.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    HUH?!

    Multitasking doesn't require multiple CPU's, large amounts of memory, bus, etc. etc. etc. It just requires a system (OS) that allows processes to be forked.
    I believe he's going on "True" multitasking... But I dare I say it?

    I agree with you !

    [i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions