Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Think about what all the standard blackberries actually do... Mostly they have email, a weird sms setup, calling, and well not a whole lot more. I guess you could include BB messenger but its basically texting. So my question is why people consider blackberries with outdated OS and not so great hardware to be smartphones. The torch is clearly their most advanced phone so far and it has an outdated OS and would probably get taken down in a match up against a pre plus. just saying...
    they are smart, but they still ride the short bus!
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 10/24/2010 at 12:12 AM.
    bb is definately a smartphone....when i had a curve i got alot of real work done on the go...it changed the way i work...
    two questions

How Is blackberry OS outdated?

What do you consider to be a smartphone?

If you ask me I believe that blackberry is the only true smartphone platform, especially with what I see of windows phone 7.

The blackberry does everything a Smartphone needs to do and does it better than any other phone out there. PalmOS is much more of a smartphone than webos is; in the traditional sense that of what a smartphone is. Unless the definition has changed where things like synergy make a phone a smartphone rather than functionality.

A smartphone isn't; Apps, big multi-touch screens, amoled, retina display, cool animations, 1ghz processors and front facing cameras for videochat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    two questions

If you ask me I believe that blackberry is the only true smartphone platform, especially with what I see of windows phone 7.

The blackberry does everything a Smartphone needs to do and does it better than any other phone out there. PalmOS is much more of a smartphone than webos is; in the traditional sense that of what a smartphone is. Unless the definition has changed where things like synergy make a phone a smartphone rather than functionality.

A smartphone isn't; Apps, big multi-touch screens, amoled, retina display, cool animations, 1ghz processors and front facing cameras for videochat.
    I disagree with the synergy statement.. But agree with everything else

+1

Kudos

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Having worked with and supported Blackberry's from the time they came out, AND the same with the Palm Pilot and first MS Pocket PCs...I can tell you the Blackberry evolved from a pager, to e-mail and then finally a phone. Palm started as a PDA; the Apple Newton (the inventor left Apple...obviously), and worked into e-mail and phone, and we all know where the Pocket PC came from.

That said, I have always referred to Blackberry's as "smart-pagers", not smartphones. It's not a put down really, it just is what it is. If BBs had started off as smartphones, I doubt they would have made it. It's because they worked up from that angle that allowed them to reach the top...but they are not smartphones...yet.
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
  7.    #7  
    two questions

I could somewhat agree with you in saying that most of the new hot smartphones today are more feature phones with a few smart things. But most blackberries do the bare minimum with not a whole lot of room for improvement.
    From Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone:

"A smartphone is a mobile phone that offers more advanced computing ability and connectivity than a contemporary basic feature phone.[2] Smartphones and feature phones may be thought of as handheld computers integrated within a mobile telephone, but while most feature phones are able to run applications based on platforms such as Java ME,[3] a smartphone allows the user to install and run more advanced applications based on a specific platform. Smartphones run complete operating system software providing a platform for application developers.[4] So nowadays we can consider a smartphone as a Personal Pocket Computer (PPC) with mobile phone functions, because these devices are mainly computers, although smaller ones than a desktop computer (DC). Additionally a PPC (Personal Pocket Computer) is more personal than a DC (desktop computer)."

From that point of view, a BB is certainly a smartphone.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    they are smart, but they still ride the short bus!
    I just laughed.
    I love my Pre :P

Follow me on Twitter!
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    I could somewhat agree with you in saying that most of the new hot smartphones today are more feature phones with a few smart things. But most blackberries do the bare minimum with not a whole lot of room for improvement.
    People seem to forget that's what they were meant to do. Business and organization first, not entertainment. Why do you think they are still high on the corporate list? Corporations probably would like employees to answer their email and take care of business, not video call friends(though this could come in handy for business too) or stream media.

RIM could put out better specs so people can do both, like on the newer Androids. So they can compete in the changing smartphone market. But they are still meant for business and organization first and foremost.

iPhone has changed things. Now entertainment and big screens are demanded on smartphones, or the phone gets deemed a failure. All-in-one devices are good things, but lets not lose perspective of what a smartphone really should do.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    two questions

Except for the apps, I agree for the most part. It's a good thing phone manufacturers are improving specs, looking at the day and age we're in. But when it comes down to basics, smartphones=tasks, email, calender, office program and web browsing for the most part.

However apps were around way before iPhone. BB had applications(do people not use that word anymore? lol), but they were expensive at the time. Apple just made non-business ones popular and also helped lower the price of apps on other platforms. Now anyone charging over $20(and even that's pushing it these days) will fail.

HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    true BB does all the basic, and does them right IMO. To me I wish more of these next generation devices, would focus and take care of all the basics that BB has been doing for years. Though I look at BB as super feature phones, what they do with their features they do better then anyone else in the market IMO. What Webos needs to make sure, is that they have all the basics, especially if HP intends on targeting the business market too. I think Webos can bridge that gap between buisness and play, only if they make sure they have all the feature a buisness user needs. Then they can make huge strides in success not only in the consumer market but BB's main market the buisness one.
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    Think about what all the standard blackberries actually do... Mostly they have email, a weird sms setup, calling, and well not a whole lot more. I guess you could include BB messenger but its basically texting. So my question is why people consider blackberries with outdated OS and not so great hardware to be smartphones. The torch is clearly their most advanced phone so far and it has an outdated OS and would probably get taken down in a match up against a pre plus. just saying...
    The best thing about BB are their email capability. As for being a smartphone.. I would call that an overstatement.:-D
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    The best thing about BB are their email capability. As for being a smartphone.. I would call that an overstatement.:-D
    Current blackberries perform all the functions of a Pre. They also have the benefit of more advanced app availability so unlike a Pre, you can voice dial, voice command, voice translate, barcode scan, use slingplayer, and take advantage of thousands more programs than the Pre. So if Blackberries aren't smartphones, that would make Pres something less than feature phones ... but with a really pretty face.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    You're forgetting that Palm OS, WM and RIM were indeed the original smartphone OSes. They are bare bones by the standards of the "hot" phones out now, but they are indeed smartphone OSes.

RIM is still somewhat bare bones, but they actually need to be that way because of corporate customers. The phones people keep comparing RIM to are actually more consumer oriented. Corporations do not want to pay for their employees to play around all day on their phones. RIM is trying to make a balance, but that's not good enough for the reviewers who keep wanting RIM to be more consumer oriented. But that's still not really their main market. I saw a review today of the upcoming 9780 and the reviewer blasted it for not having good enough social functions even though Facebook and Twitter are built in. Employers want people on Facebook and Twitter syncing photos and whatever else all day?? I don't think so!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Current blackberries perform all the functions of a Pre. They also have the benefit of more advanced app availability so unlike a Pre, you can voice dial, voice command, voice translate, barcode scan, use slingplayer, and take advantage of thousands more programs than the Pre. So if Blackberries aren't smartphones, that would make Pres something less than feature phones ... but with a really pretty face.
    Still no voice dial, voice command and barcode scan app for webOS??

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Still no voice dial, voice command and barcode scan app for webOS??
    Not in 1.45. Not yet known whether 2.0 will have them.
    Quote:
    Still no voice dial, voice command and barcode scan app for webOS?? Quote End..

I had those features before on my other phone... Not a big deal. A person can live without those.(Especially me) Eventually, hopefully, webos will have those ~ plus more important features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    you obviously haven't looked in the mirror........oh......dayum...... lol and fyi that's that's a survivalist tool ie emergency locator non-dependant on whether or not you have signal OR power
    I'll agree that bar code scanners are a luxury, but voice commands are becomming a mandatory feature in areas where they started ticketing people for talking with the phone up to their ear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast