Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37
  1. 4cdndctn's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
       #1  
    I have been a Palm loyalist for nearly a decade, but like many, I am not pleased with the blame game between HPalm and Sprint and I'm underwhelmed with the Pre2 and some things I saw with WebOS 2.0 first hand.
    What has kept me with the Pre since release day is its intuitive nature, this community and Homebrewing.
    What really pushed me over the edge was the speed of some apps, boot time, not being able to create meeting invites, flash, etc... Did I mention my launch day Pre was falling apart?!?! I'm one of the 3 million subscribers who has to deal with Cablevision and Fox not getting along, now I have to deal with Sprint and HPalm? No way...
    So what's at Google headquarters, A GIANT GINGERBREAD MAN!!! Way to go Google, get the community excited! HPalm gets an F for excitement.
    Making the decision on the next phone was easy thanks to the marketing people (and dollars) behind the Evo. My first day I missed gestures, really missed them. Where the Pre is highly intuitive and Palm was always good at minimizing the number of times its user must tap buttons (or swipe), the Evo likes to be touched, tapped, handled, etc...
    The Evo is really big, but it is really cool. The apps are incredible, the speed is incredible, it knows not what a hiccup is... Where the Pre would hang if an email and text happened to be recevied at the same time, the Evo just processes both in a flash while doing 10 other things. In fact it should be the Evo with Pre-like multi-tasking, something else I miss. For those of you that haven't used 4G, 3G seems like dial up compared to the wonders of 4G. NO WAY would I accept a Pre2 with 3G while 4G will be nearly celebrating its first anniversary shortly! Come on HPalm!
    As for battery life, both seem to last the same amount of time but you get more from the Evo during that time thanks to how Android handles programs in the background. I miss cards, but Gingerbread should take care of some of the current gaps between the two OS's, including multi-tasking.
    So will I keep the Evo, YES! Do I think it's the bees knees and puts the Pre to shame? NO! Am I disappointed in Palm? Yes! HTC? No! Sprint? MAYBE!
    My wife has a Pixi, and she will keep it - it's really a great phone in need of some freshened up hardware which she seems not to mind.
    So until HPalm can wow me, I suppose I will carry a baby slate on my hip and learn to use Android... HPalm lost a loyalist, it will take a lot to get me back but I'll continue to follow PreCentral and hope for news that a RoadRunner is spotted.

    As a Community - You Rock!!!

    Regretfully-
    4cdndctn
  2. #2  
    wow. Hopefully you will be back.

    I especially like the part where you say 'android likes to be touched'
  3. #3  
    Good luck with the EVO. Hope it works out well for you. Keep in mind that these devices are cyclic. There's always that itch to try something else, but it's as though we keep ending back where we started from. In the end, you find yourself with multiple phones on different platforms because you can't decide which you like best!
  4. Erckul's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    #4  
    thanks for the honest evaluation/comparison. I've had the EVO in the back of my mind for a while. The main hold up is no 4G in Cleveland, and hopes that Sprint gets something bigger and better than the Pre2. If nothing tempts me in the next 6 months, I will probably move on also.
  5. #5  
    same here
  6. 4cdndctn's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
       #6  
    I was in Osseo, MN this week on business where there isn't any documented 4G coverage, but there it was. Forget the icon, my 'baby slate' was faster resolving web pages than wired-to-the-wall laptop.
    My next decision may be whether or not to remain a Sprint loyalist depending on how LTE 4G rollouts go. If Samsung's Android tablet is as good as anticipated, I may not be back, but the thought of a fully functional webOS on a tablet is exciting. If Gingerbread improves its gesture functionality, it will have me convinced I made the right move.

    For those of you that are road warriors, that live by your calendar and need meeting invite functionality, it works very well on the Evo, just as good as Outlook if not slightly better than Outlook 2003.

    By the way, I spent the last hour working with a free app called Vlingo - it allows you to do a lot via voice commands - reminds me of a Ford Edge Microsoft commecial. Very cool.
  7. #7  
    I had an Evo...freaking loved the hardware. Couldn't stand Android....low and behold i'm back with a Pre that is falling apart, but I just can't seperate myself from WebOS.
  8. #8  
    The evil have its share of problems too. I've read about users complaining about the android os. Don't you know that Adobe Flash player plus many more features is coming with 2.0. I hope the evil give you some sort of comfort.

    Best of luck.
  9. 4cdndctn's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
       #9  
    They sure do all have their issues - please don't mistake my comments as claiming this OS has no issues. There were significant Android/HTC issues that were resolved in late August that would likely have made me return the Evo.
    I'm aware of what 2.0 has to offer so let me be clear that my issue is more the hardware than the OS but I appreciate the reminder as it would be easy to miss with the lack of consumer education...
  10. #10  
    I also believe palm could have made a better hardware quality for the pres. However, I believe the pre2 is a lot durable/sturdy than the current pres.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Erckul View Post
    thanks for the honest evaluation/comparison. I've had the EVO in the back of my mind for a while. The main hold up is no 4G in Cleveland, and hopes that Sprint gets something bigger and better than the Pre2. If nothing tempts me in the next 6 months, I will probably move on also.


    Man, no 4g and no Lebron, Cleveland can't catch a break, LOL.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by 4cdndctn View Post
    I have been a Palm loyalist for nearly a decade, but like many, I am not pleased with the blame game between HPalm and Sprint and I'm underwhelmed with the Pre2 and some things I saw with WebOS 2.0 first hand.
    What has kept me with the Pre since release day is its intuitive nature, this community and Homebrewing.
    What really pushed me over the edge was the speed of some apps, boot time, not being able to create meeting invites, flash, etc... Did I mention my launch day Pre was falling apart?!?! I'm one of the 3 million subscribers who has to deal with Cablevision and Fox not getting along, now I have to deal with Sprint and HPalm? No way...
    So what's at Google headquarters, A GIANT GINGERBREAD MAN!!! Way to go Google, get the community excited! HPalm gets an F for excitement.
    Making the decision on the next phone was easy thanks to the marketing people (and dollars) behind the Evo. My first day I missed gestures, really missed them. Where the Pre is highly intuitive and Palm was always good at minimizing the number of times its user must tap buttons (or swipe), the Evo likes to be touched, tapped, handled, etc...
    The Evo is really big, but it is really cool. The apps are incredible, the speed is incredible, it knows not what a hiccup is... Where the Pre would hang if an email and text happened to be recevied at the same time, the Evo just processes both in a flash while doing 10 other things. In fact it should be the Evo with Pre-like multi-tasking, something else I miss. For those of you that haven't used 4G, 3G seems like dial up compared to the wonders of 4G. NO WAY would I accept a Pre2 with 3G while 4G will be nearly celebrating its first anniversary shortly! Come on HPalm!
    As for battery life, both seem to last the same amount of time but you get more from the Evo during that time thanks to how Android handles programs in the background. I miss cards, but Gingerbread should take care of some of the current gaps between the two OS's, including multi-tasking.
    So will I keep the Evo, YES! Do I think it's the bees knees and puts the Pre to shame? NO! Am I disappointed in Palm? Yes! HTC? No! Sprint? MAYBE!
    My wife has a Pixi, and she will keep it - it's really a great phone in need of some freshened up hardware which she seems not to mind.
    So until HPalm can wow me, I suppose I will carry a baby slate on my hip and learn to use Android... HPalm lost a loyalist, it will take a lot to get me back but I'll continue to follow PreCentral and hope for news that a RoadRunner is spotted.

    As a Community - You Rock!!!

    Regretfully-
    4cdndctn
    when you want a pre ill give you one for your evo!
  13. mjrei's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #13  
    Great post. I too made the switch from a Sprint Pre to a Sprint EVO 4G about 2 months ago. I couldn't handle the TMC notices when my Pre (Minus) was overclocked to 1ghz. Even with overclocking the Sprint Pre's performance was driving me crazy.

    So, like you I made the switch.

    The switch lasted all of 1 week. Android 2.2 is such a jumble of programming. Your comment that the EVO likes to be touched is so spot on! That's because it HAS TO BE TOUCHED! Thanks to Android's OS. I think another way of saying it is that Android's Froyo 2.2 is clunky!!! It requires much touching out of necessity!

    I now have two Pre's.
    My new Pre Plus on Verizon (which is temporary until Sprint and Palm get on the same page) and my original Pre Minus on Sprint. Both phones are active and I'd honestly take either one of them over my week with the EVO 4G.

    Don't get me wrong. I liked the EVO. It was the best handheld TV, that also made phone calls, I've ever owned.

    Note: Palm got it right with webOS. Multitasking, notifications and cloud syncing have all been done brilliantly. Get some better webOS devices in our hands and there will be very little to debate.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrei View Post
    Your comment that the EVO likes to be touched is so spot on! That's because it HAS TO BE TOUCHED!
    Except that it doesn't "have to be touched" when you have things like vlingo and voice actions. When I'm in the car, I can emails and text SMS read to me and make and receive calls all without ever touching my phone. If I want to navigate somewhere, it's a single tap followed by verbal instructions.
  15. #15  
    I agree. I tried out some android phones from friends. Could not stand the crappy unintuitive nature. I first liked it, but not long. Updating the moment was a pain as it was an over the internet download and wiped the device. I also hated how it feels bloated and I've used up to 2.1. I do like the apps! That I can agree with! But the ui is hard to deal with. And messaging on the pre is by far the best. So is the ability to easily patch. I agree, give us the hardware and life will be better. If the pre 2 is good as far as os smoothness and whatnot then I expect a big turn when it's super device comes out. I'm holding out for next webos device but can totally understand why you got the evo. My pre is falling apart as well. This is why so many sprint customers are upset about no pre 2
  16. #16  
    live in mpls.. buddies have the evo 4g... CRAZY speeds..
  17. #17  
    Yeah Hardware on the Evo was nice but I couldn't stand Android and I was using 2.2. I'll keep my Pre until the real HP/Palm device is released.

    I'll look again after the Gingerbread OS is released on some newer hw. I saw many hiccups on the Evo and was able to freeze it quite a few times. Yes, multitasking was the absolute worst. Def wasn't part of the original design. Just didn't seem refined yet. Maybe the new OS will fix it.

    The Pre2 was a refresh that supposed to have been released this past summer prior to the HP/Palm acquisition (when Palm was still a solo company) so that's def not the real device. It's a minor spec bump that I'll pass on until CES in Jan.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by frepar View Post
    live in mpls.. buddies have the evo 4g... CRAZY speeds..
    yeah but the trade off is horrid battery life when using it. the evo should of shipped with a min of a 2000mAh battery. these companies will never learn.
  19. #19  
    I switched about two months ago , and honestly the Evo is just my temp phone until there is a new WebOS device released for Sprint. The hardware is pretty solid (although mine is accumulating dust under the screen) , I like the kickstand, but android really lacks polish. It seams like what took me one swipe on the pre to accomplish takes 2 swipes and 2 clicks with android. I'm a geek by trade, so I enjoy flashing and testing out new roms etc , but none of those roms can really compare to what WebOS does out of the box. The variety of Apps is cool, but I really haven't found that many useful apps that weren't available on both platforms. I do like the HTC Sense widgets ,those will be missed when I go back to WebOS , but make no mistake... I'm going back when the new hardware arrives.

    Also , 4G blows ... at least my experience in Austin has. It works best when sitting still outdoors, takes the mobile out of the mobile phone. When you begin to loose 4G signal the connection completely drops because there is no 4G to 3G handoff. The good thing about 4G is you can use data while on the phone.
    Last edited by cescoffery; 10/24/2010 at 01:08 PM.
  20. #20  
    There is 4G to 3G handoff. At least in my experience (maybe not while data is actively being moved but i have full 4G in my area).

    My 4G has faster uploads and comparable download speeds to my time warner cable.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions