Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I'll remain cautiously optimistic that EITHER HPalm furnishes better hardware or Gingerbread is a more intuitive OS. I have tweaked Froyo enough that I can live with it at this point.
    I just wish HPalm wasn't planning on dropping such a "Me too" piece of hardware that were obsolete before its GA date. Sprint doesn't seem to carry it, AT&T doesn't care, and Verizon is focused on Android publically and the iPhone privately. I foresee Blackberry losing marketshare and I don't know where this will leave webOS.
    There are 3 major computing platforms, MACOS, Windows, Linux. Why should there be more major mobile platforms???
    Last edited by 4cdndctn; 10/24/2010 at 04:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4cdndctn View Post
    There are 3 major computing platforms, iOS, Windows, Linux. Why should there be more major mobile platforms???
    Quick question: Did you mean MacOS,Windows and Linux for the computing platforms, or are you saying the mobile platforms are iOS, Windows and (all the Linux-based mobile OSes)? I'm guessing you mean MacOS but wanted to ask.
    Quick Reply to this - I am Palm loyalist, but I couldn't take the 6th phone (2 in one week). I went to the Evo, and it was cool, but when the Samsung Epic came out - this is the one to look at.

Yes, I missed my swipes, took a couple of days, but the Epic so outshines the Evo, runs on 2.1, had some issues (battery), but I am getting 1.5 days of real use, no tweaks, not flashing roms, and loving it.

The voice commands are awesome, it is not cumbersome, the screen looks like my tv, and it is fast. I always wanted the Iphone, and now would not trade for one for anything. This is better.

And the apps are awesome, and I mean useful ones, not the thousands of garbage ones out there, just like Apple. I have yet to buy one. I will, I just
    havent needed to.

What I do miss most is this forum, the developers, the help, and the contributions, not another one comes close.

So, unless Palm comes out with something better, and I loved the system, I will not step back out of loyalty. I even tried to support thru stock, lost there too. . .
    Too many reasons for me to NOT go back to Palm.

A couple in particular:

Apps. (Of course apps alone are not enough) but, when the wife and I were outside on the deck the other night she wondered what that bright star in the sky was. Open up Google Sky, point the handset at the star in question and there it is. Can't do that with the Pre.

The bar code app. I like it because I can compare item prices, use it to grab an app location, etc...

Rhapsody: Streaming music anywhere I go. Not available on the Pre.

Slingplayer: no additional explanation needed.

There's 4 apps alone that tip the scales.

Google and Sprint Nav. Both work well but sometimes I prefer Google's nav app if I'm reasonably certain I am close to my destination....which leads into the voice search app. It just plain works, period. I can call up whatever I am looking for and it finds out relative to my locality then I touch the address or business name and map to it.

I won't debate the merits of one O/S over another. We get WebOS is nicer looking and the look/feel of it is more intuitive. Simply put; it doesn't matter how polished an O/S is. If it doesn't DO what we need or want it to do either due to the applications not being available or it simply won't load it then the O/S is no good to me. It's a really nicely dressed O/S with nowhere to go.

I see all the "Pre2 will have this and have that" arguments. It's good to wish and hope for it and for the sake of the entire mobile environment I hope HP launches something worthwhile as it benefits all of us. But, the life cycle of these handsets, any handsets, is generally 1 year at best. I still have my poor little Pre. It sits at home on the shelf where I occasionally charge it up and my daughter plays the few games it has on it. Thats it. Time to move on.

I don't root, overclock or otherwise modify my handsets. They have to work for me all the time. And that IS the case with the majority of the users of these handsets.

I hope HP launches a new WebOS device but judging by the pics it looks too similar to the ancient Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd-Ball View Post

A couple in particular:

Apps. (Of course apps alone are not enough) but, when the wife and I were outside on the deck the other night she wondered what that bright star in the sky was. Open up Google Sky, point the handset at the star in question and there it is. Can't do that with the Pre.

The bar code app. I like it because I can compare item prices, use it to grab an app location, etc...

Google and Sprint Nav. Both work well but sometimes I prefer Google's nav app if I'm reasonably certain I am close to my destination....which leads into the voice search app. It just plain works, period. I can call up whatever I am looking for and it finds out relative to my locality then I touch the address or business name and map to it.

I won't debate the merits of one O/S over another. We get WebOS is nicer looking and the look/feel of it is more intuitive. Simply put; it doesn't matter how polished an O/S is. If it doesn't DO what we need or want it to do either due to the applications not being available or it simply won't load it then the O/S is no good to me. It's a really nicely dressed O/S with nowhere to go.

I see all the "Pre2 will have this and have that" arguments. It's good to wish and hope for it and for the sake of the entire mobile environment I hope HP launches something worthwhile as it benefits all of us. But, the life cycle of these handsets, any handsets, is generally 1 year at best. I still have my poor little Pre. It sits at home on the shelf where I occasionally charge it up and my daughter plays the few games it has on it. Thats it. Time to move on.

I don't root, overclock or otherwise modify my handsets. They have to work for me all the time. And that IS the case with the majority of the users of these handsets.

I hope HP launches a new WebOS device but judging by the pics it looks too similar to the ancient Pre.
    Fully agree. Nice post.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I just picked up an Evo this weekend as well.

The hardware is f'ing gorgeous, no doubt.

Android is a little jumbled, but I do like the customization and HTC does a decent job with Sense of trying to cobble together a decent UI. The very robust searching feature (including the new Voice Search introduced in 2.2) does a GREAT job of making everything easier for me. I f'ing LOVE that I can bark navigation instructions to it while driving and it has VERY good voice recognition. Google Nav is also really, really nice. Actually a very sexy display (obviously hardware accelerated) and the Layers features with it are very useful.

Otherwise, I don't miss WebOS too much. I do miss the cards features but at least with 2.2 Android does a good job of managing the application memory - I've had mine up and running for 72 hours without any kind of "task killing" and it's still running great.

Battery life on the Pre is a total joke too. I can easily get a day of moderate to heavy use on the EVO and that's with a bunch of weather/facebook/gmail push/news syncing in the background that I have yet to turn off.
    Gaidal...similar feelings. WebOS is no doubt more "slick"....but the functionality of the Evo just trumps the Pre right now.

Without a question. Like you said, i miss cards a bit and the webos notification and the overall "slicknes" of it....but android just lets me get more things done faster.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd-Ball View Post

A couple in particular:

I just played with a evo again and realized that when I browsed the next, I opened up a couple tabs, all those tabs where kept within a box iphone style.

Also with modding, I agree, I just want something that works no question asked, I don't want to mod, hack or add on.
    Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    I just played with a evo again and realized that when I browsed the next, I opened up a couple tabs, all those tabs where kept within a box iphone style.

Also with modding, I agree, I just want something that works no question asked, I don't want to mod, hack or add on.

What app or apps were you playing with that had them in tabs?

So I am clear, I like the whole idea of modding things, its what I do to other things in my life but not this handset. Maybe one day
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Itching Thumbs has the card functionality I wanted, at least until Gingerbread makes of native. It is humorous how all mobile OS's believe they have the only true multi taking functionally.

Well, I was disappointed yesterday to learn that forwarded text, which Android calls 'Quoted text', cannot be edited; only viable or hidden. Boooo I say.

I am appreciating the Evos hardware more everyday but watching my wide swipe through unwanted email instead of clicking multiple times had me a little jealous.
    Itching Thumbs has the card functionality I wanted, at least until Gingerbread makes of native. It is humorous how all mobile OS's believe they have the only true multi taking functionally.

Well, I was disappointed yesterday to learn that forwarded text, which Android calls 'Quoted text', cannot be edited; only viable or hidden. Boooo I say.

I am appreciating the Evos hardware more everyday but watching my wide swipe through unwanted email instead of clicking multiple times had me a little jealous.
    Checking boxes to delete batches of emails > swiping one email at ta tie. Always and forever.

Unless you are using the stock HTC email app. If you are, download K-9. It has the checkboxes.

Also i don't use the stock SMS app, but i opened it up and could easily forward a Text and edit if i'd like...see below:

You just long press whatever message and it gives you the option to forward text.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Thanks for checking on these items Brain. I'll try K9. The text edit issue seems to be with email only, not SMS.
    ahh gotcha. Yeah i'm a fan of K-9. Its based on the default android email app so it looks similar but added a lot of features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Checking boxes to delete batches of emails > swiping one email at ta tie. Always and forever.

Unless you are using the stock HTC email app. If you are, download K-9. It has the checkboxes.
    Just an FYI: The stock HTC email app allows for multi-delete as well. Menu -> Delete -> Check all the messages you want -> Delete

It's less intuitive than having the check-boxes always available (and too many steps for one or two emails), but it's there.

Swiping to delete is better for one or two emails. Multi-deleting is much more efficient for batches. Since I tend to delete in batches, swiping was just painful for me. I would do a left and right series of swipes (swipe left on one email followed by swiping right on another and keep repeating) to speed things up on my Pre. The issue is that you can only do that for a few emails before you have to wait for it to complete the processes and refresh the list. When I have many emails I need to burn through quickly, that process just broke down and left me frustrated. It would be nice if all OSes offered "both" options so I can be efficient no matter how many emails i'm deleting.
    The Pre2 was a refresh that supposed to have been released this past summer prior to the HP/Palm acquisition (when Palm was still a solo company) so that's def not the real device. It's a minor spec bump that I'll pass on until CES in Jan. [/QUOTE]

^^Spot on
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Just an FYI: The stock HTC email app allows for multi-delete as well. Menu -> Delete -> Check all the messages you want -> Delete

It's less intuitive than having the check-boxes always available (and too many steps for one or two emails), but it's there.

Swiping to delete is better for one or two emails. Multi-deleting is much more efficient for batches. Since I tend to delete in batches, swiping was just painful for me. I would do a left and right series of swipes (swipe left on one email followed by swiping right on another and keep repeating) to speed things up on my Pre. The issue is that you can only do that for a few emails before you have to wait for it to complete the processes and refresh the list. When I have many emails I need to burn through quickly, that process just broke down and left me frustrated. It would be nice if all OSes offered "both" options so I can be efficient no matter how many emails i'm deleting.
    Oh yeah...i remember that. Yeah i preferred the boxes just there....but there is a multi-delete option.

To be honest, my junk mail goes to my AOL account so that's what i use with K-9....but i have been getting more junk mail that i turned push email off and just poll the server when i have time to go through it.

Gmail app works much better in general. What NEEDS to happen though, is pinch to zoom and format to screen emails. Loved that on the Pre, annoying its not on android.
    If you own an Android phone, this is easy...

From the the Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks, Messaging section:

Forward
    To forward a message, long-press the message and Tap Forward. Enter the recipient, add your note and edit the content as needed, and tap the Send icon.
    Also check out popular free messaging apps like HandCent SMS and ChompSMS. Palm only allows one messaging app, theirs. Android is open to allow hundreds of different messaging, email, calendar, and music apps. Just get the one that fits you.

I use the stock Android messaging app because all the patches that I have put on my Pre are basic features in Android. See webOS Patches that Are Standard Android Features. Google listened.

If you own an Android phone, this is easy...

From the Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks, Email section.

Delete
    - • To delete one email, tap the email then tap Menu > Delete -or- • Long-press the email listing then tap delete
    - • To delete multiple emails in a folder tap Menu > Delete > Check the emails > Delete
    - • To delete all emails in a folder tap Menu > Delete > Menu > Mark All > Delete
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 10/28/2010 at 11:20 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12