Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Meh, over-clocking can only bring such an improvement.

As even the commenters say, at "2ghz" or "3ghz" or whatever the video is shot at...it's still laggy.

I get less lag on my Evo running at 1152 mhz [that's an overclocking of 154mhz and an increase in mflops of like 3, MAYBE]
    :/......... I dunno.....
    Hey, but we still don't know if the Pre 2 comes with an OMAP3630 processor, or did I miss something?
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    you missed something
    The claims by these developers of overclocking to 2ghz+ has been updated and shown to be false...never happened...
    Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    The claims by these developers of overclocking to 2ghz+ has been updated and shown to be false...never happened...
    Keep reading:
    Quote Originally Posted by BGR
    UPDATE 3: Matt hit us up again with another, very not fake, video of his DROID 2 running at 3.0GHz.
    Or just do it yourself: Link
  7.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Meh, over-clocking can only bring such an improvement.

As even the commenters say, at "2ghz" or "3ghz" or whatever the video is shot at...it's still laggy.

I get less lag on my Evo running at 1152 mhz [that's an overclocking of 154mhz and an increase in mflops of like 3, MAYBE]

Commenters know EVERYTHING!
    "Source code or it didn't happen."

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    I agree and you have to inherently distrust someone who is listens to Linkin Park.
    So I just spoke to the guy in IRC.

The source for the overclocking module they are using is at milestone-overclock - Project Hosting on Google Code and the particular settings he is using is at #1242050 - Pastie

His twitter feed is at Twitter

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    So I just spoke to the guy in IRC.

The source for the overclocking module they are using is at milestone-overclock - Project Hosting on Google Code and the particular settings he is using is at #1242050 - Pastie

His twitter feed is at Twitter

-- Rod
    Assuming the same processor lands in the Pre 2, how easily translated is this code? Is it just a matter of adding code to make it abide by the seven principles?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Assuming the same processor lands in the Pre 2, how easily translated is this code? Is it just a matter of adding code to make it abide by the seven principles?
    It all depends what is in the kernel source code for the Pre 2 that appears on Welcome to opensource.palm.com - Palm ...

-- Rod
    Without source or linpack numbers posted, I'm skeptical.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Commenters know EVERYTHING!
    ??

Commentors are pointing out what you can clearly see which is that theirs lag with this "overclock" or what have you.

Lag that doesn't even happen on my Evo.
    BTW, there is nothing new in the Droid X overclocking techniques compared to what we do now on the OMAP3430 in the Pre.

So either they are simply seeing a higher reported clock freq with no corresponding real performance increase (something we have seen previously in some experiments with extreme overclocking on the Pre and Pixi), or alternatively if they do show some real benchmarks with significant real performance improvements then we have some good things to look forward to with the Pre 2 if it indeed does have the same processor.

We also need to see what changes Palm has made in the kernel for webOS 2.0 - hopefully they have dynamic voltage and frequency scaling working now.

Only time will tell ...

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/23/2010 at 02:46 AM.
    question: can you overclock chips to whatever speeds you want? I'm thinkin you can, it's just if you made the pre go to 3 ghz it would melt. Or am I mistaken? I'm a noob but I'm very curious as to why/how things are done.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese3915 View Post
    question: can you overclock chips to whatever speeds you want? I'm thinkin you can, it's just if you made the pre go to 3 ghz it would melt. Or am I mistaken? I'm a noob but I'm very curious as to why/how things are done.
    There is a point where the maximum delay path along a combinatorial logic circuit exceeds the clock period of the two storage elements at the ends of that path. At that point, logic errors ensue, and the device becomes erratic or completely inoperable.

-- Rod
    bring the liquid cooling, lets get this thing up to 5 ghz xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Edensuko View Post
    bring the liquid cooling, lets get this thing up to 5 ghz xD
    While that may be a cool experiment the actual gain of OCing to 5 ghz is unlikely to be worth it.

Would love to see it though :P
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast