Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I don't know about failure...I'd rather spend $800 bones on a full featured tablet running Windows 7, has direct output via a docking station to my big screen TV w/full HD support, and is not hampered by what Apple thinks we should and should not have on a tablet.

iPad apps are not the be all end all for tablets and these devices should provide more then just IOS and open the door to Mac OSx completely so I can have some true production from these devices. Till then iPads are just overpriced toys designed specifically for Apple Ecosystem.

Speaking of Apple Ecosystem (70/30 split) from their early week announcement, get ready for it on Laptop and Desktop computers falling into the same interface...good for Apple and sucks for the developer.

Sorry for the segway, but I also want one of these HP Slate devices. Personally, for me it needs to have instant on Palm webOS access and then maybe Windows 7 in the background on full desktop support w/webOS dock access on top of everything inside this interface.

Now that would be cool!!! Sorli...
    Last edited by sorli; 10/22/2010 at 09:27 AM.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    these devices should provide more then just IOS and open the door to Mac OSx completely so I can have some true production from these devices.
    I could flood this thread with links to examples of individuals and organizations getting some "true production" out of these things. Instead, I will just ask, what true production did you have in mind?
    Depending on the CPU's power (not sure how good the 1.86GHz Atom Z540 is), this device could replace a business laptop with the right accessories - like a good dock. Hopefully the RAM is expandable past 2GB - Windows 7 starts wheezing at 2GB with more than a couple of programs open.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The difference between the HP Slate and the iPad is that while there are plenty of people here that say things like "this could be useful" or "if I were to buy something like this..." or "businesses like healthcare would be interested in this", nobody, yet, has said that they are going to line up at the HP store to get one.

There are tons of people on this forum who have iPads, though. I'm waiting for the first person to say that they preordered the Slate or will definitely be buying one. After all, this is ultimately an HP subsidiary fan site. Who's laying down cash for this? Anyone?
    Doubtful, but certainly a WebOS tablet would produce quite a few preorders here. Not sure where else.

There's not even an HP store - at least not a brick and mortar one. They're going to have to redefine their retail presence, offer an ecosystem (major ondevice book store, media hub like Samsung or iTunes, etc.), and hit several price points. Should be interesting to see in January.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    They're going to have to redefine their retail presence, offer an ecosystem (major ondevice book store, media hub like Samsung or iTunes, etc.)
    This would make so much more sense in the context of Touch Smart, the skin HP makes for their touch screen, Window, desktops. No! They wanted a "pure" Windows experience. Well, a pure Windows experience requires a mouse and keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    This would make so much more sense in the context of Touch Smart, the skin HP makes for their touch screen, Window, desktops. No! They wanted a "pure" Windows experience. Well, a pure Windows experience requires a mouse and keyboard.
    HP has a quite a few of those skins. There was a custom HP-skinned Linux distro they used to put on their netbooks. Then, there's the instant on OS they got when they bought Voodoo. Then, there's TouchSmart. Now, WebOS.

I wonder if the tablet version of WebOS will get changed to match the HP fonts and aesthetics of these previous skins.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Here's how we fix this: Install a WebOS emulator, android emulator, iphone emulator, and windows phone 7 emulator all side by side and have the ultimate tablet device. :P

- Phil -
    People who are not convinced that this is better than iPAD need to look at the following video.

iPAD is sold as a media consumption device but it does not support flash, has really miniscule amount of ram (256 MB) which causes safari to crash all the time (I should know I own one). Does not support a lot of apps especialy productivity related apps. iPAd also does not have a very good keyboard and no expansion slots. Lets compare Slate 500 to ipad

Processor: Atom z550 (1.86 Gz vs 1GHz Arm Cortex A8

Memory: 2 GB Vs 256 Mb

Storage: 64 GB + sd card slot + usb port Vs 16, 32 or 64 GB versions with no expandability

Apps: hundreds of thousand of apps both free or paid available Vs 20,000 ipad apps majority of which are games and offer less functionality than their Desktop OS counterparts

Media Consumption Device: Netflix, Hulu,Full web + download, Flash, all codecs are supported VS specific apps that limit what you can do and may require fee e.g. Hulu plus, no flash that limits majority of media sites on the web requires specific codecs

Expansion slots/Options: SD card, usb, hdmi (on the dock) Vs just an iphone connector Everything costs EXTRA

Camera: front facing and rear facing Vs nothing

Dock: For those times that you need a full keyboard a dock with HDMI out and 2 extra usb orts is INCLUDED along with a case.

Pen Input: Virtual keyboards on such a big device are really bad plain and simple a pen is needed for one hand operation and that is included with slate 500

Newspaper/Journals: Zinio on desktop offers more Journals than Zinio on ipad they are not the same Also, slate 500 will support Adobe Air this is still up in the air for iPAD.

Multitasking: True Multitasking vs pseudo multitasking that might be even more limited due to ipad's low memory

Size/Weight: 8.9" 1.5 lbs Vs 9.7" 1.5 Lbs (for wifi version)

Resolution: 1024x600 Vs 1024x768

Battery Life: One are where ipad excels, Slate 500 is rated at ~5 HR Vs 10 Hr battery for ipad, standby times and usage are also better for ipad

Performance: Contrary to poplar belief a netbook with 1.66 GHz will do most common tasks without any problems. Atom has trouble playing 720p or above media files or flash but this device has broadcom crystal HD accelerator to overcome that issue and the processor is also faster. iPAD is fast for most tasks but it is not lightning fast as most people believe. If a windows machine did one thing at a time it would also be lightning fast.

With HP slate you really have no limitation other than those imposed by 2 GB of memory or 1.866 GHz processor but if you needed more memory or power you would not be using a slate device anyway.

I think the price point is completely valid as it is much cheaper than an equally configured iPAD.

I am sure I have still missed out a bunch of features/advantages that Slate 500 has over ipad but you get my point.
    Last edited by sapient2k7; 10/22/2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling
  9.    #29  
    This is a geek vs. consumer debate. The geek can't take his eyes off those beautiful specs. He dreams of all the things that are impractical, but theoretically possible with the Slate running Windows. Never mind the fact that doing any of those things with that OS in that formfactor is all but impossible. Good luck with your big spreadsheets and photoshop projects.

They look at the iPad and see only a toy. It couldn't possibly do anything useful. They convince themselves of that while the rest of the world is busy doing more creative and useful things on their iPads than was ever done on any other tablet.

By all means, don't take your eyes off those beautiful specs.
    Even for spec hounds who correctly argue that the Galaxy tab or Slate are priced rather competitively against iPads with the same specs, you have to realize that Apple made a brilliant decision to have tiers of iPads with the bottom price point being $500.

What that means is that even the competitors spec'd like the 64GB 3G version will be compared in price to the 16GB WiFi version in a consumer's mind...and they will lose. $500/no contract/readily available at brick and mortar shops to play with is the bar for the mainstream consumer. Even if these other tablets are theoretically or technically more capable, they won't have an impact if they cannot match that bar Apple has set.

And no one seems to be able to churn out a tablet under those conditions that performs or is anywhere near as user-friendly as the iPad. This is why Apple keeps winning and will continue to. And I don't particularly care for the product, but the truth is the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    This is a geek vs. consumer debate. The geek can't take his eyes off those beautiful specs. He dreams of all the things that are impractical, but theoretically possible with the Slate running Windows. Never mind the fact that doing any of those things with that OS in that formfactor is all but impossible. Good luck with your big spreadsheets and photoshop projects.

They look at the iPad and see only a toy. It couldn't possibly do anything useful. They convince themselves of that while the rest of the world is busy doing more creative and useful things on their iPads than was ever done on any other tablet.

By all means, don't take your eyes off those beautiful specs.
    I have used both I bought an ipad on launch day as well. I am disappointed with it AFTER using it. Slate 500 is a netbook device but it is much better than an ipad in actual use a netbook was more useful than my ipad. iPad is a media consumption device and it does not do a great job of that even (because of limited codec support and no flash support).
    Just an observation from my company... the main part of our company is a large engineering firm. Our IT guy has been waiting (and is excited) for this to finally hit the market. The iPad will never be used here because we need an enterprise level device for these guys to tie into our system. This HP is actually at a price point where our IT guys expected it to hit, has the features they need (especially the dual cameras for meetings and taking pictures of field visits). The item they are most excited about is the handwriting recognition software for note taking (which will allow our field guys to write notes with the active pen and have them captured and converted to text. Awesome.

This device isn't designed for general users, but for enterprise customers like our firm. The price point hits exactly where we expected and the IT guys are searching right now for a site to go live to put an order in. There will be other levels of Slate and PalmPad devices... but enterprise is huge money for HP - not only because corporations buy a ton devices, but also because it leads into personal computing (people are more likely to buy a certain brand of computer if they are used to it at the office).

In the mean time... as soon as these go on sale, we are in for several for our field guys!
    Put "if you need more memory, you wouldn't be using a slate" aside and tell me why, if they can make a 1TB portable HD the size of a vcr tape(or smaller), why they couldn't/ wouldn't put something like that in a slate? Unless of course they plan on next year coming out with the 128 followed by the 256 etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    People who are not convinced that this is better than iPAD need to look at the following video.

iPAD is sold as a media consumption device but it does not support flash, has really miniscule amount of ram (256 MB) which causes safari to crash all the time (I should know I own one). Does not support a lot of apps especialy productivity related apps. iPAd also does not have a very good keyboard and no expansion slots. Lets compare Slate 500 to ipad

Processor: Atom z550 (1.86 Gz vs 1GHz Arm Cortex A8

Memory: 2 GB Vs 256 Mb

Storage: 64 GB + sd card slot + usb port Vs 16, 32 or 64 GB versions with no expandability

Apps: hundreds of thousand of apps both free or paid available Vs 20,000 ipad apps majority of which are games and offer less functionality than their Desktop OS counterparts

Media Consumption Device: Netflix, Hulu,Full web + download, Flash, all codecs are supported VS specific apps that limit what you can do and may require fee e.g. Hulu plus, no flash that limits majority of media sites on the web requires specific codecs

Expansion slots/Options: SD card, usb, hdmi (on the dock) Vs just an iphone connector Everything costs EXTRA

Camera: front facing and rear facing Vs nothing

Dock: For those times that you need a full keyboard a dock with HDMI out and 2 extra usb orts is INCLUDED along with a case.

Pen Input: Virtual keyboards on such a big device are really bad plain and simple a pen is needed for one hand operation and that is included with slate 500

Newspaper/Journals: Zinio on desktop offers more Journals than Zinio on ipad they are not the same Also, slate 500 will support Adobe Air this is still up in the air for iPAD.

Multitasking: True Multitasking vs pseudo multitasking that might be even more limited due to ipad's low memory

Size/Weight: 8.9" 1.5 lbs Vs 9.7" 1.5 Lbs (for wifi version)

Resolution: 1024x600 Vs 1024x768

Battery Life: One are where ipad excels, Slate 500 is rated at ~5 HR Vs 10 Hr battery for ipad, standby times and usage are also better for ipad

Performance: Contrary to poplar belief a netbook with 1.66 GHz will do most common tasks without any problems. Atom has trouble playing 720p or above media files or flash but this device has broadcom crystal HD accelerator to overcome that issue and the processor is also faster. iPAD is fast for most tasks but it is not lightning fast as most people believe. If a windows machine did one thing at a time it would also be lightning fast.

With HP slate you really have no limitation other than those imposed by 2 GB of memory or 1.866 GHz processor but if you needed more memory or power you would not be using a slate device anyway.

I think the price point is completely valid as it is much cheaper than an equally configured iPAD.

I am sure I have still missed out a bunch of features/advantages that Slate 500 has over ipad but you get my point.
    so will you be buying the HP Slate? If not all the specs you listed above don't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Put "if you need more memory, you wouldn't be using a slate" aside and tell me why, if they can make a 1TB portable HD the size of a vcr tape(or smaller), why they couldn't/ wouldn't put something like that in a slate? Unless of course they plan on next year coming out with the 128 followed by the 256 etc...
    A 2.5" laptop hd gets hot, requires more power and is noisier and slower than Ssd however it is much cheaper. If a device uses SSD it does not have to worrY about movement of the device either since there are no moving parts in SSD.

It is purely economics. they can come up with a 256 GB, all SSD slate which will be too expensive to make and thus out of the reach of most consumers. By next year prices of SSD will have gone down and a 256GB version will probably be the same price as a 64GB version today making it easier to transition to a newer better device. This is apple's model except Apple typically has very high margins.
    ok sort of answers my question... What you're saying is that the SSD isn't the typical harddrive, but some newer technology?
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    so will you be buying the HP Slate? If not all the specs you listed above don't matter.
    I thought the question was that this device is too expensive and I believe I showed that it is not. The question of whether I will buy it does not come into the facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    [..]we need an enterprise level device for these guys to tie into our system[...]
    This ^^^ is what I was trying to get dandbj13 to see. This is what I believe HP is banking on. While I like the iPad personally (not due to actual long-term use by the way, so the jury is still out), there is a major difference between thinking consumer product vs enterprise product.

If I get a product that can't tie into my work systems, it's no big deal. If an enterprise gets a product for possibly thousands of employees that can't tie into existing systems...you get the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    ok sort of answers my question... What you're saying is that the SSD isn't the typical harddrive, but some newer technology?
    Solid state device or SSD is flash technology like your thumb drive. It is much faster than your typical hard drive and is getting better. There have been experiments with hybrid flash+regular hard drives that have yielded better results but so far not gained momentum. Vista supported a feature called readyboost that utilized a separate usb disk to speed up some tasks. It was not that successful as MS could not guarantee that it would be available with every device and thus could not optimize for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    my core i3, 4gb ram HP tm2 does the same thing and more for the same $799.

but im excited about a webos tablet
    I just ordered a TM2t, and I'm wondering if I should tell HP I want the Slate instead. What do you think?

The main reason I bought the TM2 is because I need a laptop (no portable computing for me right now), and I want to have a tablet with pen input (I don't understand how this isn't a requirement for Win7 tablets...). This setup with OneNote2010 will be a huge bag of win for me.

Anybody know anything about the battery life?
    "...human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together! MASS HYSTERIA!"

-Ghostbusters
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast