Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1.    #1  
    Windows Phone 7 review -- Engadget


    As expected, its first gen, but sounds like its one of the best first gen mobile products.


    If they can take care of 3rd party multi-tasking and update their browser a bit it'll def. be a worthy alternative for some people (not counting apps at the moment).
  2. #2  
    Not a bad start, but there must be a lot more progress in terms of multitasking (that lock screen/reload thing sounds dreadful) and load times before I could consider it. Not that I would leave my Epic for the tinier, crappier-screened HTC Pro 7 when it comes to Sprint anyway.
  3. #3  
    you should read some other reviews engadgets is VERY biased but most say that WP7 is a mobile competetor and could be the best with some updates, but for now it has catching up to do all I know is that I'm getting one lol
  4. #4  
    Did you read the same review I did? The review was mostly negative.

    The inability for the OS not to save the program state is crazy. Having to wait for an app to load from scratch each time you go back to it makes the OS almost unusable.

    In addition, no flash OR html5 support? How are you suppose to view videos on the web?
    Last edited by mobileman; 10/21/2010 at 12:21 PM.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Did you read the same review I did? The review was mostly negative.

    The inability for the OS not to save the program state is crazy. Having to wait for an app to load from scratch each time you go back to it makes the OS almost unusable.

    In addition, no flash OR html5 support? How are you suppose to view videos on the web?

    I....gotta agree. While I appreciate the polish and UI fluency, these are some gaping potholes MS has to fill in to compete with Android or iPhone.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    In addition, no flash OR html5 support? How are you suppose to view videos on the web?
    Uh, the same way you do now with WebOS and iOS?
    : (){:|:&};:
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Uh, the same way you do now with WebOS and iOS?
    um, no. Every video I watch on either my iPhone or iPad from a website is embedded video using HTML5.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    the inability for the OS not to save the program state is crazy.
    just wanted to mention the double negative, "the inabilty" "not to save"..
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    just wanted to mention the double negative, "the inabilty" "not to save"..
    noted thanks. However, your statement is not entirely not untrue.
    Last edited by mobileman; 10/21/2010 at 01:06 PM.
  10. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #10  
    I have to agree with Engadget here...no saved state on 3rd party apps is just ridiculous. Some the 3rd party apps are amazing looking and the OS shows promise but I think Microsoft pulled a Palm and rushed out an unfinished product here.
  11. tirk's Avatar
    Posts
    810 Posts
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    ...but I think Microsoft pulled a Palm and rushed out an unfinished product here.
    Microsoft products are never usable until release 3.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    I have to agree with Engadget here...no saved state on 3rd party apps is just ridiculous. Some the 3rd party apps are amazing looking and the OS shows promise but I think Microsoft pulled a Palm and rushed out an unfinished product here.
    It's really starting to look like Microsoft's using this GSM-only launch window as an open beta, isn't it?
  13. EMPOLLA's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    #13  
    -there are saved states on most the apps you just have to use the back button instead of going to the home screen and relaunching the app.

    -i said most apps because yes some don't have it. It's not the os fault that would be the developers fault because they have to code it into their apps.

    -read engadgets and walts review then compare to everyone else's review on the web. There is a notable difference.

    -then see what site we're on and why only engadgets review is up here.

    -if you're not a <<deleted by mod>> it's easy enough to connect dots.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 10/23/2010 at 06:28 AM. Reason: language
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by EMPOLLA View Post
    -
    -read engadgets and walts review then compare to everyone else's review on the web. There is a notable difference.
    Anandtech's is incredibly comprehensive and generally very positive.

    The Windows Phone 7 Review - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
  15.    #15  
    Well the review sites with postivies reviwes are because they know these things will be fixed with software....and it does't make then unusable for all.

    Think of it this way, again that huge group of people on flip or feature phones. Are you going to tell me they wouldn't be happy with windows phone 7 as is?

    They would be happy with any device they upgraded to really....but again, as long as MS hustles to improve some of the core stuff, a year from now we can have a strong competitor back in this race.
  16. xHunt3r's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    I think Microsoft pulled a Palm and rushed out an unfinished product here.
    I don't think Microsoft has ever release a first iteration "finished product." It's been standard practice for a long while to not buy the first one or two verison of a Microsoft product....
  17.    #17  
    I dont' think anybody release a feature complete product first go around.

    Palm didnt.
    Apple didn't (despite its popularity)
    Google didn't

    The original iphone was borderline a feature phone with a great browser.
  18. #18  
    I'm still waiting for a anybody to give me 1 reason to switch to a Windows 7 device if you have a WebOS, Android, or iOS device (besides Xbox integration).
  19.    #19  
    Why would you say "besides" when thats a huge reason as well?


    And is the reason to convince you? Cause most people probably aren't trying to convince people to buy something they don't want.

    But anyway, why would i? I wouldn't NOW...but in the future if they fix some of the negatives easily because of Zune and Xbox. Also, performance seems consistent and smooth.
  20. EMPOLLA's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I'm still waiting for a anybody to give me 1 reason to switch to a Windows 7 device if you have a WebOS, Android, or iOS device (besides Xbox integration).
    why would i go to webos besides multitasking?
    Why would I buy that HDTV besides the HD?
    Why would I get that muscle car besides the horsepower?

    Do you see the logic?
    I hope so.
    Questions like that are dumb. Don't do it to yourself.

    Why do you have a smartphone when you can't read 1 of 10 reviews and figure it out for yourself? Maybe you're not smart enough for a smart phone.

    Based on your question I recommend you getting yourself a feature phone. Then no one will have to tell you anything.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions