Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    All,

This from the Wall St Journal. Summary, not as good as other phones already on the market, but should be well liked by Xbox gamers.

A Review of Microsoft's New Windows Phone 7 - WSJ.com
    Again, besides possibly Xbox live integration, why would anybody choose a windows 7 phone over an Android, or iPhone? I just don't see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Again, besides possibly Xbox live integration, why would anybody choose a windows 7 phone over an Android, or iPhone? I just don't see it.
    Well being all around tech lover. I find WP7 interesting and will definitely take a look at it. I kind of like the design with the simple colors and large squares. Whether it works in real life or not we will have to see. But definitely interesting and I think Microsoft successfully did something totally different then they have done in the past and what the competition is doing as well. Probably won't be as good as WebOS though. Love me some cards.
    Because they like it better? A new mobile platform these days will struggle to make a splash, but MS is poised to constantly improve the OS to catch it up to a mature android device and iPhone 4.

Also, Xbox AND Zune users will love it if just for those features.

My main concerns:
    No 3rd party multi-tasking
    Browser seems early still not performance wise, but feature wise
    No universal search (you can search in separate apps).

But performance of the OS looks just as good as the iphone in terms of speed and scrolling so thats a great base to start at. Android and WebOS had to play catch up to get their response times better...and even then, neither are as smooth as windows phone7 or iPhone. (they aren't bad, but you can easily tell the difference).

Give it a year and i think we'll see this OS really starting to stand out.
    I think its pretty solid for basically a 1.0 product (but definitely inferior right now to the competition). I definitely see more potential here than on android.
    The only thing that really peaks my interest is the fact that they have an complete MS office suite. I know other solutions are coming for basic word processing and excell, but what about OneNote. I love that program and use it all the time, however it would be that much better if we could get it working on WebOS!

Another thing I thought of while reading this article, and maybe its been though of before.. but what if from our lock screen we had ways to do quick launch. For instance, if you move the lock ball to the top right corner it will quickly launch the camera. What do you guys think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    but MS is poised to constantly improve the OS to catch it up to a mature android device and iPhone 4.
    Their past track record says different. Now they are saying the carriers will need to approve OS updates. That's a major issue.
    Your answer is right here:

http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...ile-6-1-a.html

For people who actually use their smartphone as a business device, WinMo makes a pretty compelling choice. Historically they have been the least sexy of the smartphone OS's, but WP7 is changing that.

I am absolutely certain there will be a lot of former WinMo users who jumped to Android or iOS or WebOS who will eventually make their way back to MS when WP7 is released so that they can regain some of the functionality they lost when they left WinMo.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhahn2001 View Post
    what if from our lock screen we had ways to do quick launch. For instance, if you move the lock ball to the top right corner it will quickly launch the camera. What do you guys think?
    love it. Can this be done with a patch?
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    If I had an XBox I'd probably grab a phone with this OS. But because I don't (I have a PS3) it just doesn't appeal to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post

For people who actually use their smartphone as a business device, WinMo makes a pretty compelling choice. Historically they have been the least sexy of the smartphone OS's, but WP7 is changing that.

I am absolutely certain there will be a lot of former WinMo users who jumped to Android or iOS or WebOS who will eventually make their way back to MS when WP7 is released so that they can regain some of the functionality they lost when they left WinMo.
    And what functionality are you referring to?
    Their past track record says different. Now they are saying the carriers will need to approve OS updates. That's a major issue.
    God, it's frustrating to see so much control returning to the carriers. Especially since Apple was off to such a good start in changing the entire model of the industry.
    And what functionality are you referring to?
    Read the thread I linked to.

Windows Mobile was constantly improved...I think people forget just how many people were using windows mobile in the beginning of this decade.

Its just the architecture wasn't great to begin with, but they were improving the core system each iteration to the best that that thing could be improved.

Going off of their last Zune refresh i have faith. People like to dump on Microsoft but The improvements in windows 7 and xbox to xbox360 (at least software wise) has me a fan of their latest stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Windows Mobile was constantly improved...I think people forget just how many people were using windows mobile in the beginning of this decade.

Its just the architecture wasn't great to begin with, but they were improving the core system each iteration to the best that that thing could be improved.

Going off of their last Zune refresh i have faith. People like to dump on Microsoft but The improvements in windows 7 and xbox to xbox360 (at least software wise) has me a fan of their latest stuff.
    Maybe Microsoft made lots of improvements to Win Mobile, but very few of these improvements actually made it to the end user. Carrier approval was probably most likely to blame.
    Maybe Microsoft made lots of improvements to Win Mobile, but very few of these improvements actually made it to the end user. Carrier approval was probably most likely to blame.
    Huh? Carrier approval had nothing to do with it. Updates for my Motorola Q, for example, were downloaded and installed directly from Motorola. The carrier was not involved in any way. Most manufacturers didn't bother offering new versions of WinMo for older phones, but I can't blame them for that. Updates within the current version (6.0 to 6.1 to 6.5 for example) weren't uncommon but version changes (from WM5 to WM6 for example) were simply too complex for most manufacturers to want to invest that kind of time rolling out an update that wouldn't make them any more money.

WP7 has very little in common with WM6.1. Users who jumped to Android or iOS won't be gaining much (if any) WM6.1 functionality by switching to WP7.
    I read part of it, but still don't see your point. Maybe you should explain.
    to me windows 7 will still take alot from android but not iphone. What windows 7 brings is a different OS, but for the most part alot of people pick up android devices (and Ill say it again) is because they look nice. Now Windows 7 device look nice as well, and more people know about windows then they do android. Remeber there are 78% of people in the US that dont have smartphones, but I bet alot of them have a windows computer. The thing that really will be lacking initally is applications, thats it other then that, to me windows 7 is a better OS then Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    to me windows 7 will still take alot from android but not iphone. What windows 7 brings is a different OS, but for the most part alot of people pick up android devices (and Ill say it again) is because they look nice. Now Windows 7 device look nice as well, and more people know about windows then they do android. Remeber there are 78% of people in the US that dont have smartphones, but I bet alot of them have a windows computer. The thing that really will be lacking initally is applications, thats it other then that, to me windows 7 is a better OS then Android.
    Again WP7 is a new OS with a new UI. Having a windows computer is not goin to make it seem familiar.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast