Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was frustrated by the sluggishness of the HP iPAQ Windows Mobile 6.1 PDA that I had. So I got a Palm Pre anticipating a much better experience. It is certainly not sluggish, and it is great for phone calls and all the personal multi-media, apps, GPS, connectivity kind of things. But what I was really surprised at was the huge list of functionality that is missing for what I use the phone the most for – related to my work. It is pathetic even when compared to the Windows Mobile 6.1 OS which is now ancient. Maybe someone can tell me that some of these things can really be done and that I just don’t know how.
    1. Cannot synchronize Outlook Notes with Memos without expensive 3rd party applications – one requires me to first synchronize my corporate Outlook Exchange with Google, and the other requires my laptop to be available in order to synchronize mail while stripping it off all protection such as firewalls or security software (that is, it does not provide me real time synchronization when I really need it – when I don’t have access to my laptop)
    2. No spell checker
    3. No smart auto-suggest so I can save myself some typing on the tiny keyboard
    4. No cursor movement – you have to use your finger to get the cursor in the correct position for editing. Of course, I can never get it to the right spot, so I need to use backspace and retype stuff.
    5. Cannot move or copy email ids from To list to CC list, or to use for another email
    6. Cannot select text from a message in my inbox to copy elsewhere
    7. Puts a line break instead of a paragraph break on a carriage return while editing
    8. While replying to a message and editing the original message with responses it does not tag or change the font of the responses
    9. Signature cannot be restricted to new Sent messages; it gets added even when responding to or forwarding the message
    10. Font on sent messages is Times Ten on the first line or so, and different for the rest of the message – this just seems like a bug
    11. On deleting a message when reviewing it, it should go to the next one, instead of back to the Inbox
    12. Not having a save option is really disconcerting. This means I cannot just abandon all the changes I made since my last save with no option to undo. Also, in case of a failure what is saved? If I keep a memo open for example, after adding text, is that text safe? Immediately as I type?
    13. In Tasks, Calendar, and Contacts cannot set all the attributes as one can in Windows Mobile Outlook – e.g. Time and category in Task. There is a long list of these attributes in Tasks, Contacts, Calendar that Windows Mobile allows you to set.
    14. Including email ids that are only in the corporate Exchange directory takes ages; plus it does not save searches you did before so you can quickly search the same name again
    15. Can't get to the company phone directory (Outlook Exchange) in order to get phone number and address information for a colleague I need to contact
    16. Updating an appointment on the Palm did not update it in Outlook
    17. If I change the time of an appointment it does not send updates to attendees
    18. No ability to forward or reply to calendar appointments – I use this to inform attendees before a meeting about something or I use it to follow up on action items – that way the context is there, as well as all the relevant people I need to send the message to
    19. Does not have the time a text message was received if it was not received that day
    20. There is no carriage return in texting – a carriage return sends the message
    21. Shows all phone numbers instead of just the mobile phone number when selecting a contact to send a text message to
    22. Cannot print to my printer that is on the same network, has wireless support, and supports Bluetooth
    23. No flash support – many web pages don't work; Windows Mobile did not support it but I could get a browser SkyFire for free, which did
    24. Not having a separate scrolling mechanism other than gestures on the screen is really problematic since you end up selecting a message or hyperlink you did not intend to
    25. Phone lock time is not independent from the time to blank the display for energy conservation, and is limited to 3 seconds at that. I may want to have the display go blank after 5 seconds but have the lock engage after 30 seconds (and sometimes not lock at all if I am at home).
    26. Cannot right click on hyperlink in browser
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Sounds like you are a Windows mobile fan and want the Pre to work like a Windows phone. Most of the items you listed do work on the Pre. Some require a free patch or App through Preware.

For instance, item 4, hold the Orange/Silver key down then use finger to move the cursor where you want it. Very easy. Attempting to tap where you want it is as you found very difficult.

WebOS 2.0 also addresses some of your issues.
    Last edited by Huff; 10/20/2010 at 10:45 PM.
    cannot 'right click' a link? Did your windows phone have a mouse?

good news, though - alt+tap on the pre does the trick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huff View Post
    Sounds like you are a Windows mobile fan and want the Pre to work like a Windows phone. Most of the items you listed do work on the Pre. Some require a free patch or App through Preware.

For instance, item 4, hold the Orange/Silver key down then use finger to move the cursor where you want it. Very easy. Attempting to tap where you want it is as you found very difficult.

WebOS 2.0 also addresses some of your issues.
    While he may be a windows mobile fan, the OP's post is about equivalent functionality, not getting a Pre "to work like a Windows phone."

Quote Originally Posted by cantaffordit
    cannot 'right click' a link? Did your windows phone have a mouse?
    Despite the fact that you can use a BT mouse with a Windows Mobile device, the OP is referring to WM's press-and-hold gesture which brings up a context menu throughout the device's software (like right-click does in desktop Windows). This same gesture is also available in the Android OS. The Pre's method, unfortunately, requires 2 hands to perform.
    My phone pulls down our corporate Exchange account beautifully for e-mail and contacts. There is no need for synching via USB with Outlook on a PC for exchange or cloud email and contacts. I understand the memo part of your concern, if that is something you use frequently.

We are getting better spell check type stuff with 2.0

Not having a save option is just as often a good thing as a bad thing. I personally like that we don't have to "save".

I bet we could get a patch for e-mailing meeting attendees from the Cal app. I know that the phone actually prompts you at your meeting reminder notification to be able to email participants so I would think that an e-mail participants option could be put inside the calendar event easily. I do wish that you could set appointments in the Cal app and invite attendees from the phone.

We will have Flash support in webOs 2.0 in the coming months.

There is a patch for the text message time stamp.
    Quote Originally Posted by RohitJain View Post
    I was frustrated by the sluggishness of the HP iPAQ Windows Mobile 6.1 PDA that I had. So I got a Palm Pre anticipating a much better experience. It is certainly not sluggish, and it is great for phone calls and all the personal multi-media, apps, GPS, connectivity kind of things. But what I was really surprised at was the huge list of functionality that is missing for what I use the phone the most for – related to my work. It is pathetic even when compared to the Windows Mobile 6.1 OS which is now ancient. Maybe someone can tell me that some of these things can really be done and that I just don’t know how.
    1. Cannot synchronize Outlook Notes with Memos without expensive 3rd party applications – one requires me to first synchronize my corporate Outlook Exchange with Google, and the other requires my laptop to be available in order to synchronize mail while stripping it off all protection such as firewalls or security software (that is, it does not provide me real time synchronization when I really need it – when I don’t have access to my laptop)
    2. No spell checker
    3. No smart auto-suggest so I can save myself some typing on the tiny keyboard
    4. No cursor movement – you have to use your finger to get the cursor in the correct position for editing. Of course, I can never get it to the right spot, so I need to use backspace and retype stuff.
    5. Cannot move or copy email ids from To list to CC list, or to use for another email
    6. Cannot select text from a message in my inbox to copy elsewhere
    7. Puts a line break instead of a paragraph break on a carriage return while editing
    8. While replying to a message and editing the original message with responses it does not tag or change the font of the responses
    9. Signature cannot be restricted to new Sent messages; it gets added even when responding to or forwarding the message
    10. Font on sent messages is Times Ten on the first line or so, and different for the rest of the message – this just seems like a bug
    11. On deleting a message when reviewing it, it should go to the next one, instead of back to the Inbox
    12. Not having a save option is really disconcerting. This means I cannot just abandon all the changes I made since my last save with no option to undo. Also, in case of a failure what is saved? If I keep a memo open for example, after adding text, is that text safe? Immediately as I type?
    13. In Tasks, Calendar, and Contacts cannot set all the attributes as one can in Windows Mobile Outlook – e.g. Time and category in Task. There is a long list of these attributes in Tasks, Contacts, Calendar that Windows Mobile allows you to set.
    14. Including email ids that are only in the corporate Exchange directory takes ages; plus it does not save searches you did before so you can quickly search the same name again
    15. Can't get to the company phone directory (Outlook Exchange) in order to get phone number and address information for a colleague I need to contact
    16. Updating an appointment on the Palm did not update it in Outlook
    17. If I change the time of an appointment it does not send updates to attendees
    18. No ability to forward or reply to calendar appointments – I use this to inform attendees before a meeting about something or I use it to follow up on action items – that way the context is there, as well as all the relevant people I need to send the message to
    19. Does not have the time a text message was received if it was not received that day
    20. There is no carriage return in texting – a carriage return sends the message
    21. Shows all phone numbers instead of just the mobile phone number when selecting a contact to send a text message to
    22. Cannot print to my printer that is on the same network, has wireless support, and supports Bluetooth
    23. No flash support – many web pages don't work; Windows Mobile did not support it but I could get a browser SkyFire for free, which did
    24. Not having a separate scrolling mechanism other than gestures on the screen is really problematic since you end up selecting a message or hyperlink you did not intend to
    25. Phone lock time is not independent from the time to blank the display for energy conservation, and is limited to 3 seconds at that. I may want to have the display go blank after 5 seconds but have the lock engage after 30 seconds (and sometimes not lock at all if I am at home).
    26. Cannot right click on hyperlink in browser
    2 & 3: better support is coming

4: hold the option key (under the A) and drag ur finger across the screen to move the cursor

5: should b able to copy/paste (gesture tap-C, gesture tap-V)

6: shift tap will hightlight paragraphs so you can copy

19: there's a few patches in preware for that

23: it's coming w/ 2.0

26: option-tap the link

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums Beta
    The OP should have done some research before getting their new phone, and should be doing alot more research now about how to use their new phone.
    Hmmm?.....It's a Palm Pre, here, let me show you something cool...;-)
    OP, some of your complaints are valid. Many of them are examples of you not knowing how to use the device. Some of them are issues that are being addressed in the upcoming update. But really you seem to be a power user; i'm shocked you didn't do a little more research before your purchase.

also, it seems a little silly to expect have phone that isn't winmo to have equal functionality to one that is -- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 10/21/2010 at 07:36 AM.
    [QUOTE=wushu2004;2723763]5: should b able to copy/paste (gesture tap-C, gesture tap-V)

This doesn't work from the inbox but I use a work-around. If you hit fwd, reply, or reply all, the aforemention text becomes copy/pastable in the email that you are composing. Once the text is in the clipboard, you can throw away the card and past it where you want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    OP, some of your complaints are valid. Many of them are examples of you not knowing how to use the device. Some of them are issues that are being addressed in the upcoming update. But really you seem to be a power user; i'm shocked you didn't do a little more research before your purchase.

also, it seems a little silly to expect have phone that isn't winmo to have equal functionality to one that is -- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    this is very true. having used winmo, i didn't like it at all but it did have a lot of functionality. many of us are unhappy that the Pre doesn't have all the PIM and productivity features of the Treo/Centro phones - although it is improving and the homebrew community has filled in a ton of missing items with patches and apps available in preware.

doc editing will be coming from a third party sometime after webOS 2.0 and I just ponied up the money to have outlook sync even though I agree palm should have provided it.

but, at the end of the day the phones that will most closely match winmo is probably going to be win7. but, if you will be using a pre for the forseeable future, much of what you are looking for is available. it might not work exactly the same, but it can generally be made to do most of what you listed. and if you look through the webOS 2.0 reviews, more goodness is being made possible when 2.0 is released in the next month or so.

if you read up on the sticky threads in each subforum and post questions as they come up for you, there are lots of us around that can help you get the capabilities you are looking for. generally the UI of webOS is so addictive that it becomes worth the effort to patch up your phone - I have more than 70 patches on mine...

for you, I'd suggest that you start with mode-switcher, and the advanced settings patches for the launcher and device menu. those three handle about half of the patches I've used and eventually I will doctor and start over with those three megapatches.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RohitJain View Post
    I was frustrated by the sluggishness of the HP iPAQ Windows Mobile 6.1 PDA that I had. So I got a Palm Pre anticipating a much better experience. It is certainly not sluggish, and it is great for phone calls and all the personal multi-media, apps, GPS, connectivity kind of things. But what I was really surprised at was the huge list of functionality that is missing for what I use the phone the most for – related to my work. It is pathetic even when compared to the Windows Mobile 6.1 OS which is now ancient.
    It's pretty easy to compare any smartphone OS with any other smartphone OS and make a 50-point list of all the "missing functionality" on one or the other. Mobile devices are an exercise in design and development tradeoffs.

For better or worse, the world has changed and smartphones are not WinMo/PalmOS/Symbian PDA-type devices (except maybe Blackberries). It turns out most people value the overall experience more than a long list of functionality, so that's what companies have their developers focus on first. (Windows Phone 7 is no different, and even RIM is following this trend)

These things are coming back in as platforms mature (webOS 2.0 addresses some of your concerns), but a lot of people have the same desires as you They've made cool patches to implement them, so I suggest you get Preware and start patching things up. Just yesterday I added a new patch from Preware that adds the tap-and-hold for context menu in the browser!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post

This wins, hands down.
    Before I got my Pixi, I used a Motorola Q for about three years, running Windows Mobile 5. I understand a lot of the OP's frustration. The things I still miss from my Q are the lack of categories (for contacts, meetings, etc.), lack of status for a meeting (busy, out of office, free), the lack of automatic profile switching (to automatically set phone in meeting mode when an appointment occurs if its status is "busy"), and the lack of a home screen that displays your next upcoming appointment.

You have to understand, us old WinMo users aren't necessarily bashing WebOS. I really like WebOS. But if it's going to compete as a smartphone OS for professionals, there are things it just needs to add. The stuff about scrolling and moving the cursor... well, I don't see that changing since that's a limitation of the hardware design Palm has chosen. That's just something to get used to. Although, it wouldn't be terribly difficult to add some arrow keys to the keyboard. But the other functionality that was in WinMo that's not in WebOS, HP absolutely needs to add if it wants to be taken seriously in the business arena.

Obviously the OP is much more a power user than myself. I've given in and accepted the limitations of WebOS since I really don't want to go back to my Q. But for the OP, I can't really say he should stick around and wait to see how much of this will be fixed in WebOS 2.0, because I don't think much of it will. Some, yes, but a lot of it, no. The problem is that WP7 isn't here yet, and as he said, WinMo 6.1 is ancient. So the current choice is to use an ancient phone or live with the limitations of a non-WinMo phone. We're kind of left in a lurch. My suggestion to the OP would be to return the Pre if he's still in the first 30 days (or whatever the limit is now) and either wait for WP7 or wait and see if WebOS 2.0 adds enough functionality to make it usable.

I love WebOS and I'm sticking with my Pixi, but it is certainly not an OS I would recommend to any of my clients until/unless it becomes more business-oriented. In the meantime, Android is working well for the vast majority of my clients, but none are as much a power user as the OP.
    How do you know that WP7 is going to have these features? When Palm went from PalmOS to webOS, they completely changed things and the whinging from old PalmOS users was hilarious, to be honest.
    screwdestiny
    PSN • Twitter • Last.FM
    [QUOTE=ReaganElephant;2723849]
    Quote Originally Posted by wushu2004 View Post
    5: should b able to copy/paste (gesture tap-C, gesture tap-V)

This doesn't work from the inbox but I use a work-around. If you hit fwd, reply, or reply all, the aforemention text becomes copy/pastable in the email that you are composing. Once the text is in the clipboard, you can throw away the card and past it where you want it.
    actually i misspoke.

shift key-tap on a paragraph to higlight, then gesture-C to copy
    10)
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...Email+Mega+Mix
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I have combined several patches into one to make an Email Megamix Patch. This patch combines:
    • outlook formatting with a black font
    • move popup and mark emails unread buttons
    • read & delete all
    • swipe for previous and next email
    • confirm swipe to delete
    • add priority and discard buttons
    • send, save, and discard confirmation popup
    • additional sync times and additional sync days/months
    • delete from notification**
    • email delete next**
    • flag emails** (icon still needs work currently vip icon but fully functional)

FYI to install you must remove any patches referenced in this post to get a successful install.
    ver 2 megamix without the delete from notification
    ver 3 megamix with all the features above and delete from notification
    ver 4 same as ver3 but Updated patch to include the flagging of emails from the icon.
    ver5 same as ver4 but moved the send button to far right per rlanza and greenawayj's request.
    ver6 remove outlook formattting but includes other features

megamix without outlook formatting. I haven't tried this one yet whipped it up this morning before work so let me know if it works. This should solve the issue for those not using the exchange 2007 server.

http://forums.precentral.net/attachm...il-megamix.jpg

11)
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2583966

12) swipe card away to save ..Anything

20) http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ssaging-3.html

21)http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...35#post2634935

all others where answered i believe
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    How do you know that WP7 is going to have these features? When Palm went from PalmOS to webOS, they completely changed things and the whinging from old PalmOS users was hilarious, to be honest.
    WP7 is not a brand new OS like WebOS. Hence the "7." It's the seventh version of Windows Mobile. MS just decided to rename it Windows Phone. I haven't played with WP7 yet myself, but if it contains less capabilities than previous versions of Windows Mobile, I'll eat my shoe.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    WP7 is not a brand new OS like WebOS. Hence the "7." It's the seventh version of Windows Mobile. MS just decided to rename it Windows Phone. I haven't played with WP7 yet myself, but if it contains less capabilities than previous versions of Windows Mobile, I'll eat my shoe.
    WP7 IS a new OS. NOT a continuation of WinMo. WinMo apps will NOT work on WP7.

Edit: I forgot to mention that WP7 will debut without Cut, Copy and Paste functions. Let me know how your shoe tastes.
    Last edited by RafRol; 10/22/2010 at 03:54 AM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Rohit - you win some, you lose some!
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    WP7 IS a new OS. NOT a continuation of WinMo. WinMo apps will NOT work on WP7.

Edit: I forgot to mention that WP7 will debut without Cut, Copy and Paste functions. Let me know how your shoe tastes.
    I am sure MS would love for you to believe that WP7 is a completely new OS from the ground up, just like Windows 7 is completely new and not Vista SP3 (hint: it is Vista SP3). But it is based on WinCE, just like WinMo, running .NET Framework, just like WinMo. The developers won't have to learn much more than a UI tweak to make new to make apps for WP7, and then get their apps signed for WP7. I'd wager my other shoe that someone over at XDA-developers will find a way to app-unlock WP7 to run earlier WinMo apps on it, if they haven't already. At its core, it's still WinMo, just with a prettier wrapper on it.

And yes, everyone is aware of the cut/paste situation, but MS has made it abundantly clear that it is a work in progress, not something that has been omitted from the OS.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast