Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    or if you didn't title the post the way you did.
  2.    #42  
    Thanks for that since you relate to where I am coming from. There is no question that I will be sticking with the WebOS since the phone is so much more responsive, has a lot of other great features that WinMo just does not have, people have pointed out solutions to things I thought I could not do, and as folks have said there will be improvements that will edge towards similar functionality. The nice part is that I can still use my iPAQ with another SIM that I have if the Outlook support ultimately gets to me :-) Not ideal to use two phones, one for Outlook and the other for everything else. But I am sticking with the Pre.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I am sure MS would love for you to believe that WP7 is a completely new OS from the ground up, just like Windows 7 is completely new and not Vista SP3 (hint: it is Vista SP3).
    Desktop Windows versions are evolutionary steps of each other, because they serve the same purpose. Windows 7 needs to be able to achieve the same basic functionality of Vista, and Vista of XP, etc... in order to stay relevant.

This is not true in the mobile arena.
    In fact, Microsoft had planned the next version of Windows Mobile, which was supposed to be a UI called "Photon".
    However, MS declared the platform DEAD since it was not getting the market attention they wanted. Another Windows Mobile wouldn't work.

That's right, DEAD. Windows Mobile is NO MORE.

What they did, is took a look at their more popular devices, such as the XBOX and the Zune HD, and said "hey, let's make a phone out of this instead".
    WinPhone 7 is not the next step up from Windows Mobile. That would have been "Photon". This is "Metro", which shouldn't surprise anyone as the same codename for the Zune HD.

In summation:
    "Photon" - Windows Mobile 7 (which will never see the light of day)
    "Metro" - Zune Phone 1.0 (which marketing decided to call Windows Phone 7)

The framework and .net don't contain the same modules. Where windows mobile apps are looking for routines to draw windowed displays with scroll bars and menus, none of that exists in WP7. And most forms of memory calls and task management are non-existant in WP7 as well.

Saying you could run WinMo classic apps in Wp7 is about as accurate as saying you can run Pre applications on Android, since they are both based on Linux kernels!

EDIT: I wanted to post some links to articles with more information on this matter (including a video showing what Windows Mobile 7 Photon was supposed to be, if they had continued working progressively from Windows Mobile 6), but since I lurk here more than post my right to post links hasn't been reached yet. Bummer. Its good stuff.
  4.    #44  
    I agree, I should have titled it better as to not get everyone riled up. But it did draw some attention and got me some great responses. I wonder now if a bland title would have instigated such response :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by dishe View Post
    EDIT: I wanted to post some links to articles with more information on this matter (including a video showing what Windows Mobile 7 Photon was supposed to be, if they had continued working progressively from Windows Mobile 6), but since I lurk here more than post my right to post links hasn't been reached yet. Bummer. Its good stuff.
    I believe this is the link you were referring to:

mopocket » Blog Archive » Photon- The Windows Mobile UI that could have been

Anyway, this is the important thing to take from that article:

Microsoft HAD to start over because they recognized that even if they finally perfected Windows Mobile in its current shell, no one would take notice because the OS is so tainted in the popular view. The only way to break free of the stigma of “buggy Windows on clunky phones” is to start over with something fresh and trendy.
    Similar to what they had to do with Vista/Windows 7. Vista earned such a bad reputation that they had to change the UI a bit and rename it, hence we now have Windows 7. Remember the failed Mojave ads they put out, trying to salvage Vista's reputation? MS learned their lesson with that, and decided to scrap the Windows Mobile brand and merge it with the Zune's UI.

But it is not a brand spanking new OS. That is the marketing hype you should not be believing. WM brought the phone, Zune brought the UI. You guys obviously seem convinced otherwise, which is exactly what MS intended, but I find the references to WP7 as a 1.0 OS as laughable.

Photon would have been WM7, as it was a more straightforward evolution of WM without a major UI redesign, but after seeing the success of the iPhone, a Zune phone was a no-brainer for MS, so it's no surprise that that's exactly what they delievered with WP7, abandoning Photon.

Still not convinced? Many WM apps can be moved to WP7 with not much more than a UI redesign.

Will my WM 6.5 app have to be re-written for WP7?

Mark Arteaga - Going from Windows Phone 6.5 to Windows Phone 7

Overall, porting the app took about 7 days in total with most time going into porting 15 forms, creating 2 custom controls and experimenting with animations within Expression Blend. [UI stuff] Porting the C# code was extremely straight forward as most of the previous code was re-used and nothing was touched on the backend services. In fact, both the Windows Phone 7 and 6.5 client use the exact same services.
    But you guys go ahead and believe what you want.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123