Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    WP7 IS a new OS. NOT a continuation of WinMo. WinMo apps will NOT work on WP7.

Edit: I forgot to mention that WP7 will debut without Cut, Copy and Paste functions. Let me know how your shoe tastes.
    true, but it already has Shazam...
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    WP7 is not a brand new OS like WebOS. Hence the "7." It's the seventh version of Windows Mobile. MS just decided to rename it Windows Phone. I haven't played with WP7 yet myself, but if it contains less capabilities than previous versions of Windows Mobile, I'll eat my shoe.
    sorry but you just wrote a lot of misinformation with a lot of conviction there!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    While he may be a windows mobile fan, the OP's post is about equivalent functionality, not getting a Pre "to work like a Windows phone."

Despite the fact that you can use a BT mouse with a Windows Mobile device, the OP is referring to WM's press-and-hold gesture which brings up a context menu throughout the device's software (like right-click does in desktop Windows). This same gesture is also available in the Android OS. The Pre's method, unfortunately, requires 2 hands to perform.

Agree. The long press features in WinMo are quite handy to use one handed while walking thru an airport with a coffee in the other hand - something that a lot of former Treo users were used to and the Pre made more difficult due to the slider. I'm not saying these were better than a Pre, but just small WinMo functionality features with typing, copying, pasting and editing that seem to be more business friendly than Web OS.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    It's pretty easy to compare any smartphone OS with any other smartphone OS and make a 50-point list of all the "missing functionality" on one or the other. Mobile devices are an exercise in design and development tradeoffs.
    Unless it's an iPhone, then it's a 100-point list!

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I am sure MS would love for you to believe that WP7 is a completely new OS from the ground up, just like Windows 7 is completely new and not Vista SP3 (hint: it is Vista SP3). But it is based on WinCE, just like WinMo, running .NET Framework, just like WinMo. The developers won't have to learn much more than a UI tweak to make new to make apps for WP7, and then get their apps signed for WP7. I'd wager my other shoe that someone over at XDA-developers will find a way to app-unlock WP7 to run earlier WinMo apps on it, if they haven't already. At its core, it's still WinMo, just with a prettier wrapper on it.

And yes, everyone is aware of the cut/paste situation, but MS has made it abundantly clear that it is a work in progress, not something that has been omitted from the OS.

I thought I read that they said cut/paste would be pushed out to WP7 phones in January, so I don't think that will be missing for too long. Ridiculous that it's not at release, but overall it is a pretty fluid looking OS so far.

Quote Originally Posted by abhinandanjain View Post
    sorry but you just wrote a lot of misinformation with a lot of conviction there!
    Such as?
    Such as?
    Your entire post..

I suppose we never landed on the moon either..

Conspiricy theorists.. Can't stand em

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    I love our community

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    I knew webos was missing a lot of features... but I've never seen anyone finding so much fault before. The webos platform is a new operating system built from the bottom up, everything takes time to reach maturity... I think at some point the op might have been misled or misinformed about webos. I take it that some people are really into a phone functionality as well as its capabilities.

I do hope the op find that super phone that they are looking for, it's quite obvious that webos is not it.

In all fairness though, I kinda understand the OP's frustration, however, being a power user...(like themself) the op should have check up on the capability, and functionality of any phone before purchasing it.(Ignorance is not an excuse) I wish the OP good luck in finding a device inwhich suite their needs.

Best Regards.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Your entire post..

I suppose we never landed on the moon either..

Conspiricy theorists.. Can't stand em

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Go hang out at XDA-developers for a minute. Nothing misinformed or "conspiracy"-like about it. There are a few APIs that have been replaced, but a lot of the old WinMo stuff is still there. Did you really think MS would just throw out all the work they've put in to WinMo and start from scratch? Not realistic.
    WP7 is not a brand new OS like WebOS. Hence the "7." It's the seventh version of Windows Mobile. MS just decided to rename it Windows Phone. I haven't played with WP7 yet myself, but if it contains less capabilities than previous versions of Windows Mobile, I'll eat my shoe.
    The name Windows Phone 7 sounds more like a phone version of Windows 7 than the next iteration of Windows Mobile.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I am sure that was intentional.
    Did you really think MS would just throw out all the work they've put in to WinMo and start from scratch? Not realistic.
    You mean like Palm did with webOS? It may not have been realistic for them to do so, but it certainly was disastrous for the company formerly known as Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    The name Windows Phone 7 sounds more like a phone version of Windows 7 than the next iteration of Windows Mobile.
    that's pure marketing. They didn't use win7 as the basis for phone7
    Better start chewing then.
    please take this as kindly as I am intending this... What would make you beliebe this? They can put whatever number on it they want. Windows7 isn't the seventh version of windows, either. Depending on you you count it, win7 is about version 15.

back when ibm came out with OS2, did you think it was the next generation of OS1?

please don't believe marketing hype, product names, or politicians. All of them are lying to you.

*thank you*
    I am sure MS would love for you to believe that WP7 is a completely new OS from the ground up, just like Windows 7 is completely new and not Vista SP3 (hint: it is Vista SP3). But it is based on WinCE, just like WinMo, running .NET Framework, just like WinMo. The developers won't have to learn much more than a UI tweak to make new to make apps for WP7, and then get their apps signed for WP7. I'd wager my other shoe that someone over at XDA-developers will find a way to app-unlock WP7 to run earlier WinMo apps on it, if they haven't already. At its core, it's still WinMo, just with a prettier wrapper on it.
    You are amazingly uninformed. True, WP7 does use C# and .NET but most WM apps were written in C. Even those written in C# will not work on WP7 which requires non game apps to use Silverlight (a cut down WPF).
    I am sure that was intentional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    that's pure marketing. They didn't use win7 as the basis for phone7
    Obviously. My point is not that Win7 was used as the basis for the workings WP7, but rather as the basis for the name - in short, that the name Windows Phone 7 is not necessarily a continuation of Windows Mobile 6.X. I think if Microsoft wanted WP7 to be associated with Windows Mobile, they would have named it such.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  19.    #39  
    Folks, this has been very helpful. Some of you have provided me a lot of good information here. I really am not a Windows Mobile fan. Like someone said, I was just looking for the functionality. As I originally said, I probably have to discover many of the things. However, I work for HP and have access to the great support from Palm and I did verify most of the things on the list that I have posted (before I posted them).

Some of you have said that I should have checked out the functionality before I purchased the phone. Frankly, the Windows Mobile was so sluggish that I was frustrated with it. I also believed that nothing could be worse. Oh well! I also don't know how you check out all those things unless you buy the phone and use it for a few weeks. I am still discovering things that I cannot do with my Pre. I have at least 5 more things I can add to the the list since my post.

Now, there are general things that I should be able to do and some of you have given me great pointers on how to, and I have been told that some of that functionality is coming. There are a few things on my list that I could not do on Windows Mobile either But the main issue is Outlook integration and functionality. I suppose that Microsoft certainly has an advantage there. But I do a lot from my PDA that I don't have to do from the laptop. And certainly the Windows Mobile functionality is far superior and closer to Outlook on my laptop that Pre.

There is no question that the rest of the experience, and what the general market looks for in a phone on the Pre is phenominal compared to Windows Mobile 6.0. And certainly I am enjoying all that. But ultimately it is the Outlook mail and appointments where I spend most of my time on the Pre with.

Thanks for all the great comments!
  20.    #40  
    Yes, actually I did discover later that in Contacts, Global directory access works. In fact, it is automatic and better than an explicit search of that directory in Windows Mobile. Maybe I would not have riled up so many folks if I had elaborated more on the great things about the Pre :-)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast