Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Live from Apple's 'Back to the Mac' event -- Engadget

Apple has got some really interesting features here... they took the great things about webOS 2.0 (cards, mutlitouch gestures, and now stacks) and melded them into their desktop operating system, and I am sure iOS-5 is not too far behind.

They now have a desktop app store that mirrors their mobile one. Apple has created a user experience that bridges the gap between the desktop/laptop, tablet, and mobile devices.

HP has got some real work to do... What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Butters3605; 10/20/2010 at 02:11 PM.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    I like how you said innovative features and then went straight into the **** they jacked from Palm. It's still a Mac, it's still Apple, and it's still Jobs. I care for none of them.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    I like how you said innovative features and then went straight into the **** they jacked from Palm. It's still a Mac, it's still Apple, and it's still Jobs. I care for none of them.
    Editing my post, your right kinda sounded contradictory.

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    What I find pretty interesting is that they're announcing the new version now, but it doesn't launch until next summer. It's almost a whole year away. Is that typical? Quite interested if that's to allow its Palm acquisitions to finish remolding the OS.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Wonder if they copied enough for HP to launch a lawsuit against Apple.
  6.    #6  
    If I was HP, i would have my legal team on this checking every angle.

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    What I find pretty interesting is that they're announcing the new version now, but it doesn't launch until next summer. It's almost a whole year away. Is that typical? Quite interested if that's to allow its Palm acquisitions to finish remolding the OS.
    Apple is priming the market place and turning the attention of the sheep away from other tech companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    Apple is priming the market place and turning the attention of the sheep away from other tech companies.
    exactly. and letting the world see them using all of these elements from webOS is going to make everyone think that apphole did it first.

don't get me wrong, i've got a macbook, and an iPod classic, and will probably buy more. well, no more iPods. i don't see the point of having an iPhone that doesn't make calls when i've got another smartphone. but, i do get aggravated by how pompous jobs is about everything apple, how controlling they are, and how they will borrow an idea and convince the world that it was theirs and it's the greatest idea anyone has had to date.
    Last edited by igobytony; 10/20/2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: spelling
    Seriously? The only thing that could be considered WebOSesque is stacks. Everything else is just the evolution of Expose.

Unless Apple ripped off WebOS when they introduced Panther back in 2003.

HP has got some real work to do... What are your thoughts?
    i agree, a LOT of work to do. it seems like they've invested in the right areas, and now have ownership of the right companies to bring things all together, but who knows how well it will all be implemented, and if it will be done in a reasonable timeframe.

apple's really got the whole cohesive ecosystem thing down.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    ...to make everyone think that apphole did it first. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jobs @ Back to Mac
    10:48AM "Thanks to Greg and everbody on his team. So that's iLife. Next up, I'd like to talk about FaceTime."

10:49AM "It's the first video calling on mobile devices."
    The iphone4 is not the first device to do mobile video calling.

12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Seriously? The only thing that could be considered WebOSesque is stacks. Everything else is just the evolution of Expose.

Unless Apple ripped off WebOS when they introduced Panther back in 2003.
    So the swipe gesture to change full screen apps was originally part of Expose?

I'm confused with what they copied from palm. This stuff is desktop software, even if they did copy ideas from palm, its not like they're competing products. It all seemed like the natural progression of osx. I think the only way some of you would be convinced apple didn't copy anything is if they stopped updating their software entirely.
    So the swipe gesture to change full screen apps was originally part of Expose?
    Ever do a 4 finger swipe on Snow Leopard before?
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I'm confused with what they copied from palm. This stuff is desktop software, even if they did copy ideas from palm, its not like they're competing products. It all seemed like the natural progression of osx. I think the only way some of you would be convinced apple didn't copy anything is if they stopped updating their software entirely.
    it's going to be on the iPad too.

HP better get on with some sweeteness with their palmpad, because with apple's stuff they're showing, and what RIM's playbook showed before, it sounds like the whole "card stacks and gestures will be perfect on a tablet!" thing isn't going to be webOS's big differentiator anymore.
    the most attractive feature of the iphone and ipad is the apps. I wonder how apple introducing the iOS app model to the mac is gonna affect their sales, and also the sales of disc based software creators
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Ever do a 4 finger swipe on Snow Leopard before?
    Nope, I have not. So I guess the answer is yes, fullscreen app changes has been part of Expose since 2003?

Lion introduces full screen apps not just windowed apps. No top bar, no dock. pretty much an iPad environment on a desktop/laptop.

If I was HP, i would have my legal team on this checking every angle.
    Why's that? Even if apple blatantly copied something from palm, apple is bullet proof. They'd just countersue.

It's the same way Palm is bulletproof vs apple.

Either company can feel free to rip each other.
    honestly, been thinking about how I wish I could control my laptop with gestures. Then apple does it. Not really thinking about a new laptop yet, but I know windows can frustrate me to all hell sometimes
    Nope, I have not. So I guess the answer is yes, fullscreen app changes has been part of Expose since 2003?
    The interface is pretty much just a tweaked version of the original implementation of Expose. The input method came along when Apple rolled out their multitouch trackpad.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast