Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    honestly, been thinking about how I wish I could control my laptop with gestures. Then apple does it. Not really thinking about a new laptop yet, but I know windows can frustrate me to all hell sometimes
    i'm not trolling anything, but if windows frustrates you, check out macs. since i started using apple computers i've felt that all others were just ********.

like, you know how using webOS just feels so right and natural, and just makes sense? that's how using a mac is. things just work the way you think they should.
    And, really, now that I think about it...the "stacks" feature in 10.7 is just Snow Leopard's Dock Expose moved onto the desktop.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I admit I didn't and can't sit through one of Job's presentations but I have to assume that the OS X app store will not be the only avenue to purchase software for a Mac correct?

And folks, I'm not an Apple fan my any means but grouping windows is not the same as grouping cards. If it is then Palm have no IP to worry about as it relates to cards. Microsoft and Apple could simply argue that cards on a mobile OS are simply "windows" and that Palm have no right to fight others for using the card metaphor on a mobile device.

I doubt we will see app cards on iPhone 5 or anything. We won't see a desktop type interface on a iPhone until there is a massive leap in battery technology. Every year Apple boasts about improved battery life, that is clearly a major strategic issue for them.
    Last edited by solarus; 10/20/2010 at 02:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    i'm not trolling anything, but if windows frustrates you, check out macs. since i started using apple computers i've felt that all others were just ********.

like, you know how using webOS just feels so right and natural, and just makes sense? that's how using a mac is. things just work the way you think they should.
    I'm open to exploring it once I need another machine. At that time, I'll compare & contrast. Lion looks good to me from what I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    The iphone4 is not the first device to do mobile video calling.
    First to do it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    I admit I didn't and can't sit through one of Job's presentations but I have to assume that the OS X app store will not be the only avenue to purchase software for a Mac correct?
    Nope. Not as long as you don't have to buy a license to distribute OS X software.

God, that would just be weird.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    First to do it right.
    The first to have mainstream acceptance and advertising.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
  8.    #28  
    I doubt we will see app cards on iPhone 5 or anything. We won't see a desktop type interface on a iPhone until there is a massive leap in battery technology.
    What has happened here is apple made the realization that the battery technology could not support that so they took the ease of the mobile experience and put it on the desktop.

So easy a caveman could do it.... your desktop/laptop interfaces the same as your tablet, and your phone.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    What has happened here is apple made the realization that the battery technology could not support that so they took the ease of the mobile experience and put it on the desktop.

So easy a caveman could do it.... your desktop/laptop interfaces the same as your tablet, and your phone.
    I think it's more of a design philosophy thing than any technical limitations. Android's UI borrows a lot from the desktop metaphor. WebOS even more so. Both do fine with the battery life available to them.
    they borrow different aspects of the desktop metephore, but not the entire thing
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Nope. Not as long as you don't have to buy a license to distribute OS X software.

God, that would just be weird.
    Yeah no kidding. I don't agree with Apple's strategy on controlling the mobile distribution side of things but the strategy does have its merits. In the PC/Laptop market it would be very very strange indeed.

Still, an interesting discussion. One could argue that long-term Apple could make a slow and deliberate move to taking complete control over software distribution for Mac products. It would take several years to occur as developers become accustomed to using Apple rather than their own distribution channel. The big issue would be whether or not the other big boys play - it's difficult to see Adobe, Microsoft, and other large players giving up control of the distribution of their biggest profit making software packages for PC and laptops too.
    Last edited by solarus; 10/20/2010 at 02:57 PM.
    Yeah no kidding. I don't agree with Apple's strategy on controlling the mobile distribution side of things but the strategy does have its merits. In the PC/Laptop market it would be very very strange indeed.

Still, an interesting discussion. One could argue that long-term Apple could make a slow and deliberate move to taking complete control over software distribution for Mac products. It would several years to occur as developers become accustomed to using Apple rather than their own distribution channel. The big issue would be whether or not the other big boys play - it's difficult to see Adobe, Microsoft, and other large players giving up control of the distribution of their biggest profit making software packages for PC and laptops too.
    I don't think there would be any upside to Apple wrenching total control over app distribution for OS X, though. I'm sure they would love to do it but with the Mac's marketshare being what it is, Apple's still in the position where they need to be as inclusive as possible.
    The first to have mainstream acceptance and advertising.
    first to do it without the need to open an app or log into a service to use. Integrated right into the phone OS.
    Anyone here that owns an iPhone 4 and Mac try the new FaceTime beta on Mac? It's pretty sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Anyone here that owns an iPhone 4 and Mac try the new FaceTime beta on Mac? It's pretty sweet.
    yep, love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The interface is pretty much just a tweaked version of the original implementation of Expose. The input method came along when Apple rolled out their multitouch trackpad.
    can you explain Expose? and what its intended use.. Honestly i dont have THAT much mac experience.. i have dabbled but thats all...

from the "Glance" i took at wiki it seems like its like the show desktop feature in windows.. with some other tweaks... this sounds like a wrong assumption.. or may be its right for expose in 03...

dont mean to derail thread...
    I know this forum is chock full of Mac and Jobs haters, and I consider myself very impartial, having never even owned a mac, however I am very excited about Lion OS, I have been wanting apps for my computer since I got a pre (my first smartphone). The concept just makes sense, the interface with apps is so much simpler and better than using your web browser for all of you social networking, etc. I only use my pre now for twitter, engadget, facebook, email, etc simply because it is so much simpler and easier.

While Apple is very controlling and cocky it is because of this that they truly do offer the most innovative and intuitive products on the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    I like how you said innovative features and then went straight into the **** they jacked from Palm. It's still a Mac, it's still Apple, and it's still Jobs. I care for none of them.
    well said.... jobs can go suck it. that man is the most arrogant SOB ive EVER seen.
    To you claiming that Apple is ripping off Palm here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergent_evolution
    There's only so many ways to do multitasking.
    [url=http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/20/live-from-apples-back-to-the-mac-event/?sort=newest&refresh=60]... they took the great things about webOS 2.0 (cards, mutlitouch gestures, and now stacks) and melded them into their desktop operating system,
    I'm going to try to stop laughing long enough to compose a reply.

Go to 2:50 in the video. You will see SJ demonstrating the iPhone's cheap knock off of wOS's card view... IN JAN, 07! Darn those time machines.

Yes, HP should sue all derivative card metaphors out of existence that cropped up after Palm lifted it from the iPhone a year later. This is confusing.

Upset about Stacks? You realize that Stacks is a part of OS X already. It has been implemented first in the Dock. Looks like Palm is a year late on that one too.

Pleeeeas, HP, sue Apple for this stuff. There will be a smoking crater where the Palm division used to be. The Envy division will not fare much better. It's nice to think that Palm is important enough for someone to copy, but you have to be high on your own supply to think this is an example of it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast