Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Had a Pre since the debut back in June of 2009. The webos rocked but I've been through 4 handsets. They oreo, don't turn on anymore, battery replaced under warranty, and even had that bug where the software did a spontaneous palm restore. Regardless, I liked it so much my wife got one, too. But I got tired of waiting for Palm, now HP, to put out the "real" hardware. My Pre headphone jack was stuck in headset mode and that was the last straw.

So I now have an Evo 4G. I really really really miss the webos, but Android is pretty sweet, but its not webos. But the Evo makes a gigantic leap forward past the Pre via the hardware. The on screen keyboard takes some getting use to but in about a week I can type as well as with the Pre. And the gorgeous screen and 4G connection are industry leaders!

Still, I 2nd guessed myself with abandoning the Pre, but I think that after seeing the Pre2, I made the right choice. After a 2 year wait for new hardware, is this suppose to pacify us? Till when?

HP, please give me a reason to come back....soon! It's pretty obvious at this point that webos is proprietary with ZERO chance HTC or some other hardware manufacturer will licence it from them. So unless HP pulls out all the stops, prepare for 1 or 2 webos handsets at a time, ala pre and pixi. Ugh.
    in the same launch day boat as you man... highly considering the evo after the news of a verizon exclusive pre 2. my nerdness cant hold out much longer lol... im going to try to hold out until ces.. if nothing is annouced, evo here i come! Hoping webos 2.0 keeps me interested
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Same here...I am trying my best to hold out till the CES
    i hate android but my pre has had every problem possible. This is straight hardware vs software. Even with great software I have no hardware to use it with. I too will be switching to evo soon. Unless sprint comes out with pre 3 during ces.
    I am not a girl and evo does not fit in my hand. I think I would have to a normal phone too.
    I don't want to leave sprint or webos,,i fiddled with epic today in store and that's a sweet device.
    Android 3 is said to be their big UI overhaul. Should be interesting.
    For now I am here

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    I don't want to leave sprint or webos,,i fiddled with epic today in store and that's a sweet device.
    Same here. I went to my local store and fiddled with the epic. Gorgeous screen, solidly built, and very snappy. I'm not a fan of landscape keyboards. But man, that is one beautiful device. I was very tempted. Only reason I held back was, it did not have the same emotional pull on me as the pre and webOS. I just do not think I'll enjoy it has much, even though it's a way better phone.

My only hope is that within the next six months, we do not keep saying the same thing, "If only we had a better hardware., then webOS..."

I love webOS and will always do. Six months from now and we still don't have a super phone to really compete with the big dogs, I'm not saying. But it is going to happen.
    Can't blame ya, sprint users gettin really screwed. When pre gives out,so do I. If still under sprint contract then will dumbphone down til it's done. After that, android os on regional/cheapest plan anywhere.
    I'm using the evo now, and I gotta say it's really not that much better (my opinion). Yes hardware is a lot better than pre, but android OS is not nearly as good as I expected it to be. The browser is janky and slow, although it does wrap text fields which is nice. The notification system is right behind palm, but still has some quirks. Multitasking does exist, but it doesn't come close in comparison to webos.

Not knocking android, since overall it's a decent OS, but as a former pre user (now meta-doctored pre user), android leaves quite a bit to be desired over webos. The big things I think android does best is all of the google services, which is to be expected.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garos09 View Post
    Can't blame ya, sprint users gettin really screwed. When pre gives out,so do I. If still under sprint contract then will dumbphone down til it's done. After that, android os on regional/cheapest plan anywhere.
    Yeah I'm feeling a bit screwed as well, but I'm sticking it out with sprint and I'm not going to use my pre as a primary phone till it's dead, it will make a great backup. So sprint has 2 really nice 'ogre' phones, I'll just get one of those(epic). Hopefully if all goes well, next nov they'll have some hp super pre3 and I can grab that up.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    I'm using the evo now, and I gotta say it's really not that much better (my opinion). Yes hardware is a lot better than pre, but android OS is not nearly as good as I expected it to be. The browser is janky and slow, although it does wrap text fields which is nice. The notification system is right behind palm, but still has some quirks. Multitasking does exist, but it doesn't come close in comparison to webos.

Not knocking android, since overall it's a decent OS, but as a former pre user (now meta-doctored pre user), android leaves quite a bit to be desired over webos. The big things I think android does best is all of the google services, which is to be expected.
    Whats janky about the browser?

Unless you are running the flash plugin as automatic. First thing i did was change it to on demand.

The browser to me FLYS.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I too am trying to hold out until CES. However, if nothing is announced I'm really going to start looking at something else.
    I stopped in a Sprint store last night to look at the EVO & Epic.....they are huge! I heard some folks say they are big, but I had no idea. I don't know how I can carry that thing around. It looks like a mini slate. But I guess it is one of those two for me if Palm doesn't have something interesting at CES.
    Sprint Palm Pre 1.4.5 @ 1G
    Quote Originally Posted by Major.Malfunction View Post
    Had a Pre since the debut back in June of 2009. The webos rocked but I've been through 4 handsets.
    You lucked out... I went through 12 in a 12 month period.
    I couldn't wait and jumped ship. I have an Evo now and the hardware is great...I do feel WebOS is a better OS but Android is not bad. Virtual keybd will take some time to get used to but I do love the big screen. Hopefully in a year when I'm due for an upgrade HP will have new hardware for WebOS. I was happy with my decision to buy an Evo after seeing the Palm Pre 2. WebOS would be amazing if it was running on Evo hardware.
    enjoy your evo....my wife has one and she can barely stand it
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Only reason I haven't went to EVO Or epic is because I don't want to relearn how to root a phone, themes and finding new apps. I also don't want to give up Mode Switcher....
    What reason would have you have root your phone? (other than switching roms?)

I honestly can't find another reason for myself unless you really like to get under the hood of these devices with like over clocking your CPU and such.

Either way, took about 15 minutes for me to ROOT my evo. Everyone makes it out to be the hardest thing in the world, but it was just copy and pasting into the cmd prompt.
    Quote Originally Posted by jadiff View Post
    I too am trying to hold out until CES. However, if nothing is announced I'm really going to start looking at something else.
    lucky me, i have to wait until March anyway (for a subsidized handset, at least). all this worrying about whether to jump ship is moot for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    What reason would have you have root your phone? (other than switching roms?)

I honestly can't find another reason for myself unless you really like to get under the hood of these devices with like over clocking your CPU and such.

Either way, took about 15 minutes for me to ROOT my evo. Everyone makes it out to be the hardest thing in the world, but it was just copy and pasting into the cmd prompt.
    Better kernels equal better performance/battery life. Better tethering, better backup program..etc..etc.etc.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast