Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The evo seems like its big at first. When I saw it at the Sprint store it was definitely intimidating. Believe me, the size is worth it. I could NEVER go back to the Pre or any phone that size again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    The evo seems like its big at first. When I saw it at the Sprint store it was definitely intimidating. Believe me, the size is worth it. I could NEVER go back to the Pre or any phone that size again.
    Kinda feel the same way about the Epic 4G. You adjust to the size quickly. Then, Pre-sized screens just seem...well....wrong.
    haha when i look at my gf's old pre it almost feels comical...as if someone smushed the screen. Hard to explain but you really get used to a big screen once you use it for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Kinda feel the same way about the Epic 4G. You adjust to the size quickly. Then, Pre-sized screens just seem...well....wrong.
    That's because you had some practice balancing the evo in one hand, kinda like learning to ride a bicycle. Or you just use two hands
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by olidie View Post
    Same here. I went to my local store and fiddled with the epic. Gorgeous screen, solidly built, and very snappy. I'm not a fan of landscape keyboards. But man, that is one beautiful device. I was very tempted. Only reason I held back was, it did not have the same emotional pull on me as the pre and webOS. I just do not think I'll enjoy it has much, even though it's a way better phone.

My only hope is that within the next six months, we do not keep saying the same thing, "If only we had a better hardware., then webOS..."

I love webOS and will always do. Six months from now and we still don't have a super phone to really compete with the big dogs, I'm not saying. But it is going to happen.

I'm a huge WebOS fan, but the battery life of Pre is tough for me. I can say that once you get used to a nice landscape keyboard, like the Touch Pro 2, it's hard to go back to small keys. You get ridiculously fast on a large keyboard like that, even though TP2 is a horrible mess of software issues. My dilemma is now that both Android 2.2 and Windows Phone 7 will soon have similar landscape keyboard form factors, both of which look to be very capable OS's, and no Sprint Pre 2 in sight...what to do?

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post

The HTC Merge and HTC 7 Pro are really looking impressive if you're willing to move to Android 2.2 or Windows Phone 7. Plus, with HTC's awesome onscreen keyboard like on the Touch Pro 2, you get the option to use the onscreen one easily with one or two hands, then use the hard keyboard with both hands for longer emails. The HTC onscreen keyboard is terrific with the long-press alternate key features, that iPhone and a lot of other slab phones don't have.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    Once I found out that sprint wasn't even getting the refreshed Pre.(My pre was starting to make clicking noises and freaking out when I would press the touchscreen)
    I decided to go to EVO for now. I will never go back to such a small screen!. I thought the size would bug me at least somewhat but it does not bug me at all.

I just pray that Hp releases something in the 3.8 -4.3 area so I can come back to Webos.

On a side note Android for me at least was surprisingly easy to get used to. I had been exposed to it before but actually using it for a day wasn't as bad as I thought. I just had to tell myself no swiping use buttons.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre686 View Post
    starting to make clicking noises and freaking out

My prom date used to do that, too.

I'm a HUGE WebOS fan, but after the touchscreen took a crap on me I was goofing around withe the EVO 4G and kinda like it. It's not as easy to navigate through but to have zoom in camera mode, choices of what res to use in video mode, TONS of free apps, 8 megapixals, front facing also, great hardware...but dang this thing is huge! Hopefully HPalm comes out with an awesome superphone, I'll be all over it. My palm was 1.5 yrs old and it had NO problems but started just powering off, and the touchscreen stopped working and no one could figure it out....then there's the $100 deduct crap.

Also, it's worth mentioning that the glass is very easy to replace if it gets damaged or scratched.
    Last edited by callderek; 10/26/2010 at 08:12 PM.
    I jumped to an EVO about 2 weeks ago. I like the size of it, and hardware. But Android is just not as robust as WebOS. The stock calendar, messaging and email programs all have glitches. After a week of posting on Android Central it appears that everyone knows the problems exist. No one uses the stock apps. This is very different than the experience I was expecting.

Bottom line, you cannot use an Android device without rooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetrains View Post
    I jumped to an EVO about 2 weeks ago. I like the size of it, and hardware. But Android is just not as robust as WebOS. The stock calendar, messaging and email programs all have glitches. After a week of posting on Android Central it appears that everyone knows the problems exist. No one uses the stock apps. This is very different than the experience I was expecting.

Absurd. I have been using an unrooted Epic 4G for a few weeks now, and it is quite usable, not to mention robust. I did put on Launcher Pro, but that is just for minimal aesthetics and versatility.

I use Gmail, so the stock Gmail app murders the Pre for me. In the same time it takes for the program to come up on the Pre and for me to swipe away ONE email and to wait for others to move up, I can have launched Gmail, tap-checked four new emails that are of no value to me, and deleted them and moved on to the next app.

I have no problems with the stock messaging or calendar, but I installed Handcent because I prefer the aesthetics for messaging. No patches. No ROMs. A fully landscape and portrait OS, even on the homescreens. There is no OS I know of that gives you the options of Android out-of-the-box.
    No one uses the stock apps.
    Isn't it great to have choices and not be stuck with whatever the manufacturer thinks is best for you?

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

haha just kidding.....but seriously really? Why do you need to root an android device? And the stock applications are fine, 3rd party ones are just more robust.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    What are the problems with the stock calendar and messaging apps? I've been happy with both but now it seems I'm missing out on something??
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    What are the problems with the stock calendar and messaging apps? I've been happy with both but now it seems I'm missing out on something??
    There is nothing wrong.

I use stock calender, but i use handscent for messaging just because thats what i prefer. But the stock messaging app is still very good.
    Sigh. Silly me. I've been using my un-rooted Evo for more than a couple of months now only to realize that I've been doing something that is not possible. Either I need to stop doing the impossible or you need to stop participating in those "puff puff, give" rotations.

I think you meant Webos device.

I sound like a broken record anymore on these forums but: What an absolutely silly comment.

An unrooted Evo is very much so comparable to a rooted Evo.

Are there advantages to rooting? Of course! If not, people wouldn't bother.

But it's pretty much an absolute requirement, to have any kind of enjoyable experience, to hack your Webos phone.

Again we have people making unsubstantiated claims either..

A) Because they don't know what they're talking about and/or have never used it

or

B) Because they are blind by their bias for Webos/palm.

Here's an illustration for ya just incase you don't understand still:

Benefits of rooting an Evo takes the Evo from a 90/100 to a 98/100

Benefits of hacking and installing the uberkernal on the pre takes the pre from a 30/100 to a 70/100.

Listen, I don't mind people posting their opinions. That's what this is, it's a forum for ideas and opinions.
    That's fine.
    But please, for the love of ****ing god, do NOT post when you clearly have no idea what you're speaking of.
    At the very least, please stick to what you at least have SOME knowledge of.

This and other posts are just ridiculous.
    Having someone say that android sucks because "it requires task killers" is of the same caliber.
    Android does NOT require task killers.
    They are actually counterproductive.

Read, experience and understand.
    Then make a post.
    Not before.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 10/27/2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: spell correction
    Perhaps the Android fan club should spend a few moments on Android central and try and respond to mine (or any of the dozen other threads) having to do with the following:

-corrupted email inboxes with stock email app. When using more than one email address, the stock app will begin to overlay messages from one box to another. the only solution to one by one delete all accounts affected and replace them. The only other option is another email app, because there is no fix for the stock app.

-the stock messaging app not supporting IM, and frequently sending sms messages to the wrong contact. Again, ever response is "well I uses xxxx program for that." No one can explain why the stock app does this.

- explain why the calendar will not load the entire Google calendar. It will only show your user data, not the added calendars in your Google calendar. And don't expect to load a Yahoo calendar.

All of sudden everyone wants to speak volumes on how great Android is, but no one on Android Central can respond to these very real problems. Having used smart phones for many years now, and many devices, I feel qualified to say there are bugs in those programs (well, except the calendar one, that is something Google has turned off.)

And one more point. Why do Android lovers all sound like kool-aid drinkers on the attack? Seriously? The general manner in which people to respond on the Pre forum is very civilized. But all the Android fan boys are worse the Apple geeks.
    Perhaps the Android fan club should spend a few moments on Android central and try and respond to mine (or any of the dozen other threads) having to do with the following:

-corrupted email inboxes with stock email app. When using more than one email address, the stock app will begin to overlay messages from one box to another. the only solution to one by one delete all accounts affected and replace them. The only other option is another email app, because there is no fix for the stock app.

-the stock messaging app not supporting IM, and frequently sending sms messages to the wrong contact. Again, ever response is "well I uses xxxx program for that." No one can explain why the stock app does this.

- explain why the calendar will not load the entire Google calendar. It will only show your user data, not the added calendars in your Google calendar. And don't expect to load a Yahoo calendar.

All of sudden everyone wants to speak volumes on how great Android is, but no one on Android Central can respond to these very real problems. Having used smart phones for many years now, and many devices, I feel qualified to say there are bugs in those programs (well, except the calendar one, that is something Google has turned off.)

And one more point. Why do Android lovers all sound like kool-aid drinkers on the attack? Seriously? The general manner in which people to respond on the Pre forum is very civilized. But all the Android fan boys are worse the Apple geeks.

Problem one: I've never had that issue. I have two gmail accounts on my gmail app. I have four other accounts on my mail app. Never anything like what you're describing.

Problem two: Doesn't support IM? Explain? Also, never had that issue. But I don't use the stock app. I use Handcent because I prefer to customize.

Problem three: No experience with this but it seems like something that needs improvement.

If those are your three complaints when it comes to the OS then you really, seriously better rethink your overall opinion of it because...those are minor, minor issues.

Also:
    Why do Android lovers all sound like kool-aid drinkers on the attack? Seriously? The general manner in which people to respond on the Pre forum is very civilized. But all the Android fan boys are worse the Apple geeks.

Have you ever read a thread on these forums?
    If it's not in favor of Webos people either jump all over you or threads get closed.
    See: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...artphones.html

The amount of absolutely absurd claims on these forums doubles or triples may be even quadruples the amount of absurd claims made on the android forums.

There are some SERIOUSLY blind people that post here.

I'm not a "fan-boy" of android.
    I used to love Webos. I moved on after my 12th Pre due to crappy quality.
    I've used the Evo for almost 3 months and it will be hard for me to go back to Webos, if I ever do.
    I hated android.
    I hated onscreen keyboards.
    But I still gave it a try because of the 30 day return policy with Sprint.

Once I put the thing into my hand I never had a thought of returning it. Period.

Silly insults aside, I've never gone through any of the issues you speak of partly because I don't do any of those things. I have no idea why "rooting" would solve any of these problems like your messaging app not supporting IM. It's well known that Android uses separate apps for GTalk/IM and SMS/MMS. Maybe that'll change at some point. Can't say it's meant much to me. Or "sending messages to the wrong contact". I've owned HTC and Samsung phones and used both the stock app and Handcent on each. Never had or even heard of that problem.

Hope you find answers.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast