Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    People will find reasons. I'd do it just on principle so I could always be able install the latest stuff on it and well, because it's there and I can. It's really not a big deal to ponder OMG WHY about. Personally, looking at the process on another device is actually pretty appealing, I'm kind of bored right now. The only thing that really irritated me about the root scene on Android was that it was hard to search and navigate b/c there was so much **** on there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    What reason would have you have root your phone? (other than switching roms?)

I honestly can't find another reason for myself unless you really like to get under the hood of these devices with like over clocking your CPU and such.

Either way, took about 15 minutes for me to ROOT my evo. Everyone makes it out to be the hardest thing in the world, but it was just copy and pasting into the cmd prompt.
    Root = Free mobile hotspot correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    That's one advantage.
    another launch day pre user here that moved to the EVO (just 30 days ago). I was only on my third pre but could not take the hardware any longer. At first I really did not enjoy Android although after 30 days of heavy use I am beginning to like the new phone/OS. I really like being able to watch the day time NLCS games (slingbox) and being able to carry my 25 GB music library with me. The larger screen is amazing when watching movies on a plane although a pain when in a long conversation.

I still miss webOS but no longer feel the loyalty to palm that I had through the palm III, V, TX days. I am loyal to no single OS and would love to come back to web OS if it suits my needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Yeah that is the main reason i did mine. (even though i barely use it...i just like having the option to use it.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Better kernels equal better performance/battery life. Better tethering, better backup program..etc..etc.etc.
    Well i was legit asking. Its not like any of the things above are bad on a stock evo or epic. So it sounds like he was more about the customizing of it, which a lot of that can be down with Launcher pro or something similar.
    Well i was legit asking. Its not like any of the things above are bad on a stock evo or epic. So it sounds like he was more about the customizing of it, which a lot of that can be down with Launcher pro or something similar.
    Ascetic changes are more based on the launcher but the down and dirty stuff is what rooting is for.

I can use as little as one percent an hour with this kernel I'm using on my Evo.
    You lucked out... I went through 12 in a 12 month period.
    It's crazy how many stories I see here on the forums about being on the 7th or here even 12th Pre.
    I'm still on my first Pre - a year old now. No oreo, no cracking screen, no problems.

Mine must have come from the good assembly line. :-)
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    It's crazy how many stories I see here on the forums about being on the 7th or here even 12th Pre.
    I'm still on my first Pre - a year old now. No oreo, no cracking screen, no problems.

I have no idea man. You definitely have some awesome luck.

My mom has been using my 12th replacement Pre for two months now. There are three different areas of the Pre that have "stress fractures" where, quite literally, about 25% of the face is eventually going to break off.
    This is a woman that has NEVER, in her 8 years of having Sprint service, EVER used her insurance for a replacement phone. She has NEVER dropped her phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I am not a girl and evo does not fit in my hand. I think I would have to a normal phone too.
    You do realize that the EVO is actually a bit shorter than an open Pre? It's just about a wash in regards to the thickness, and it really isn't all that much wider.

You must have some really small hands there friend. Even my wife has no trouble using her EVO.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    You do realize that the EVO is actually a bit shorter than an open Pre? It's just about a wash in regards to the thickness, and it really isn't all that much wider.

You must have some really small hands there friend. Even my wife has no trouble using her EVO.
    You do realize that if your Pre is open, your hands are probably around the keyboard and not using the touchscreen functions, which effectively means the only part of the phone you're holding is th keyboard, right? Which is why I always ask devs to put any buttons near the bottom of the screen.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    The ONLY time i find the phone a bit big, is when there is a small button on the top left of the phone (i hold my phone mostly with my right hand) so i have to shuffle my hand up to reach it with one hand.

But that is rare since most buttons are in the men pop out.

On the matter of the Pre, i went through 4. First one had the headset issue before there was a solution found. Swapped it out. My next one woudl repeat letters when i pressed them. Swapped out....got a new one that actaulyl seemed fine, but i was getting these weird voicemails in spanish. Turned out that sprint activated the wrong number to my device. They called me up...offered me $100 off my next bill, and gave me a new in box Palm Pre. That one was the best feeling hardware wise EXCEPT the space bar was very firm. It eventually worked down (or i got used to it) in the middle so i didn't notice it as much. But yeah, many a trips to sprint stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post

Yep, same here. Day one Pre, still in great shape.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I am not a girl and evo does not fit in my hand. I think I would have to a normal phone too.
    if you can pick the phone up I'd consider that fitting in your hand,
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post

you need to stop, that is one big phone
    What reason would have you have root your phone? (other than switching roms?)...
    From the Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks:

Applications

Requires Root
    ShootMe : Screenshots
    AdFree : Ads disappear - this alone is worth rooting.
    Titanium Backup : "Freeze" apps without uninstalling. Backup to SDcard. Needs BusyBox.
    Android Commander runs on your PC - copy files to/from PC without DiskDrive mode.

also...

Battery Life Tips and Tricks

SetCPU
    Advanced users who have rooted can gain more control (If you don't know what "rooted" means, skip this section). Programs like SetCPU (more info) allow profiles can be set up to give you more power when you need it and save battery when possible as in this example:
    Charging/Full profile: Keep the CPU speed higher when on a charger and the battery is full: 998 max, 768 min, performance.
    Screen Off profile: Keep the CPU speed lower when the display is off: 576 max, 245 min, ondemand
    Ascetic changes are more based on the launcher but the down and dirty stuff is what rooting is for.

I can use as little as one percent an hour with this kernel I'm using on my Evo.
    Which one are you using?
    I used my renewal for another brand new Pre and I don't regret it a bit. I hate how Sprint & Palm are doin us Sprint users, but WebOS on crappy hardware is still better than Android on awesome hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Which one are you using?
    Kernel- netarchy-toastmod, Stable: 4.1.9.1

[GPL][Kernel]netarchy-toastmod, Stable: 4.1.9.1 Preview: 5.0-p3 (2.6.34.5 based) - xda-developers

Rom- [ROM] 9/23/10 | Fresh Evo 3.3.0.1 | New OTA Base + FPS Unlock + Fresh Goodies - xda-developers

Keep in mind, 1% an hour is with very little usage for that hour. Still impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    if you can pick the phone up I'd consider that fitting in your hand,
    That is funny
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast