Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    You think you are mad? Everyone is laughing at these moves that HP has made...everyone...

Check out the comments on Engadget's article...Palm gets official with webOS 2.0 and Pre 2: hitting France on Friday, Verizon 'in the coming months' -- Engadget
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 10/19/2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: LANGUAGE - please edit auto censored posts
    My Patches
    -Change Number of Bookmarks.patch
    -Change Carrier String and Color of Carrier String and Date/Time.patch
    -Increase Top Bar Font Size.patch

If you appreciate the work or comments somebody has done, then use the thanks button to let them know!

"Freedom isn't free"
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    They should be laughed at.

Their "next gen" device has the same tiny screen, the same crappy resolution, the same tired design, a minorly upped camera, no front facing camera, no hdmi out, the same 8GB unexpandable memory, the same lack of a virtual keyboard, etc.

The Pre Plus was a glorified Pre, and the Pre 2 is a glorified Pre Plus. Neither of which were respectable enough for a "2nd version" of a phone, let alone a "2nd version" that's almost 2 years now in the making.
    I think the first comment sums up today's announcements quite nicely. Sorry, I wasn't impressed and as a Sprint user, I'm not too keen on letting my upgrade languish for six more months.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    They are right... and the Pre faithful now reset and look forward to CES for something. Then.. if underwhelmed at CES, they will look to the summer "anniversary" for a new release.

Don't forget they can use the "this was in the pipeline for months" excuse...

HP isn't making it easy
    They should laugh, and you know who should be upset. Sprint Pre owners. We are getting shafted. It would make more sense for original Pre owners to get this upgrade since it would make a difference for us. Pre Plus owners, why would they upgrade to essentially the same phone?! Because it has Skype? HPalm couldn't be screwing themselves more with this. Not only is the phone not in demand due to Android and the Iphone, but you tick off your original fanbase as well. Great business plan HP.
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmartino2011 View Post
    You think you are mad? Everyone is laughing at these moves that HP has made...everyone...
    Ha, i was wondering why the mad was in italics...I don't even remember what I wrote, but thanks for making it PC (pun intended) for me.
    My Patches
    -Change Number of Bookmarks.patch
    -Change Carrier String and Color of Carrier String and Date/Time.patch
    -Increase Top Bar Font Size.patch

If you appreciate the work or comments somebody has done, then use the thanks button to let them know!

"Freedom isn't free"
    webos 2.0+ does need to be in the market and the wild to prove itself for a bit. I got the pre cause it was small, but they only think a slab will be any competition. I'm starting to agree
    Every review that comes out will hammer this device. If...if HP had something better coming CES, then they should've waited. The Pre 2 will only hurt HP, not help. If HP was attempting to rebrand then they took a few steps back.

It's amateur hour over at HP. Maybe its not too late to give MS a call? At least MS requires a minimum level of hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by homerlanza View Post
    They should laugh, and you know who should be upset. Sprint Pre owners. We are getting shafted. It would make more sense for original Pre owners to get this upgrade since it would make a difference for us. Pre Plus owners, why would they upgrade to essentially the same phone?! Because it has Skype? HPalm couldn't be screwing themselves more with this. Not only is the phone not in demand due to Android and the Iphone, but you tick off your original fanbase as well. Great business plan HP.
    I agree really is disappointing for us Sprint Pre people or Pre-ple as it were.

I guess they hope the loss of some of the orginal base will be balanced by new customers who may not even heard of the Pre.
    The commenters on Engadget are laughing because they are Android *******, not because they have any sort of respectable opinions on anything. That's the reason I don't read the comments there anymore - because it's always constant fanbickering and I honestly couldn't give less.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/19/2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: language
    The criticism seems fair to me. As a Sprint Pre user who has been eligible for an upgrade since July, what am I really supposed to do here? Even if the Pre 2 comes to Sprint, I can't justify using my upgrade on this. It's like my old desktop computer that I've had since 2003. I just keep adding RAM and newer components, but it's clear that it is just outdated.
    Quote Originally Posted by boerner View Post
    The criticism seems fair to me. As a Sprint Pre user who has been eligible for an upgrade since July, what am I really supposed to do here? Even if the Pre 2 comes to Sprint, I can't justify using my upgrade on this. It's like my old desktop computer that I've had since 2003. I just keep adding RAM and newer components, but it's clear that it is just outdated.
    I have the same exact issue. If after CES, I see nothing coming then I think it is time for a change. I have stuck with this phone, sang Palms praises, etc. Seems like it is all for naught.
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Every review that comes out will hammer this device. If...if HP had something better coming CES, then they should've waited. The Pre 2 will only hurt HP, not help. If HP was attempting to rebrand then they took a few steps back.

It's amateur hour over at HP. Maybe its not too late to give MS a call? At least MS requires a minimum level of hardware.
    Yup. This is the worst execution I've seen of a phone launch in some time. Arriving at Verizon in "the coming months" via some press releases and a bunch of embargoed reviews? No event. No gala relaunch. Nothing to the Sprint people who kept the flame alive for some time. Just a moderate hardware refresh?

It's funny you mention MS because this reminds me of nothing so much as Windows Mobile 6.5, which dropped around this same time last year only to be put out to pasture by Windows Phone 7 announcements a few months later.
    here's my beef with everyone: Everyone seems to think that HP needs to take an EVO, slap an HP logo on it and clone android's operating system. I don't want a huge slab... my friends with Evo's just look awkward one handing the device. This is a good step forward and I can almost guarantee that there is a sprint 4g device waiting for us on or before CES and that it's probably the slab that everyone seems to want. I personally would like more choice than Giga-monster-slab or Giga-monster-slab-with-slide-out-keyboard. I also think the bigger announcement is that WebOS 2.0 is coming out and has made the OS seemingly feature complete finally. I like that.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I don't mind the Pre2 - it certainly has everything I need but as much as an improvement the Pre 2 is over the original Pre I'm not upgrading to this even if Sprint get it. It has what I need but not what I desire. I get keeping the same basic shape/format, but not updating the resolution, not adding a front camera, and not increasing the size of the phone so we get a 3.5 inch screen make upgrading for another 2 yr contract too much of a leap for me. The Pre 2 would have been an acceptable release in June but by the end of the year, compared to the competition it will be aged, with the competition releasing new devices with better specs right just around the corner.

I'm hopeful that the reason Sprint seem to be unlikely to carry the Pre2 is because they know a better, post acquisition developed, device is coming in late Q1/2011 and they would rather wait for that device. I guess we'll see come CES whether or not this will play out.

As for WebOS 2.0, I like what I see so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Contradude View Post
    here's my beef with everyone: Everyone seems to think that HP needs to take an EVO, slap an HP logo on it and clone android's operating system. I don't want a huge slab... my friends with Evo's just look awkward one handing the device. This is a good step forward and I can almost guarantee that there is a sprint 4g device waiting for us on or before CES and that it's probably the slab that everyone seems to want. I personally would like more choice than Giga-monster-slab or Giga-monster-slab-with-slide-out-keyboard. I also think the bigger announcement is that WebOS 2.0 is coming out and has made the OS seemingly feature complete finally. I like that.
    You think a good step forward is a mild refresh via press release with a release window of "in the coming months"? You think WebOS 2.0 is feature complete despite no mention of a fully GPU-accelerated UI, still slow boot and load times, and the calendar and email apps remaining barebones? Is the email even in landscape yet?
    No, they need to take something a little smaller than an EVO or Epic, slap an HP logo on it, and refine webOS 2.0 to be a more capable operating system in regards to features and apps.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912
    the calendar and email apps remaining barebones? Is the email even in landscape yet?
    Who knows, Dieter didn't bother to really go into details, HOPEFULLY, he'll get to it. Those apps are so embarrassing.

And slap voice support on there please. I don't actually care about voice commands, but my mom's $99 StraightTalk phone has voice commands AND announces the name of the person calling. Come on, Palm, seriously...
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM

Yes some people want the smaller form factor like the pre but a lot of people want bigger. So if Palm hopes to stay relevant in the Market and not just cater to the smaller group of people who want both a keyboard and a smaller size then they need to release something that captures people's attention.

I don't think they should get rid of the PRE form factor necessarily as some people like it a lot but they need something to spark intrest into customers so that they buy into WebOS and give it chance to see how great it is.

I like my pre just fine. (Besides the fact that it is cracking and fallen apart) and I would think about Upgrading to a PRe2 if it was an option on sprint. Alas it is not so I now have to look for other options in case my phone decides to die because I'm not buying hardware that is almost 1.5 years old now(From debut at CES). 1.5 years in tech industry is a millenia!
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You think a good step forward is a mild refresh via press release with a release window of "in the coming months"? You think WebOS 2.0 is feature complete despite no mention of a fully GPU-accelerated UI, still slow boot and load times, and the calendar and email apps remaining barebones? Is the email even in landscape yet?
    To be fair, mikah912...what good is landscape email when we have a physical vertical keyboard

As for the mild refresh I'm with you - I think HP would have been better off killing the Pre2 and putting 100% focus on a new post acquisition developed device for release at CES. The Pre2 does have what I need, but as I said in an earlier post - what I want is stuff I desire or didn't know I would want.
    I'm not getting the OP's issue and why you included that Engadget link. The article doesn't have a single negative thing in it about webOS and is simply an overview.
    Many people believe the Pre2 being released is the device that Palm already had in the works when HP came along. There is no way that HP could move a device from drawing board to prototype to production this quickly unless it had already been over half way there. There have been a lot of discussions in the past foretelling and guessing that an 'interim' device would be released before HP would be able to ramp up and really start changing hardware. No need to get so upset - it's only a phone. People are getting so wound up and making "i can't believe it doesn't have/do this"...when you haven't even seen one or had one in your hands. For those who don't like waiting, try another phone and/or platform. Like the old saying goes "you don't know what you got 'till it's gone". You can always come back to webOS....
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast