Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Cubed View Post
    I dont know what carrier you are on but the Pre2 from what I understand is supposed to take care all of our hardware concerns for the Pre line. I am on Sprint and even if the Pre2 came to Sprint I dont think I would get it anyways... even though apparently refreshed hardware I would rather hold out for the HP phone.

BTW Android OS sucks, yes everything is smooth most of the time but atleast WebOS is marginally better at managing its memory resources.

Question... How many times have you loaded up task killer today?
    Two comments.

1) Just because the Pre 2 is "supposed to" do something doesn't mean it will.

2) Android does NOT require task killers. After about 1.5 task killers became completely pointless and actually more detrimental. Using a task killer actually uses more battery as well.
    Google removed the ability, in 2.2, to end more than one task at a time. This was to avoid idiots from being idiots.
    Using a task killer is ONLY necessary when the App is "misbehaving" which is EXTREMELY rare.

Rolling back a few pages you can see my other comment on this task killer matter:
    http://forums.precentral.net/2726389-post132.html
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 10/27/2010 at 04:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    an, now you are bringing in a whole different argument here, and one which is WAY OFF BASE. whose to define what one's productivity is?
    we all have different jobs, different life situations, different uses of our things. i am way more productive with my pre plus than I am without it. THATS ALL THAT MATTERS. since I got the phone in jan, the app catalog has grown and I have all the apps that I need to remain "productive." need a drug reference- got epocrates. need to check email as they arrive or sync my calenders? done. need to have all my contacts in one place? done. need to "quickdial"- i use quick contacts. need to look up a nearby hotel? where and hotelsbyme. need to look up restaurants- have yelp, where, zagat, trip advisor, goodfood, ypmobile, and others. need to look up a movie-fandango and flixster. need to look up real estate- mobile webpages for zillow and trulia, along with the "real estate" app. need to track a package- "pack n track." need visual voicemail- youview. need to download a new song-amazon mp3. need cloud services-dropboxify and zumodrive. need to listen to music- pandora, grooveshark, slacker, accuradio, tuneIn, stitcher. need to catch the lastest podcast? i use dr. podder. need to look up a medical topic-uptodate.com. need to look up an ICD code? ICD9, same for CPT codes. twitter- tons of apps. facebook app? terrific. need to look up weather? weather channel, accuweather, aniweather, etc. netflix queue? MyQ. redbox? reboxed. password security? i use jvault. news? nytimes, newsweek, forbes, and countless mobile website. map of nyc? TmapsNY. translate another language? i use "translator" need to calculate mortgage/car loan/any loan? i use calcessentials. Maps? YPmobile, google maps, and BFG maps. look up a video? youtube app. url shortener? bit.ly. look up a flight? flightview. look up moonphases? mooninfo. look up sports scores as they happen? sports live. tip calculator? too many to count. ereader? preader and ebooks by kobo get the job done for me. message with other webOS owners? mojomessenger. entertain my kid with my phone? TONS OF GAMES. need doc editing or old palm OS apps- classic. speed up my phone on the fly? govnah. install homebrew apps? preware. memo/notes app better than the preinstalled one? Notes.
    And all these things would benefit from larger screens, better specs, and professional quality apps. High resolution displays allow you to work with more on-screen data. Better specs increase performance. A large selection of apps to choose from allow you to pick and choose the programs that make you most productive rather than simply settling for the only thing you have available to you.

There's a much larger world out there. One that can't be contained in a 480x320 display.
    an, now you are bringing in a whole different argument here, and one which is WAY OFF BASE. whose to define what one's productivity is?
    we all have different jobs, different life situations, different uses of our things. i am way more productive with my pre plus than I am without it. THATS ALL THAT MATTERS. since I got the phone in jan, the app catalog has grown and I have all the apps that I need to remain "productive." need a drug reference- got epocrates. need to check email as they arrive or sync my calenders? done. need to have all my contacts in one place? done. need to "quickdial"- i use quick contacts. need to look up a nearby hotel? where and hotelsbyme. need to look up restaurants- have yelp, where, zagat, trip advisor, goodfood, ypmobile, and others. need to look up a movie-fandango and flixster. need to look up real estate- mobile webpages for zillow and trulia, along with the "real estate" app. need to track a package- "pack n track." need visual voicemail- youview. need to download a new song-amazon mp3. need cloud services-dropboxify and zumodrive. need to listen to music- pandora, grooveshark, slacker, accuradio, tuneIn, stitcher. need to catch the lastest podcast? i use dr. podder. need to look up a medical topic-uptodate.com. need to look up an ICD code? ICD9, same for CPT codes. twitter- tons of apps. facebook app? terrific. need to look up weather? weather channel, accuweather, aniweather, etc. netflix queue? MyQ. redbox? reboxed. password security? i use jvault. news? nytimes, newsweek, forbes, and countless mobile website. map of nyc? TmapsNY. translate another language? i use "translator" need to calculate mortgage/car loan/any loan? i use calcessentials. Maps? YPmobile, google maps, and BFG maps. look up a video? youtube app. url shortener? bit.ly. look up a flight? flightview. look up moonphases? mooninfo. look up sports scores as they happen? sports live. tip calculator? too many to count. ereader? preader and ebooks by kobo get the job done for me. message with other webOS owners? mojomessenger. entertain my kid with my phone? TONS OF GAMES. need doc editing or old palm OS apps- classic. speed up my phone on the fly? govnah. install homebrew apps? preware. memo/notes app better than the preinstalled one? Notes.

which reminds me, my wife wanted a note app on her droid 2- none came pre-installed. i went to the app market and was bombarded with may 50 or more apps. most had good reviews. which one do I choose? I lost time figuring out which one to download, so I downloaded a few of them for her to try out. so much for productivity! epocrates also doesnt work properly for phone.

point is, if you havent figured it out from my rant above, we all have our own definitions of productivity, and with my pre plus, I am very productive in what I do.
    So one of your complaints is too many good choices?

Also, homebrew is nice but it should not be a requirement for the phone to function on the same level as others.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    And all these things would benefit from larger screens, better specs, and professional quality apps. High resolution displays allow you to work with more on-screen data. Better specs increase performance. A large selection of apps to choose from allow you to pick and choose the programs that make you most productive rather than simply settling for the only thing you have available to you.

There's a much larger world out there. One that can't be contained in a 480x320 display.
    nah, thats what you think. ive been productive with a smaller display than my pre plus- saga, treo 700p. how does having a bigger screen or bigger resolution screen make me any more productive? these are MOBILE phones. webOS has top notch multi-tasking. I dont need an excess of onscreen data. thats what computers and tablets are for. thats where my free mobile hot spot kicks in. like i said, everyone's definition of productivity is different- in your line of work, having a bigger screen on your PHONE may make YOU more productive, but that doesnt mean it makes others more productive.
    nah, thats what you think. ive been productive with a smaller display than my pre plus- saga, treo 700p. how does having a bigger screen or bigger resolution screen make me any more productive? these are MOBILE phones. webOS has top notch multi-tasking. I dont need an excess of onscreen data. thats what computers and tablets are for. thats where my free mobile hot spot kicks in. like i said, everyone's definition of productivity is different- in your line of work, having a bigger screen on your PHONE may make YOU more productive, but that doesnt mean it makes others more productive.
    Saying that you've been able to be productive on smaller screens doesn't mean that you couldn't and wouldn't be more productive with a bigger screen.

Unfortunately for you, although you're right its a matter of preference, most people's preference is a big screen.

With all due respect,
    Palm has been following it's followers when it comes to these sorts of things for far too long.

You can see with the attached graph how well that's been doing for them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mdsmartphone, how do you edit word and excel files on your pre? You still don't. I had to use my Moment as a wifi device so I could send invoices and faxes via docs to go. Also, editing docs and spreadsheets would just be torture on the Pre's small screen. The larger screen and higher resolution is just a plus for doc viewing and editing. Add in the lack of an easy way to navigate through text quickly, and it'd be even worse. The cursor keys on the Epic's keyboard get used quite a bit I DocsToGo. Another reason why an embedded trackpad would've been perfect on the Pre.

Youview? The rest of the world is using google voice. Why should a user have to deal with a workaround to use google voice properly? Why should a user have to pay for you view to get comparable functionality that's free on google voice? And why should any user need a workaround at all to get visual voicemail period?

And nappy makes good points. To add to it, webOS doesn't have built in syncable notes either. The kicker is PalmOS did, yet they ditched it along with many other features just to sync easy with google, which is funny because you can't even fully utilize other google services like GV.

And live info? You can download app after app you need to launch or keep open. I prefer to have a few widgets with the live info I need right on my homescreen that's never more than one swipe away. And the most important ones are front and center on my main screen so they're always visible.

I like webOS for it's polish and elegance. Multitasking is a bit nicer, but it really doesn't provide any real advantage for daily use (for me). Email and messaging are definitely more polished, and is pretty much the only thing I miss about webOS. But I can do batch email.operations easier on Android than can with webOS. The rest of it is just as functional if not more so, and the additional functionality and better hardware just seals the deal.

Outside of just bug fixes and efficiencies, the only thing I see in webOS 2.0 is Stacks, and in the grand scheme, that just doesn't really do it for me. I might keep 2 to 3 apps open at a time. I care more about lag and long load times, and keeping cards open is not the solution. So my Pre will remain a wifi bedside device. It does that well.
    <<Thread moved>>
    because it's turned into yet another android vs. Pre discussion.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Mdsmartphone, how do you edit word and excel files on your pre? You still don't. I had to use my Moment as a wifi device so I could send invoices and faxes via docs to go. Also, editing docs and spreadsheets would just be torture on the Pre's small screen. The larger screen and higher resolution is just a plus for doc viewing and editing. Add in the lack of an easy way to navigate through text quickly, and it'd be even worse. The cursor keys on the Epic's keyboard get used quite a bit I DocsToGo. Another reason why an embedded trackpad would've been perfect on the Pre.

Youview? The rest of the world is using google voice. Why should a user have to deal with a workaround to use google voice properly? Why should a user have to pay for you view to get comparable functionality that's free on google voice? And why should any user need a workaround at all to get visual voicemail period?

And nappy makes good points. To add to it, webOS doesn't have built in syncable notes either. The kicker is PalmOS did, yet they ditched it along with many other features just to sync easy with google, which is funny because you can't even fully utilize other google services like GV.

And live info? You can download app after app you need to launch or keep open. I prefer to have a few widgets with the live info I need right on my homescreen that's never more than one swipe away. And the most important ones are front and center on my main screen so they're always visible.

I like webOS for it's polish and elegance. Multitasking is a bit nicer, but it really doesn't provide any real advantage for daily use (for me). Email and messaging are definitely more polished, and is pretty much the only thing I miss about webOS. But I can do batch email.operations easier on Android than can with webOS. The rest of it is just as functional if not more so, and the additional functionality and better hardware just seals the deal.

Outside of just bug fixes and efficiencies, the only thing I see in webOS 2.0 is Stacks, and in the grand scheme, that just doesn't really do it for me. I might keep 2 to 3 apps open at a time. I care more about lag and long load times, and keeping cards open is not the solution. So my Pre will remain a wifi bedside device. It does that well.
    All strong points.

I agree with the comment on stacks as well.

As a user of the Pre for 12 months my response to stacks can be summed up as: why?
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post

You point out email.. But why do I need to have 2 email apps on my device to access all of my email account?

The native webos email app does what both email apps do combined on android.

And g-d forbid I choose to use 1 app .. (not the gmail app bc that's only for gmail) for imap push .. Bc you can't!

I'm sorry but android fails big time in this dept

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    From all reviews about the Pre 2, there was no problems with lag so that can't exactly be used as an excuse anymore.

And honestly, I don't understand all the complaining about the Pre's lag when I have used iPhones, Blackberry phones and Android phones that have had just as much lag. My friends who own these devices don't jailbreak or root and don't have a lot of 3rd party apps so there would be no reason for their phone to lag according to everyone's standards, yet they do. Go figure.

Also, it's not just Stacks; Exhibition and Just Type alone rejuvenate webOS. Finally, features like Spell Check and more APIs for developers mean that even more is possible in terms of apps.
    I am, therefore I think
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    From all reviews about the Pre 2, there was no problems with lag so that can't exactly be used as an excuse anymore.

And honestly, I don't understand all the complaining about the Pre's lag when I have used iPhones, Blackberry phones and Android phones that have had just as much lag. My friends who own these devices don't jailbreak or root and don't have a lot of 3rd party apps so there would be no reason for their phone to lag according to everyone's standards, yet they do. Go figure.

Also, it's not just Stacks; Exhibition and Just Type alone rejuvenate webOS. Finally, features like Spell Check and more APIs for developers mean that even more is possible in terms of apps.
    Low end android phones may have the lag comparable to a stock pre..that's all.

Also, be careful.
    I couldn't care less what a review about a product that most reviewers haven't even touched says.
    Hell, even if they did.
    How many of those reviewers said anything about the quality of the Pre?

Just because a phone is "supposed to" do something doesn't mean it will.

You have to see after release to see the truth.

That's why, besides for the Pre [which was a stupid choice] I NEVER buy ANYTHING technology related on release day.

I waited two months to get the Evo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Low end android phones may have the lag comparable to a stock pre..that's all.

Also, be careful.
    I couldn't care less what a review about a product that most reviewers haven't even touched says.
    Hell, even if they did.
    How many of those reviewers said anything about the quality of the Pre?

Just because a phone is "supposed to" do something doesn't mean it will.

You have to see after release to see the truth.

That's why, besides for the Pre [which was a stupid choice] I NEVER buy ANYTHING technology related on release day.

I waited two months to get the Evo.
    No, I'm not talking just about low end android phones. Besides that comment wasn't just about android. I personally do not indulge in all these OS wars, I don't care to compare android, webos, iOS and all the others every time a new phone is released. People will use what works for them.

I also don't buy new tech when it's releases. I waited until Nov last year to get my Sprint Pre. I'm not trying to defend anything about the Pre. But I'm sick and tired of people complaining before they have information. And it's not just reviewers from webOS fan sites that give webOS 2.0 winning reviews. Josh from Engagdet, who everyone knows is sweet on Apple's kool-aid, can't say enough good things about the 2.0 update.

Of course, the hardware leaves a lot to be desired by many but at the same time, there are people who are happily willing to use a Pre 2.
    I am, therefore I think
    No, I'm not talking just about low end android phones. Besides that comment wasn't just about android. I personally do not indulge in all these OS wars, I don't care to compare android, webos, iOS and all the others every time a new phone is released. People will use what works for them.

I also don't buy new tech when it's releases. I waited until Nov last year to get my Sprint Pre. I'm not trying to defend anything about the Pre. But I'm sick and tired of people complaining before they have information. And it's not just reviewers from webOS fan sites that give webOS 2.0 winning reviews. Josh from Engagdet, who everyone knows is sweet on Apple's kool-aid, can't say enough good things about the 2.0 update.

Of course, the hardware leaves a lot to be desired by many but at the same time, there are people who are happily willing to use a Pre 2.
    All I'm trying to say about reviewers is: they can only give you part of the picture.

And honestly, I don't try to get in with the OS battles either but the fact is that people beg for it.

People make these ridiculous comments that just need to be replied to.
    @crogs. Like I said, everyone's definitio of being productive is different. In my line of work as a physician, I don't need doc editing on my phone. Occasionally I need to view a doc, but that's it. That can be done with the pre. I sometimes need to make presentations, but absolutely no mobile phone can create presentations like desktop programs such as powerpoint can do. I've never used doc editing much on past phones that had the capability- palm OS phones with docs to go, and winmo phone with mobile office. If I needed those capabilities, then of course I would get a device that can do so.

my notes app can sync with google. There are people that sync their memos and notes with palm desktop and outlook.

this is not about how much better android is compared to webOS. This is about whether one can be as productive on webOS as they can be on android. And I am telling you, in my line of duty, I am. If I want a droid device, there are plenty out there for me. But I don't want one, simply because the pre plus gets the job done for me.

Can you give examples of the lag you mentioned on Android and iOS? I own both an Evo and iPhone 4 and experience zero lag on either device.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    You point out email.. But why do I need to have 2 email apps on my device to access all of my email account?

The native webos email app does what both email apps do combined on android.

And g-d forbid I choose to use 1 app .. (not the gmail app bc that's only for gmail) for imap push .. Bc you can't!

I'm sorry but android fails big time in this dept

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Android has two email programs for user convenience and choice. The mail program, by itself, handles multiple accounts, including Google mail, without the need for the GMail app. A Gmail-only user may just prefer to use the Gmail app exclusively. There are also excellent 3rd party email apps that have even more functions and capabilities than the native programs. And your IMAP idle comment just reeks of complete ignorance. It's great to have choices - embrace this concept, don't fear it.
    Different definitions of productive, but editing documents on a smartphone or pda has been standard for almost a decade. It's abysmal Palm/HP hasn't come up with a solution yet. In the past, it's probably been more of die hard feature as it's just not fun to edit on a 2-3" screen, but with 3.5-4.3" screens as well as a slide out keyboard to retain screen real estate, it's a heck of a lot easier. Selling to you folks (well hospitals mainly), I do my invoices now on my phone and email them off to fax machines for printing or to the respective people. I rarely open my laptop now for little things like that. And in time, quick edits to a ppt will be possible and with hdmi and dlna, using your phone for presentations is highly probable as well.

And yes, syncing notes is now done with work arounds and 3rd party solutions. It was once considered a stock type app that synced out of the box. It only became a hassle because Palm dropped it in favor of google syncing and a lackluster post it note app. Don't care how you look at it, it was a big step backwards in terms of core smartphone functionality. If you think differently then you're just an apologist considering Palm owners were syncing notes for 13yrs.

And while not important to you, editing docs is an important feature for many people in terms of smartphone productivity, and webOS is THE ONLY smartphone OS that does not support it. Again, another step backwards from their previous OS.

My other beef is navigation through text boxes and such. Much easier with a secondary form of navigation as opposed to holding down keys and using the touchscreen. it's just not accurate. Long emails or texts get to be a bear not to mention typing out something like this where roaming through the textbox could be necessary. Would also improve cut and paste as well. To me that's something that affects productivity.

On the medical side you're predominantly looking up info so your needs are surrounded by medical apps which is just an "availability" thing. And from what I've seen, and you have mentioned, most of the bases are covered. But having been in the orthopedic arena for over decade, I know two docs that use webOS and one just left for the Epic. His pre bit the dust and he decided to move on. The other was a resident who just tolerates it. Every person who had a Palm has moved on to iPhone, Android and BB (pretty much in that order too).

@crogs. Like I said, everyone's definitio of being productive is different. In my line of work as a physician, I don't need doc editing on my phone. Occasionally I need to view a doc, but that's it. That can be done with the pre. I sometimes need to make presentations, but absolutely no mobile phone can create presentations like desktop programs such as powerpoint can do. I've never used doc editing much on past phones that had the capability- palm OS phones with docs to go, and winmo phone with mobile office. If I needed those capabilities, then of course I would get a device that can do so.

my notes app can sync with google. There are people that sync their memos and notes with palm desktop and outlook.

this is not about how much better android is compared to webOS. This is about whether one can be as productive on webOS as they can be on android. And I am telling you, in my line of duty, I am. If I want a droid device, there are plenty out there for me. But I don't want one, simply because the pre plus gets the job done for me.
    sketch: from my whole post you choose email to complain about after I already said it was a shortcoming of android? There's a lot more "fail" to webOS than that one thing.

clayclay: Just Type is needed because it was mentioned about the difficulty of typing on a small keyboard. So why would you create an app to overcome a hardware deficiency instead of fixing the hardware in the next generation so the app isn't needed. Personally, I've had zero issues typing when it comes to accuracy. The fact that crap keyboard makes my fingers hurt is another issue entirely.

Exhibitions? seriously? The only times I use the touchstone are on the nightstand and in the car. In the car I stopped using it for charging because if the battery was low I couldn't use the phone except if it was on the touchstone. I prefer to have it plugged in so I can hold it in my hand and actually use it while it charges. At night, I don't need any functionality. It's just a clock on a stand while it charges. Rejuvenate? hardly.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    IDK, most apps I've seen on androind look like crap, just some guy coding that has no feel for aesthetics. Staight up text, nothing more. And add to that, although the screen is big, text is way to small and too much space is used up by other stuff and useless. Just my opinion from the apps my friend keeps trying to show off with an android.
    Last edited by sinime; 10/27/2010 at 10:08 PM.
    I should add, android doesn't look like a bad platform, just most (edit: the apps I've been shown) "android" devs have no eye for form and usability.

Edit: I should add that I spent a lot of time making my beer knurd app look good. Can't tell you how many iterations I went through and just didn't like it. Android devs seem to just shove stuff out the gate. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some webos apps like that, but with android it seems to be the norm and with webOS, it's the exception. Prbly why the android app cat. Is exploding... I can churn out crap apps to make you're head spin. But I don't because I have better morals.
    Last edited by sinime; 10/27/2010 at 09:54 PM.
    while I don't disagree about some apps looking bland, the post is a bit useless without app names. I can search the webOS app store and find some lackluster ones. Sounds like your friend just lacks discretion over what he thinks is cool and what actually looks cool.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast