Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Tons of people complain about it and how many problems they have with it... I have never heard one complaint about WebOS.. the hardware... yes! But never the software!

Case in point I was playing Angry Birds and this guy walks into the break room at my job and says "oh is that Angry Birds?! I was just playing that on my Droid X" Then not 5 minutes later he is complaining about all the trouble he is having with it... lol
    Ħ╬čųβ£Δ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Regarding the comments about needing to root Android phones to receive updates. Great. iPhone users can root their phones, too, but not everything works quite as smoothly (you know, crashes, lock ups, etc.)

When it comes to operating systems, I think you'll find at least 95% of all users will say they want their OS to "just work." The geeky and clunky Android interface, and the lack of official support for Android devices keeps them best utilized by a fringe element. In essence, Android = Linux. It will work okay for most main stream users, but only in the hands of a geek will it really shine, and you know what? Geeks like it that way. I don't think Android will stay a "geek" OS forever, and I fully expect Gingerbread to be a ground breaking improvement for Android phones, but will it be good enough? Android 3.0 will already be breaking all the OEM UI's that actually make Android phones good for normal people. Will it be up to the task of replacing those UIs?

In regard to application e-peen size, there are just a handful of apps I'd like to see on webOS devices which are currently available on Android devices. Having 20,000 fart applications does not impress me.
    There again, I had the pre from launch till evo's launch. Without rooting and patching the os didnt just work,( well i guess it did, but it sucked). I would imagine you have preware on you phone to help it out. And before you babies had preware, we had to shhh in and patch manually, you know, hack it for real. I do dabble with my evo, but it isn't neccesary, just something to do when I'm bored.

As for the idea about apps, I had the same opinion as most of you do. Also I had palm and windows phones before the pre, which had many more useful apps than the pre does. Anyway, I got my gal a moment, which changed the way I thought about the android app store. Are there many junk apps? Of course. But there's an uncountable amount of actual tools and useful apps, which blows the pre app store away. And if nothing else, I know the majority of pre's apps are ebooks and pizza shack finders, so you should let that argument go.
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Cubed View Post
    I have had enough of Android OS and I dont even own one... I have to constantly help my wife with hers because the software honestly is sub-par IMO compared to 1st WebOS and then to the Blackberry she just came from...
    Out of curiosity, what phone is she packin?
    Actually I, and I think many of us that swing through here are ex-pre owners, and pop in to see if anything big is about to happen on this side. Myself, I get disappointed everytime I come by. But it is what it is, palm has played catch up since the pre's launch, its just to bad to see that nothing has changed here. I'm shocked that flash,STILL isnt available for it, what a shame,, we were supposed to have it last year....
    Last edited by jbg7474; 10/27/2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Deleted quote that points to deleted post
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    Actually I, and I think many of us that swing through here are ex-pre owners, and pop in to see if anything big is about to happen on this side. Myself, I get disappointed everytime I come by. But it is what it is, palm has played catch up since the pre's launch, its just to bad to see that nothing has changed here. I'm shocked that flash,STILL isnt available for it, what a shame,, we were supposed to have it last year....
    And where else is it available currently other than Android and Maemo 4?

Maemo 4 isn't even worth mentioning since the version in it is archaic (version 8).
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    And where else is it available currently other than Android and Maemo 4?

Maemo 4 isn't even worth mentioning since the version in it is archaic (version 8).
    I think the point is that it was demo'd on WebOS eons ago and our platform has mostly uniform hardware specs, so Adobe should have had it up and running months ago.
    webOS is solid as an OS, but the hardware is the issue here. People want bigger screens, slimmer profile, different form factor (slab), and webOS is still on the Pre form factor SO FAR. That's why people don't pay webOS any mind IMO. We need a device that'll make people say "Wow" and buy themselves a webOS phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by pyoro1 View Post
    webOS is solid as an OS, but the hardware is the issue here. People want bigger screens, slimmer profile, different form factor (slab), and webOS is still on the Pre form factor SO FAR. That's why people don't pay webOS any mind IMO. We need a device that'll make people say "Wow" and buy themselves a webOS phone.
    True. I can't say this enough, but once you adjust to a 3.7-4.3-inch screen, it is incredibly and truly difficult - nigh impossible - to go back to the Pre screen. Millions of people are making Droid or Evo or Epic or G2 their first smartphone, and they're not going to "downgrade" to a Pre-sized screen no matter how compelling WebOS 2.0 or 3.0 is.

Also, they're getting used to the breadth of apps on iOS and Android. And they're unlikely to leave for a device that doesn't have Rdio or Kindle or Voice-activated Navigation or Fruit Ninja or Pocket God or.....

One gap is super easy for HP to close. The other gap....well, 17 months and counting.
    my wife has a droid 2. Bigger screen. More apps. Heavy as anything, buggy as hell, the slider has become loose, and the camera stinks. She had an incredible before that during her 30 day window. The touchscreen would hang up calls using her cheek, the battery life was bad, the bluetooth didn't connect with her car's bluetooth, and many people could not hear her on the phone.

had the pre 2 been out sooner, I woulda encouraged her to get it instead.

I play with both phones since I am constantly setting up things on her phone and downloading apps. After playing with it, I can't wait to go back to my pre plus.

count me as one of those that doesn't care about the highest specs or the biggest screen or the most number of apps. I care about the experience. WebOS is far and away much more pleasurable to use than anything else out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    my wife has a droid 2. Bigger screen. More apps. Heavy as anything, buggy as hell, the slider has become loose, and the camera stinks. She had an incredible before that during her 30 day window. The touchscreen would hang up calls using her cheek, the battery life was bad, the bluetooth didn't connect with her car's bluetooth, and many people could not hear her on the phone.

I play with both phones since I am constantly setting up things on her phone and downloading apps. After playing with it, I can't wait to go back to my pre plus.

count me as one of those that doesn't care about the highest specs or the biggest screen or the most number of apps. I care about the experience. WebOS is far and away much more pleasurable to use than anything else out there.
    I'm not personally a fan of the "droid" series. I don't think that Motorola is very good overall.

Not every experience is going to be positive.

You mention the slider becoming loose.
    I wonder how many people would be around if, after one hardware issue, they left the Pre behind.

People forget that having a lot more screen real estate IS part of the experience. I scroll less. Zoom less. I watch more video and YouTube. Games are more enjoyable and easier to play. These add to ease and conveniece just as much as cards and swiping from app-to-app does.

But I can say that my Epic 4G slider is more solid than any of the 7 Pre phones I had. The camera murders the Pre in accuracy, speed, image quality, video recording, and options. Call quality is about a wash although I can actually cradle the Epic on my shoulder whereas if I did it with the Pre, people would always say I sound muffled. It has the soft matte back and Gorilla Glass the Pre should've had out of the box. And it weighs but one OUNCE more than the Pre.
    I'm always trying to steer people towards the pre. People are impressed at what webOS can do, it's just the hardware that keeps them from getting it. I really hope HP delivers at CES.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    I don't mind the Pre2 [...] make upgrading for another 2 yr contract too much of a leap for me.
    [emphasis added]

This. Sprint's usual arrangement is a 2 year contract, and you get the better upgrade deal at the end of that contract. I'm fairly certain Verizon uses a similar arrangement. I expect we'll see the true "next generation device" available sometime around June, just in time for all the original release date adopters to use their 2 year upgrade discount to get it. It makes for better release date numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Cubed View Post
    Tons of people complain about it and how many problems they have with it... I have never heard one complaint about WebOS.. the hardware... yes! But never the software!

Case in point I was playing Angry Birds and this guy walks into the break room at my job and says "oh is that Angry Birds?! I was just playing that on my Droid X" Then not 5 minutes later he is complaining about all the trouble he is having with it... lol
    So you've never heard people complain about the WebOS software?

THe software is good and has hope but it had just as many issues (that patching thank god make bearable) as the hardware. THe thing is, the software was always improving while the hardware would just get worse with time.

Yeah ummmm cant agree with this at all... Droid 2 kills the pre imo.. And I dont have it nor care for it all that much... I had the pre and the os is cool, but it has its fair share of bugs etc... Youtube never works right software issue.. Too many cards error when no cards are open etc Its not like the pre is perfect. Thats why there are patches lol. We arent even gonna talk sliders, oreo effect, power button caving in, usb ports cracking, screen scratching to hell, back scratching. Pre 2 pretty much the same thing... To say the incredible had a bad battery life.... We all know the pre's battery life is horrible as well SMH...

So i guess its safe to say the pre has its fair share of problems too.. lol I think web os has potential as well but until they do something about this hardware situation web os is doomed.. I liked webos but they still have some catching up to do.. U may not need apps but it looks like the rest of the world likes to have them... Looking at ios and android... I reallly hope webos comes out with a couple of devices with massive screens. It has already shown that the masses have accepted a big phone... I could never go back to my pre after having the evo I have or epic. They can keep the option for people that like small phones but bigger screens are needed. Come on palm your loyal customers are waiting.
    Last edited by youngzayiles; 10/27/2010 at 03:35 PM.
    When you say specs, screen size, and apps don't matter, you're essentially saying that productivity doesn't matter. When did we stop considering productivity to be a fundamental aspect of the overall experience?
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    Out of curiosity, what phone is she packin?
    She has a Intercept
    Ħ╬čųβ£Δ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    Yeah ummmm cant agree with this at all... Droid 2 kills the pre imo.. And I dont have it nor care for it all that much... I had the pre and the os is cool, but it has its fair share of bugs etc... Youtube never works right software issue.. Too many cards error when no cards are open etc Its not like the pre is perfect. Thats why there are patches lol. We arent even gonna talk sliders, oreo effect, power button caving in, usb ports cracking, screen scratching to hell, back scratching. Pre 2 pretty much the same thing... To say the incredible had a bad battery life.... We all know the pre's battery life is horrible as well SMH...

So i guess its safe to say the pre has its fair share of problems too.. lol I think web os has potential as well but until they do something about this hardware situation web os is doomed.. I liked webos but they still have some catching up to do.. U may not need apps but it looks like the rest of the world likes to have them... Looking at ios and android... I reallly hope webos comes out with a couple of devices with massive screens. It has already shown that the masses have accepted a big phone... I could never go back to my pre after having the evo I have or epic. They can keep the option for people that like small phones but bigger screens are needed. Come on palm your loyal customers are waiting.

I dont know what carrier you are on but the Pre2 from what I understand is supposed to take care all of our hardware concerns for the Pre line. I am on Sprint and even if the Pre2 came to Sprint I dont think I would get it anyways... even though apparently refreshed hardware I would rather hold out for the HP phone.

BTW Android OS sucks, yes everything is smooth most of the time but atleast WebOS is marginally better at managing its memory resources.

Question... How many times have you loaded up task killer today?
    Ħ╬čųβ£Δ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    When you say specs, screen size, and apps don't matter, you're essentially saying that productivity doesn't matter. When did we stop considering productivity to be a fundamental aspect of the overall experience?
    an, now you are bringing in a whole different argument here, and one which is WAY OFF BASE. whose to define what one's productivity is?
    we all have different jobs, different life situations, different uses of our things. i am way more productive with my pre plus than I am without it. THATS ALL THAT MATTERS. since I got the phone in jan, the app catalog has grown and I have all the apps that I need to remain "productive." need a drug reference- got epocrates. need to check email as they arrive or sync my calenders? done. need to have all my contacts in one place? done. need to "quickdial"- i use quick contacts. need to look up a nearby hotel? where and hotelsbyme. need to look up restaurants- have yelp, where, zagat, trip advisor, goodfood, ypmobile, and others. need to look up a movie-fandango and flixster. need to look up real estate- mobile webpages for zillow and trulia, along with the "real estate" app. need to track a package- "pack n track." need visual voicemail- youview. need to download a new song-amazon mp3. need cloud services-dropboxify and zumodrive. need to listen to music- pandora, grooveshark, slacker, accuradio, tuneIn, stitcher. need to catch the lastest podcast? i use dr. podder. need to look up a medical topic-uptodate.com. need to look up an ICD code? ICD9, same for CPT codes. twitter- tons of apps. facebook app? terrific. need to look up weather? weather channel, accuweather, aniweather, etc. netflix queue? MyQ. redbox? reboxed. password security? i use jvault. news? nytimes, newsweek, forbes, and countless mobile website. map of nyc? TmapsNY. translate another language? i use "translator" need to calculate mortgage/car loan/any loan? i use calcessentials. Maps? YPmobile, google maps, and BFG maps. look up a video? youtube app. url shortener? bit.ly. look up a flight? flightview. look up moonphases? mooninfo. look up sports scores as they happen? sports live. tip calculator? too many to count. ereader? preader and ebooks by kobo get the job done for me. message with other webOS owners? mojomessenger. entertain my kid with my phone? TONS OF GAMES. need doc editing or old palm OS apps- classic. speed up my phone on the fly? govnah. install homebrew apps? preware. memo/notes app better than the preinstalled one? Notes.

which reminds me, my wife wanted a note app on her droid 2- none came pre-installed. i went to the app market and was bombarded with may 50 or more apps. most had good reviews. which one do I choose? I lost time figuring out which one to download, so I downloaded a few of them for her to try out. so much for productivity! epocrates also doesnt work properly for phone.

point is, if you havent figured it out from my rant above, we all have our own definitions of productivity, and with my pre plus, I am very productive in what I do.
    just a point to the OP. The comments on Engadget's more recent article discussing the rumors of the 5-6 new Palm phones shows comments that are far more positive and encouraging.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast