Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 232
  1. #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric View Post
    I think all the Pre owners with sprint should suck it up and move to a real phone like the Evo 4g.
    Funny you mention that, because I tried to defect to an EVO the day it was released and returned it less than a month later because I am not an ***** and I realized that webOS was the superior platform. It's also very difficult to not look like a total ****** while using a 4"+ phone...
  2. #122  
    the size of the pres one reason I got it in the first place and it will be one of the reasons I get the pre 2 who wants a house phone in there pocket not me lol
  3. #123  
    The Palm Pre 2 Fail or Not?

    First off, I see a lot of comments from people saying they wanted more impressive hardware specifications, but when you look at the hardware specs people wanted, they're either uncommon or no big deal for the most part.

    What does the Pre 2 deliver?
    1) Processor - 1.0GHz ARM Cortex A9. Top tier.
    2) Memory - 512kb. Top tier.
    3) Internal Storage - 16GB. Top tier.
    4) Main Camera - 5.0MP with LED Flash. Top tier.
    5) Battery Life - Normal.
    6) Audio Out - 3.5mm. Top tier.
    7) Direct Connection - microUSB at USB 2.0. Top tier.
    8) Bluetooth - 2.1 EDR in Stereo. Top tier.

    Things People Comment They'd Like to See Better:
    1) Larger Display
    a. The iPhone 4 display is only 25% larger than the Pre 2. Most top tier smartphones are in the 3.5"-3.7" range so the Pre series is at a disadvantage.
    2) Front Facing Camera
    a. webOS does not support video conferencing. This is a moot point until it's available as front facing cameras SUCK for normal use.
    3) HDMI Out
    a. The only mainstream phone which has this feature is the EVO 4G. The iPhone 4, Epic 4G, and DROID series are all on equal footing.
    4) Higher Resolution
    a. The Pre series has a smaller screen so having a higher resolution isn't as important. That said, it's about 30% lower in ppi than the EVO, which is in and of itself far behind the iPhone 4... but is the Pre's resolution really holding the phone back at all? Not really.
    5) Memory Slot
    a. Android devices only. How many people are really struggling with only being able to have a couple thousand pictures and songs on their phones, especially with webOS's currently limited app catalog?
    6) Wireless N
    a. Again, this would absolutely be a nice feature to have, and it wouldn't have seemed too difficult to add.
    7) 4G Radio
    a. Most of the nation can't use 4G, and for those people, it's just a $10/mo extra charge on Sprint. Since the phone doesn't appear as though it's going to be on Sprint in the first place, it's a moot point.

    The bottom line is the Palm Pre 2 isn't likely aimed at even trying to compete with the Epic 4G or the EVO 4G or the iPhone 4. It's aimed at competing with mid-line devices, and the Pre 2 is an extremely capable device, it's just not ground breaking. It improves on the most often complained about aspect of the Pre/Pre Plus which is the build quality, and it should get rid of the performance lag without killing battery life.

    What about the things the Pre 2 will do better than any other smart phone on the market, like multi-tasking, like Flash applications, like user interface, and what about ongoing support???

    Everybody makes a big deal about the EVO and Epic 4G hardware. Guess what? As per standard, neither of those phones have the specifications necessary to get Gingerbread (Android 3.0). They'll be left far behind, running on an outdated Android 2.2 indefinitely, just like the HTC Hero hit a wall at Android 2.1. In a few more months, we'll have even newer versions of webOS, and it'll continue to get better while everybody that ran out and got an EVO will be sitting right where they were.

    The Pre 2 is a great mid-line device. It's great at what it was intended to be.
  4. #124  
    Well after a disappointing visit here, I'm goin to watch hulu flash videos on my huge rooted evo that makes me look like a @#$%. Or maybe browse my catalog of 100,000 apps. Or maybe make a video call to my chic, since I'm outta town. Maybe turn on xm radio for awhile. Who knows, I do know I can do alot more now, for alot longer, then I could on my pre classic. I do miss the cards at times, but android has that guy now so who knows. Oh yeah, I'm smoking 4g at 7-8mbs, so I should be able to stream a cool flick with no problems, good luck to you guys though..... I'm glad I got tired of waiting.
  5. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Everybody makes a big deal about the EVO and Epic 4G hardware. Guess what? As per standard, neither of those phones have the specifications necessary to get Gingerbread (Android 3.0). They'll be left far behind, running on an outdated Android 2.2 indefinitely, just like the HTC Hero hit a wall at Android 2.1. In a few more months, we'll have even newer versions of webOS, and it'll continue to get better while everybody that ran out and got an EVO will be sitting right where they were.
    Well alot of heros have froyo through root, evo will be getting gingerbread. And regardless, All 2.0 is still doing, is catching up, so even if I do sit idle for awhile, I'm still out in front of you.. most of your post is nonsense, but whatev... have fun waiting...
  6. #126  
    The hell with the Engadget commenter anyway. Do you guys ever see the thousands of negative comments Android and Apple fans spew at each other. With Palm/HP webos announcements the Android and Apple fanyboii Trollls have nothing better to do than to join forces and talk negatively about palm and webos; I dont blame them they are jealous that they have to live with a inferior mobile OS.
  7. #127  
    Well after a disappointing visit here, I'm goin to watch hulu flash videos on my huge rooted evo that makes me look like a @#$%. Or maybe browse my catalog of 100,000 apps. Or maybe make a video call to my chic, since I'm outta town. Maybe turn on xm radio for awhile. Who knows, I do know I can do alot more now, for alot longer, then I could on my pre classic. I do miss the cards at times, but android has that guy now so who knows. Oh yeah, I'm smoking 4g at 7-8mbs, so I should be able to stream a cool flick with no problems, good luck to you guys though..... I'm glad I got tired of waiting.
    LOL, I hope you are never far from a power outlet, don't forget to hit task killer every 5 minutes, hope the mods don't brick on you, and I'm glad to see 90,000 fart, flash light, sound board and web site apps weren't wasted on you. To each his own...
  8. #128  
    The true title of this thread should be "Engadget Article comments show what Non-Pre(but owners of other smart phones) people really think." I'm sure for the 80-90% of people out there without smart phones, don't have an opinion on any phone. They will buy what they buy and then form their opinion. Of course they will be pro-whatever it is they buy, because that's what they own.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  9. #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by nbmatt View Post
    Funny you mention that, because I tried to defect to an EVO the day it was released and returned it less than a month later because I am not an ***** and I realized that webOS was the superior platform. It's also very difficult to not look like a total ****** while using a 4"+ phone...


    I cannot roll my eyes enough to this comment. Also, what is the blocked out word suppose to be? What would using a 4" screen make you look like?

    Just



    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    Well after a disappointing visit here, I'm goin to watch hulu flash videos on my huge rooted evo that makes me look like a @#$%. Or maybe browse my catalog of 100,000 apps. Or maybe make a video call to my chic, since I'm outta town. Maybe turn on xm radio for awhile. Who knows, I do know I can do alot more now, for alot longer, then I could on my pre classic. I do miss the cards at times, but android has that guy now so who knows. Oh yeah, I'm smoking 4g at 7-8mbs, so I should be able to stream a cool flick with no problems, good luck to you guys though..... I'm glad I got tired of waiting.




    Quote Originally Posted by Treiz View Post
    LOL, I hope you are never far from a power outlet, don't forget to hit task killer every 5 minutes, hope the mods don't brick on you, and I'm glad to see 90,000 fart, flash light, sound board and web site apps weren't wasted on you. To each his own...
    It helps to actually be educated on things before commenting on them because it allows you to see when people don't have any idea what they're talking about.

    Power outlet?
    While the Evo isn't perfect on battery life, I can use as little as 1% an hour with minimal usage and get as good as 10% with constant usage.

    You couldn't say ANYTHING EVEN close with that Pre. I know this because I owned one for a year.

    Task Killers are stupid. Google has even said they are actually counterproductive and, besides ruining the functionality of some apps, they also cause MORE battery loss.

    Task killers have been useless since at least Android 1.5 [if they ever actually had any good use].

    With Android 2.2, Google has disabled the ability to end all tasks at the same time to prevent stupid users from being stupid.

    There is NO need to "close apps" just because they're in memory.
    The ONLY time you should force stop an app is if it's "misbehaving". And that is a very rare occurrence. [99.99% of the time if it happens it's the apps fault, not the android system]


    Mods only "brick a phone" when you're an ***** about it. The same is true for mods on any phone including Webos.
    I read an article the other day where someone was complaining about how he had to "Macgyver" his phone because it bricked during flashing a ROM.
    Funny part is, if you actually read the article, this dumb-**** flashed the ROM on a low battery and the battery died during the process.
    Do that on a Webos, IOS, WM..etc...phone and see what happens.
    There is a very, very, very, very good reason why-when downloading an update- the phone manufacturers make it impossible to install the updated software without at least 30% of your battery left.

    Being stupid doesn't make the OS design stupid. And it is not a point you can make to knock the OS. If you don't know what you're doing and you're not willing to take the time to try to understand it before doing it, don't do it.


    Your app comment is ridiculous. Yes, there are a lot of those, and there are a lot of those on the iPhone market too.

    But the functional, useful app count for the Android market dwarfs the Webos store by 1000 fold. If Webos is lucky.
    Please understand that apps that are "games" are NOT up for consideration [for any platform] when making this comment as games are not productive to begin with.


    I'm a big fan of Webos but let's not make unsubstantiated claims here just for fun.
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 10/22/2010 at 01:50 PM. Reason: spelling error
  10. #130  
    Regarding the comments about needing to root Android phones to receive updates. Great. iPhone users can root their phones, too, but not everything works quite as smoothly (you know, crashes, lock ups, etc.)

    When it comes to operating systems, I think you'll find at least 95% of all users will say they want their OS to "just work." The geeky and clunky Android interface, and the lack of official support for Android devices keeps them best utilized by a fringe element. In essence, Android = Linux. It will work okay for most main stream users, but only in the hands of a geek will it really shine, and you know what? Geeks like it that way. I don't think Android will stay a "geek" OS forever, and I fully expect Gingerbread to be a ground breaking improvement for Android phones, but will it be good enough? Android 3.0 will already be breaking all the OEM UI's that actually make Android phones good for normal people. Will it be up to the task of replacing those UIs?

    In regard to application e-peen size, there are just a handful of apps I'd like to see on webOS devices which are currently available on Android devices. Having 20,000 fart applications does not impress me.
  11. #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Regarding the comments about needing to root Android phones to receive updates. Great. iPhone users can root their phones, too, but not everything works quite as smoothly (you know, crashes, lock ups, etc.)

    When it comes to operating systems, I think you'll find at least 95% of all users will say they want their OS to "just work." The geeky and clunky Android interface, and the lack of official support for Android devices keeps them best utilized by a fringe element. In essence, Android = Linux. It will work okay for most main stream users, but only in the hands of a geek will it really shine, and you know what? Geeks like it that way. I don't think Android will stay a "geek" OS forever, and I fully expect Gingerbread to be a ground breaking improvement for Android phones, but will it be good enough? Android 3.0 will already be breaking all the OEM UI's that actually make Android phones good for normal people. Will it be up to the task of replacing those UIs?
    ?????????

    "needing to root Android phones to receive updates"?

    ?


    Your "just work" comment can MAJORLY apply [and be a HUGELY negative mark] against Webos.
    A stock Pre sucks.
    Most of the patches available SHOULD BE DEFAULT in the OS.

    Let's go ahead and NOT make claims like this that apply to WebOs even moreso than ANY other mobile Os out there.


    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    In regard to application e-peen size, there are just a handful of apps I'd like to see on webOS devices which are currently available on Android devices. Having 20,000 fart applications does not impress me.
    I don't know where you guys get these numbers but whatever... there are NONE that I want from Webos over to Android.

    Have you ever even searched through the Android Marketplace?
    There are TONS of apps that I would have loved to have on my pre.

    TONS.
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 10/22/2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: added comment
  12. #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    This comes to mind...

    I just can't figure out if Palm is Charlie Brown, Lucy, or the ball.
    HP is the ball. Palm is the hollow, empty space inside the ball.
  13. jezer29's Avatar
    Posts
    93 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    #133  
    The Pre 2 has 16GB not 8.. If ya can't get that right.. Why should anyone listen to commentors from Engadget of all places
  14. #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    The Palm Pre 2 Fail or Not?

    ...(reducted)...

    The Pre 2 is a great mid-line device. It's great at what it was intended to be.
    I think it's a perfect refresh device, it would have been better a couple months ago. A couple of requests might be warranted for this device but really as is it's perfectly fine. For those that don't need some kind of super-convergence device the Pre form factor is a really nice option. Take a Pre and pair it with a tablet(more robust then the iPad) or laptop and I'm happy with the design. I'm sure others share that opinion.
  15. pawdog's Avatar
    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    The Palm Pre 2 Fail or Not?

    First off, I see a lot of comments from people saying they wanted more impressive hardware specifications, but when you look at the hardware specs people wanted, they're either uncommon or no big deal for the most part.

    What does the Pre 2 deliver?
    1) Processor - 1.0GHz ARM Cortex A9. Top tier.
    2) Memory - 512kb. Top tier.
    3) Internal Storage - 16GB. Top tier.
    4) Main Camera - 5.0MP with LED Flash. Top tier.
    5) Battery Life - Normal.
    6) Audio Out - 3.5mm. Top tier.
    7) Direct Connection - microUSB at USB 2.0. Top tier.
    8) Bluetooth - 2.1 EDR in Stereo. Top tier.

    Things People Comment They'd Like to See Better:
    1) Larger Display
    a. The iPhone 4 display is only 25% larger than the Pre 2. Most top tier smartphones are in the 3.5"-3.7" range so the Pre series is at a disadvantage.
    2) Front Facing Camera
    a. webOS does not support video conferencing. This is a moot point until it's available as front facing cameras SUCK for normal use.
    3) HDMI Out
    a. The only mainstream phone which has this feature is the EVO 4G. The iPhone 4, Epic 4G, and DROID series are all on equal footing.
    4) Higher Resolution
    a. The Pre series has a smaller screen so having a higher resolution isn't as important. That said, it's about 30% lower in ppi than the EVO, which is in and of itself far behind the iPhone 4... but is the Pre's resolution really holding the phone back at all? Not really.
    5) Memory Slot
    a. Android devices only. How many people are really struggling with only being able to have a couple thousand pictures and songs on their phones, especially with webOS's currently limited app catalog?
    6) Wireless N
    a. Again, this would absolutely be a nice feature to have, and it wouldn't have seemed too difficult to add.
    7) 4G Radio
    a. Most of the nation can't use 4G, and for those people, it's just a $10/mo extra charge on Sprint. Since the phone doesn't appear as though it's going to be on Sprint in the first place, it's a moot point.

    The bottom line is the Palm Pre 2 isn't likely aimed at even trying to compete with the Epic 4G or the EVO 4G or the iPhone 4. It's aimed at competing with mid-line devices, and the Pre 2 is an extremely capable device, it's just not ground breaking. It improves on the most often complained about aspect of the Pre/Pre Plus which is the build quality, and it should get rid of the performance lag without killing battery life.

    What about the things the Pre 2 will do better than any other smart phone on the market, like multi-tasking, like Flash applications, like user interface, and what about ongoing support???

    Everybody makes a big deal about the EVO and Epic 4G hardware. Guess what? As per standard, neither of those phones have the specifications necessary to get Gingerbread (Android 3.0). They'll be left far behind, running on an outdated Android 2.2 indefinitely, just like the HTC Hero hit a wall at Android 2.1. In a few more months, we'll have even newer versions of webOS, and it'll continue to get better while everybody that ran out and got an EVO will be sitting right where they were.

    The Pre 2 is a great mid-line device. It's great at what it was intended to be.
    Dude, that post made way too much sense, what is wrong with you. At this point I consider this thread closed. Good day to you sir.
  16. #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by pawdog View Post
    Dude, that post made way too much sense, what is wrong with you. At this point I consider this thread closed. Good day to you sir.
    Because of your comment I felt the need to respond to this post by him because I generally disagree...



    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    The Palm Pre 2 Fail or Not?

    First off, I see a lot of comments from people saying they wanted more impressive hardware specifications, but when you look at the hardware specs people wanted, they're either uncommon or no big deal for the most part.

    Matter of opinion. I could see the same thing being said about the Evo's specs on here when the Pre one came out.

    What does the Pre 2 deliver?
    1) Processor - 1.0GHz ARM Cortex A9. Top tier[For six months ago].
    2) Memory - 512kb. Top tier [I think you mean MB but ...for six months ago].
    3) Internal Storage - 16GB. Top tier.[Again, for 6 months ago]
    4) Main Camera - 5.0MP with LED Flash. Top tier. [There’s better from six months ago]
    5) Battery Life - Normal. [You’ve used a Pre 2? That’s funny cause I don’t even think most reviewers/analysts actually have]
    6) Audio Out - 3.5mm. Top tier. [Having a standard audio out is not “top tier” it’s just…necessary and expected…industry standard lol]
    7) Direct Connection - microUSB at USB 2.0. Top tier. […industry standard]
    8) Bluetooth - 2.1 EDR in Stereo. Top tier. […industry standard]

    Things People Comment They'd Like to See Better:
    1) Larger Display
    a. The iPhone 4 display is only 25% larger than the Pre 2. Most top tier smartphones are in the 3.5"-3.7" range so the Pre series is at a disadvantage.[25% is significant. Pre 2 IS at a disadvantage as you say]
    2) Front Facing Camera
    a. webOS does not support video conferencing. This is a moot point until it's available as front facing cameras SUCK for normal use. [Video conferencing is becoming…industry standard]
    3) HDMI Out
    a. The only mainstream phone which has this feature is the EVO 4G. The iPhone 4, Epic 4G, and DROID series are all on equal footing. [I’m guessing the HDMI out is a step toward making your cell phone everything but being as I have never used it or seen anyone actually interested we’ll just skip it]
    4) Higher Resolution
    a. The Pre series has a smaller screen so having a higher resolution isn't as important. That said, it's about 30% lower in ppi than the EVO, which is in and of itself far behind the iPhone 4... but is the Pre's resolution really holding the phone back at all? Not really. [Screen resolution isn’t the biggest thing when talking about phones but it’s just another mark against the Pre 2]
    5) Memory Slot
    a. Android devices only. How many people are really struggling with only being able to have a couple thousand pictures and songs on their phones, especially with webOS's currently limited app catalog? [Memory slot’s are a big deal. Also, Windows devices generally have them too. Saying that the OS, that is running over everyone else and about to be the number one smartphone over RIM, has it seems like a good point as to why you SHOULD have it. App catalog is important here but not hardware discussion]
    6) Wireless N
    a. Again, this would absolutely be a nice feature to have, and it wouldn't have seemed too difficult to add. [Software added to the Evo so at least possible with Pre 2]
    7) 4G Radio
    a. Most of the nation can't use 4G, and for those people, it's just a $10/mo extra charge on Sprint. Since the phone doesn't appear as though it's going to be on Sprint in the first place, it's a moot point. [Your comment fits with the misconception that ONLY Sprint is going to have 4g by the end of the year. While Sprint loves the idea of people thinking this, it’s not true at all. See: Verizon to launch 4G in 38 markets | Signal Strength - CNET News
    launch its 4G wireless network in 38 markets by the end of 2010
    Within 18 months, Verizon expects to blanket the entire country with the service serving about two-thirds of users in its footprint.

    Article also notes that there hasn’t been ANY 4g capable phones announced for 2010. Did Hpalm miss an opportunity to be the first 4g phone on the biggest network in the country?]


    The bottom line is the Palm Pre 2 isn't likely aimed at even trying to compete with the Epic 4G or the EVO 4G or the iPhone 4. It's aimed at competing with mid-line devices, and the Pre 2 is an extremely capable device, it's just not ground breaking. It improves on the most often complained about aspect of the Pre/Pre Plus which is the build quality, and it should get rid of the performance lag without killing battery life.

    What about the things the Pre 2 will do better than any other smart phone on the market, like multi-tasking, like Flash applications, like user interface, and what about ongoing support???

    Everybody makes a big deal about the EVO and Epic 4G hardware. Guess what? As per standard, neither of those phones have the specifications necessary to get Gingerbread (Android 3.0). They'll be left far behind, running on an outdated Android 2.2 indefinitely, just like the HTC Hero hit a wall at Android 2.1. In a few more months, we'll have even newer versions of webOS, and it'll continue to get better while everybody that ran out and got an EVO will be sitting right where they were.

    The Pre 2 is a great mid-line device. It's great at what it was intended to be.

    Couple of comments on this:
    Read here: DailyTech - Android 3.0 'Gingerbread' Details Emerge

    It’s very likely that by the time 3.0 is actually released to phones there will be a new generation of phones. In fact, it’s not only likely, it’s almost guaranteed.
    You seem to not know a lot about the android setup.
    Instead of every release being a couple new features and a plethora of bug fixes, every new release is generally a good solid leap forward.
    You seem to ignore this fact.

    Google is not going to establish minimum requirements like that just to force people to update to a new phone. In fact, as many articles point out, they've never established minimum requirements until 3.0.
    They do it because the new OS is actually requiring of an even more high end device.

    You quote the Hero but the fact is that the Hero wasn’t particularly state of the art when it was released over a year ago. In fact, the Pre which was released almost 6 months before it had a little better internal hardware.


    If every update released for Webos was of the same caliber as Android's the original Pre would quickly find itself NOT getting the new updates.
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 10/23/2010 at 04:36 AM.
  17. h-cubed's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric View Post
    I think all the Pre owners with sprint should suck it up and move to a real phone like the Evo 4g.
    I have had enough of Android OS and I dont even own one... I have to constantly help my wife with hers because the software honestly is sub-par IMO compared to 1st WebOS and then to the Blackberry she just came from...
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
  18. #138  
    yup

    at the end of the day its just a phone. I'm surprized how elemenatry this market is and how insecure people seem to be based on what their choice of phone is.. Or even what their choice of provider is.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 10/27/2010 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Deleted quote that points to deleted post
  19. #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Cubed View Post
    I have had enough of Android OS and I dont even own one... I have to constantly help my wife with hers because the software honestly is sub-par IMO compared to 1st WebOS and then to the Blackberry she just came from...
    lol
  20. #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Cubed View Post
    I have to constantly help my wife with hers because the software honestly is sub-par IMO compared to 1st WebOS and then to the Blackberry she just came from...
    same here, every day my gf complains about her android phone (and i have to fix it) android is just.. weird... i don't get why people love it so much, have they never seen the webOS?

Posting Permissions