Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 232
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    I didn't say a thing about branding. I only compared features. The Evo features stomp every phone on Verizon. Thus, Verizon phones are weaker. Only because of branding and coverage maps does the Verizon lineup stomp everything Sprint is doing with the Evo, Epic, and it's feature rich plans. This started from the combo of attack ads against the AT&T coverage 3G coverage map and the Droid Does advertising started last year. Verizon has been riding the wave to new customers ever since.
    Droid X has an objectively faster processor, GPU, and (slightly) higher resolution and (much higher) color depth display. I would trade a front facing camera for all of that, but I bought the Epic 4G so I didn't have to choose.

    Again, the Pre 2 has a better chance on Verizon than AT&T or Sprint when looking at the carriers phone line up because the Verizon line up lacks features the other carrier phones offer. I wanted to avoid branding, customers renewing contracts, and other statistics that carriers keep to themselves because there's no brick backing those walls.
    We'll just agree to disagree.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    This thread is redundent since all of those comments are based on a technology inspired community, whereas the real world has a different demography. Seriously guys...
    Yup. Tech fans want specs. The real world wants cool apps and features.

    The Pre 2 has, uh...
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Guess what else is coming shortly, the DROID Pro. Clearly Verizon feels the market segments that the Pixi and Pre fit into aren't dead segments.

    You want Palm to bring the "big gun" slab but we don't even know if they were working on one or how far along it was at the time of acquisition. You can't expect HP to just suddenly pop out a working slab from scratch in just a couple of months after acquiring Palm. You want a "big gun" but if that gun blows up in your face it'd be worse than just waiting on it and bringing the little gun instead.
    They didn't have to release anything this year. Nothing would've been better than what they did today.

    If the big gun isn't ready, then keep working. Keep polishing webOS and make some premium hardware designed for it. HP is wasting their time..not just wasting, but hurting webOS's chances. Scrap the Pre. Whatever Palm put into the Pre 2 is immaterial to HP. It should've halted months ago at acquisition.

    This is what should've happened. But it didn't.

    Now we've got the Pre 2 and webOS 2.0 is out of the bag with a lame press release. France was picked first and months later to Verizon. They ignore Sprint, by far their biggest user base.

    This is stupidity and the one constant behind it is Ruby. Probably his idea.

    Review after review will come out swinging on just how terrible the Pre 2 is. Nothing positive will result but more negative PRPRPR. $The$ $Pre$ $2$ $is$ $already$ $DOA$ $especially$ $at$ $Verizon$. $It$'$s$ $obvious$ $HP$ $has$ $no$ $clue$.
  4. h2o826's Avatar
    Posts
    100 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    #84  
    dont worry guys i set them strait..no one tells me i **** in my pants for nothing.
    if you look newest first im that paragraph.. webOS/2.0 > iOS, aOS + original palm sprinters get left out who really need a spec bumpb, other than that hp better have their superdevice and set the threashshold for new phones.
  5. #85  
    I'm actually astounded that as of 4:40pm EST, they still have the Palm Pre 2 link going to the wrong page (Go to Palm.com, click on "Palm Pre", then click the words "Palm Pre 2" on their corporate web site). I work for a major retailer's website, and we extensively QA our promotions before posting, then aggressively correct them the day of. If something so big on our biggest promotion was wrong for this long, somebody would've been chewed out.

    Is nobody awake at the wheel over at Palm?
  6. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    This is stupidity and the one constant behind it is Ruby. Probably his idea.
    When are we going to have our first college football inspired "www.firerudy.com" website appear.

    In all seriousness though it appears HP were the one's behind the late launch, as Rudy has commented on the frustrating delays of getting the Pre2 out to market. I can't believe HP didn't realize that what would have been acceptable in June is not in November and I have to admit HP screwed the pooch on this one. Hopefully its the last time, but I fear we are all going to be disappointed come CES time, when we get a full view of, and release date for, a tablet - great - but only a whisper of an upcoming "superphone" - bad.

    HP have not started out of the block well here imo.
  7. #87  
    I'm surprised people don't understand what's going on here.

    HP knew this phone would not make a splash. Therefore, they did not want to make a huge announcement with the fanfare of an iPhone launch. As for timing, could you imagine announcing this phone at CES? They'd be laughed out. So they wanted to quietly get it out the door before CES so they can save the real marketing push for the new devices at CES.

    This launch was more about webOS 2.0. By getting webOS 2.0 out the door soon, hopefully there will be more developer apps that take advantage of 2.0's unique feature so that they can show off the integration at CES on the new devices, and focus on the new devices.

    It is really hard to "throw away" all the money that went into developing this phone. Also, while techies may not appreciate this phone, there are a lot of people using feature phones that will. It is a good device for those looking to start in the smartphone world. Easier to use that Android but more elegant than an iPhone.

    This is a good sign of great things to come.
  8. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    I'm surprised people don't understand what's going on here.

    HP knew this phone would not make a splash. Therefore, they did not want to make a huge announcement with the fanfare of an iPhone launch. As for timing, could you imagine announcing this phone at CES? They'd be laughed out. So they wanted to quietly get it out the door before CES so they can save the real marketing push for the new devices at CES.

    This launch was more about webOS 2.0. By getting webOS 2.0 out the door soon, hopefully there will be more developer apps that take advantage of 2.0's unique feature so that they can show off the integration at CES on the new devices, and focus on the new devices.

    It is really hard to "throw away" all the money that went into developing this phone. Also, while techies may not appreciate this phone, there are a lot of people using feature phones that will. It is a good device for those looking to start in the smartphone world. Easier to use that Android but more elegant than an iPhone.

    This is a good sign of great things to come.
    I agree with your sentiment. I don't think the Pre2 is especially bad, just not up to par. If HP have to release the device I think HP should give them away, allow the carriers to simply use them to generate new subscribers. HP gets to make a splash with new smartphone customers (who can pass up a free smart phone) and help build a customer base, and gets some good will with the carriers at the same time.

    If this thing sells for anything more that $100 to start it will do nothing to gain traction for WebOS.
  9. #89  
    Mikah92,

    what exactly are you doing on the precentral forums anyway?
    you have an android device, and you'd rather have an iphone, or so it sounds.
    why all the hate for palm?
    there are those of us here that actually enjoy the pre, the form factor, and look forward to webOS and its future. some of us will even be looking for ways to upgrade to the pre 2...hard for you to believe?
    you and others see the glass half empty (or totally empty based on some of the comments), but webOS fans see the glass half full and see a very bright future.

    there are two sides to every story...just felt the need to remind everyone that yes folks, webOS 2.0 is here! good times for those of us that actually enjoy the platform...

    just sayin
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    Mikah92,

    what exactly are you doing on the precentral forums anyway?
    you have an android device, and you'd rather have an iphone, or so it sounds.
    why all the hate for palm?
    Hate? Why would you think I hate a company that I purchased two of my last four handsets from? Why would I hate any company? I can certainly have an opinion of moves they make or products they release. Especially as a paying customer.

    Here's a better question: Why do people come to the "other Devices" forums and get mad about people speaking approvingly of other devices and not so approvingly of Palm's?

    there are those of us here that actually enjoy the pre, the form factor, and look forward to webOS and its future. some of us will even be looking for ways to upgrade to the pre 2...hard for you to believe?
    you and others see the glass half empty (or totally empty based on some of the comments), but webOS fans see the glass half full and see a very bright future.
    That's fine. Only I don't ask you why you feel the way you do or ask you to leave because I disagree. Would be great if I could be afforded the same respect.

    I still look forward to the future of WebOS. I'm just waiting for Palm to get there. An incrementally-improved WebOS along with yet another rehash of the Pre is not the future to me. Or to a lot of other people. Hence the widespread negative reaction. If these people didn't look forward to the future of WebOS, they wouldn't care enough to complain. You ever see me going on about the slow decline of Symbian or the stagnancy of Blackberry? No, because I don't care about those companies.

    It's because I care about Palm that I bother to weigh in. And it's the people that care about you enough to tell you when you're making a mistake that you should listen to.
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    Read my first post. It's about adding new WebOS users from the market that still has room.
    And you think the Pre 2 is going to do that??
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Hate? Why would you think I hate a company that I purchased two of my last four handsets from? Why would I hate any company? I can certainly have an opinion of moves they make or products they release. Especially as a paying customer.

    Here's a better question: Why do people come to the "other Devices" forums and get mad about people speaking approvingly of other devices and not so approvingly of Palm's?



    That's fine. Only I don't ask you why you feel the way you do or ask you to leave because I disagree. Would be great if I could be afforded the same respect.

    I still look forward to the future of WebOS. I'm just waiting for Palm to get there. An incrementally-improved WebOS along with yet another rehash of the Pre is not the future to me. Or to a lot of other people. Hence the widespread negative reaction. If these people didn't look forward to the future of WebOS, they wouldn't care enough to complain. You ever see me going on about the slow decline of Symbian or the stagnancy of Blackberry? No, because I don't care about those companies.

    It's because I care about Palm that I bother to weigh in. And it's the people that care about you enough to tell you when you're making a mistake that you should listen to.
    because the forum is in other PALM devices.
    of course you have a right to your opinion. but you are a bit harsh, never posting any merits about the platform.
    But I just want to remind people reading these posts, that not all is negative and that there are plenty of us that ARE interested in the Pre 2. most of the posts around here and other sites are negative, because people like to complain. meanwhile, those of us happy with the device and the direction of hp wont be posting much.
    i'm from the happy camp police- just stating the positives from palm, for those potential customers actually considering the platform.
  13. xHunt3r's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    As for the mild refresh I'm with you - I think HP would have been better off killing the Pre2 and putting 100% focus on a new post acquisition developed device for release at CES. The Pre2 does have what I need, but as I said in an earlier post - what I want is stuff I desire or didn't know I would want.
    I think the Pre 2 fits into the portfolio of mobile devices HP will offer, the release order just doesn't follow the norm because of where things were post acquisition... We just have to wait and see at CES if HP really going be a major player in moible.
  14. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    This launch was more about webOS 2.0. By getting webOS 2.0 out the door soon, hopefully there will be more developer apps that take advantage of 2.0's unique feature so that they can show off the integration at CES on the new devices, and focus on the new devices.
    I agree. Here is what Rahul posted on twitter a bit ago.

    "Pre2 is good for developers who want webOS 2.0 on an unlocked device. webOS 2.0 makes good use of *all* the hardware on it."
    13 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply
  15. #95  
    I don't care what others say. I like my pre- and afaikafaikafaik $battery$ $calibration$ $is$ $only$ $available$ $on$ $WebOS$ ;-)
  16. #96  
    I think they released this phone mainly for developers... I don't think they expect to sell much if they are releasin it with verizon only.
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by homerlanza View Post
    I have the same exact issue. If after CES, I see nothing coming then I think it is time for a change. I have stuck with this phone, sang Palms praises, etc. Seems like it is all for naught.
    so what if we sprint users have to wait it out a bit? wp7 cdma users will have to wait until next spring/summer to see any. i think sprint is playing it smart this time. IMO the current pre overclocked to 1ghz still gave this phone plenty of life. look at the g2... only runs at 800mhz... people were upset about that too.

    maybe instead of pre users complaining they should start developing new apps and additions for us users. might make the time pass a lil quicker.

    IMO sprint won't get the pre2 at all, they will wait for the rumored palm super phone. myself im probably leaving sprint in mid winter so it doesn't matter to me.
  18. #98  
    I'll chime in to parrot what (a) few others have posted, and what the title of this thread indicates (but fails to emphasize): These are non-pre (more like non-webOS) people posting this stuff on engadget. Who cares what they think...

    [that last part was a statement; not a question]
  19. #99  
    Pre Redeux reminds me of a song:

    This old Palm he played me he played nick nack on my Pre with a nick nack patty wack give a dog a bone this old phone never came rolling home.
  20. mrtonk's Avatar
    Posts
    212 Posts
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    #100  
    I like my Pre, including the form factor. The resolution seems just fine to me. I don't need a front-facing camera. I like the size and the vertical slider. I do run it at 800 mhz, and it would be nice to run 1000 mhz at stock processor speed. My upgrade isn't available for another year anyway, so I won't be dropping excessive amounts of cash for what is really just a PHONE.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions