Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    I agree with most post still, with this as HP's new device out the gate is a let down. Think about it if this was in works already done last july they really should have released this back then even after the buyout to sprint customers. Then worried about just launching webos 2.0 for the holiday season, and CES for new devices on every carrier next year. This is very bad buisness decision being made at this point. With the holiday season coming, and you release a refresh of the same device that didnt get any love at all, on the carrier who refused to show it some love is outright dumb IMO. Sorry to say but yes even if they dont like it, they need to bring out a bigger screen device, with higher resolution, and up to date specs. Even now whats the excuse on bringing out a so so device, when the supposed delay was that HP was revamping this device, instead of just releasing it last july. What the hell was the revamp that they did, at a glass screen? Ive been with Palm since the Palm pilot days, and prefer Webos over all competitors, but if there is no word on other carriers launching new and better devices soon (at least an announcment) then I'll be strongly considering a WP7 device next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    First, the Droid X is not an Evo. No android on verizon supports 4G or has a front facing camera. Huge features normal people can understand without knowing anything. The Droid X is a Driod slab. The others you mention are Android phones mostly with the exact same features except a different keyboard type. The iPhone has been "eventually" coming to Verizon since the 3G (before the details of the AT&T contract were released). Every time this rumor is debunked, some article comes out extending the rumored release date. Personally, I wont believe it till I see it.

To rephrase what I said, Verizon phones are weaker than Sprint phones in the feature arena. Which makes the Pre 2 a stronger competitor on Verizon than on Sprint. Not saying the Pre 2 will be the king of the hill on Verizon but it at least has a better chance of adding more WebOS users than a release on Sprint.
    LOL

That's all i got to say. Obviously you've no idea that Sprint has by far the biggest base of Palm users.

Say what you want about verizon androids being less featured. But they're much better branded. WP7 is coming to verizon. Iphone in the spring.

But palm needs to bring a gun, not a stick (pre 2) to the fight no matter the carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    First, the Droid X is not an Evo. No android on verizon supports 4G or has a front facing camera. Huge features normal people can understand without knowing anything. The Droid X is a Driod slab. The others you mention are Android phones mostly with the exact same features except a different keyboard type. The iPhone has been "eventually" coming to Verizon since the 3G (before the details of the AT&T contract were released). Every time this rumor is debunked, some article comes out extending the rumored release date. Personally, I wont believe it till I see it.

To rephrase what I said, Verizon phones are weaker than Sprint phones in the feature arena. Which makes the Pre 2 a stronger competitor on Verizon than on Sprint. Not saying the Pre 2 will be the king of the hill on Verizon but it at least has a better chance of adding more WebOS users than a release on Sprint.
    Yeahhhhhh, I can only scratch my head at this. Anyone who thinks Verizon's Android lineup is weak when it's helped them add more phone customers than ATT has with the iPhone is coming from a perspective I cannot understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    LOL

That's all i got to say. Obviously you've no idea that Sprint has by far the biggest base of Palm users.

Say what you want about verizon androids being less featured. But they're much better branded. WP7 is coming to verizon. Iphone in the spring.

But palm needs to bring a gun, not a stick (pre 2) to the fight no matter the carrier.
    Guess what else is coming shortly, the DROID Pro. Clearly Verizon feels the market segments that the Pixi and Pre fit into aren't dead segments.

You want Palm to bring the "big gun" slab but we don't even know if they were working on one or how far along it was at the time of acquisition. You can't expect HP to just suddenly pop out a working slab from scratch in just a couple of months after acquiring Palm. You want a "big gun" but if that gun blows up in your face it'd be worse than just waiting on it and bringing the little gun instead.
    people are always smarter and better than the next person sitting behind a computer in their basement. I don't care what joe blow on engadget has to say about my choice in cell phones. Are people that insecure? Who cares if an iphone user bashes the pre.

hp and palm shouldn't copy the competitors devices.. That's no strategic vision. Android does what it does best. Ios does what it does best. Hp should do what it does best and that's what palm has done.. Refine what makes webos webos. Pre 2 was what was just left over bc palm knew prior to hp they needed something in the pipeline and the merge set it back. Webos 2 was ready and it wouldn't make sense to couple it without hardware so why not just send er on out. Ces they'll have hp's pipeline. No need to freak out. No matter what palm users won't be happy. So if you're that unhappy then move to another platform you'll live a life a little less stressed
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Frustrated best defines the Pre2. I love WebOS but this device is a late to the party phone that only ties us over until the first HP-Palm device comes along. And remember that "tie" last for 1 year or 20+ months depending on your carrier.

I can't for the life of me figure out why HP even bothered releasing this thing - its not bad, its a substantial improvement over the Sprint Pre hardware wise, but its not exactly desirable from a everyday customer point of view. It may satisfy some but just take a look around the board. All this release has done is stir up a hornets nest. When a buyer is doing research on which phone to buy I don't get the feeling they will find the Pre2 a comforting prospect. Even on a Palm fan site, a search of the Pre2 will yield a bunch of people ragging the device, a bunch of people excusing the device, and a bunch of people supporting the device. That doesn't bode well.

HP should have killed this device as soon as the deal with Palm closed and focused all their efforts on building a top of the line phone that actually leads the pack not trail it by 6 months. I'm sure we will get a great device down the line, but the Pre2 only confuses the market at best and down right hurts WebOS' chances of succeeding at worst. Maybe HP will realize this and give us a hint of whats coming to settle the hornets down so to speak - but I doubt it.

I say this as someone who is sticking with WebOS and my Sprint Pre that very least until I see what HP are going to do in Q1, probably longer.
    Last edited by solarus; 10/19/2010 at 02:20 PM.
    Maybe everyone wouldn't have their panties in a wad if they had just called it the Pre++ or the Pre+1 instead of Pre2???
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    I can't for the life of me figure out why HP even bothered releasing this thing
    Well, if we're assuming this was something Palm's been working on for the past year, HP can't waste all the forward-thinking R&D and cutting-edge design work that was put into this.........
    HP should have killed this device as soon as the deal with Palm closed and focused all their efforts on building a top of the line phone that actually leads the pack not trail it by 6 months. I'm sure we will get a great device down the line, but the Pre2 only confuses the market at best and down right hurts WebOS' chances of succeeding at worst.
    That's poor thinking. The people that were working on prepping this device would not be the people working on the new device until it would be nearing completion and being prepped for launch. Concept, design, build, test, prep, launch, those would be the very basic steps for a new device and the people that would be working on the prep and launch are unlikely to be involved in the early concept, design, and build stages. They likely had the device ready from the acquisition, they had webOS 2.0 ready to launch, there was no reason why they shouldn't launch this device.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Maybe everyone wouldn't have their panties in a wad if they had just called it the Pre++ or the Pre+1 instead of Pre2???
    Nope, there would still be significant wadding.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Anyone who doesn't like their phone or other phones... Feel free to start up your own R&D team, withdraw the hundreds of millions required to build, start up a manufacturing plant, distribute, and market these marvellous phones of wonder so at least you'll be happy, while the rest of us slam what a piece of crap you just made
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    That's poor thinking. The people that were working on prepping this device would not be the people working on the new device until it would be nearing completion and being prepped for launch. Concept, design, build, test, prep, launch, those would be the very basic steps for a new device and the people that would be working on the prep and launch are unlikely to be involved in the early concept, design, and build stages. They likely had the device ready from the acquisition, they had webOS 2.0 ready to launch, there was no reason why they shouldn't launch this device.
    I recognize that to kill the device would have put employees in a holding pattern as they waited for new work, and that substantial efforts and money had already been spent on the Pre2, and HP obviously made the decision to slow the release for reasons unknown, but that doesn't change the fact that this device is at the tail end of the current product cycle competitively.

Besides, HP have the resources to keep employees employed while they wait for a new device to hit their department. I just think HP should have come out with a home run of a phone - looking around here and on other sites, they appear to have a single, maybe a double at best with the Pre2.

Think of it as a cost of buying Palm - you sink a couple of hundred million into keeping the company afloat while you push new resources into the company to develop new competitive products.

Now all that been said, we don't yet know how HP will market this thing. If they market it as an entry level device going for say $75 -$100 here in the U.S., I think the plan could work. But they will have to follow up with a new top of the line device announced at CES and released shortly thereafter in order to keep WebOS as a real viable choice for everyday consumers.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Where exactly do you read Engadget talking like that? The only thing they did was post a review with no positive/negative comments. Like always, the neg comments are in the 'comments' section only.
    Read the wrap up in the review from May 09. Those were the glory days, am I right?

Palm Pre review -- Engadget
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
    I recognize that to kill the device would have put employees in a holding pattern as they waited for new work, and that substantial efforts and money had already been spent on the Pre2, and HP obviously made the decision to slow the release for reasons unknown, but that doesn't change the fact that this device is at the tail end of the current product cycle competitively.

Besides, HP have the resources to keep employees employed while they wait for a new device to hit their department. I just think HP should have come out with a home run of a phone - looking around here and on other sites, they appear to have a single, maybe a double at best with the Pre2.

Think of it as a cost of buying Palm - you sink a couple of hundred million into keeping the company afloat while you push new resources into the company to develop new competitive products.
    The comment wasn't meant about putting employees into a holding pattern, just that those employees wouldn't be focused on their new device design so there is no reason to assume that they could put anymore focus on a new design then they probably already are by not launching this device.

Now all that been said, we don't yet know how HP will market this thing. If they market it as an entry level device going for say $75 -$100 here in the U.S., I think the plan could work. But they will have to follow up with a new top of the line device announced at CES and released shortly thereafter in order to keep WebOS as a real viable choice for everyday consumers.
    That may also be a huge part of them releasing this refresh is that they want to be able to throw their own marketing power into the Pre line and they really can't do that with existing lines, they need their "own" line to be able to give any real effect. Plus releasing a major OS upgrade without a new device would just plain not work out for marketing webOS. They needed something, this was ready-made, I doubt they'll try to push it as their flagship product.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    The comment wasn't meant about putting employees into a holding pattern, just that those employees wouldn't be focused on their new device design so there is no reason to assume that they could put anymore focus on a new design then they probably already are by not launching this device.
    Yeah I see what you're saying but its not just the Palm employees that would have been the only one's working on the design with more investment by HP. HP could have added significant resources...be it people, money, 3rd party designers, etc... to push development of a new device. Who knows maybe they did this anyway and we'll get a top of the line device at CES. I have my doubts though, I think HP pushed resources to getting a tablet.

That may also be a huge part of them releasing this refresh is that they want to be able to throw their own marketing power into the Pre line and they really can't do that with existing lines, they need their "own" line to be able to give any real effect. Plus releasing a major OS upgrade without a new device would just plain not work out for marketing webOS. They needed something, this was ready-made, I doubt they'll try to push it as their flagship product.
    I hope not, that will have disastrous results. Heck if I was HP I'd let Verizon and Sprint give the suckers away and blow a chunk of change on marketing the operating system in a coordinated campaign culminating in an announcement of a top of the line device.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilkaneevel View Post
    Or we can go buy a different phone and kill the future of your phone.
    lol. Sure go ahead & lemme know how that works out for you.
    I only wish the webOS Engadget app let you actually view all comments instead of just people who have webOS. How fitting.
    seeing as how most people have know clue what webOS is, I think the pre 2 is a good thing. It has a sensible form factor with specs that are up to date. HP just needs to advertise the hell out of it in the coming months then show off the big guns at CES.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    LOL

Read my first post. It's about adding new WebOS users from the market that still has room. Just because you have the 1 year rotation or are willing to pay full price for a phone doesn't mean the majority of Sprint Pre users are on that plan (or the main phone on a family plan) or willing to spend that kind of cash. The Pre|Centeral forums don't even muster a majority of Pre users.

Like I said, Verizon iPhone, I'll believe it when I see it in Steve's hands. WP7 on Verizon are next year. Feel free to wait for them.

And I agree, they need to bring a big *** gun.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Yeahhhhhh, I can only scratch my head at this. Anyone who thinks Verizon's Android lineup is weak when it's helped them add more phone customers than ATT has with the iPhone is coming from a perspective I cannot understand.
    I didn't say a thing about branding. I only compared features. The Evo features stomp every phone on Verizon. Thus, Verizon phones are weaker. Only because of branding and coverage maps does the Verizon lineup stomp everything Sprint is doing with the Evo, Epic, and it's feature rich plans. This started from the combo of attack ads against the AT&T coverage 3G coverage map and the Droid Does advertising started last year. Verizon has been riding the wave to new customers ever since.

Again, the Pre 2 has a better chance on Verizon than AT&T or Sprint when looking at the carriers phone line up because the Verizon line up lacks features the other carrier phones offer. I wanted to avoid branding, customers renewing contracts, and other statistics that carriers keep to themselves because there's no brick backing those walls.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    the same 8GB unexpandable of memory
    I'm going to toss out your entire comment based on the fact you have this false piece of information. It has 16GB.

This thread is redundent since all of those comments are based on a technology inspired community, whereas the real world has a different demography. Seriously guys...
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast