Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Maybe it (form design) was/is about keeping current owners happy. I've read far more comments of people liking the current form than not liking it. Keep the existing customers happy and work on getting more happy customers vs. Start from scratch and hope you don't lose any? Tough call.
    this is probably why many of the key people at palm left. they knew what was coming. now it makes sense why rahul sood (sp?) made the comment about really cool stuff coming next year. otherwise people would just drop. i think many will hang on to see the "next" device. i also think that if hp doesnt announce a new phone coming by q1 of next year, more people will start to leave. and i hope it will be a much better phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I'm not mad at HP for the Pre 2 release. The same people who are disgruntled about the Pre 2 would have been going nuts on HP if they remained silent until CES. However, the one comment you made is interesting. We all do pretty much assume that the Pre 2 was in the works prior to the HP merger. Does that raise any question marks for anyone? Palm was fighting for their lives as a company, desperately needing some new hardware and devices, and the Pre 2 is all they had? Again, I think the Pre 2 is fine. No need to just sit on the device if it was pretty much ready to go. I'll probably take VZ up on their free trade offer (due to my lousy GPS) if the phone releases in time. But it seems odd that Palm wasn't working on something a bit more forward-thinking to be released about this time.
    I'm thinking that the Pre 2 would have been released much earlier (summer) if the HP acquisition hadn't happened.

Revamped hardware is cheaper than a new design, and cash was definitely in short supply at Palm pre HP. It's quite possible that this was the best they could afford. There may have been some other designs kicking around that they just weren't able to bring closer to fruition. The acquisition probably slowed things down significantly. Even what we see at CES is probably going to have been in work to some degree prior to HP.

I don't completely understand all the heat around here over the Pre 2. I'm a little annoyed that Sprint doesn't seem to be getting it any time soon, but I'm probably not upgrading until next summer anyway. I'm looking forward to webOS 2.0 on my phone, and enjoying it in the interim.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Why are people sitting on the sidelines hoping and wishing for a fail? Especially when they already have a phone of their own? I'm still 2 years away from an upgrade, so the release of this phone is not very significant for me personally. It's just funny to me how all these people are just waiting to say I told you so. . Seems a little childish. There have been numerous phones that have come out since I got my phone, and aside from whatever I hear on the radio, see on the TV/internet/flyers, that's about as much exposure to them as I get. Why? Because being so far from an upgrade, I really don't care. What better way to spend a day nitpicking say the newest iphone(for example) and complain about the same form factor(more or less) from inception. Maybe I'm missing something here, just seems like your negative energy could be better spent somewhere else.

someone mentioned the lack of a virtual keyboard. There IS a patch for that, and to be quite honest, I removed it. I would rather type in portrait mode with a real keyboard, than landscape with a virtual one, but that's my personal preference.
    I think it's mostly Sprint people that are still stuck with the original Pre hardware. I can see them being upset given the horror stories I've heard about Sprint Pre hardware but I wonder if they aren't misdirecting their hate. I can't really understand why the original Pre and Pixi stayed in production after the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus were released. I'm sure it had less to do with Palm wanting to keep those production lines alive and more to do with carriers keeping them alive. I could be because of agreements with competing carriers, so in the US Verizon would be to blame, but it could also be because of continued agreements with original release carriers, possibly that those carriers didn't want to update their agreement terms with Palm to carry the Plus devices which in the US would make it Sprint's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    Looks like the engadet posters dont have much to say other than "480X320 seriously?".

I just dont understand why Palm/HP would waste money on this device. They know for a fact that the original pre design did not sell well. Why not just wait to launch the new completely different palm phone (which should be announced at CES) instead of launching a spec bump phone in the mean time. This is just giving eveyone the wrong idea that this phone is the future of webOS.
    It looks like they are releasing this because it was already in the pipe when they acquired Palm and honestly it is a respectable refresh of the Pre line, especially if they can get the original Pre carriers that didn't update to the Pre Plus to update to the Pre 2. There are enough people that actually like the Pre form factor that keeping it alive isn't out of the question. This refresh isn't going to "impress" but it's a functional update that will hopefully lead to better refreshes down the line. But people have to keep in mind this isn't supposed to be their "superphone" and it's not going to be their consumer market flagship. It's a functional upgrade for those that want this type of form factor. I'd also expect to see a Pixi 2 refresh for that line release before their "superphone" releases.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    I agree. The pounding you hear, is the last nail in the coffin.
    +100 I hear Taps playing off in the distance!

It's a shame but this was doomed from the start....
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    It looks like they are releasing this because it was already in the pipe when they acquired Palm and honestly it is a respectable refresh of the Pre line, especially if they can get the original Pre carriers that didn't update to the Pre Plus to update to the Pre 2. There are enough people that actually like the Pre form factor that keeping it alive isn't out of the question. This refresh isn't going to "impress" but it's a functional update that will hopefully lead to better refreshes down the line. But people have to keep in mind this isn't supposed to be their "superphone" and it's not going to be their consumer market flagship. It's a functional upgrade for those that want this type of form factor. I'd also expect to see a Pixi 2 refresh for that line release before their "superphone" releases.
    Which makes sense but I think people are getting weary of Palm's "just wait until this and this happens and everything will turn around!" excuses.
    I should be upset beoz i have the launch day sprint Palm Pre, but i will settle for the webOS2.0 upgrade on pre-minus. I can wait till CES 2011.

I agree with jbg7474's comments this phone was already in the works. Judging from other sources on P|C it seems like Sprint only want the 4G phones on their network and wont settle for anything less.
    There's some saying the Pre 2 is fine. A phone to pass the time til hopefully HP releases a superphone.

But where's the marketing plan in any of this? The success of HP webOS will depend on it. WebOS 2.0 is too big a deal to use with just an incremental upgrade. Should've save it for the slab unveiling if there is one. Release a Pre 2 after making a big splash if you must.

Host an event, not a press release that Jon's secretary typed up. This waiting for CES is also dumb. If i'm going to buy into HP's ecosystem (whatever that is) or buy the notion that they have one, then they need to act the part.

Microsoft will spend half a billion on marketing WP7. And this is the competition without any market share yet.

HP can't even get Sprint to take their phone and they admitted it on facebook. Sprint is considered second tier and that network doesn't want your latest smartphone? Make that happen HP. You won't see HTC, Samsung, RIM, or Apple posting this garbage. What kind of PRPRPR $is$ $that$?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    There's some saying the Pre 2 is fine. A phone to pass the time til hopefully HP releases a superphone.

But where's the marketing plan in any of this? The success of HP webOS will depend on it. WebOS 2.0 is too big a deal to use with just an incremental upgrade. Should've save it for the slab unveiling if there is one. Release a Pre 2 after making a big splash if you must.

Host an event, not a press release that Jon's secretary typed up. This waiting for CES is also dumb. If i'm going to buy into HP's ecosystem (whatever that is) or buy the notion that they have one, then they need to act the part.

Microsoft will spend half a billion on marketing WP7. And this is the competition without any market share yet.

HP can't even get Sprint to take their phone and they admitted it on facebook. Sprint is considered second tier and that network doesn't want your latest smartphone? Make that happen HP. You won't see HTC, Samsung, RIM, or Apple posting this garbage. What kind of PRPRPR $is$ $that$?
    The Microsoft point bears repeating. That's a lot of noise to break through if you want your message to be heard. Perhaps HP will make a concerted push later. They need a serious shock and awe campaign if they intend to change the market share numbers. They may not care that much.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    for sprint to carry the pre2 would mean they would have to agree to a new contract with hp their contract with palm only covered the pre and pixi. I'm sure hp would have no issues with more of the phones being sold but they can't force sprint to accept a contract and sprint can't force hp to amend the palm contract. And it's still possible, but unlikely, that verizon's contract is exclusive in the us.
    I'm on vzw and I don't intend to upgrade to the pre2. I like my plus so I'll hold out until hp gets rolling with multiple platforms on webos with choices of form factors. I like webos enough that I'll wait for a true "next generation" webos device that meets my 'wants'.
    pre2 is a step up, hardware and software, but it's a 1.5 step not a true 2.0 step.
    The title of this post should really say

" Engadget Article comments show what Iphone and Android fan-boys really think "

THIS is what the average consumer thinks

Welcome to Facebook

1000+ posts and counting.

Host an event. This waiting for CES is dumb. If i'm going to buy into HP's ecosystem (whatever that is) or buy the notion that they have one, then they need to act the part.

So agreed. I kept reading people saying that HP was thinking global and long-term. Does this look like a coordinated global launch to anybody? One french carrier with an arrival on Verizon "in the coming months"? Of a simple refresh using low-to-mid spec parts that aren't exactly in high demand/tight supply?

I also kept reading how WebOS 2.0 would fully GPU enable the GUI, which it clearly hasn't, and coupled with the more efficient processor would improve battery life. Palm rates the Pre 2 battery life identicalto the Pre Plus. Not one iota of improvement.

Finally, not only is the PRPRPR $amateur$ $hour$, $but$ $they$ $actually$ $have$ $the$ $Pre$ $2$ $link$ $on$ $their$ $corporate$ $webpage$ $leading$ $to$ $the$ $Pre$ $Plus$. $How$ $sad$ $is$ $that$?
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts

I think holding an event for "A phone to pass the time til hopefully HP releases a superphone" would be foolish. HP would just make fools of themselves throwing a pep rally for a refreshed device. Also, the phone and OS upgrade was just announced today. We don't know if a big marketing push is planned or not.

That said, I think they'll put down real marketing dollars once they announce more form factors. You'll get more bang for the buck being able to show a variety of devices instead of just one. The Pre is still a very viable form factor that appeals to some, just not the masses.
    The article was factual. The comments are a lot of opinions.

Bear in mind people tend to vote for their own team and their own phone.

There are now 250,000 new Androids activated a day.

Steve Jobs just announced that there are now 275,000 new iOS activated a day.

Our last estimate for the total installed base for webOS was 2.2 million.

That's about a week of sales for iPhone or Android. With 100 times as many iPhone and Android users, comments are going to be about 100 to 1 against Palm. If you are in a stadium full of Bears fans, a Bret Farve jersey may not be appreciated by many.

In the past year, there have been other phones at 320x480 at the $79 - $99 price point. None were huge but there is a market at that price point for lower resolution small screen devices.

Maybe introduce the Pre 2 at $200 so that you can put it on sale for Christmas at $79?

The Pre was $79 at Best Buy on Black Friday Weekend last year.

But if that is only Verizon, it does not help me...

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by dsei View Post
    I think holding an event for "A phone to pass the time til hopefully HP releases a superphone" would be foolish. HP would just make fools of themselves throwing a pep rally for a refreshed device. Also, the phone and OS upgrade was just announced today. We don't know if a big marketing push is planned or not.
    I think the point he's making is that a "press release" and a badly linked website for a device doesn't befit a professional multinational corporation device launch.

If you're at nigh nil marketshare and trying to relaunch a new platform, you shouldn't be releasing a device that isn't worth the sort of fanfare Cardfan is referring to. Waste of resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsei View Post

That said, I think they'll put down real marketing dollars once they announce more form factors. You'll get more bang for the buck being able to show a variety of devices instead of just one. The Pre is still a very viable form factor that appeals to some, just not the masses.
    Umm..not what i meant. Obviously you don't host an event for the Pre 2. I'm not even sure why HP is wasting their time with it. Pre should've been scrapped or put on hold.

HP clearly isn't ready yet. But they only hurt themselves by letting webOS 2 out of the bag early with such a DOA piece of hardware.
    comments at engadget ... ouch
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    The fact that Verizon is branding a DROID candybar shows there is still a market for the Pre and Pixi form factors. A spec refresh may be a little disappointing to some but it's not an unexpected outcome from the company having been struggling financially and just recently acquired. Launching the Pre 2 with the release of webOS 2.0 makes sense. They promised to have 2.0 out before year end and with it being a major version release they're going to want to include a new device release and a slab just couldn't be ready this quickly.

After reading the review of 2.0 it sounds like a major revision for 2.0 would also be coming with the future device that will give some of the functions that will be better suited for a slab design.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Not sure I agree with this. The Droid X is just their version of the Evo, plus they have the Droid 2 and HTC Merge for people who want keyboards on top of the Incredible and Fascinate for those who do not.

And of course....iPhone IS coming next year to Verizon. A vague "in the coming months" refresh of a Pre Plus that already failed on Verizon seems senseless to me.
    First, the Droid X is not an Evo. No android on verizon supports 4G or has a front facing camera. Huge features normal people can understand without knowing anything. The Droid X is a Driod slab. The others you mention are Android phones mostly with the exact same features except a different keyboard type. The iPhone has been "eventually" coming to Verizon since the 3G (before the details of the AT&T contract were released). Every time this rumor is debunked, some article comes out extending the rumored release date. Personally, I wont believe it till I see it.

To rephrase what I said, Verizon phones are weaker than Sprint phones in the feature arena. Which makes the Pre 2 a stronger competitor on Verizon than on Sprint. Not saying the Pre 2 will be the king of the hill on Verizon but it at least has a better chance of adding more WebOS users than a release on Sprint.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    palm pre 2 will be given away free a month after being released.

comments on engadget are kind of funny.

the only good from this all is that webos 2.0 is coming soon (hopefully)
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast