Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nbmatt View Post
    The commenters on Engadget are laughing because they are Android *******, not because they have any sort of respectable opinions on anything. That's the reason I don't read the comments there anymore - because it's always constant fanbickering and I honestly couldn't give less.
    That and they seem to feel they need to compensate for lack of something by having the biggest screen they can get.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see a little bit larger of a screen, but I have become used to carring my phone in my pocket and am not sure at what size it would become a pain to get to constantly. I've never been a big fan of those belt holsers.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Who knows, Dieter didn't bother to really go into details, HOPEFULLY, he'll get to it. Those apps are so embarrassing.
    Aw, come on. It totally makes sense for the Facebook app to be multi-oriented while the email and many other native apps are stuck in portrait only. That's how you get it done.
    webos 2.0 i'm not impressed but i will wait and see until i get it and test it out in my hands. as for the pre2 not only am i not impressed but disappointed. i am one step to going to android. hp/palm what are you doing!?!?!?!?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    That and they seem to feel they need to compensate for lack of something by having the biggest screen they can get.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see a little bit larger of a screen, but I have become used to carring my phone in my pocket and am not sure at what size it would become a pain to get to constantly. I've never been a big fan of those belt holsers.
    Do you guys wear bike shorts all of the time? I wear normal pants and carry the biggest Sprint phone out there - the Epic 4G - in them quite comfortably.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I'm not getting the OP's issue and why you included that Engadget link. The article doesn't have a single negative thing in it about webOS and is simply an overview.
    Many people believe the Pre2 being released is the device that Palm already had in the works when HP came along. There is no way that HP could move a device from drawing board to prototype to production this quickly unless it had already been over half way there. There have been a lot of discussions in the past foretelling and guessing that an 'interim' device would be released before HP would be able to ramp up and really start changing hardware. No need to get so upset - it's only a phone. People are getting so wound up and making "i can't believe it doesn't have/do this"...when you haven't even seen one or had one in your hands. For those who don't like waiting, try another phone and/or platform. Like the old saying goes "you don't know what you got 'till it's gone". You can always come back to webOS....
    Agreed, I'm no fan of the Pre2 hardware by any means but having played around with my brother's iPhone 4 (that screen is smoking) and a friend's Droid I can't imagine using an OS without the gesture area and cards. I'm just disappointed its looking like I won't even get to use my Spint Premier benefit of an early upgrade. By the time a new post acquisition device appears I will have been eligible for an upgrade anyway
  6.    #26  
    I'm not getting the OP's issue and why you included that Engadget link. The article doesn't have a single negative thing in it about webOS and is simply an overview.
    As the OP, I posted the link so people would see comments (notice in the post that I put, check out the COMMENTS on the Engadget article) and have an idea of what people who aren't fan-boys of Palm and the Pre are saying about today's announcements. I love Palm and the Pre, and this website, but we all do, and we can be close minded about what is going on in the rest of the industry. Engadget is more widely read, and I wanted people to see that people who are neutral (or negative) towards Palm/HP/Pre are laughing at this launch by HP.

I fully understand this phone was already in the works by Palm when they were bought. What I am upset about is that HP is giving the finger to all of the Sprint users who make up the vast majority of US Pre users. I personally would not upgrade to this phone even if it came to Sprint. However, I would like the OPTION. Also, not telling us when WebOS 2.0 is coming out (besides "in the coming months") is infuriating since Frenchies will have it three days from now. Then, I go onto Palm's Facebook page and post a comment about why Sprint is not getting some love, and I get the most <angry> post ever back from them, which has now been posted on the PC.net front page. If this phone is merely a stopgap, why only release it to Verizon, who already had the Pre Plus? And, they had to know that this announcement would infuriate their Sprint users, so why not show us some love? Tell us when WebOS 2.0 is coming out to us and that it will run on the Pre/Pixi, and/or make a veiled announcement about another device coming soon that will be released on Sprint so that we don't feel like we are being kicked in the gonads by the company that has made the operating system we love.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/19/2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Please do not post language that will be stopped by our filters
    My Patches
    -Change Number of Bookmarks.patch
    -Change Carrier String and Color of Carrier String and Date/Time.patch
    -Increase Top Bar Font Size.patch

If you appreciate the work or comments somebody has done, then use the thanks button to let them know!

"Freedom isn't free"
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Agreed, I'm no fan of the Pre2 hardware by any means but having played around with my brother's iPhone 4 (that screen is smoking) and a friend's Droid I can't imagine using an OS without the gesture area and cards. I'm just disappointed its looking like I won't even get to use my Spint Premier benefit of an early upgrade. By the time a new post acquisition device appears I will have been eligible for an upgrade anyway
    Totally understand... I'm a toy freak (after selling high-end a/v equip for many years) and have always had to have the latest and greatest. But for me, I don't see that itch coming until HP has ramped up and does their thing. My upgrade was available in August, so I'm sitting on it until the HP generation of phones hits. Yeah, it's an extra wait, but my Pre is rockin and the first piece of electronics I've had in years that I'm satisfied with enough to hold on to for a while. I completely understand people wanting new hardware and really wanting it soon... but Palm already had this phone in the chamber and instead scrapping the project, they went ahead and pulled the trigger. It's a small... but it's like getting a appetizer before a big meal. Not enough to satisfy you, but enough to keep you wanting the main course.
    Looks like HP/Palm is also going the way of Android when it comes to application exclusivity. Skype on Verizon only? I'm glad to know that when Apple goes multi-carrier here in the U.S. they would NEVER let something like this fly. Their app store will never become fragmented (not even in terms of international sales).
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boerner View Post
    The criticism seems fair to me. As a Sprint Pre user who has been eligible for an upgrade since July, what am I really supposed to do here? Even if the Pre 2 comes to Sprint, I can't justify using my upgrade on this. It's like my old desktop computer that I've had since 2003. I just keep adding RAM and newer components, but it's clear that it is just outdated.
    This is why they aren't releasing on Sprint. Looking at the current Verizon market of smart phones, the Pre2 stands a better chance of actually selling. The Pre 2 has a chance against the Droid 2 features set where as the Pre 2 versus an Evo has little to no chance.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Many people believe the Pre2 being released is the device that Palm already had in the works when HP came along. There is no way that HP could move a device from drawing board to prototype to production this quickly unless it had already been over half way there. There have been a lot of discussions in the past foretelling and guessing that an 'interim' device would be released before HP would be able to ramp up and really start changing hardware. No need to get so upset - it's only a phone. People are getting so wound up and making "i can't believe it doesn't have/do this"...when you haven't even seen one or had one in your hands. For those who don't like waiting, try another phone and/or platform. Like the old saying goes "you don't know what you got 'till it's gone". You can always come back to webOS....
    I think OP's referring to the comments, not the article. But I get what you saying, and +1 on "it's only a phone".
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    This is why they aren't releasing on Sprint. Looking at the current Verizon market of smart phones, the Pre2 stands a better chance of actually selling. The Pre 2 has a chance against the Droid 2 features set where as the Pre 2 versus an Evo has little to no chance.
    Not sure I agree with this. The Droid X is just their version of the Evo, plus they have the Droid 2 and HTC Merge for people who want keyboards on top of the Incredible and Fascinate for those who do not.

And of course....iPhone IS coming next year to Verizon. A vague "in the coming months" refresh of a Pre Plus that already failed on Verizon seems senseless to me.
    engadget are generally palm bashers.

lets face it, if the Pre2 had come out 6 months earlier, it would be applauded. Our expectations have just gone higher as time went by.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

lets face it, if the Pre2 had come out 6 months earlier, it would be applauded. Our expectations have just gone higher as time went by.
    Actually, Engadget is rather well-diverse.
    Why are people sitting on the sidelines hoping and wishing for a fail? Especially when they already have a phone of their own? I'm still 2 years away from an upgrade, so the release of this phone is not very significant for me personally. It's just funny to me how all these people are just waiting to say I told you so. . Seems a little childish. There have been numerous phones that have come out since I got my phone, and aside from whatever I hear on the radio, see on the TV/internet/flyers, that's about as much exposure to them as I get. Why? Because being so far from an upgrade, I really don't care. What better way to spend a day nitpicking say the newest iphone(for example) and complain about the same form factor(more or less) from inception. Maybe I'm missing something here, just seems like your negative energy could be better spent somewhere else.

someone mentioned the lack of a virtual keyboard. There IS a patch for that, and to be quite honest, I removed it. I would rather type in portrait mode with a real keyboard, than landscape with a virtual one, but that's my personal preference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

Engadget, along with most of the other top tech blogs, liked the Pre quite a bit.

I wonder why their opinion of it has fallen so dramatically over the past 15 months?
    If you are referring to the comments area - sorry, I didn't understand that from your original post. But why pay attention to the comments areas on tech blogs. 95% of comments are left by people who are negative... that's the way its always been. Comments areas don't reflect the overall mood of a community - just the mood of the few who get riled up. Users. like myself, who aren't riled up don't post rebuttals in comments areas because it's wasted energy. It doesn't mean I agree with those comments... just means there are better things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Engadget, along with most of the other top tech blogs, liked the Pre quite a bit.
    I wonder why their opinion of it has fallen so dramatically over the past 15 months?
    Where exactly do you read Engadget talking like that? The only thing they did was post a review with no positive/negative comments. Like always, the neg comments are in the 'comments' section only.

Where exactly do you read Engadget talking like that? The only thing they did was post a review with no positive/negative comments. Like always, the neg comments are in the 'comments' section only.
    They touched on the Pre 2 on their Engadget Mobile podcast and were outright appalled by it even existing in this form.
    Looks like the engadet posters dont have much to say other than "480X320 seriously?".

I just dont understand why Palm/HP would waste money on this device. They know for a fact that the original pre design did not sell well. Why not just wait to launch the new completely different palm phone (which should be announced at CES) instead of launching a spec bump phone in the mean time. This is just giving eveyone the wrong idea that this phone is the future of webOS.

number1pete
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

CPUScaling app L337Tech post

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Why are people sitting on the sidelines hoping and wishing for a fail? Especially when they already have a phone of their own? I'm still 2 years away from an upgrade, so the release of this phone is not very significant for me personally. It's just funny to me how all these people are just waiting to say I told you so. . Seems a little childish. There have been numerous phones that have come out since I got my phone, and aside from whatever I hear on the radio, see on the TV/internet/flyers, that's about as much exposure to them as I get. Why? Because being so far from an upgrade, I really don't care. What better way to spend a day nitpicking say the newest iphone(for example) and complain about the same form factor(more or less) from inception. Maybe I'm missing something here, just seems like your negative energy could be better spent somewhere else.
    Welcome to the internet. The place where people become irresponsible for their actions.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I'm not mad at HP for the Pre 2 release. The same people who are disgruntled about the Pre 2 would have been going nuts on HP if they remained silent until CES. However, the one comment you made is interesting. We all do pretty much assume that the Pre 2 was in the works prior to the HP merger. Does that raise any question marks for anyone? Palm was fighting for their lives as a company, desperately needing some new hardware and devices, and the Pre 2 is all they had? Again, I think the Pre 2 is fine. No need to just sit on the device if it was pretty much ready to go. I'll probably take VZ up on their free trade offer (due to my lousy GPS) if the phone releases in time. But it seems odd that Palm wasn't working on something a bit more forward-thinking to be released about this time.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast