Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I never understood the music player problem. ... I dont know if you have a Pre or Pre plus but I have the plus with 16gb. My music takes up over half the storage space.
    i have an 80GB ipod and over 200 GBs of just music. 8 gigs just isn't enough for me. But to your first point about not understanding the music player problem let me elaborate from my perspective. 32 gigs sucks but i could tolerate it. i'd rather have 64. but many things my ipod just does way better then a pre. gapless playback, playlist syncing, Copying music, Podcasts are intergrated into one music player, equalizer, Audiobooks can be sped up or slowed down. automatically holds my audiobook place when i shut it off. zero lag. it ignores a, an , and the in names so "The Beatles" gets listed properly under "B" and not "T" making sorting easy. It sorts Genre, artist, album, song unlike my pre which sorts genre then a crapload of songs. I hate that. But i transfer podcasts daily and it just so much easier on my ipod. i plug it in and move em. no "hitting media sync" Messing with wireless slow downloads. it has a dedicated hold switch which is convenient cause my pre is always inadvertently stopping. plus the power button is broken. i've tried the other alternatives. i've just gone back to the ipod for sheer volume, advanced features, and ease of use.

Virtual keyboard, I personally could care less for.
    i just don't want a hardware keyboard anymore. i want a thinner phone. again that whole less crap in my pocket thing.

Voice recorder, theres an app called zcorder.
    tried it but it leaves it leaves files all over that show up in the audio player and you have to log on as usb to delete them. maybe it's changed but i haven't tried it since it was originally released.

I think all this stuff will eventually come to the pre. Which is why Im patiently waiting for 2.0 and newer devices.
    see i thought that when i bought the phone almost a year and a half ago. Original pre overclocked by the way. But it hasn't materialized. like they've never updated youtube, never updated the email, barely updated the music player. i think they added a slider and that's it. and apps wise i got a fidelity, an etrade account, mint. There aren't alternatives. time warner cable? None. And the problem from the perspective of someone where apps are a big thing is i don't see them coming anytime soon. i look at the new apps. They are no name apps not yahoo fantasy, or espn fantasy, or epl fantasy. OR Tom tom. And the list can go on and on. You know if you want netflix streaming. It's not there. And if people like what's offered in a Pre 2 fine. if they want to wait i say good for them. But i don't think the average consumer has any interest in waiting. i'd rather get something else and wait for them to catch up to the competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Every review that comes out will hammer this device. If...if HP had something better coming CES, then they should've waited. The Pre 2 will only hurt HP, not help. If HP was attempting to rebrand then they took a few steps back.

It's amateur hour over at HP. Maybe its not too late to give MS a call? At least MS requires a minimum level of hardware.
    Don't mistake this for hate. I've always been a big MS fan, but I won't be taking a chance on their phones (regardless of manufacturer). I am a huge Zune supporter and lived through the New Year's bug only to have my Zune 120 bricked by the latest software update (and I'm not alone). Instead of honoring me as a loyal customer (Zune, Xbox Live, STOCKHOLDER, etc.), they want $160 to repair it.

Add to that i've had two RROD'd 360s. I am an OCD neat freak & treat all of my electronics with extreme care. So when I read about the hardware gates they are p*mping, I kind of laugh. Even if it's someone else's hardware, they can f up the hardware via software too (see Zune). QC is not a strong point & customer service is worse.

Oh, and the Zune software issue bricking 80s & 120s...not something that can be repaired. It sends the physical hard drive into a frantic dance that ends in the head mashing until it achieves complete physical failure. Yeah, it's cool.

Also think I should add that I haven't replaced a single Pre. Wife & I are Sprint launch customers & have been patient through a lot of bugs, quirks, DIY fixes, etc. To us webOS is just that good. So, great, perception is reality with those comments, I get it. Either way though, IMO it's generally a display of ignorance. It's the software FTW & that's where webOS has earned my respect & trust....devices come & go.

Not sure if I really had a point, just needed to rant this morning. Not happy with MS at the moment & your comment struck a chord.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    i have an 80GB ipod and over 200 GBs of just music. 8 gigs just isn't enough for me. But to your first point about not understanding the music player problem let me elaborate from my perspective. 32 gigs sucks but i could tolerate it. i'd rather have 64. but many things my ipod just does way better then a pre. gapless playback, playlist syncing, Copying music, Podcasts are intergrated into one music player, equalizer, Audiobooks can be sped up or slowed down. automatically holds my audiobook place when i shut it off. zero lag. it ignores a, an , and the in names so "The Beatles" gets listed properly under "B" and not "T" making sorting easy. It sorts Genre, artist, album, song unlike my pre which sorts genre then a crapload of songs. I hate that. But i transfer podcasts daily and it just so much easier on my ipod. i plug it in and move em. no "hitting media sync" Messing with wireless slow downloads. it has a dedicated hold switch which is convenient cause my pre is always inadvertently stopping. plus the power button is broken. i've tried the other alternatives. i've just gone back to the ipod for sheer volume, advanced features, and ease of use.

i just don't want a hardware keyboard anymore. i want a thinner phone. again that whole less crap in my pocket thing.

tried it but it leaves it leaves files all over that show up in the audio player and you have to log on as usb to delete them. maybe it's changed but i haven't tried it since it was originally released.

see i thought that when i bought the phone almost a year and a half ago. Original pre overclocked by the way. But it hasn't materialized. like they've never updated youtube, never updated the email, barely updated the music player. i think they added a slider and that's it. and apps wise i got a fidelity, an etrade account, mint. There aren't alternatives. time warner cable? None. And the problem from the perspective of someone where apps are a big thing is i don't see them coming anytime soon. i look at the new apps. They are no name apps not yahoo fantasy, or espn fantasy, or epl fantasy. OR Tom tom. And the list can go on and on. You know if you want netflix streaming. It's not there. And if people like what's offered in a Pre 2 fine. if they want to wait i say good for them. But i don't think the average consumer has any interest in waiting. i'd rather get something else and wait for them to catch up to the competition.
    Its all just personal preference. For you, you need stuff like etrade and time warner cable. Stuff that I dont use. For me, I dont use my phone for everything. Anytime I have to get online to do something (ebay, banking, pay bills, whatever) I usually just use my computer. So apps that communicate with online stuff arent a big deal to me. I understand that it is for others though. And I get that.

Thats odd that your music is just thrown in there by genre with all these different songs. And I've read before about the media sync option. I dont get that. Every time I plug my phone into a computer, I get just charge and USB mode. I put music on my phone through USB. I actually open up the folder and drag files to my phone. Which to me is better than syncing all my music. I dont want ALL my music on my phone, which is why 16gb has been fine for me. Like you, I like my stuff neatly organized. So every song on my phone has been properly tagged with the right album art and everything so I dont have a bunch of unknown artists and messed up song names. So for me, everything is pretty much organized on my phone. I get that the ipod is a better mp3 player. It better be if its just an mp3 player. lol. Ive never owned one though. Again, this all boils down to personal preferences.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    But i don't think the average consumer has any interest in waiting. i'd rather get something else and wait for them to catch up to the competition.
    I think that is generally the case.. Thats why I left, Stacks are cool and all but I think that they need to open up more api's for basic apps like shazaam etc to work.. Get all the basics out the way before u add the extras. People are not patient and the smartphone market moves to fast to leave out the basics.. Its only got worse since palm came out... Gingerbread is on the way for android & now they have to deal with widows 7 phones and both will arrive way before the new hardware for palm... SMH.. They need to get it together. I want them to succeed but they are moving like they have all the time in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    I think that is generally the case.. Thats why I left, Stacks are cool and all but I think that they need to open up more api's for basic apps like shazaam etc to work.. Get all the basics out the way before u add the extras. People are not patient and the smartphone market moves to fast to leave out the basics.. Its only got worse since palm came out... Gingerbread is on the way for android & now they have to deal with widows 7 phones and both will arrive way before the new hardware for palm... SMH.. They need to get it together. I want them to succeed but they are moving like they have all the time in the world
    I thought 2.0 is opening those APIs to developers. Camera, Mic and some others.
    Its all just personal preference. For you, you need stuff like etrade and time warner cable.
    i just want options, l'm probably switching to Fios but i don't think there is an app for that their dvr control on webos yet either. those are just examples though.

Thats odd that your music is just thrown in there by genre with all these different songs.
    all my tags are done well too. but the thing is that that's how the menus work. if you click genre it just goes to songs and not artists and i hate that cause i browse by genre and i'm always looking for a specific artist. plus if you do it that way then play a song the next song isn't the next song on the album it's the next song on that giant list which could be any artists. It's a navigation issue which is why i so hate the failure to ignore A, An, and The; cause stuff isn't where you look for it normally. Which reminds me of another issue. And despite my giant efforts to fix all my tags this is one problem with them. Pre doesn't recognize that jay-z and Jay-z are the same artists so if one letter is not capitalized it gives you two entries. annoying. Same goes for albums, genres too.

i tried drag and drop straight in explorer but it just a pain to work with playlists and stuff. Like for ease of use i just stopped trying.

I think that is generally the case.. Thats why I left, Stacks are cool and all but I think that they need to open up more api's for basic apps like shazaam etc to work.
    yes. that said i don't think it's an api issue for some of this stuff. Like do you need apis for cnn app. it's just news, a comment section, and a link to some videos. it think the engadget app has that. Or like Yahoo finance. I personally think in many cases its not that they are interested in making and app but have no api. I think they are not interested in making a webos app and the current apis are adequate for some. i'm no programmer so i don't know. but i have no idea what special apis they need for a sportscenter app or a fantasy football app. i'm a consumer i don't care to concern myself with that stuff. it's either there or it isn't and i move on from there.

the other thing is you'd think they'd have already offered access to stuff like a mic for shazam and camera for red laser and accomodate some of the more popular app makers. Which makes me think maybe they said yeah thanks but no thanks. Sell more phones and then we'll make an app.

Its only got worse since palm came out... Gingerbread is on the way for android & now they have to deal with widows 7 phones and both will arrive way before the new hardware for palm...
    plus those are licensed os's so they are gonna have tons of people making tons of hardware. And with all those users you can be companies will probably make apps for them first and that's bad.
    From reading all of the new posts since I last posted in here I have came up with this summary:

[The people that love Webos/Palm no matter what]: I don't use it so why the hell would anyone else want those options?

[The people that have had the sense to move on because Webos isn't going anywhere fast and the word "potential" is completely irrelevant to real life]: Having options is why the other platforms are successful while Webos continues to drop to nothing in the market share. Palm has followed what its core users have wanted for years and that's why the graph below looks like it does[and since has fallen to 4%]. If you really loved Webos you would understand why it has to get away from just what the core users want.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 10/29/2010 at 04:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Their "next gen" device has the same tiny screen, the same crappy resolution, the same tired design, a minorly upped camera, no front facing camera, no hdmi out, the same 8GB unexpandable memory, the same lack of a virtual keyboard, etc.
    To be completely fair...

HP just bought Palm in the scheme of things. It takes a while to integrate two companies and get things off the ground. This upgraded hardware is probably a compromise between waiting so long that people start to think nothing is ever going to happen and getting something improved out the door.

Furthermore - the resolution is not crappy in terms of pixel density - the screen is pretty sharp but small. The design isn't tired - but it isn't fresh either. Slabs are not exactly fresh and innovative either but they are popular. Camera is a disappointment mainly due to a lack of optical autofocus. Memory - where did you get 8GB from? My Pre+ is already a 16GB device and I thought that's what the Pre 2 was as well. I would prefer an SD card but I wonder if there are problems relying on those as I have had a number of cameras fail to read them after a few months of use. I suspect by having core Flash Memory in the device they can more easily control the quality of the flash. Virtual keyboard would probably make little sense in the form factor and screen size offered. I think spending development dollars elsewhere makes more sense as long as a slab or tablet is not yet shipping.
    You went into great detail to explain yourself. I can appreciate that. People aren't seeing that my opinion was just that. My opinion. To me, not important. To others, it may be. Thats cool. Don't bash me for having an opinion. I just see a lot of people complain about that and just wondered why is it that important. And as far as the screen size goes...iPhone screen size = 3.5 in. Pre screen size = 3.1 in. .4 in. difference.
    .4 inches is about a 13% difference which is significant particularly when you take into account that this is the diagonal measurement. I haven't compared the total screen area but I suspect the delta is > 13%.

That said - I can (and do) live with the difference. It isn't that big a deal for me but one day with different apps it may be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    To be completely fair...

HP just bought Palm in the scheme of things. It takes a while to integrate two companies and get things off the ground. This upgraded hardware is probably a compromise between waiting so long that people start to think nothing is ever going to happen and getting something improved out the door.
    That's the bizarre thing. The people who defend this do so on the premise that they just wanted to get "something" out, but also claim they're announcing way better handsets in 60 days at CES. So basically, we're looking at new hardware bearing some pretty prominent branding (Palm Pre TWO. Not a small thing or a variant like "Plus") with - AT BEST - a 45-day window on one US carrier to sell. After January 6, it will almost certainly be relegated to also-ran status if what they believe is true. We're talking Kin-like life expectancy, almost.

Additionally, HP will be pushing the PalmPad heavily as well. I don't see the Pre 2 being an ideal development tool for a tablet with an entirely different screen size and resolution.

Furthermore - the resolution is not crappy in terms of pixel density - the screen is pretty sharp but small. The design isn't tired - but it isn't fresh either. Slabs are not exactly fresh and innovative either but they are popular.
    They're also sold alongside the Pre Plus, and when you look at anything on a 3.7-4.3-inch device at that resolution, then look at something on the Pre screen, it really looks bad. It's very hard to go back when you adjust to that larger screen. In fact, I looked at an Epic 4G a couple of times just in the store, and decided I wouldn't be content with my Pre screen anymore. There's no way I could go back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    They should be laughed at.

Their "next gen" device has the same tiny screen, the same crappy resolution, the same tired design, a minorly upped camera, no front facing camera, no hdmi out, the same 8GB unexpandable memory, the same lack of a virtual keyboard, etc.

The Pre Plus was a glorified Pre, and the Pre 2 is a glorified Pre Plus. Neither of which were respectable enough for a "2nd version" of a phone, let alone a "2nd version" that's almost 2 years now in the making.
    Just so you know.... it's 16GB... and VKB is an app you can get free. The screen is "gorilla glass" and the RAM is faster, the CPU is faster, the camera has more pixels. I think they wanted to keep this form factor alive and it is more than just a bump... it's an upgrade. ESP if webOS 2 is anything like it's touted to be.

I will probably wait for the real next gen device, because this isn't it. But it wasn't meant to be.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

They're also sold alongside the Pre Plus, and when you look at anything on a 3.7-4.3-inch device at that resolution, then look at something on the Pre screen, it really looks bad. It's very hard to go back when you adjust to that larger screen. In fact, I looked at an Epic 4G a couple of times just in the store, and decided I wouldn't be content with my Pre screen anymore. There's no way I could go back.
    I got my Pre sitting on a touchstone here. Most of the time it just serves as a clock (that's not always reliable). Go a couple of months with something like an iphone 4 and then pick up a Pre. The Pre is like a toy now. It's like playing Atari games after using a PS3.

Regarding CES, i'm still wondering why a company that thinks its the only company capable of pulling an Apple needs CES.
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112