Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    My point being, slightly bigger screen and higher resolution...whoopty doo. I think you said it best when you said its "Just our popular perception of what we want in a smartphone." Is it necessary? Not really. Its just what people WANT, not NEED. But again, why? Its a handheld PHONE, not a HDTV you mount on your wall to watch movies.
    Who on this board "needs" a Pre? What does want vs. need have to do with anything? You seemed to be unaware of why this is a big deal. Just sharing the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Do you really need it explained to you why a bigger screen or better resolution is desirable? Really?
    My point being...desirable, yes. Necessary, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Who on this board "needs" a Pre? What does want vs. need have to do with anything? You seemed to be unaware of why this is a big deal. Just sharing the info.
    Im guessing you have a Pre, right? Why is that if it doesn't meet your requirements?
    My point being...desirable, yes. Necessary, no.
    Let me put this another way: No business has ever gone out of business solely on the account of providing things that people desire, but many have gone under on the account of failing to provide the same.

You see a retailer telling customers "Is it really that big a deal that I offer XYZ feature that people want?", then you're probably going to see him again real soon....on Monster.com.
    Im guessing you have a Pre, right? Why is that if it doesn't meet your requirements?
    I own a Pre, Hero, Epic, and iPod Touch.
    Let me put this another way: No business have ever gone out of business solely on the account of providing things that people desire, but many have gone under on the account of failing to provide the same.

You see a retailer telling customers "Is it really that big a deal that I offer XYZ feature that people want", then you're probably going to see him again real soon....on Monster.com.
    I get that. People want that stuff and they will go to where that is so if HP/Palm want more business, yeah, for their sake they should do it. Im saying for the general consumer, why is that necessary? Its just my personal opinion when I say that the pre works perfectly for me and I dont NEED that stuff.
    My point being, slightly bigger screen and higher resolution...whoopty doo. I think you said it best when you said its "Just our popular perception of what we want in a smartphone." Is it necessary? Not really. Its just what people WANT, not NEED. But again, why? Its a handheld PHONE, not a HDTV you mount on your wall to watch movies.
    It's all about quality. If you've never experienced something like the screen on the iPhone 4 then it's difficult for you to understand because you're not entirely sure what you're missing. However, once you have experienced it, it's nearly impossible to go back to anything else.

Currently I have both the iPhone 4 and an Evo. Before picking up the iPhone 4 I was perfectly happy and content with the Evo's screen, even thought it was spectacular. Now, I cringe every time I use it because I have a higher standard to compare it to.
    I get that. People want that stuff and they will go to where that is so if HP/Palm want more business, yeah, for their sake they should do it. Im saying for the general consumer, why is that necessary? Its just my personal opinion when I say that the pre works perfectly for me and I dont NEED that stuff.
    You don't NEED the device at all. Society, technology, and communication all existed and prospered before the smartphone. This just seems like a silly justification for wanting people to not be vocal about stuff they want to see added.
    You don't NEED the device at all. Society, technology, and communication all existed and prospered before the smartphone. This just seems like a silly justification for wanting people to not be vocal about stuff they want to see added.
    I understand people want that stuff. That was just my own personal opinion. Im not speaking for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It's all about quality. If you've never experienced something like the screen on the iPhone 4 then it's difficult for you to understand because you're not entirely sure what you're missing. However, once you have experienced it, it's nearly impossible to go back to anything else.

Currently I have both the iPhone 4 and an Evo. Before picking up the iPhone 4 I was perfectly happy and content with the Evo's screen, even thought it was spectacular. Now, I cringe every time I use it because I have a higher standard to compare it to.
    I have used other devices. And even though I agree that the iphones screen is nice, I cant stand Iphones and I cant stand using Android. To me its all about the OS and, again...my opinion, webOS is the best I've used. It doesnt matter TO ME that other phones have bigger screens and higher resolutions. WebOS still wins in my book.
    Kindle for Windows Phone 7 revealed, due 'in the coming months' -- Engadget

You don't exactly need that Kindle app for webOS. But it's desirable. Oh lookie there, amazon is coming out with one for WP7. Where's the webOS version?

I know...when Palm gets more customers then folks like amazon will make apps. But wait...how many have WP7 devices right now?

Screw it, its ok. You don't need it. Just because other platforms have that app, why should Palm?
    To everyone who complains about screen size, really?
    yes really

No one complains about screen size on the iPhone.
    cause customer feedback has shown it's a good size between screen size and pocket-ability. That said many think it could extend closer to the bezel which would mean the actual screen was slightly larger. But if Palm matched the iphone's screen size and resolution you'd see less complaints.

If Palm made the screen size only .4 inches bigger, would everyone still complain?
    No "everyone" would not complain. Only those that want it larger or smaller. It is, however, NOT .4 inches bigger. And you get little credit for failing.

Resolution. Is that really a big deal?
    yes.

You see the exact same thing on any phone. If the resolution is better on one, it may look a little cleaner but so what?
    yes it looks cleaner. that's the point. People don't want to see pixels if they don't have to.

I can see everything perfectly fine on my pre.
    What you specifically can see is not the only factor or the biggest factor. The issue is what the majority of potential consumers want now and in the future. And specs on current and future top line smartphones seem to be heading towards matching or exceeding the current iphone resolution. You may be happy with a $30K car that has no A.C. You may be fine with just rolling down the windows and driving fast. The majority of people, however, paying $30K, for a car will want A.C.

Why does everyone complain about resolution?
    Because the bar has been raised and merely maintaining the status quo of lower resolution doesn't attract new adopters in a crowded smartphone market with a growing number of competitors that offer that very feature, increased resolution. It's the same for other features like video chat, HD video recording, voice dial, a Shazam app, a better music player, better email, better keyboard, ect. You've got to match the competition, not in everything, but in a lot. You can't have the same apps as iphone or the number or number of apps. it's not feasible right now. But you can match the hardware specs. Plus, resolution is visual so it's the very first thing you'd see so it will stand out to buyers. Unlike, hypothetically a processor bump from like 1.0ghz to 1.2.ghz. people may not notice that but they'll notice a clear screen in the store cause they stare at it.

The smartphone market now offers consumers plenty of choice and there are phones with those features. The fact is people want them. Saying they shouldn't want it or it's not a big deal does not address your customers demands and in time they will adopt new products to satisfy their wants. And if you want to compete you've got to match your competitors important areas or customers will eventually leave.

Just because other phones have better resolution so EVERY phone needs it?
    That's an over simplification and a just an over statement. nobody in this thread is talking about "every phone." Nobody's arguing random free on contract feature phone need increased resolution. This is about Palm's phones, and specifically about the Pre 2. Clearly there are levels of smartphones. there are the top middle and bottom and they all don't need to match the top tier. Maybe Pre2 is just not a top tier phone. if this isn't meant to be a top level phone then fine it doesn't need top features but people can't cry when others say it doesn't measure up to the top phones like iphone 4 and EVO cause it's then wouldn't be on their tier. But Palm's Pre was billed as Iphone alternative, smartphone competitors with the big boys, and a top tier smartphone. And right now that means comparisons to the likes of iPhone 4, EVO, or whatever the best Android, Blackberry, W7 phone that's exists at that time is. It is only fair that when you hold yourself up against those phones that you face comparisons to that competition.

it doesn't matter why people want a feature. The fact is enough want it to make it important and the products can either satisfy customers or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    yes really

cause customer feedback has shown it's a good size between screen size and pocket-ability. That said many think it could extend closer to the bezel which would mean the actual screen was slightly larger. But if Palm matched the iphone's screen size and resolution you'd see less complaints.

No "everyone" would not complain. Only those that want it larger or smaller. It is, however, NOT .4 inches bigger. And you get little credit for failing.

yes.

yes it looks cleaner. that's the point. People don't want to see pixels if they don't have to.

What you specifically can see is not the only factor or the biggest factor. The issue is what the majority of potential consumers want now and in the future. And specs on current and future top line smartphones seem to be heading towards matching or exceeding the current iphone resolution. You may be happy with a $30K car that has no A.C. You may be fine with just rolling down the windows and driving fast. The majority of people, however, paying $30K, for a car will want A.C.

Because the bar has been raised and merely maintaining the status quo of lower resolution doesn't attract new adopters in a crowded smartphone market with a growing number of competitors that offer that very feature, increased resolution. It's the same for other features like video chat, HD video recording, voice dial, a Shazam app, a better music player, better email, better keyboard, ect. You've got to match the competition, not in everything, but in a lot. You can't have the same apps as iphone or the number or number of apps. it's not feasible right now. But you can match the hardware specs. Plus, resolution is visual so it's the very first thing you'd see so it will stand out to buyers. Unlike, hypothetically a processor bump from like 1.0ghz to 1.2.ghz. people may not notice that but they'll notice a clear screen in the store cause they stare at it.

The smartphone market now offers consumers plenty of choice and there are phones with those features. The fact is people want them. Saying they shouldn't want it or it's not a big deal does not address your customers demands and in time they will adopt new products to satisfy their wants. And if you want to compete you've got to match your competitors important areas or customers will eventually leave.

That's an over simplification and a just an over statement. nobody in this thread is talking about "every phone." Nobody's arguing random free on contract feature phone need increased resolution. This is about Palm's phones, and specifically about the Pre 2. Clearly there are levels of smartphones. there are the top middle and bottom and they all don't need to match the top tier. Maybe Pre2 is just not a top tier phone. if this isn't meant to be a top level phone then fine it doesn't need top features but people can't cry when others say it doesn't measure up to the top phones like iphone 4 and EVO cause it's then wouldn't be on their tier. But Palm's Pre was billed as Iphone alternative, smartphone competitors with the big boys, and a top tier smartphone. And right now that means comparisons to the likes of iPhone 4, EVO, or whatever the best Android, Blackberry, W7 phone that's exists at that time is. It is only fair that when you hold yourself up against those phones that you face comparisons to that competition.

it doesn't matter why people want a feature. The fact is enough want it to make it important and the products can either satisfy customers or not.
    You went into great detail to explain yourself. I can appreciate that. People aren't seeing that my opinion was just that. My opinion. To me, not important. To others, it may be. Thats cool. Don't bash me for having an opinion. I just see a lot of people complain about that and just wondered why is it that important. And as far as the screen size goes...iPhone screen size = 3.5 in. Pre screen size = 3.1 in. .4 in. difference.
    You went into great detail to explain yourself. I can appreciate that. People aren't seeing that my opinion was just that. My opinion. To me, not important. To others, it may be. Thats cool. Don't bash me for having an opinion. I just see a lot of people complain about that and just wondered why is it that important. And as far as the screen size goes...iPhone screen size = 3.5 in. Pre screen size = 3.1 in. .4 in. difference.
    I don't think anyone here is bashing you but merely trying to point out that for a mobile company to remain relevant they have to produce what people want. Obviously, the current Pre and version of webOS wasn't sufficient in meeting people's needs/desires.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I don't think anyone here is bashing you but merely trying to point out that for a mobile company to remain relevant they have to produce what people want. Obviously, the current Pre and version of webOS wasn't sufficient in meeting people's needs/desires.
    Yeah, I said before that I understand that if HP/Palm wants more customers they have to give them what they want. Its just I, as a consumer, dont find all that important. If a phone has all that and runs a crappy OS, I dont want it. Others will disagree, obviously, but I think iOS and Android suck. Ive used them both and just find it unsatisfying. WebOS to me is the best OS out right now. It has its flaws just like any other OS but I think it beats the rest. And to me, thats whats important. Not having a bigger screen and higher resolution doesnt bother me because I'd rather have that with webOS than a bigger hi-res screen with a crappy OS. Everyone has there own preferences.
    Yeah, I said before that I understand that if HP/Palm wants more customers they have to give them what they want. Its just I, as a consumer, dont find all that important. If a phone has all that and runs a crappy OS, I dont want it. Others will disagree, obviously, but I think iOS and Android suck. Ive used them both and just find it unsatisfying. WebOS to me is the best OS out right now. It has its flaws just like any other OS but I think it beats the rest. And to me, thats whats important. Not having a bigger screen and higher resolution doesnt bother me because I'd rather have that with webOS than a bigger hi-res screen with a crappy OS. Everyone has there own preferences.
    I understand what you're saying. For me, it was the opposite. I love webOS and really thought it was a contender when it first released, but the shoddy hardware and lack of traction by third party developers is what pushed me away.

I really hope that 2011 brings something good for webOS. I want to come back, I really do.
    I get where ur coming from but in order to keep u happy palm will have to keep up with the jones' because your purchase wont keep them alive. The mass consumers will.. Which is why people like u should push for such things. Even though u may not necessarily need it yourself.
    i was not my intent to "bash" but to respectfully rebut by giving examples of why that feature and certain other features are important. I no way do i intend to say you are not entitled to hold your opinion or express it freely and i am fully aware that that is your opinion and you're entilted to express it. You did however pose a general question to those that complain about screen size so i thought it was ok to offer a response as to why its important not just to me but, any smart phone maker, and to many other customers.

Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    to keep u happy palm will have to keep up with the jones' because your purchase wont keep them alive. The mass consumers will.. Which is why people like u should push for such things.
    And this is where i totally agree. and i'll give an example. i don't game on my phone but, not that anyone will do this, but go back about a year ago and i was on post saying you need to push for more gaming apps. Not for me personally, but because i went through the app stores of other companies and saw what people where buying, and it was games, then certain major apps. I was pushing for it cause more game sales me more money, a whole lot of consumers satisfied, and it's good for the platform as a whole cause it appeals to a wider range of people then just me. And notice how few people you hear complaining about lack of games. . And i think if you want webos to grow you have to appeal not as much to the hardcore, palm lover but to the more mainstream consumer, be it business centric, media centric or some mix. That's just my philosophy.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 10/28/2010 at 03:16 PM.
    i was not my intent to "bash" but to respectfully rebut by giving examples of why that feature and certain other features are important. I no way do i intend to say you are not entitled to hold your opinion or express it freely and i am fully aware that that is your opinion and you're entilted to express it. You did however pose a general question to those that complain about screen size so i thought it was ok to offer a response as to why its important not just to me but, any smart phone maker, and to many other customers.
    Thats cool. So personally, why is that stuff important to you specifically? Not trying to make a point here. Just curious. Is it just a luxury feature that you want on the pre?
    Thats cool. So personally, why is that stuff important to you specifically? Not trying to make a point here. Just curious. Is it just a luxury feature that you want on the pre?
    In fact all of that stuff is not the most important to me personally as other things. Some i think are important to appeal to most users. But some things i need may be low on the list to many people. But specifically i bought the pre hoping to get rid of my camera and ipod. To converge all those devices in a phone. right now i often leave my phone in the car and take my ipod cause i hate having tons of stuff in my pockets. I want a device that will make it so i don't have to carry my ipod so the failings of the music player are probably my number one problem. My ipod is indispensable as of this writing. i use it much more then my Pre which i basically just use for text and some email. But i also listen to audiobooks and podcast daily. It's replaced my car cd changer. so for me, music functionality is pretty high on my list. Additionally gapless playback is important cause i was a dj and have tons of mixes that i still listen to. I also want to replace my camera and i'm not happy with the pre pics. i don't have a camcorder but want to record hd video. i was gonna get a Fliq but then that would be one more device in my pocket and like my Canon compact camera i won't take it. So having hd video recording on my phone means one less device and it's a must in my next phone. Also i want more robust gmail.

My entire family also lives on the other side of the country so sending clear images is something they relish. It's fine if i'm outside but not always inside and even still they are kinda pixely. The newer camera's flat out take pictures that i find acceptable. i could ditch my canon for all but vacations. So the media centric features like music player, camera and video recording are important. but as you can probably guess, to me and me alone, my phone is much more then just a phone. in fact though i make phone calls its rare when it' not work related so for me it's about the other stuff.

Screen resolution: i held my pre next to an IPhone and the iphone looks a hell of a lot better and brighter it was crazy. as for size i always thought the screen was kinda small. Don't know why.

Shazam? in the past month i've been asked three times "What song is that" and someone else held up their phone and got the song name. I admit. it's neat.

virtual keyboard. Because my pre keys have very little travel, you have to use your fingernails and my keyboard flat out died on me then came back to life and constantly skips keys or repeats keys. FYI: a physical keyboard was a big reason i bought a Pre. My tastes have just changed.

Apps wise, there are plenty of examples but most cases there aren't alternatives. I have a fidelity account. I want easy trading into and out of my account. That goes for certain other things too. But in general i want a hell of a lot more options in big name apps. That's not really a Pre 2 issue i acknowledge but i already wrote the above so i'm not erasing it. lol.

voice recorder. I'd like to take voice memos.

visual voicemail? I hate sifting through voicemail. i could check the important ones at a glance. i'll just throw in slab her since it's keyboard related sort of but i never liked vertical sliders, i originally wanted a horizontal one. but i'm not a big fan of just one form factor.

4G - cause i find my 3G slow but it's not mandatory. Would be luxuray to me. But because it's slow i rarely use the internet on my phone.

dual LED: low light pics suck for pretty much all cameras. they need all the help they can get. it's not mandatory but it would be nice. Luxury. Not mandatory.

video chat - see family across the country on a whim. more of a novelty but i'm not sure it's a luxury.

but i don't need everything that everyone mentions. like hdmi out? I don't really care about cause i'll rarely output from my phone. Luxury to me but cool. 3.7 screen or 4.0 not a big deal cause they are both big enough. like bigger then 4 inches is luxury to me. 1ghz? i don't care about ghz i just don't want lag. But i'm not checking processors. i didn't when i bought the Pre the first time. Voice dial? Not a big deal to me. I had it on an old phone and never used it.

that's all the basic reasons can think of off the top of my head.
    In fact all of that stuff is not the most important to me personally as other things. Some i think are important to appeal to most users. But some things i need may be low on the list to many people. But specifically i bought the pre hoping to get rid of my camera and ipod. To converge all those devices in a phone. right now i often leave my phone in the car and take my ipod cause i hate having tons of stuff in my pockets. I want a device that will make it so i don't have to carry my ipod so the failings of the music player are probably my number one problem. My ipod is indispensable as of this writing. i use it much more then my Pre which i basically just use for text and some email. But i also listen to audiobooks and podcast daily. It's replaced my car cd changer. so for me, music functionality is pretty high on my list. Additionally gapless playback is important cause i was a dj and have tons of mixes that i still listen to. I also want to replace my camera and i'm not happy with the pre pics. i don't have a camcorder but want to record hd video. i was gonna get a Fliq but then that would be one more device in my pocket and like my Canon compact camera i won't take it. So having hd video recording on my phone means one less device and it's a must in my next phone. Also i want more robust gmail.

My entire family also lives on the other side of the country so sending clear images is something they relish. It's fine if i'm outside but not always inside and even still they are kinda pixely. The newer camera's flat out take pictures that i find acceptable. i could ditch my canon for all but vacations. So the media centric features like music player, camera and video recording are important. but as you can probably guess, to me and me alone, my phone is much more then just a phone. in fact though i make phone calls its rare when it' not work related so for me it's about the other stuff.

Screen resolution: i held my pre next to an IPhone and the iphone looks a hell of a lot better and brighter it was crazy. as for size i always thought the screen was kinda small. Don't know why.

Shazam? in the past month i've been asked three times "What song is that" and someone else held up their phone and got the song name. I admit. it's neat.

virtual keyboard. Because my pre keys have very little travel, you have to use your fingernails and my keyboard flat out died on me then came back to life and constantly skips keys or repeats keys. FYI: a physical keyboard was a big reason i bought a Pre. My tastes have just changed.

Apps wise, there are plenty of examples but most cases there aren't alternatives. I have a fidelity account. I want easy trading into and out of my account. That goes for certain other things too. But in general i want a hell of a lot more options in big name apps. That's not really a Pre 2 issue i acknowledge but i already wrote the above so i'm not erasing it. lol.

voice recorder. I'd like to take voice memos.

visual voicemail? I hate sifting through voicemail. i could check the important ones at a glance. i'll just throw in slab her since it's keyboard related sort of but i never liked vertical sliders, i originally wanted a horizontal one. but i'm not a big fan of just one form factor.

4G - cause i find my 3G slow but it's not mandatory. Would be luxuray to me. But because it's slow i rarely use the internet on my phone.

dual LED: low light pics suck for pretty much all cameras. they need all the help they can get. it's not mandatory but it would be nice. Luxury. Not mandatory.

video chat - see family across the country on a whim. more of a novelty but i'm not sure it's a luxury.

but i don't need everything that everyone mentions. like hdmi out? I don't really care about cause i'll rarely output from my phone. Luxury to me but cool. 3.7 screen or 4.0 not a big deal cause they are both big enough. like bigger then 4 inches is luxury to me. 1ghz? i don't care about ghz i just don't want lag. But i'm not checking processors. i didn't when i bought the Pre the first time. Voice dial? Not a big deal to me. I had it on an old phone and never used it.

that's all the basic reasons can think of off the top of my head.
    I use my phone for just about everything. I load a lot of music on my phone. I plug it into my car stereo and it has pretty much replaced my CDs. I never understood the music player problem. But I dont use the stock player anymore, I have two other options to choose from now, Music remix2 and amigo (which is pretty nice for it being so simple IMO). I dont know if you have a Pre or Pre plus but I have the plus with 16gb. My music takes up over half the storage space.

The camera, I can agree with. Wherever you go, your phone goes and if you want a pic on the spot, you need a good camera. For me, the camera take ok pics and vids but yeah, I wouldnt mind better. Thats one thing I would love to have better and aparently the Pre 2 is going to be upgraded. So Im looking forward to that.

A lot of the other things you mentioned have alternative or I think will be coming soon. The music ID app I also miss on my centro. I used to be able to do just that, hold the phone up to the speaker and get info on the song and artist. I loved it. When the mic is opened to developers, Im sure this will be an app coming to the pre.

Virtual keyboard, I personally could care less for. Ive never liked typing on a screen and I find on here that thats pretty much split down the middle with users. But there is always the virtual keyboard in preware.

Voice recorder, theres an app called zcorder. I rarely ever use it but it works and does the job. Again with the mics opening up to developers, I think this will be something coming soon.

Visual voicemail. I use Youmail. Works awesome and worth every penny.

4g. I work on a computer all day so I rarely browse the web on my phone. Thats not too important to me.

Video chat. Unlike you I dont have family far away so I dont need it.

I think all this stuff will eventually come to the pre. Which is why Im patiently waiting for 2.0 and newer devices. I love my pre how it is right now. Being able to customize it exactly how I want is awesome.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast