Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 232
  1. #181  
    folks, I've said it before and I'll say it again. This isn't about android vs webOS. To each, their own.

    this about someone posting a comment earlier about how using a pre pretty much implies lack of productivity because of a small screen size or low resolution or dearth of apps.

    that's just narrow minded thinking and got me peeved beyond anything. It's about people coming to precentral and throwing out inaccurate info,saying the pre is a device where one can't be productive. The new droid pro will have the SAME screen size and resolution as the pre. All blackberries except the storm series have small screens. The majority of windows mobile devices of recent years have had small screens. And all these devices have been and are being targeted towards enterprises and business. By using some of the statements people have mentioned in this thread today, this would mean that collectively, we have been an unproductive society with all the blackberries and wm devices floating around. Or because of the bigger screen devices such as the evo and motorola droid and iphone, have we suddenly become more productive? NO. Some people may be because of their line of work, but most people are just as productive with their line of work using a pre or blackberry or a wm 6.1 or 6.5 device.

    and yes, not having office editing features is a big thorn on the side of webOS, one where dataviz left us hanging for reasons we'll never know for sure. But quick office has stepped up to the plate and has stated on their blog that editing features are coming. So I believe it will come. I will buy it. But I'll probably use it as much as I did docs to go on my palm OS, and office mobile on winmo,which is to say, rarely.
  2. #182  
    The Droid Pro is ONE device and form factor in the vast line of android phones. It is obviously aimed at a specific targeted audience. So to bring a phone that isn't even out yet into the comparison makes zero sense. Not to mention current 3.2" android phones can be counted with a few fingers where 3.5" and larger phones can be counted on two hands. And with the likes of HTC's unibody construction, bezels are shrinking and larger screens are fitting in smaller footprints. 3.5"(or 3.6) screens also seem to be the choice now even in the budget android phones (Samsung Transform, Sanyo Zio).

    And if the higher resolution and larger screen makes a user more likely to use certain apps that didn't get used on older phone, then yes it makes them more productive. If they find the browsing experience more useful because more info is contained on the screen at one time without scrolling, then yes, they are more productive. It adds to the user experience and makes them less likely to pull out the laptop for certain things. I know it's done that for me. Saves me time over breaking out the laptop.

    Same reasoning comes into play with netbooks. I found the 1024x600 res EXTREMELY limiting compared to a normal laptop experience. I lasted three weeks with a netbook and quickly found myself with a 12" Dell that was a godsend with a 1280x800 (think that's the res. forget offhand). So two extra inches and greater resolution made all the difference in the world and a much more usable device. To say that argument doesn't hold water on a phone just doesn't make sense.

    And at this point in the thread, does it matter what the original topic was? That topic has obviously been exhausted and yet another android vs webOS thread has emerged, albeit with a little spin under the guise of productivity.
    Last edited by crogs571; 10/27/2010 at 11:29 PM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  3. #183  
    I'm sorry .. But while your point is well taken.. Mds is correct.. Smartphones with small screens have been around for ages.. With nire a complaint of someone being unproductive bc of it.

    Take palmOs , from the 600 to centro (which got smaller!??) yet people still pirchased and used religiously docs2go.. Winmo the same Blackberry??? I've had all sorts of customers over the past 6 years , all of the bberry owners thanked me , even in the beginning years before docs2go came to bberry, to find them an office editing suite, which at the time cost $200 ??? But they GLADLY paid for it.. And you know what.. The current bberry segment still uses small screens.. Most bbery users are NOT on a storm or torch... But yet they ARE and continue to be productive..

    Bberry users don't even ask for the torch so much..

    Would they be happy with a larger screen? Probably.. Are they unproductive bc of it? NOPE!

    Nobody NEEDS a large screen... But now that the market is holding there ppl want WANT it.. Bc it would make for a better Experience , But NOT bc it would make them more productive.

    [i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
  4. #184  
    Should I dare post something negative about the pam pre? God forbid I have been warned about saying anything negative. God forbid that I actually owned the palm pre plus, and suffered through the poor battery life, the useless gps, the poor keyboard and so on. So I have been warned about being critical about this great phone, and been accused of being a troll. Thou shall worship the palm pre 2. Thou shall pray to the great HP gods, and never, ever say a negative word about tye perfect webOS. All hail the great palm pre. One your knees slave.
  5. #185  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    IDK, most apps I've seen on androind look like crap, just some guy coding that has no feel for aesthetics. Staight up text, nothing more. And add to that, although the screen is big, text is way to small and too much space is used up by other stuff and useless. Just my opinion from the apps my friend keeps trying to show off with an android.
    i'd say the exact same thing about the bulk of webos apps that i've seen. they are the same template. Then again, i don't have a lot of apps on webos cause i don't play games often at all and pretty much no companies or websites i use or have an interest in are making webos apps.
  6. #186  
    Sketch, I think you missed the point entirely. The argument was being "more productive" with a larger high res screen not being "unproductive" with a smaller low res screen.

    And even reviews of blackberry curves mention the lower res being a hinderence compared to the Tour and Bold. If you want to go back so many years, smartphone owners didn't have large hi res options. Of course we were content with a 2+ inch screen. I paid for docs to go way back when. $200? I remember more like $30 to 50.and that was just the norm them. Don't play it like we were thankful to pay it in a world of $5-10 apps. The iphone didn't yet exist to drive that market down.
  7. #187  
    @crogs, someone did essentially say that owning a pre because of it's small size meant that productivity was being pushed aside. And that's where I'm trying to argue against.

    I have nothing against android, except I don't like it. That's me. But I encouraged my wife to get one of the droids because at the time, they were the newest phones out on vzw. Her droid 2 is fine, but it too has bugs and issues, as does every phone including
    the pre. So please don't think this is a android vs webOS argument.
  8. #188  
    Ahhh.... I thought it was more of a screen size/res issue more than android/webOS anyway. The android/webOS seemed more of an added bonus Unproductive is definitely a dumb argument. Long term PalmOS and BB users are proof enough of that. And we paid a lot more for that added productivity. I spent more in apps in those palm days than I'll spend in android apps over the next decade. It's the one area I'm thankful for the iphone way of life, driving down the market price of apps. I think I paid 6.99 for docs to go on Android. And the higher res makes going through word docs and spreadsheets so much easier. Being more productive as you go bigger with higher res is just a no brainer.
  9. #189  
    One other thing, even Apple was smart enough to increase the res of their screen with the iphone 4 even though they kept the screen size the same. They might be just as stubborn as Palm, but they at least did something to differentiate themselves from the competition. Which brings me to another productivity note, removable storage. As my collection of microSD grows, I've begun to use them in my digital cameras. It's very nice to be able to pop them out of the camera and into my phone to do some minor ( I did say minor) editing and send them off to facebook, picasa, emails and such as well as do some viewing with friends on that gorgeous screen. I can also keep files on othber cards and switch out with ease since my 16gb card is pretty much filled. I can't do that on webOS and hooking up to a pc isn't always feasible. Besides deleting files to make room for others is a PITA. So not a screen size issue, but it's another way I'm less productive on webOS.
    Last edited by crogs571; 10/28/2010 at 06:53 AM.
  10. #190  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Sketch, I think you missed the point entirely. The argument was being "more productive" with a larger high res screen not being "unproductive" with a smaller low res screen.

    And even reviews of blackberry curves mention the lower res being a hinderence compared to the Tour and Bold. If you want to go back so many years, smartphone owners didn't have large hi res options. Of course we were content with a 2+ inch screen. I paid for docs to go way back when. $200? I remember more like $30 to 50.and that was just the norm them. Don't play it like we were thankful to pay it in a world of $5-10 apps. The iphone didn't yet exist to drive that market down.
    Crogs.. I never said doc2go was $200.. I said before docs2go was ever available for bberry there was only one option for office editing and it cost $200.. I forgot the name of the software, but I remember saying wow, glad I have docs2go bundled with my sprint treo 650

    [i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
  11. #191  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    So not a screen size issue, but it's another way I'm less productive on webOS.
    And iOS..

    [i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
  12. #192  
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Cubed View Post
    I dont know what carrier you are on but the Pre2 from what I understand is supposed to take care all of our hardware concerns for the Pre line. I am on Sprint and even if the Pre2 came to Sprint I dont think I would get it anyways... even though apparently refreshed hardware I would rather hold out for the HP phone.

    BTW Android OS sucks, yes everything is smooth most of the time but atleast WebOS is marginally better at managing its memory resources.

    Question... How many times have you loaded up task killer today?
    None actually, thanks for asking. U actually dont need a task killer. Instead of just babbling non sense like some of you guys do.. Ill support my statement above with facts. Do some reading before u make silly statements. Most people listen to uniformed users and go out and get a task killer when its not needed and it does more harm then anything. Alarm clocks not working because it kills them, shutting down things that android actually needs to run. Killing battery life because android keeps starting things it needs and the killer keeps killing them. Please actually read the links below so u know what your talking about next time.

    http://forum.androidcentral.com/272645-post317.html

    Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way

    http://forum.androidcentral.com/moto...k-killers.html

    http://www.androidcentral.com/how-pr...s-i-went-there

    Now the too many cards error is not a user issue with no cards open right? Thats not a great job at managing its memory resources. But im not attacking palm... Its a cool os.. But to say android sucks.. Thats your opinion, but dont go around spreading rumors about task killers to get people in favor of your opinion. Palm has issues too.. The cloud failing to restore peoples info ect. Considering the market share that android has I wouldnt say it sucks, they are doing something right. What does palm have again? How many apps are available? Its cool and maybe one day I may try it again but as I mentioned it has its flaws. Look at all the things android has built in that web os needs a patch for. So immagine all of the out of the box users that dont patch their devices.

    http://forum.androidcentral.com/gene...tml#post330430
    Last edited by youngzayiles; 10/28/2010 at 11:44 AM.
  13. #193  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    One other thing, even Apple was smart enough to increase the res of their screen with the iphone 4 even though they kept the screen size the same. They might be just as stubborn as Palm, but they at least did something to differentiate themselves from the competition. Which brings me to another productivity note, removable storage. As my collection of microSD grows, I've begun to use them in my digital cameras. It's very nice to be able to pop them out of the camera and into my phone to do some minor ( I did say minor) editing and send them off to facebook, picasa, emails and such as well as do some viewing with friends on that gorgeous screen. I can also keep files on othber cards and switch out with ease since my 16gb card is pretty much filled. I can't do that on webOS and hooking up to a pc isn't always feasible. Besides deleting files to make room for others is a PITA. So not a screen size issue, but it's another way I'm less productive on webOS.
    I agree I think thats a really smart move!
  14. #194  
    Oh one thing i noticed.

    Why is data transfer PAINFULLY slow on webos when pulling files to your computer?

    Like horribly slow. I moved a 100MB file the other day from my Evo to my computer and it felt like a normal memory card transfer. On the Pre it would take minutes.
  15. #195  
    To everyone who complains about screen size, really?

    iPhone has been praised over and over again, being called the best in mobile gaming and all. No one complains about screen size on the iPhone. The pre is only .4 inches smaller than the iPhone. 0.4 INCHES. And everyone complains. If Palm made the screen size only .4 inches bigger, would everyone still complain?

    Resolution. Is that really a big deal? You see the exact same thing on any phone. If the resolution is better on one, it may look a little cleaner but so what? I can see everything perfectly fine on my pre. Why does everyone complain about resolution? Just because other phones have better resolution so EVERY phone needs it?
  16. #196  
    [QUOTE=youngzayiles;2735538]None actually, thanks for asking. U actually dont need a task killer. Instead of just babbling non sense like some of you guys do.. Ill support my statement above with facts. Do some reading before u make silly statements. Most people listen to uniformed users and go out and get a task killer when its not needed and it does more harm then anything. Alarm clocks not working because it kills them, shutting down things that android actually needs to run. Killing battery life because android keeps starting things it needs and the killer keeps killing them. Please actually read the links below so u know what your talking about next time.

    [url]

    [url= Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way[/url]

    [url]

    [url]http://m.forums.precentral.net/

    Now the too many cards error is not a user issue with no cards open right? Thats not a great job at managing its memory resources. But im not attacking palm... Its a cool os.. But to say android sucks.. Thats your opinion, but dont go around spreading rumors about task killers to get people in favor of your opinion. Palm has issues too.. The cloud failing to restore peoples info ect. Considering the market share that android has I wouldnt say it sucks, they are doing something right. What does palm have again? How many apps are available? Its cool and maybe one day I may try it again but as I mentioned it has its flaws. Look at all the things android has built in that web os needs a patch for. So immagine all of the out of the box users that dont patch their devices.

    [url]

    Thanks for a reasonable, non-childish reply to whoever you were replying to. Far too often, people in here (on both sides of the fence) are starting arguments for starting arguments (or so it seems). You have some valid points in there and nice to see that someone can appreciate some aspects of webOS without picking every little thing apart to shreds. I'm not really an 'apple-hater' myself, I just really didn't like iTunes and as such, steered away from the iPhone, didn't care for BB too much either, left me between webOS and Android and all I recall prior to getting my Pre was all he talk from last years( or was it the year before) CES and the awards it won. It's what I wanted because that's what I remembered. For having such hoopla around that CES, I was fairly surprised that it do as well as it should have. But that's all history now, I have what I have, I like it, does what I want to do and wheb my contract's up who knows what'll be the next greatest thing.
  17. #197  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    To everyone who complains about screen size, really?

    iPhone has been praised over and over again, being called the best in mobile gaming and all. No one complains about screen size on the iPhone. The pre is only .4 inches smaller than the iPhone. 0.4 INCHES. And everyone complains. If Palm made the screen size only .4 inches bigger, would everyone still complain?
    .4 inches doesn't seem like much until you remember that it is .4 inches diagonal and that is equivalent to a little less than 15 percent of the effective viewing area, which is significant. Additionally, the bar is being pushed to screens larger than 3.5-inches just as the iPhone pushed it toward its 3.5-inch size when most screens were 2.8 inches max (i.e. HTC Touch). People got along with smaller screens perfectly fine prior to then, but now 2.8-inches is way too small. Did our eyes change? No. Just our popular perception of what we want in a smartphone.

    The definition changed again once the Droid hit. 3.1-inches is not competitive with the high end in 2011.

    Resolution. Is that really a big deal? You see the exact same thing on any phone. If the resolution is better on one, it may look a little cleaner but so what? I can see everything perfectly fine on my pre. Why does everyone complain about resolution? Just because other phones have better resolution so EVERY phone needs it?
    Because once the shift has occurred, it is difficult to go back. You might as well ask if HDTV is a big deal, then go into even a Wal-Mart or Target and try to find analog, SDTVs. It's the same thing on both sets, but "it's just a little cleaner" on the HDTV.
  18. #198  
    [QUOTE=sledge007;2735655]
    Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    None actually, thanks for asking. U actually dont need a task killer. Instead of just babbling non sense like some of you guys do.. Ill support my statement above with facts. Do some reading before u make silly statements. Most people listen to uniformed users and go out and get a task killer when its not needed and it does more harm then anything. Alarm clocks not working because it kills them, shutting down things that android actually needs to run. Killing battery life because android keeps starting things it needs and the killer keeps killing them. Please actually read the links below so u know what your talking about next time.

    [url]

    [url= Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way[/url]

    [url]

    [url]http://m.forums.precentral.net/

    Now the too many cards error is not a user issue with no cards open right? Thats not a great job at managing its memory resources. But im not attacking palm... Its a cool os.. But to say android sucks.. Thats your opinion, but dont go around spreading rumors about task killers to get people in favor of your opinion. Palm has issues too.. The cloud failing to restore peoples info ect. Considering the market share that android has I wouldnt say it sucks, they are doing something right. What does palm have again? How many apps are available? Its cool and maybe one day I may try it again but as I mentioned it has its flaws. Look at all the things android has built in that web os needs a patch for. So immagine all of the out of the box users that dont patch their devices.

    [url]

    Thanks for a reasonable, non-childish reply to whoever you were replying to. Far too often, people in here (on both sides of the fence) are starting arguments for starting arguments (or so it seems). You have some valid points in there and nice to see that someone can appreciate some aspects of webOS without picking every little thing apart to shreds. I'm not really an 'apple-hater' myself, I just really didn't like iTunes and as such, steered away from the iPhone, didn't care for BB too much either, left me between webOS and Android and all I recall prior to getting my Pre was all he talk from last years( or was it the year before) CES and the awards it won. It's what I wanted because that's what I remembered. For having such hoopla around that CES, I was fairly surprised that it do as well as it should have. But that's all history now, I have what I have, I like it, does what I want to do and wheb my contract's up who knows what'll be the next greatest thing.
    Yeah im not here to bash web os at all... Some parts of web os I really like... I swear to this day I miss the notifications.. I mean the pull down bar in android is ok I guess but u cant even delete one notification without clearing all of them.. With web os u can leave individual ones swipe away one etc.. Immagine that on a bigger screen... Mouthwatering.. Im no fan**i... Ill probably even test out windows phone 7 but not for a while because windows 6.5 SUCKED and left a bad taste in my mouth and no multitasking bothers me too.. But eventually ill check it out
  19. #199  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    .4 inches doesn't seem like much until you remember that it is .4 inches diagonal and that is equivalent to a little less than 15 percent of the effective viewing area, which is significant. Additionally, the bar is being pushed to screens larger than 3.5-inches just as the iPhone pushed it toward its 3.5-inch size when most screens were 2.8 inches max (i.e. HTC Touch). People got along with smaller screens perfectly fine prior to then, but now 2.8-inches is way too small. Did our eyes change? No. Just our popular perception of what we want in a smartphone.

    The definition changed again once the Droid hit. 3.1-inches is not competitive with the high end in 2011.



    Because once the shift has occurred, it is difficult to go back. You might as well ask if HDTV is a big deal, then go into even a Wal-Mart or Target and try to find analog, SDTVs. It's the same thing on both sets, but "it's just a little cleaner" on the HDTV.
    My point being, slightly bigger screen and higher resolution...whoopty doo. I think you said it best when you said its "Just our popular perception of what we want in a smartphone." Is it necessary? Not really. Its just what people WANT, not NEED. But again, why? Its a handheld PHONE, not a HDTV you mount on your wall to watch movies.
  20. #200  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    To everyone who complains about screen size, really?

    iPhone has been praised over and over again, being called the best in mobile gaming and all. No one complains about screen size on the iPhone. The pre is only .4 inches smaller than the iPhone. 0.4 INCHES. And everyone complains. If Palm made the screen size only .4 inches bigger, would everyone still complain?

    Resolution. Is that really a big deal? You see the exact same thing on any phone. If the resolution is better on one, it may look a little cleaner but so what? I can see everything perfectly fine on my pre. Why does everyone complain about resolution? Just because other phones have better resolution so EVERY phone needs it?
    Do you really need it explained to you why a bigger screen or better resolution is desirable? Really?
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions