Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    Apple App Store surpasses 300,000 apps available


    Correction, Steve Jobs said 300,000 the official word from Apple is now 280,000 with Android officially at 100,000 in its market and lots more outside the market.

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-30684_3-20...CmoreStories.0
    Last edited by kinster02; 10/25/2010 at 10:59 PM.
  2. #2  
    And I still can never seem to find what I am looking for on my ipod touch. You end up sorting through junk for an hour. Downloading a bunch of apps and trying them only to find out you need to keep looking for the right one.
  3. #3  
    Did Adam & Eve have the first apple? (lol)...
  4. #4  
    Yeah, although Webos users are severely limited, I would rather have the Android Market than the Apple store any day.
  5. #5  
    Searching the android market is a pain, but i use appbrain and androidcentral to do the heavy lifting for me.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Searching the android market is a pain, but i use appbrain and androidcentral to do the heavy lifting for me.
    It does need to be redesigned but I'd rather search the Android Market over the iPhone any day.
  7. #7  
    Of course you would. Search and Top Ten Lists are your friends....

    That said: 14 million iPhones sold this past quarter (and 9 million iPods) so someone likes it.
  8. #8  
    And in other news, the sun came out...
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Searching the android market is a pain, but i use appbrain and androidcentral to do the heavy lifting for me.
    The first app any new Android user needs is AppBrain.

    By far the worst thing about Android is the Android Market. AppBrain make the Android Market fun. Too bad Apple iwll not allow others to set up front ends for iTunes.
  10. #10  
    What does AppBrain do that iTunes doesn't? Not doubting you, I am really just wondering. I have never used AppBrain before, and have little experience using Android Market unless I had the actual title of an app.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The first app any new Android user needs is AppBrain.

    By far the worst thing about Android is the Android Market. AppBrain make the Android Market fun. Too bad Apple iwll not allow others to set up front ends for iTunes.
    Not directly on the device but sites like iPad Apps, iPhone Apps, Deals and Discovery at App Shopper - Popular Recent Changes are pretty helpful.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    And in other news, the sun came out...
    Actually, I that's not due to happen until tomorrow. You can bet your bottom dollar on it
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    What does AppBrain do that iTunes doesn't? Not doubting you, I am really just wondering. I have never used AppBrain before, and have little experience using Android Market unless I had the actual title of an app.
    From the Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks

    The official Android App website does not even allow searches. AppBrain lets you search all 100,000+ apps in the Android Marketplace from your phone or computer. So open your Android Market app and search for AppBrain and install it. Then install Fast Web Installer so that you can pick apps right from the AppBrain Website. The Apprbrain website also has recommendations, wallpaper, and more.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The first app any new Android user needs is AppBrain.

    By far the worst thing about Android is the Android Market. AppBrain make the Android Market fun. Too bad Apple iwll not allow others to set up front ends for iTunes.
    Chomp
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Doesn't sound like you'd need AppBrain with the App Store. You can already do that.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Doesn't sound like you'd need AppBrain with the App Store. You can already do that.
    You can't install (not just download, but download and install) apps from any computer as you can do with appbrain.

    One of the best features of it.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Actually, I that's not due to happen until tomorrow. You can bet your bottom dollar on it
    God I hope your right.
  18. #18  
    I have a hard enough time going thru the Pre app catalog, lol!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!


  19. #19  
    And out of 300,000 apps, 220,000 have only been downloaded by the author. Another 18,000 have been downloaded by his/her spouse as well. 17,500 have been downloaded less than 40 times, of which 16,750 were deleted within 3 minutes. 40,000 of the remaining have been run less than 10 times, most of which would be deleted but the users can't figure out how.
    Author of Exch-Calc, Dog Years, Cat Years and all future creations of Pre-zy Software. Available in the Application Catalog.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken M View Post
    And out of 300,000 apps, 220,000 have only been downloaded by the author. Another 18,000 have been downloaded by his/her spouse as well. 17,500 have been downloaded less than 40 times, of which 16,750 were deleted within 3 minutes. 40,000 of the remaining have been run less than 10 times, most of which would be deleted but the users can't figure out how.

    Keeping in mind the only company I hate more than Apple is Walmart,
    Although there is some truth to what you're saying [it is in no way to the extent you are demonstrating here] there are a couple of things to keep in mind.

    First, even if we conservatively estimate the amount of "useful" apps for the iphone, it still dwarfs webos "useful" apps 1000 fold.

    Most importantly, anyone that understands psychology or business psychology understands that this is more about the "idea" of having 300,000 options than it is actually having 300,000 options.

    It's unlikely that anyone has actually completely gone through the list of Android apps much less iPhone apps.

    Being able to say you have 300,000 apps available, even if only 25% or less are actually "useful" is a lot better than saying "we have 2,000 apps and 50% are solid".

Posting Permissions