Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just listened to the latest Engadget podcast. Toward the end, JT suggested that the iPhone on Verizon would be like dropping a nuclear bomb on the industry. I happen to think he is right.

The only reason Android took off is that Verizon was getting their lunch eaten by the iPhone/AT&T tag-team. Verizon only had the Storm. They spent untold millions for the Droid, and they pushed it for all it was worth. Had there been a Verizon iPhone at that time, there would have been no Droid. It is fair to say that a good percentage of Verizon customers have Android phones because the iPhone is not an option.

Now, Android has had time to make a name for itself and get a few legitimate fans. In a few months, we get to see how many real Android users there are, as opposed to users who just didn't have access to the iPhone.

At the very least, I think every non-iPhone sold on Verizon gets price cuts to free or less. Android will have fewer places to hide. And, I have to think that a Sprint iPhone couldn't be too far behind Verizon. There is no reason not to expect the iPhone on all four carriers.

So, does that spell phone-pocalypse, or will the industry not even notice?

Thoughts.
    I agree. I don't think many others here will think the same simply based n their dislike for Apple products.

I will not be getting an iPhone, have an iPod and wil be getting a new one soon enough.

I almost wish I was an iPhone fan though, the Pre 2 was not worth the year wait for a new device.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    I don't see a sprint iPhone happening unless sprint moves to LTE. The initial Verizon phone will probably be cdma only but there will be an integrated LTE version by 2012 that supports VZ, ATT, and most other carriers. Apple won't make a standalone wimax phone for sprint.

Tmobile is next in line I think.
    I think it depends on whether the call quality is any better than it is on at&t. I've discovered that I can tell when I am talking to an iphone user. Within the first 30 seconds, I will hear that tinny sound and dropped words. Even when I can hear every word, there is a digital tone to their voice that is distinct.

can't really say if it is the hardware or at&t, or some of each. I never had that when I was on at&t but that was many years ago.

once it's on vz, apple won't be able to blame the carrier for their problems.

if the vzw iphone call quality is as bad as the current at&t iphones, vzw users won't put up with it, or they would already have switched. The 'best' network has set higher expectations for most vzw users for coverage, no dropped calls, and call quality. IMHO
    Apple probably won't have a 4g phone for either anytime soon.

It's a fight between Apple, Micrsoft, and Google.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    I don't see a sprint iPhone happening unless sprint moves to LTE.
    There is already a CDMA iPhone for other parts of the world. How hard could it be to adjust the frequencies to work with Sprint and Verizon? As you can tell, I know nothing about how these things work.

But, even if you are right, wouldn't that do bad things to Sprint as the only carrier without an iPhone. Then again, It might be just the thing for the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    There is already a CDMA iPhone for other parts of the world. How hard could it be to adjust the frequencies to work with Sprint and Verizon? As you can tell, I know nothing about how these things work.

But, even if you are right, wouldn't that do bad things to Sprint as the only carrier without an iPhone. Then again, It might be just the thing for the Pre.
    Yes, apple can create a CDMA phone for sprint; but why do so if there's no foundation for a long term relationship (I.e., LTE)?

Might be a good thing for sprint if it becomes the safe haven for android phones (like VZ has been).
    I'm assuming the vzw iphone will have LTE, but it will also need to work on the CDMA network because vzw won't be 100% LTE for several years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    once it's on vz, apple won't be able to blame the carrier for their problems.

if the vzw iphone call quality is as bad as the current at&t iphones, vzw users won't put up with it, or they would already have switched. The 'best' network has set higher expectations for most vzw users for coverage, no dropped calls, and call quality. IMHO
    As a former at&t Tech Support manager I can for sure tell you that the company policy for at&t and Apple when it came to network issues was "blame at&t". Even though there is plenty of evidence that the iPhone's network issues have more to do with the way the iPhone acquires IP through DHCP when using 3G than with at&t. We'll see how generous Verizon is with allowing their much lauded network being insuluted by the average know-nothing iLifer.
    why would at&t's policy to take the blame for iPhone issues? Are they that much afraid of steve jobs?
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I'm assuming the vzw iphone will have LTE, but it will also need to work on the CDMA network because vzw won't be 100% LTE for several years.
    I am certain there will be no LTE on th iPhone in 2011... Apple does not like to be the test dummy... They will wait for others to work out the kinks and use proven tech in the meantime
    the iphone was first in numerous ways. Itunes activation, itunes store, controlled channels (remember when they would only sell them if you used a credit card so they could track people reselling them?

remote updates (via itunes) and proactive effort to undo jailbreaking, front facing camera, webkit browser, etc etc.

apple can only charge such outrageous prices if they are ahead of everyone else.

i'll take the bet.

Vzw wants to serve at&t a one-two punch. Iphone on a better network, and credible LTE before at&t to further pound the 'better network' value.
  13.    #13  
    I can see the potential for this thread going off the rails quickly. Just a reminder, this is not a debate on whether or not it will come to Verizon. The discussion is based on the assumption that it will. It is also not a discussion of the relative merits of the iPhone compared to other products. It is intended to focus on the industry effects assuming the Verizon iPhone lands soon.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I think a Verizon iPhone will take a good deal of new customers, but from the feature phone segment, not Android. Android has established itself as a viable OS and has it's loyal following. While some Droid users will surely defect I don't think it will be a in "nuclear bomb" type numbers.

While it's easy to say the iPhone spurred the development of the Droid lineup b/c it's true, I don't buy the assumption that Droid users are all just filling the missing void of not having an iPhone.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    the key is verizon wants it to take customerd from at&t, and there is a significant population that wants an iphone but won't use at&t - myself included.

smart people chose the carrier first based on their needs - not the phone.

there are many iphone users that are dying to move to sprint for the better network, but won't give up the iphone. At&t is desperate to counter that, which is why they are now in bed with nokia and android. They are about to get hammered by iphone users jumping to vzw. And apple sells a zillion new phones to their existing base. Everyone wins except at&t.
    There will be some impact but I think that you simply have to look at how the Samsung Captivate has done on at&t. Samsung sold a million between that and the Vibrant on T-Mobile in amonth, and this is right at the same time iPhone 4 launched. ATT still sells it for the full $199, and it is a best seller on Amazon too.

As long as each carrier gets a superphone with Android, the platform will continue to thrive. The sheer selection of price points and form factors all but guarantees it. People are starting to get used to 4-inch plus screens and Google apps. They will get used to more things that Apple cannot offer, and the biggest games and apps are all becoming cross platform between the two.

The notion that Android needs "places to hide" is laughable. It is doimg fine exactly where Apple is, and sells great abroad where iPhones are abundantly available on any carrier. Samsung sold more Galaxy S phones in countries with the iPhone freely available than ones where it was on one carrier. There is your answer.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    There will be some impact but I think that you simply have to look at how the Samsung Captivate has done on at&t. Samsung sold a million between that and the Vibrant on T-Mobile in month,
    Why even bring up the Vibrant? I found your captivate for less than $30 without trying. I assume you are not counting those. I am sure you are not counting Galaxy S phones on Verizon that are advertised as bogof. You just mean the ones sold at AT&T stores for the same price as the iPhone, right?

For the sake of argument, let's pretend that Apple will allow Verizon to sell the iPhone on the same basis as all their other phones. I contend bogof iPhones sold with the same contract prices as any other phone would just about run Android out of business. Can't wait to see those Amazon, Wirefly, Let's Talk, and BB iPhones that are free with contract. When that happens, I will be glad to listen to you talk about how Android is holding its own in head to head sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Samsung sold more Galaxy S phones in countries with the iPhone freely available than ones where it was on one carrier. There is your answer.
    Where did you get that info? I couldn't find that. Did you just make that up?

Samsung has sold five million Galaxy S phones since the line launched in June, the company announced Wednesday.
    Samsung sold two million Galaxy S devices in the U.S. and one million in Korea. This means that in just four months, Samsung has almost matched its smartphone sales figures from last year, Reuters reported.
    This was dated 10-6-2010 from this article..

Samsung Galaxy S Sales Hit 5M Worldwide, 2M in U.S. | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

We know that Apple sold 3 million in the first weekend the iPhone 4 was available and every analyst in this article...

Apple analysts' frenzied Q4 round-up - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech

says Apple to have sold anywhere from 10 to 12 million iPhones in the last quarter.

The PC Mag article accounted for 3 million of those Samsung phones being sold in the US and Korea. Are saying that the other 2 million phones spread out over the rest of the world really sold all that great compared to the iPhone that sold more than double that amount?

Where are the facts?
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Why even bring up the Vibrant?
    Because Samsung lumped all US sales together for devices sold before the Fascinate or Epic were released in the "1 million sold" press release they issued. For accuracy's sake, I must include it.

I found your captivate for less than $30 without trying. I assume you are not counting those. I am sure you are not counting Galaxy S phones on Verizon that are advertised as bogof. You just mean the ones sold at AT&T stores for the same price as the iPhone, right?
    I guess you like having this silly canard smacked down repeatedly, so here goes. Those discounts are for NEW customers to a carrier only, and the vast majority of sales for EVERY device - iPhone 4 included - are to EXISTING customers to a carrier. Your quibbling over price or BOGO is just ridiculous. A sale is a sale, and no playing field is level. I'm sure everyone who sells an upcoming tablet would love for Apple to be limited to the same points of sale and price points they are, but sorry....Apple is able to transcend those limitations and they aren't. Do iPad sales count less because of it? Of course not.

For the sake of argument, let's pretend that Apple will allow Verizon to sell the iPhone on the same basis as all their other phones. I contend bogof iPhones sold with the same contract prices as any other phone would just about run Android out of business. Can't wait to see those Amazon, Wirefly, Let's Talk, and BB iPhones that are free with contract. When that happens, I will be glad to listen to you talk about how Android is holding its own in head to head sales.
    No, you won't. No amount of rational thinking will get you to relinquish this goofy talking point. We've had this argument 50 different ways from Sunday. You won't accept any conclusion that doesn't salute Apple's dominance as the best thing in the history of Ever.
    And actually, I misspoke earlier. In Korea, it's only on one carrier like America, where the iPhone 3G and 3GS sold like the Omnia II to start with, and now is facing significant largescale complaints about low quality with the the arrival of iPhone 4. Maybe that explains why Galaxy S is doing so well there...dunno.

Anyway, I guess we table this discussion to the next time it gets rehashed by you gents.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast