Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I guess you like having this silly canard smacked down...
    Why don't you just admit defeat. It is silly to keep pretending that the price of things does not matter to consumers, and the people who sell them.

    Again, you fail to address the even playing field by asserting that there is no such thing. The Verizon iPhone brings it much closer to reality. And a free and bogof iPhone destroys Android.

    Thing is, you seem like a really smart guy save for this blind spot. It is so ridiculous, I can't even bring myself to dislike you for it.
  2. #22  
    A good reason for the iPhone losing market share is the fact it's on such a crappy network and has been stuck there.

    However, I don't think that the iPhone moving to Verizon will "win" the whole game.

    The iPhone has the disadvantage of being the same phone over and over. Thus, if you don't like the form factor...you are completely out of the picture as a consumer. That's only one, of many reasons that I can think of, for why the iPhone moving won't "win" the industry.


    I DO however believe that ATT losing the iPhone exclusivity will probably KILL ATT as a cell phone service provider.

    It's all they have and it's all they've had for a long time.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Why don't you just admit defeat. It is silly to keep pretending that the price of things does not matter to consumers, and the people who sell them.

    Again, you fail to address the even playing field by asserting that there is no such thing. The Verizon iPhone brings it much closer to reality. And a free and bogof iPhone destroys Android.

    Thing is, you seem like a really smart guy save for this blind spot. It is so ridiculous, I can't even bring myself to dislike you for it.
    I....I am in disbelief that someone is so myopic as to think that Verizon controls the fate of entire industries across the globe. The iPhone NOT being on Verizon neither granted ATT number one status NOR destroyed Verizon. While the Droid line help bolster Android's fortunes, it was already on a trajectory to success with the European and Sprint launches of the HTC Hero prior. Afterward, Samsung sold a million Galaxy S phones on non-Verizon carriers in the space of a month or so, and have sold millions more since.

    Finally, dude....it aint that serious. No one or nothing is getting "destroyed". There's no "defeat" to admit since I am not locked in a battle of any sorts. If you think that "Android phones are sold on for free or BOGO" because Verizon does it for new customers, there's nothing I can do to dissuade you of that notion, anymore than I could convince a birther that our President is legitimately a citizen.

    As they say...I don't really have a dog in this fight. You obviously do. I wouldn't get an iPhone regardless of which carrier it's on because it doesn't suit me at this time. But I never say never. My current (and favorite ever thus far) device is an Epic 4G. But when Samsung was rocking the Moment and the original Galaxy as their flagships in the US, I would've said the same thing about them that I just did about iPhone. Before I saw Windows Phone 7, Microsoft was off my radar. I JUST bought my wife a used iPod Touch as a replacement for last one. If certain things were different, I would totally wholeheartedly support Apple products.

    I just want what works best for me at the time. That's all that matters. All of these companies (except for Palm) are making money hand over fist. If one is making a gazillion instead of a kabillion, so what?
  4. #24  
    the iphone is available for all three major carries in canada but other phones are doing just fine. I actually know more people with android phones than with iphones. then again, I am a software engineering student so that's probably not very surprising..
  5. #25  
    Just like there are still plenty of ATT customers that do not have iPhones, there will still remain plenty of non iPhone customers when it hits other retailers. I think the biggest thing you will see is a ton of customers leave ATT when their contracts are up for better service on Verizon.
  6. brendu's Avatar
    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I just want what works best for me at the time. That's all that matters. All of these companies (except for Palm) are making money hand over fist. If one is making a gazillion instead of a kabillion, so what?
    Palm made 1.2 Billion dollars last quarter....
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by brendu View Post
    Palm made 1.2 Billion dollars last quarter....
    Now, now, that's not very nice... but freaking hilarious.
  8.    #28  
    Here are a trio of articles to jumpstart your weekend.

    AT&T Reports 5.2 Million iPhone Activations :: App Advice

    This should debunk the myth that the iPhone is no longer bringing in new subscribers. AT&T added a record number of subscribers. But, what does that mean for Verizon?

    Verizon turning to iPhone because Droid doesn’t bring the subscribers?

    Verizon gains 0.9M net subscribers, while AT&T tripled that number with 2.6M, (close enough). So much for the notion that Android is bringing in the subscribers for Verizon like the iPhone is for AT&T. So how's Rim doing?

    Apple Overtakes RIM In Global Smartphone Market Share | iPhone Apps Review

    Not so well. The iPhone has overtaken it in worldwide marketshare. Hello Nokia.

    When you consider that the iPhone is only three years old, one might argue that the iPhone on AT&T has already started phone-a-geddon. Expanding to Verizon is like sending in the ground troops after a successful air assault. I think it's going to be a blood bath.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Verizon turning to iPhone because Droid doesn’t bring the subscribers?

    Verizon gains 0.9M net subscribers, while AT&T tripled that number with 2.6M, (close enough).
    AT&T also have a long way to go [and come from].
    AT&T flat out had the worst network of the big three.

    The fact is that Verizon would be stupid to not big the iPhone over to it's network. Verizon is in direct competition with AT&T. Offering the iPhone on a perceived better network will surely bring over a good percentage of AT&T customers..
    I honestly think it will kill AT&T.
    AT&T has nothing hardware wise besides the iPhone.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I honestly think it will kill AT&T.
    AT&T has nothing hardware wise besides the iPhone.
    That is not what the surveys say. The smart money is on AT&T surviving quite nicely.

    I have no intention to switch. My service is fine. The problem with iPhone reception is that too many people who live outside of good AT&T service buy the iPhone anyway. Now they can go to the network that makes more sense for them. This will not take much away from AT&T; it will simply add another portal for millions more subscribers. It is not AT&T than needs to be worried about switchers; it is Android handset makers.
  11. #31  
    I think this is a step towards more dominece for Apples Iphone products moving to Verizon. Think about it, with AT&T not having a great selling phone for the last 3 years besides the iphone, they have knocked on the door of Verizon to almost as of late capturing the #1 spot. Now android no doubt has made headlines for the last year, they still fail to sell that many more devices on 4 carriers as Apple has done on one. With Apple going to Verizon it more then henders androids sales, in the sense of the 78% of people that do not have smartphones, will know that product just because its "A IPHONE". I also don't look to much at overseas because Nokia still doubled what Apple did the last Quarter, and they havent had a flagship device in years. So that says other countrys taste of course are different. To me Apple if you like it or not, will become a Nokia here in the states selling 20 to 30 million devices a Quarter with just being on 2 carriers. Regardless of what Android throws in the mix. Now with windows 7 launching, people will start to double look at android, because most people pick up a android device because of how it looks, and Windows phones will have a similar if not better look. To me I think 2011 will see Apple double their profits for the year, and android split it with windows phone 7 devices.
  12. #32  
    Alright, lots of news sites starting with WSJ have reported a verizon iphone with no real reports from apple, AT&t, or verizon. in fact Verizon actually said that a verizon iphone is not likely any time soon. At&t's exclusivity contract goes to 2012. I think all these sites were mislead by one source. a Verizon iphone was been rumored since the release. Its really not likely to be honest, but I guess I will believe it when I see it.
    Last edited by manordwall; 10/23/2010 at 10:06 PM.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    I think a Verizon iPhone will take a good deal of new customers, but from the feature phone segment, not Android. Android has established itself as a viable OS and has it's loyal following. While some Droid users will surely defect I don't think it will be a in "nuclear bomb" type numbers.

    While it's easy to say the iPhone spurred the development of the Droid lineup b/c it's true, I don't buy the assumption that Droid users are all just filling the missing void of not having an iPhone.

    [i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    I wouldn't be so sure. sure there are some techie type people who like google, or apple haters, but the general puclic loves apple. at work everyone has verizon, virginia is a HEAVY verizon based area. almost everyone at work is excited that a new iphone is coming out supposidly. they don't care about loyalty to any os, I know many people who hate the droids, as they call all google phones.. to them, it's simply a touchscreen phone. apple has one thing google doesn't and it's simplicity in an intuitive attractive package ( I guess that's 3) it's easy for anyone to pick up and use and is fun to use. I don't think android can be considered fun to use. atleast generally. webos yes, I think when it's as smooth as ios performance wise it will surpass it as it is simple as well, however market wise it's ios vs google and any carier with iphone's will not sell nearly as many of any other phone until one truly competes with it's strengths, which I see webos doing before android.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Here are a trio of articles to jumpstart your weekend.

    AT&T Reports 5.2 Million iPhone Activations :: App Advice

    This should debunk the myth that the iPhone is no longer bringing in new subscribers. AT&T added a record number of subscribers. But, what does that mean for Verizon?

    Verizon turning to iPhone because Droid doesn’t bring the subscribers?

    Verizon gains 0.9M net subscribers, while AT&T tripled that number with 2.6M, (close enough). So much for the notion that Android is bringing in the subscribers for Verizon like the iPhone is for AT&T. So how's Rim doing?

    Apple Overtakes RIM In Global Smartphone Market Share | iPhone Apps Review

    Not so well. The iPhone has overtaken it in worldwide marketshare. Hello Nokia.

    When you consider that the iPhone is only three years old, one might argue that the iPhone on AT&T has already started phone-a-geddon. Expanding to Verizon is like sending in the ground troops after a successful air assault. I think it's going to be a blood bath.
    Nah, not really. Apple isn't the only company eating up RIM and Nokia marketshare. Android handset makers are doing just fine both here and in countries where the iPhone is on sale in multiple carriers.

    This is the quarter iPhone 4 launched, so it should be doing blockbuster numbers and ATT should reap the benefits accordingly. But the same thing happened last year. Apple's one-and-done release cycle allows plenty of breathing room for HTC, Samsung, and Motorola to get a foothold, which they will with their own blockbuster handset announcements and launches from CES until the time iPhone 5 launches.

    When Verizon gets the iPhone, there will be a similar shift. But things always level out.
  15. #35  
    I think that the iPhone will be announced for Verizon at CES and preorders will be taken a week or two after for delivery by the end of the January, beginning of February.
  16. #36  
    not just Wall street confermed it:

    Apple Making Verizon-Ready iPhone by Year End - WSJ.com

    also more release info:

    Verizon iPhone 5 (not iPhone 4) and iPad 2 paint multi-carrier picture : Beatweek Magazine

    and they are staffing up for the launch:

    Verizon Staffing Up Call Centers for iPhone Launch? - Yahoo! News


    all recent news its a no brainer that Verizon is getting the Iphone. Not just looking at how close AT&T has gotten in what 3 to 4 years with the iphone, but also the threat Android has become to Apple.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions